HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings @ Sharks Game #2 - 4/16/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The NHL Network already has a history will be made video featuring Doughty's game last night. Lovin' it.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The NHL Network already has a history will be made video featuring Doughty's game last night. Lovin' it.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
It sucked all season. It clicked...hell let's say dominated.... for ONE game. How sooon we forget how horrid it was all year.
I think it has a whole lot more to do with The Sharks' inability to block shots with their bodies/ not boxing out in front of the goalie/not pressuring the points too much. If they pressure Johnson/Doughty, not only do the Kings not get their opportunities, but they may even turn that puck over in forced passes like we've seen throughout the season.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Ollie Weeks

The Sharks board seems pretty pissed with their PK system, which from what I gather is focused on eliminating east-west passes to the vulnerable back door of the crease. Which is baffling considering we haven't made one of those since the Bush administration. Were they to just key to our points, the PP would be its usual debacle.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:23 PM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
That's awesome. I was hoping someone would post his post-goal celebration: "F---- yeah!"

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:57 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Great article.

I do feel vindicated for all of the heat that I have taken over being such a strong Westgarth supporter from before the season started. I didn't think that TM and co would continually limit him to 2mins per game to start the season but once he started getting regular shifts and enough ice time to figure things out he did start showing what I and a few others had been saying all along and that is that he has NHL caliber game/skills.

That said I am not certain that he will reach the potential that I saw in him at Princeton on the offensive side of the game but, as an enforcer with good hockey sense who is a real character/team guy that can be an effective defencive forward I think he has proven himself at least capable of that.

With A Mart, Westy, Lewis and Clifford all coming up and doing so well this year and with Kozun, Schenn, Toffi and Vey all high end skill guys who are right there or a year or so away I think you have to give massive credit to our GM and scouting system.

We are truly loaded with good to great talent and the draft/sign to NHL % is quite astonishing in my opinion.

We are overloaded with NHL caliber D talent that we are close to a use it or move/lose it with some of our blueline prospects and we also have two at least NHL caliber goalie's in Jones and Berube.

Great job DL and co.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:54 AM
SLang

Great commercial....

I wanted to ask about the timeout that Murray took at the end of the game. Late in the third, protecting Quick's shutout, he took a timeout after a Kings icing where the players had been on the ice for a while. He obviously did it to let them rest before the next puck drop. San Jose fans booed, which I understood, but I also saw a few comments in our GDT that sort of derided Murray for the timeout, one even used the word "unnecessary". Why?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:13 PM
MollerManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Great commercial....

I wanted to ask about the timeout that Murray took at the end of the game. Late in the third, protecting Quick's shutout, he took a timeout after a Kings icing where the players had been on the ice for a while. He obviously did it to let them rest before the next puck drop. San Jose fans booed, which I understood, but I also saw a few comments in our GDT that sort of derided Murray for the timeout, one even used the word "unnecessary". Why?
This is just my opinion.

Unnecessary for the win.... yes. But beating the pacific division champs at home by blanking them 4-0 really sends the point across for the whole series. I feel 10x more confident in this team winning the last game 4-0 and not, say, even 4-1. Good confidence move by Murray.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Tadite

Quote:
derided Murray for the timeout, one even used the word "unnecessary". Why?

The reason is that some people are so negative that even being up 4-0 they want to whine about something. Particularly if it's a Murray decision.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:32 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
This is just my opinion.

Unnecessary for the win.... yes. But beating the pacific division champs at home by blanking them 4-0 really sends the point across for the whole series. I feel 10x more confident in this team winning the last game 4-0 and not, say, even 4-1. Good confidence move by Murray.
This is NOT directed at you but at the thought that what Murray did was unnecessary - LOL, here I am thinking that a BIG point of hockey is to keep the opponent from scoring at ALL times. Silly me.....

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:45 PM
MollerManor

Quote:
This is NOT directed at you but at the thought that what Murray did was unnecessary - LOL, here I am thinking that a BIG point of hockey is to keep the opponent from scoring at ALL times. Silly me.....

I take pride in completely crushing teams this season... we are such a low scoring team its rare and in this case, came when it really mattered.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
FroFan

Quote:
Exactly. Besides, even if it only turns a 4-0 win into a 4-1 win, why give the Sharks anything to build off going into the next game? It was the right decision. He wasn't rubbing anybody's nose in it (which seems to be what the complaining is about), just making sure his players were rested.

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Brophy

when Murray called that time out, the energy started swinging the Sharks way. The vibe in the building started getting pretty intense too. When he called that, the fans hit the eject button.

I thought it was a good call to calm it all down.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:27 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Oh and I thought that the timeout was a good call for two reasons. The first is that TM actually did something during a game that was proactive and with forethought.

The second is that it did rest our players but it also gutted the little bit of momentum the sharks were starting to build.

It wasn't a big deal thing in as far as its impact on the game would be but, it was a pretty big thing in keeping our players connected to our coaching staff and that is something that we see so rarely with TM that I thought it was a good and solid call on his part.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
I am pro timeout.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
It sucked all season. It clicked...hell let's say dominated.... for ONE game. How sooon we forget how horrid it was all year.
The pp system didn't suck all season. The execution did.

It's very interesting (and telling) that the power play execution has improved with Anze out of the line up. Puck distribution improves when other players are forced to participate rather than relying on Anze. That's opening up a lot of shot and passing lanes. Maybe Anze needs to adjust his PP responsibilities?

The D and Quick were outstanding. For me, it's great to see grit and determination rewarded - the role guys were superb, Simmonds was a terrier on puck possession, Clifford rewarded for an amazing rookie season. Westgarth is only going to get better and be even more difficult to play against. The thing about the Kings at this stage of their development is these kids are developing and polishing their games on NHL ice. Most role players have the luxury of developing in the minors and out of the spotlight while their bonehead plays are weaned out of them. Westgarth, Clifford, and Lewis didn't have that privilege, so it's great to see their effort from all year rewarded like this. (imo, another reason Schenn didn't need to pop up and use ice time)

Great system and great team win.

Last edited by Duc620: 04-18-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:13 PM
lumbergh

The SJ announcers made a good point on Terry Murray's time out. Something to the effect of "Murray really wants Quick to get that shutout." Game is out of reach for the Sharks, but things like that have an effect for morale on the team. Settle it down and remind everyone that you're playing for each other. Let Quick know that his game is appreciated.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
The SJ announcers made a good point on Terry Murray's time out. Something to the effect of "Murray really wants Quick to get that shutout." Game is out of reach for the Sharks, but things like that have an effect for morale on the team. Settle it down and remind everyone that you're playing for each other. Let Quick know that his game is appreciated.
This. Additionally, Terry Murray telling the team, every shift matters and our team is not going to concede ANYTHING to the Sharks or allow them to have ANYTHING positive going into game 3.

Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:54 PM
DeeMeck

So...no blackout tomorrow? Hopefully we will have towels.

Whoever came up with pom-poms for San Jose needs to be fired.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:05 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
This. Additionally, Terry Murray telling the team, every shift matters and our team is not going to concede ANYTHING to the Sharks or allow them to have ANYTHING positive going into game 3.
Yep. I was actually surprised Murray called the timeout. Not because it wasn't appropriate but just because he rarely uses his timeout even in the most obvious situations. I liked it though. As you said, it's a great reminder to a young team that every shift matters, regardless of the situation. Play hard. Play fast. Play till the very end. The demoralizing effect it can have on the opposition is a nice ancillary benefit as well.

04-18-2011, 03:12 PM
itstheo54

people on the sharks forums are still so pissed, they are talking about trading Thornton...WTF hahahaha.

itstheo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheo54 View Post
people on the sharks forums are still so pissed, they are talking about trading Thornton...WTF hahahaha.
I don't really blame them. It's one thing to not produce as much as is expected when the games matter. It's another thing to not even try. I was embarrassed watching Thornton bumble around the ice last game and I want Thornton to fail in the series.

Not saying they should trade him but I certainly understand their frustration.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I don't really blame them. It's one thing to not produce as much as is expected when the games matter. It's another thing to not even try. I was embarrassed watching Thornton bumble around the ice last game and I want Thornton to fail in the series.

Not saying they should trade him but I certainly understand their frustration.
Well whoever thought it was a good idea in the first place to make the guy who has a history of disappearing when the games matter most the friggin captain is an IDIOT. Joe Thornton as captain? Come on. Why would they walk into a worse captaincy for the playoffs than Marleau had been? Are they hoping that it will have the effect on Thornton as it did Marleau when they take it away from him?

For a team that used to be ALL character (Nolan, Ricci, Damphousse) to name two gutless players captain, with the ****** bag Blake wedged in between, is just ridiculous. McLellan is a great coach, he isn't the problem, that locker room is the problem.

The sooner they name Pavelski their captain, the better off they will be.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheo54 View Post

I could actually see him being dealt to Toronto. Or should I say, "Thornonto".

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Well whoever thought it was a good idea in the first place to make the guy who has a history of disappearing when the games matter most the friggin captain is an IDIOT. Joe Thornton as captain? Come on. Why would they walk into a worse captaincy for the playoffs than Marleau had been? Are they hoping that it will have the effect on Thornton as it did Marleau when they take it away from him?

For a team that used to be ALL character (Nolan, Ricci, Damphousse) to name two gutless players captain, with the ****** bag Blake wedged in between, is just ridiculous. McLellan is a great coach, he isn't the problem, that locker room is the problem.

The sooner they name Pavelski their captain, the better off they will be.
... See, it's posts like this where I'm not sure if you're really being serious, or if this is just another ironic ha-ha post to take another jab at the Sharks.

That "all character" team didn't do any more than the current team has done in the playoffs. The team's coming off of getting beat in the conference finals by the eventual champion, right? Not too bad of an effort if you ask me; particularly when you consider that Nabokov played terribly in the postseason.

Nolan's tenure as captain wasn't too special. They never got past the second round during that time. They had rotating captains during 2003-04, when they went to the conference final. By then, Damphousse was playing his last season and Ricci was on the way out as well.

Beyond that, how well can you determine what these past captains were like in the room? You can't, can you? To dismiss "the ****** bag Blake" as gutless or whatever just sounds like the same rhetoric I hear from bitter Kings' fans but never hear from the players themselves, who always mention Blake as being a terrific leader by example, whether he was in San Jose, Colorado, or L.A. It's one thing to observe the games, and determine who's better or worse on the ice and in which ways. Fans can do that pretty well, in certain cases. But to talk about who is a good captain off the ice and question his heart or guts when you're not in there among the players is a fool's game in my view.

As for Pavelski, he's had two good playoffs and two bad ones. He scored the OT winner in game one, thanks to a coach that sent him out at the right time and a perfect setup. Sure, Pavelski had to bury the goal, but it was a team play. I don't see where he has any more "intangible qualities" than the rest of the Sharks or why he needs to be made captain. I like him as a player, but is he more of a leader than Thornton is? Have any of the Sharks, on or off the record, griped about leadership this season? I doubt it. Why make a change there?

Yes, the Sharks lost at home, and they lost home-ice advantage, but we've played two games. Who's to say they won't still win this series and go all the way? Were they supposed to win in a sweep to convince you and other fans of their mettle?

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote