HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF #3: Flyers @ Sabres - Monday, Apr. 18, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2011, 12:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
CARBOMBS FOR EVERYONE!!!!

I just broke out my fifth of vodka, hopefully I'll be a happy drunk come game time, or able to pass out quick in the event of epic collapse.
I have 3 bottles of vodka outside. 2 of them are mostly empty, but I have an unopened bottle of Svedka.

Old
04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
This is such a flawed way of thinking.

We have a better team around our goaltenders than the rags and the B's. If we have either of those goalies, we are up 2-0 right now and we won the cup last year.
Doubtful - your statement is hypothetical. Last year's SCF came down to two teams with mediocre goaltenders, with the slightly better than average goalie winning. Perfect example.

Not to mention, big goalies can have bad nights during big games. See Luongo/Nabakov, etc. This is why Philly thinks the world begins and ends with goalies, bc we are all so convinced that if we have a 6 million a year guy in our net, we will plow through teams.

Your hypothetical idea rivals my "flawed" thinking.

Old
04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
We had a chance to get both Thomas or Vokoun and our all-knowing GM passed on both.

This summer Ilya Bryzgalov is a free agent. Let's see if our GM will make a move for him.
The same Ilya with a 4.00 GAA in the playoffs this year?

Old
04-18-2011, 01:01 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Omg this is horrible. A team could not ever make it anywhere near the finals with a tandem of Boucher and Leighton. The Flyers are doomed!
Lightning rarely strikes the same place twice. However, Leighton has let in the same weak-assed goal from almost the exact same spot twice, so there is that to hang your hat on.

If Leighton is dressed as the backup, Boucher has more people praying for his ongoing health than he ever has in his life.

I don't understand why the team feels it's important to completely **** with a young goalie's confidence. It's shortsighted, it's beyond stupid, and there is no reliable alternative solution.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:01 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
With what defense in front of him?

Old
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I pretty much assumed Boucher was getting the call.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
This is such a flawed way of thinking.

We have a better team around our goaltenders than the rags and the B's. If we have either of those goalies, we are up 2-0 right now and we won the cup last year.
Yup definitely true. This is a much better way of thinking. Any other goalie would have made all the same saves as Leighton plus the ones he didn't make. The lack of a third pairing defense and no offense from your three best players would not have had an effect on him whatsoever. The goalie is what makes the team. That is why for the past five years it has been Luongo vs. Lundqvist in the finals every single year and the games have been 1-0 every time.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'm seeing references to Leighton.

WHy? Do I really want to know?

Am I going to be very, very angry soon?

Old
04-18-2011, 01:03 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

The solution to this goaltending problem is simple. Chris Pronger.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
The solution to this goaltending problem is simple. Chris Pronger.
I just don't see why the Flyers didn't take some of their revenue and invest it towards cloning Pronger. He is the answer to everything, we should always have a Pronger in reserve in case of emergency.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Omg this is horrible. A team could not ever make it anywhere near the finals with a tandem of Boucher and Leighton. The Flyers are doomed!
I know you think you're really hilarious with this ****, but I don't see how.

I'd say it's the Stanley Cup in front of my eyes blocking me from seeing what you see, but, well...it's not there.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Yes. I hope there are no animals or small children next to you.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Yup definitely true. This is a much better way of thinking. Any other goalie would have made all the same saves as Leighton plus the ones he didn't make. The lack of a third pairing defense and no offense from your three best players would not have had an effect on him whatsoever. The goalie is what makes the team. That is why for the past five years it has been Luongo vs. Lundqvist in the finals every single year and the games have been 1-0 every time.
Seriously, how often do we have to go over this?

What was Leighton's save % in the finals? How often was he pulled in the finals? How many goals were scored?

He didn't have to be great. He didn't even have to be reasonably good. He simply needed not to completely and totally suck, and he failed.

A half-assed goalie in net last year, and the Flyers are the defending Cup champions.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:07 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:

There is no reasonable explanation.
No, you don't.
Yes, you are.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
There is no reasonable explanation.
No, you don't.
Yes, you are.
I don't want to know who he's replacing.

I'm about to snap my keyboard in half.

edit: Which of our goaltenders is hospitalized? Someone HAS to be hospitalized.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
I just don't see why the Flyers didn't take some of their revenue and invest it towards cloning Pronger. He is the answer to everything, we should always have a Pronger in reserve in case of emergency.
You should probably be working in the front office.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:

What was Leighton's save % in the finals? How often was he pulled in the finals? How many goals were scored?

He didn't have to be great. He didn't even have to be reasonably good. He simply needed not to completely and totally suck, and he failed.

A half-assed goalie in net last year, and the Flyers are the defending Cup champions.
You could go over it til you're blue in the face, CG, but you can't fix stupid.

Besides, it was all Richards and Co because they couldn't score. Never mind being too busy stopping and essentially being the reason the most dangerous line in the playoffs was dismantled.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:10 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
With no defense in front of him.

Bryzgalov is arguably the best goalie in the NHL.

Took Phoenix on an 8 game win streak this year where they averaged scoring less than 3 goals per game. He put them on his back and carried them.

I would love to have a goalie like that.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
I don't want to know who he's replacing.

I'm about to snap my keyboard in half.

edit: Which of our goaltenders is hospitalized? Someone HAS to be hospitalized.
Bob has been hospitalized, but only after reportedly hulking out and eventually fainting from hearing he's getting the hook for MFL.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

What was Richards, Gagne, and Carter's point totals? How much ice time did Karjicek, Bartulis, and Parent get? If they played marginally better, the series would also have been different. Two extra goals from the three forwards and maybe they win one of the games the lost, despite Leighton's poor play. Maybe more than two minutes per games over the series from the defenseman would have taken pressure of Timonen and Pronger and the defense plays a little better and helps Leighton out a little more and that save percentage and GAA look a little better. But yeah, it's all on Leighton. And also it is a foregone conclusion that any other goalie would have done better. Because Leighton is the only goalie in history to let in soft goals. No other goalie could have possibly let in any soft ones against the Blackhawks.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
What was Richards, Gagne, and Carter's point totals? How much ice time did Karjicek, Bartulis, and Parent get? If they played marginally better, the series would also have been different. Two extra goals from the three forwards and maybe they win one of the games the lost, despite Leighton's poor play. Maybe more than two minutes per games over the series from the defenseman would have taken pressure of Timonen and Pronger and the defense plays a little better and helps Leighton out a little more and that save percentage and GAA look a little better. But yeah, it's all on Leighton. And also it is a foregone conclusion that any other goalie would have done better. Because Leighton is the only goalie in history to let in soft goals. No other goalie could have possibly let in any soft ones against the Blackhawks.
tl;dr. Pro tip (and for free!):http://www.ask.com/bar?q=paragraph+b...=1303146803357

Old
04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Haha. Six lines is too long for you read without a new paragraph? I didn't realize you had a learning disability. Next time I will make it easier for you to read.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Leighton sucks. He really sucks. He is a very bad NHL goalie, and the worst option to have in net tonight.

That's really all that matters.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Haha. Six lines is too long for you read without a new paragraph? I didn't realize you had a learning disability. Next time I will make it easier for you to read.
My learning disability is not being able to read pig slop with no consideration of separate thoughts. I've been at a remedial level with it ever since learning how to actually read in the first grade.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:30 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
So it's the rest of the team's fault for not making up for Leighton blowing? Really?? They scored enough goals to win. But you're right, they didn't score 15, so I suppose that might be their fault.

Your argument would hold water if Leighton's save percentage had been somewhat respectable, and I would absolutely agree with you if it had been halfway decent.

Thank you. You've made a ****** Monday just a little brighter.

Closed Thread