HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs interested in UND goalie Aaron Dell?

Old
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
Duuude I called this one! We were talking about Kristo (and Matt Fratt) in the NCAA thread and I was like they should get Dell for Hamilton. He has that calm style of play that we love + Championship/Frozen Four experience.

Hope the rumor is true!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
let's not jump the gun..... according to a good source no offer had been made......
Just quoting this because I'm sure Grant's source is legit. He used to scout for the Habs..

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I know nothing about Dell, but I like the idea of getting a prospect goalie in the system. If they can get a good one without using up a pick, then that is good asset management.

IMHO Danis and Desjardins were both successful applications of this theory. Mayer and Delmas, not so much. Late pick used on Halak = good. Late picks used on Simila/Lacasse/Missaien = not so much.

I'd like to see one goalie picked up as a free agent who is graduating to the pros, and one who is junior aged and will still be in junior for a couple years, actually.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:27 PM
7th Player

Don't get too exited people, he said this via twitter (ADell32)

Quote:
Just want to let all of you Sioux fans know that I am completely committed to returning for my junior year. Can't wait

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
he's an undergog. He started second to Curtis Sanford, the NHL veteran, and he beat him out in the end.

This year, it seems obvious that Tampa sees Tokarski as the goalie of the future. Desjardin's stats are superior to Tokarski's (esp. the win-loss ratio). But still, it's Tokarski who got the majority of the starts. You play the goalie of the future in these situations. Not the 25 yo with 2 NHL games under his belt.
Still, Desjardin has been winning everywhere and IMO he deserves a chance
Desjardins is injured. Janus is currently backing up Tokarski.

Desjardins has only played 2 games since January 16. He would probably have played somewhere between 40 to 50 games if he hadn't been injured.

Roloson and Smith are UFAs. Desjardins may have a shot at being an NHL backup next year.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
ClasslessGuy

If i was Dell i wouldn't sign with MTL.

When you are a potential FA goaltender, with a lot of offers you look at the goalie in front of you.

IMO he will accept an offer from ottawa, atlanta, florida etc. before accepting a deal with mtl, vancouver, etc.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post

When you are a potential FA goaltender, with a lot of offers you look at the goalie in front of you.

IMO he will accept an offer from ottawa, atlanta, florida etc. before accepting a deal with mtl, vancouver, etc.
Atlanta has Pavelec, Florida has Markstrom, Ottawa has Anderson for 4 years... at this point, there is such a surplus of good goalies, I think almost every team either has one in the NHL or has a top prospect at the position. And those who don't, should be able to acquire one relatively cheaply.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:45 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:

Ottawa has Lehner to go along with the young group.
Atlanta has Pavelec and he's #1 for a long time (unless a trade changes this)
Florida.. Vokoun might well be leaving, but.. Jacob Markstrom is their pride and joy. So they will go with him and a veteran backup (or split games) which is likely Clemmensen.

So as far as scouting for a #1 job right away: not gonna happen. Backup, then Atlanta might be a good one. I think the Chicago Wolves have room for a decent goalie right now.

EDIT: Tabarouette, Roulin, you beat me to it

Old
04-18-2011, 12:45 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
About 12.5 percent. What would you say is the average percentage of "socially awkward" kids were in your high school?

More news on this rumour, would be nice.
Well, for one it's really hard to say. It all depends on what you consider socially awkward as well. I would say 12.5 percent of high school kids probably are to some degree. So, 1 in 8 seems pretty normal. Also maybe his 1 guy out of 8 was not that socially awkward either.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:57 PM
PlayersCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
A goalie who was home schooled. You expect him not to be socially awkward?
Correction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
A goalie. You expect him not to be socially awkward?

PlayersCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:07 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Ottawa has Lehner to go along with the young group.
Atlanta has Pavelec and he's #1 for a long time (unless a trade changes this)
Florida.. Vokoun might well be leaving, but.. Jacob Markstrom is their pride and joy. So they will go with him and a veteran backup (or split games) which is likely Clemmensen.

So as far as scouting for a #1 job right away: not gonna happen. Backup, then Atlanta might be a good one. I think the Chicago Wolves have room for a decent goalie right now.

EDIT: Tabarouette, Roulin, you beat me to it
Alright bad examples...

What I meant is... If you are a good FA with a lot of potential (if because i don't know this guy) you look at the dept at that position on the team because you want to be #1.

The monster signed with Toronto but he had x number of offer etc.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Alright bad examples...

What I meant is... If you are a good FA with a lot of potential (if because i don't know this guy) you look at the dept at that position on the team because you want to be #1.

The monster signed with Toronto but he had x number of offer etc.
Right, and look how that worked out.

If I was a goalie, weirdly, I'd go somewhere where I have lots of guaranteed time in the AHL unless I was a total phenom.

It's better in the long run to go the Halak, Schneider, Bernier route than it is to get pushed up too fast and flame out like the Monster.

This kid isn't going to be in the NHL next year no matter where he signs, so Price is the least of his worries. If he's good, he'll either get the job or get traded to someone who needs him. Trying to predict that at this stage is insane. For all we know, in two years, Price could be the starter in Ottawa and Montreal could be desperate

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:32 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Right, and look how that worked out.

If I was a goalie, weirdly, I'd go somewhere where I have lots of guaranteed time in the AHL unless I was a total phenom.

It's better in the long run to go the Halak, Schneider, Bernier route than it is to get pushed up too fast and flame out like the Monster.

This kid isn't going to be in the NHL next year no matter where he signs, so Price is the least of his worries. If he's good, he'll either get the job or get traded to someone who needs him. Trying to predict that at this stage is insane. For all we know, in two years, Price could be the starter in Ottawa and Montreal could be desperate
Spit that poo out yo mouth, dawg

Old
04-18-2011, 02:02 PM
katatoniak

DavidMarcoux David Marcoux
par Jayhockey85
Mtl has offered a 2 year deal to UND goalie Aaron Dell. Had an remarkable year with the Sioux. Another successful DMSG goalie. See you soon.

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Hmmm offered, but did he accept? :O

So he says he's going back to NoDak. There's no problem in that, right? I mean if he signs a contract with us, he can still go back to NCAA and play another season, right?

Old
04-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

So he says he's going back to NoDak. There's no problem in that, right? I mean if he signs a contract with us, he can still go back to NCAA and play another season, right?
No, if a college player signs, he goes pro and can't go back to the NCAA.

It sounds like he might be a guy who's still a bit too young and underdeveloped to be signing a pro contract. I don't know who in the NCAA is out there, but I'd like to see the Habs sign a UFA goalie of some stripe... be it a more senior college guy, or even the next undrafted European phenom. We kind of have that vacancy in the system IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:

I believe once a player in the NCAA signs a pro contract his eligibility is terminated. If he signs he wouldn't be able to play with ND he would have to play Pro.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
No, if a college player signs, he goes pro and can't go back to the NCAA.

It sounds like he might be a guy who's still a bit too young and underdeveloped to be signing a pro contract. I don't know who in the NCAA is out there, but I'd like to see the Habs sign a UFA goalie of some stripe... be it a more senior college guy, or even the next undrafted European phenom. We kind of have that vacancy in the system IMHO.
Yeah we need to sign a goalie imo. We could always draft Dell with a late round pick to control him but I'd rather sign a senior who can jump up to Pro. Goaltending depth is a weak spot in our pipeline

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Why because he played a few games and got some wins? I liked the guy but he is an AHLer and with Price here he wasn't going to play and Price needs a veteran backup not a young player like him. If he was that great Tampa wouldn't have traded for Roloson

As for Dell, I never saw him play but I really don't mind these signings and like someone else said it's better this way and keep our draft picks for forwards and Defencemans
I never even suggested that Desjardins would make the big club, let alone take Price's spot. But he was a really good young goaltender to have around in Hamilton. Seeing as Ramo wont be with the Dogs anytime soon it will be nice to have this Dell kid.

BigNumber1Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Colorado has no goaltending depth whatsoever.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Colorado has no goaltending depth whatsoever.
Could of gotten Greiss on Waivers but they didnt and there are A LOT of Goalies out there who are unsigned. Plus they have Calvin Pickard.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Yeah we need to sign a goalie imo. We could always draft Dell with a late round pick to control him but I'd rather sign a senior who can jump up to Pro. Goaltending depth is a weak spot in our pipeline
Dell is no longer draft eligible FYI. He's 21, maybe 22... don't know when his exact birthday is.

sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
LePoche69

I guess he's not wearing high pads...

tadam, thiss!

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote