HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT - Why OT?

Old
04-16-2011, 02:58 AM
mike14

vCash: 500
OT - Why OT?

having just watch the Aussie Rules team i support gut out a draw, it got me wondering why the NHL plays OT in the regular season.

Has it always been a part of the game or was introduced recently (last 30 years or so)? Are most people fans of games going to OT or would you prefer for it to be, game tied at the end of regulation both teams just split the points? If you are a fan of the OT, how come?

- All of the above is for regular season only I fully understand that Ot is needed for the playoffs

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:19 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

i think OT just takes away from the excitement of the final couple minutes of a tied game. It's like a firework grand-finale, you don't want it to be followed with a weaker finale-finale.

regular season a tie should be a tie. 60 minutes, if a tea wants to go for it they will, if not they won't in overtime either.

overtime means a winner, and when you have a winner you should have a loser. getting 1 pt for losing in overtime is half the reason overtime 4on4 is such embarrassingly poor hockey. it's like rookie all-star game… sure they want to win, but not if it means playing defense.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
having just watch the Aussie Rules team i support gut out a draw, it got me wondering why the NHL plays OT in the regular season.
To try and attract more casual fans to the game and dress up the highlight reel with walk off goals.

The same reason they put all the sh*tty rules/policies in that kill the game for the real fan.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 03:32 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
To try and attract more casual fans to the game and dress up the highlight reel with walk off goals.

The same reason they put all the sh*tty rules/policies in that kill the game for the real fan.
Be honest, how many times have we seen desperation hockey in OT? Maybe if the team started on the powerplay or they needed the points late in the season, but I remember a lot of OT matches being played passively.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Problematique

Quote:

Has it always been a part of the game or was introduced recently (last 30 years or so)? Are most people fans of games going to OT or would you prefer for it to be, game tied at the end of regulation both teams just split the points? If you are a fan of the OT, how come?

- All of the above is for regular season only I fully understand that Ot is needed for the playoffs
Essendon or Carlton? If Essendon, bring your best this week. For those unaware it's the annual Anzac Day match between Collingwood and Carlton which has become a permanent fixture in the AFL season, paying respect to the Australian/New Zealand war veterans which will attract over 90,000 fans to Melbourne's home of sport, the MCG.

Anyway back to Overtime, I am in favour of it. A tie gives rise to feelings of emptiness unable to react to the game where as there is a clear winner in OT/SO if it's still a stale mate.

Problematique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 05:38 PM
mike14

Bombers, and we're going to get spanked

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:14 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:

Overtime was a part of the game until the 1942-43 season, and used to be 10 minutes. It was cut it out due to war-time travel restrictions. They brought it back for the 83-84 season, but this time it was only for 5 minutes.

My personal opinion, and I have argued this for about 15-16 years now, 5 minutes for OT is not nearly enough time to win a game. Your average team does not score every 5 minutes. Overtime should be a minimum of 10 minutes, and there should be no points for losing.

I used to be in favor of the shootout, because I cannot stand ties, but the last few years I have soured on it a lot, particularly this year with the whole ROW tie breaker. Thought it was complete BS to make a shootout win mean less then a regulation or OT win, but still give 2 points. If a SO win means less, make it less points. Plain and simple.

My solution to ties is very simple. 10 minute OT, 3 on 3 hockey. You'd have a guaranteed winner 95% of the time.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Overtime was a part of the game until the 1942-43 season, and used to be 10 minutes. It was cut it out due to war-time travel restrictions. They brought it back for the 83-84 season, but this time it was only for 5 minutes.

My personal opinion, and I have argued this for about 15-16 years now, 5 minutes for OT is not nearly enough time to win a game. Your average team does not score every 5 minutes. Overtime should be a minimum of 10 minutes, and there should be no points for losing.

I used to be in favor of the shootout, because I cannot stand ties, but the last few years I have soured on it a lot, particularly this year with the whole ROW tie breaker. Thought it was complete BS to make a shootout win mean less then a regulation or OT win, but still give 2 points. If a SO win means less, make it less points. Plain and simple.

My solution to ties is very simple. 10 minute OT, 3 on 3 hockey. You'd have a guaranteed winner 95% of the time.
I'm down with 10 minutes, but 3 on 3 is just too gimmicky

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:13 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I'm down with 10 minutes, but 3 on 3 is just too gimmicky
I've heard people say that, and I humbly disagree. Is it anymore gimmicky then the shoot out?

Maybe 10 minutes 4 on 4, then 5 minutes 3 on 3?

Old
04-18-2011, 02:17 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I've heard people say that, and I humbly disagree. Is it anymore gimmicky then the shoot out?

Maybe 10 minutes 4 on 4, then 5 minutes 3 on 3?
Yeah it is. There is a precedent in olympic hockey, and sports like soccer for penalty kicks/shots to end things.

3 on 3 is just taking it too extreme in my opinion. The switch at 5 minute mark isnt any better, just makes it even more complicated.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:57 PM
ogie

what bothers me most about the regular season OT format is that now with the whole ROW thing it totally negates the point of having a shoot out.

I say have a 20minute 5on5 OT period and if it is still tied then each team gets 1 point. Make teams really fight for that extra point.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:02 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Yeah it is. There is a precedent in olympic hockey, and sports like soccer for penalty kicks/shots to end things.

3 on 3 is just taking it too extreme in my opinion. The switch at 5 minute mark isnt any better, just makes it even more complicated.
I see your point, but I disagree. At least 3 on 3, there's actual players on the ice, and some assemblence of a team, not just a glorified penalty shot, which is what a shoot out is.

Either way, overtime just needs to be longer.

Old
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
what bothers me most about the regular season OT format is that now with the whole ROW thing it totally negates the point of having a shoot out.

I say have a 20minute 5on5 OT period and if it is still tied then each team gets 1 point. Make teams really fight for that extra point.
Here's an extreme...how bout if you can't win it in 60, and it goes to OT, and it's STILL tied at the end of OT, no one gets a point.

Think teams won't start trying to win it in regulation, or not play passively during OT?

Old
04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I was always fine with ties, and I was fine with having the OT -- just a little bit of extra time to see if the two teams can find a winner. There were a lot of great games that ended, fairly, in a tie.

I don't care for shootouts -- they're fun to watch, in and of themselves, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I see a team lose because of one.

And I'm a Collingwood fan, at least nominally -- I just love Aussie Rules in general.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Problematique

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I was always fine with ties, and I was fine with having the OT -- just a little bit of extra time to see if the two teams can find a winner. There were a lot of great games that ended, fairly, in a tie.

I don't care for shootouts -- they're fun to watch, in and of themselves, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I see a team lose because of one.

And I'm a Collingwood fan, at least nominally -- I just love Aussie Rules in general.

Good man.
I'll be at the Anzac Day game, do they stream it over there? Be sure to check out this week's game.
I've been a Collingwood member for over 10 years now, but after my first time in New York last December at the marathon shoot out Tampa Bay game@MSG, would gladly trade places.

Problematique is offline   Reply With Quote