HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

95.7...Yay For Some Sharks Talk!

Old
04-18-2011, 04:31 AM
ak4na2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
more like 1. Giants 2. Warriors, 3. Niners/Raiders, 4. A's, 5. everything BUT the sharks
it is more like
1. giants
2. giants
3. giants
4. warriors
5. giants
6. 49ers
7. giants
8. a's/raiders
9. giants
10. sharks/college sports

anyhow townsend is on 1-4 in the afternoon starting monday 4/18.. dial in and for those that are able and not shy.. call in and talk some sharks playoff hockey..

i know a's fans from athletics nation are going to be geared up and will probably end up dominating the phones.. but getting a few sharks fans in would be good..

most of the programming on the station seems to be up in the air with nothing set in stone so a good showing from sharks fans should push the powers that be to find a local host that is knowledgeable in hockey and specifically sharks hockey..

ak4na2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
ak4na2

Dan Rusanowsky will be on at about 7:30 am today.. so in 30 minutes..

the ten minutes i have listened to so far.. tim montemayor has already briefly glossed over the 49ers, raiders, a's, giants and sharks..

Old
04-18-2011, 11:11 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 438
I guess there's no set schedule yet. I had it set to 95.7 as an alarm and this Monte guy was all over the map, talking Sharks, A's, Giants, NBA Playoffs. Hopefully there's some direction, but I did appreciate the veriety, which is something KNBR lacks on most occasions. Also, I was listening last night and Sporting News Radio finally wised up and got rid of that Celebration of life through sports. The show seemed a little more alive and that was good to hear.

The one complaint I have so far with the morning guy was during the Dan Rusanowsky interview, I think he spent more time with the "reminders" (Or whatever you call it in radio) of who he was talking to and the station and could have spent more time on the questions. It's a minor complaint, but noticeable.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:17 AM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Hi guys, Ducks fan here and no. I'm not here to troll or anything. Anyways, living in the Bay Area myself, I used to listen to 107.7 all the time and for a classic rock station, they talk Sharks fairly regularly so, I'm not really surprised.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
USF Shark
Z˘ion politik˛n

From 1-4 today, Chris Townsend will be on. His first show on Friday was very good, but we need MORE Sharks fans to call.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
If it's the one I am thinking of, it was called The Fourth Period and held in the club section after the game and broadcast on 98.5. Not sure why they stopped doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
98.5 never had the fourth period. The fourth period was on when 105.7 was airing sharks games (I can't remember the call letters). It was a great show and was really sad in the last episode cause everyone was saying see you next year to the host but the host kept saying I don't think there will be a next year.
this is exactly what i am talking about. it was on 105.7 back in the day when they carried sharks games however. I ALWAYS wanted to stay late and watch it after games, but I was "too young" and would be "cranky" in the morning if I stayed up that late... i had to stay up late and listen to it every night on the radio, which was still awesome. was pretty sad when they canceled it.

I really think a program like that would do well with someone like Jamie Baker hosting it or something.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:06 PM
USF Shark
Z˘ion politik˛n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
this is exactly what i am talking about. it was on 105.7 back in the day when they carried sharks games however. I ALWAYS wanted to stay late and watch it after games, but I was "too young" and would be "cranky" in the morning if I stayed up that late... i had to stay up late and listen to it every night on the radio, which was still awesome. was pretty sad when they canceled it.

I really think a program like that would do well with someone like Jamie Baker hosting it or something.
I was thinking Drew hosting a radio show. He already does one and he could simulcast it perhaps?

Old
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
I was thinking Drew hosting a radio show. He already does one and he could simulcast it perhaps?
i guess i'm personally not a huge drew fan. he reminds me of my mom when he goes off on his crazy rants sometimes and you just feel embarrassed for him because you feel "related"

i love the insight ex players have. especially articulate ones. bakes is on 98.5 in the morning i think, and he has been doin radio for a bit now. i do wonder how well they would do dealing with a Q&A audience. someone like drew would definitely facilitate that.

i wouldn't be surprised if broadie brazil ended up getting mixed in with something like this too.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

There used to be an little old Irish lady, think her name was Elsie, that was at every 4th period. She used to rip into players, especially Nolan. She was a crack up. I was surprised they always gave her the mic. I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't the reason it got cancelled lol.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...

Last edited by Led Zappa: 04-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:41 PM
USF Shark
Z˘ion politik˛n

Randy Hahn will be on Chris Townsend's show...

Old
04-18-2011, 04:00 PM
ak4na2

have the sharks ever have this much publicity on the bay area airwaves as today..?? rusanowsky, remenda and hahn all on air in the same day..

Old
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
SJSharksfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak4na2 View Post
have the sharks ever have this much publicity on the bay area airwaves as today..?? rusanowsky, remenda and hahn all on air in the same day..
If it was this way on a day in November I would be impressed. How though, everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon and it's almost expected.

I know Damon Bruce doesn't talk Sharks (Sometimes he does) but the main reason I would like to see him on this station is because it helps give the station some identity. I mean I'm listening to some of it today and who are these hosts. They're ok, but they're relatively unknown. I am looking forward to seeing how it develops, and maybe they can get into the realm of podcasting, but that's way down the line.

Old
04-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Rude

I might have to tune in sometime, but i rarely get a chance to listen to the radio. I can't listen at work, and i like to watch TV or read when i'm at home.

I do wish the official podcast would get their act together though. Does Townsend have an RSS?

-Rude

Rude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 07:43 PM
SJSharksfan39

Anyone listening to this current show that's airing. One, who are these guys. Two, well done completely bashing AT&T Park you idiots. And three, They said why root for the Giants when the team across the bay is better. Well, while the team across the bay has more world series, the Giants are still world champions and the A's ball park is god awful. Not a good way to make a presence in the Bay Area.

Old
04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
If it was this way on a day in November I would be impressed. How though, everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon and it's almost expected.

I know Damon Bruce doesn't talk Sharks (Sometimes he does) but the main reason I would like to see him on this station is because it helps give the station some identity. I mean I'm listening to some of it today and who are these hosts. They're ok, but they're relatively unknown. I am looking forward to seeing how it develops, and maybe they can get into the realm of podcasting, but that's way down the line.
As long as the hosts are good, does it matter if they are a "name"?

As to Damon Bruce, as I said earlier, it's not the lack of Sharks talk that bothers me as much as his refusal to even acknowledge that hockey/NHL exists. That's ridiculous and everyone here knows it. If we are going to lobby for Damon Bruce to be on this new channel, might as well get another person who refuses to acknowledge hockey/NHL, like Skip Bayless.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:07 PM
68 Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Anyone listening to this current show that's airing. One, who are these guys. Two, well done completely bashing AT&T Park you idiots. And three, They said why root for the Giants when the team across the bay is better. Well, while the team across the bay has more world series, the Giants are still world champions and the A's ball park is god awful. Not a good way to make a presence in the Bay Area.
I didn't hear the bit about att or talking about the giants but I think it's in bad faith to just bash. Better to just no talk about it IMO. why root for the giants? Because I have been a giants an since I was a little kid. I don't care who the better team is. Why root for the Sharks when there is a better team in the same timezone?

From what you said it sounds like bitter a's fans that are just using the airwaves as their soapbox. I know the guy on from 1-4 does the pre and post game shows for the A's. That and coupled with your comments about the guys after, I am expecting to not listen much as the A's are not a team I follow.

Like I said before, it will be nice to hear something other than Giants, but with knbr that is the giants flagship station, they broadcast the games, have pre and pos game shows, have other programming for the giants it should be no surprise they talk abou the giants a lot.

I hope the new sports talk station doesn't just become a proverbial soapbox for people to just go off on other teams/parks in the bay. That will make me NOT listen to the radio.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
68 Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak4na2 View Post
Every year come playoff time. Including pre game shows outside hp pavilion at the street festival.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:18 PM
USF Shark
Z˘ion politik˛n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Z-28 View Post
I didn't hear the bit about att or talking about the giants but I think it's in bad faith to just bash. Better to just no talk about it IMO. why root for the giants? Because I have been a giants an since I was a little kid. I don't care who the better team is. Why root for the Sharks when there is a better team in the same timezone?

From what you said it sounds like bitter a's fans that are just using the airwaves as their soapbox. I know the guy on from 1-4 does the pre and post game shows for the A's. That and coupled with your comments about the guys after, I am expecting to not listen much as the A's are not a team I follow.

Like I said before, it will be nice to hear something other than Giants, but with knbr that is the giants flagship station, they broadcast the games, have pre and pos game shows, have other programming for the giants it should be no surprise they talk abou the giants a lot.

I hope the new sports talk station doesn't just become a proverbial soapbox for people to just go off on other teams/parks in the bay. That will make me NOT listen to the radio.
Chris Townsend has done national sports shows for years. Hardly an A's homer. He know his stuff, and at least is willing to talk Sharks hockey. If you don't listen to it, you shouldn't pass judgment on it.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
ak4na2

Quote:
Chris Townsend has done national sports shows for years. Hardly an A's homer. He know his stuff, and at least is willing to talk Sharks hockey. If you don't listen to it, you shouldn't pass judgment on it.
i believe townsend is a sharks homer.. at worst he is a fan of the sharks with a bit of a past with the organization..

from what i can gather it seems like townsend from 1-4, rob and arnie from 4-6 are the only slots that seem firm in keeping their place..

rob and arnie are a's and rangers fans and sound a bit brash, crash and burn style that may not be the cup of tea for most of the diehard a's or sharks fans but sounds like they would do good with the young male crowd and casual sports fans.. doesnt seem like they know anything about hockey though..

Old
04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
68 Z-28

Quote:
I was not calling Townsend a homer.

The comment about bitter A's fans was in reference to the quoted post and them just trashing att park and "rooting for the better team across the bay".

Perhaps I should have inserted breaks differently. Townsend sounded ok from what I heard. I do not have a knock against him. However, being that he is does the pre/post game shows it wouldn't be surprising to me if the conversation during his shows gravitate(positive or negative) more toward the A's as that is what he is familiar with and he has a following that will listen and call in about that.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:21 AM
SJSharksfan39

Pretty much they called AT&T Park an amusement park (because of the coke bottle slide mostly) and that McCovey Cove was a lake. One of them jsut completely hates the ball park and the other isn't that brash but probably hates it too. I understand it's an opinion, but it was a wrong opinion.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

The morning guy is spending some good time on the sharks and kind of sounding like a HF poster, ripping Thornton and Marleau. I'm glad to hear any shark talk on the radio though.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
SJSharksfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
The morning guy is spending some good time on the sharks and kind of sounding like a HF poster, ripping Thornton and Marleau. I'm glad to hear any shark talk on the radio though.
I like the Morning guy, but does he take any calls? Yeah he talks to guests, but he gives the number like every 5 minutes but I haven't heard him take a single call.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Thepainter

Loved the ATT bashing... they were 100% correct that you could put a pile of turd with that background and it would be voted the best.

The location is nice.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote