HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Back to the Future - Leighton to dress for game 3

Old
04-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
So, how many mintues before Kaleta runs Boucher?
Honestly...if they're smart, it'll be however many seconds it takes Kaleta to get to Boosh off the opening faceoff.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
Scratching Bobrovsky outright for a guy who did absolutely zero to get us into the playoffs? Talk about an over-reaction...
I'm a little surprised, but I don't have a problem with it.

Boosh does a great job backing up Bobs. He picked him up in game 2.

If you decide Boosh is starting in game 3, the problem is, what if you have to pull Boosh and Bob comes in a is terrible? Then you don't have a starter for G4 unless it's Leighton.

This way, Boosh goes in. If he sucks, Leighton comes in. If he saves the game, like he saved our season last year, and our playoff run when Boosh got hurt vs. Boston, he's the new starter. And the team likes Leighton and plays well in front of him, as they do for Bobs.

And if Leighton comes in in relief and sucks too, you can bring Bobs back for G4 as starter - with the season on the line and night's experience of the Buffalo pressbox as motivation.

We'll have to see how it plays out. I think they are protecting Bobrovsky, not insulting him. Whether we see him in the lineup again, or starting again, depends on how well Boosh plays.

Boosh has the chance he's been waiting for, he looked great in G2, let's see how he runs with it....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not to single you out because other people are saying it, but I love everyone talking about what Bob "deserves" because he played well this season blah blah blah. But Leighton in net for the turnaround of the season last year and throughout the playoffs and he didn't "deserve" to be resigned. One season of solid stats for Bob=deserves to start in the playoffs. One season of solid stats and a Cup run for Leighton=doesn't deserve his contract or a chance to dress.
I'd rather have a goalie whose been playing solid for us all season in the NHL than Michael Leighton whose been in the ****ing AHL all of this year.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Honestly...if they're smart, it'll be however many seconds it takes Kaleta to get to Boosh off the opening faceoff.
Yep.

And that's followed by the obligatory Kaleta hiding behind a linesman or challenging Briere.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Michael Leighton whose been in the ****ing AHL all of this year.
Correction. Half of the year. He spent the first half of the season recovering from surgery.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:31 PM
zamboni88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
I had forgotten how bad Leights was in that game. If we score 7 goals every time he's in net, though, I like our chances
OMFG - I was at the game in LA and it was emabrassing.

zamboni88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
The Flyers havenít recorded a shutout since Michael Leighton recorded 3 in the Eastern Conference Finals against the Montreal Canadiens. This season, Michael Leighton has played a whopping 1 game for the Flyers. The logical conclusion? Michael Leighton has cursed the Flyers and we must reverse it with a combination of voodoo, ritual sacrifice, and Indian rain dances.

http://punadelphia.wordpress.com/201...hts-sweet-lou/

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Swiper the Fox

Just like every other year of the past going into the playoffs
Goaltending for the Flyers is questionable

just what all the media needs to hear and wail about for the rest of the season !!

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Anyone got any interviews or quotes from Bob?
How does this kid feel?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Anyone got any interviews or quotes from Bob?
How does this kid feel?
Well if it's anything but positive, I'd prefer if he doesn't tell the media

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:51 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
It is pretty funny that Leighton is the last Flyer goalie to have a shutout, never mind the last 3 in a playoff series.

Irony is a *****.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:52 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Few things...

1) I don't like this. I don't know what all went into it, and I'm sure there's a bunch we'll never hear about, or only much later on, but I still don't like it.

2) I see a lot of Holmgren bashing, when this would seem to me to be a Lavy decision, no? I suppose you could bash Holmgren by extension because calling Leighton back up is what gives Lavy this option in the first place?

3) I'm no fan of Michael Leighton, but some of the hate on this guy is just flat out undeserved. Kill him for the finals and that atrocious Kane goal all you want, but don't hate on the guy because he stunk against the Kings coming off of surgery, nor because he's been stuck in the AHL (with a .926 sv %) because of the CBA. He was good enough to save our season last year and played well in the ECF last season, so I sincerely doubt he'd crumble under the pressures of the first round of the playoffs.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Few things...

1) I don't like this. I don't know what all went into it, and I'm sure there's a bunch we'll never hear about, or only much later on, but I still don't like it.

2) I see a lot of Holmgren bashing, when this would seem to me to be a Lavy decision, no? I suppose you could bash Holmgren by extension because calling Leighton back up is what gives Lavy this option in the first place?

3) I'm no fan of Michael Leighton, but some of the hate on this guy is just flat out undeserved. Kill him for the finals and that atrocious Kane goal all you want, but don't hate on the guy because he stunk against the Kings coming off of surgery, nor because he's been stuck in the AHL (with a .926 sv %) because of the CBA. He was good enough to save our season last year and played well in the ECF last season, so I sincerely doubt he'd crumble under the pressures of the first round of the playoffs.

I personally dislike liars....

Old
04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
It is pretty funny that Leighton is the last Flyer goalie to have a shutout, never mind the last 3 in a playoff series.

Irony is a *****.
The irony would be even more massive if he were to play and post a shutout....who knows.

Old
04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Few things...

I was a Leighton support last year over Boosh. Boosh was ****ing horrible last year and couldn't string together two wins.

After Leighton gives up a weak SC winning goal, lied about his injury and scammed this team out of a contract, playing like **** in the LA game and Boosh and Bobo having a good tandem, leads me (and possibly others) to having some negative feelings toward him.

And if you were a Leighton hater before, well more fuel on the fire only makes the flame bigger.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Bittco

This to me is simply the necessity of the 2nd of 2 decisions. The first decision- Bob or Boosh was debatable and Lavy went with Boosh. Ok fine, but wasn't part of the discussion for the first question how the other does as a backup? I heard a few stats about Bob being bad when subbing for Boosh and not the other way around as a reason to start Bob. I guess somebody felt Bob wasn't great as the backup and if he wasn't going to start then Leights would make a better 'emergency backup'. I assume if boosh plays well he stays the starter and Bob eventually gets back as the backup. If boosh stinks, regardless of how leights does, i think Bob comes back to start with boosh backing him up.

Bittco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM
decadentia

How someone can be paid millions of dollars for this kind of decision making is quite beyond me.

Holmgren made a comment about throwing **** to see if it stuck at the wall, that's precisely what hes doing here.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
How someone can be paid millions of dollars for this kind of decision making is quite beyond me.

Holmgren made a comment about throwing **** to see if it stuck at the wall, that's precisely what hes doing here.
It's kind of sad how this is playing out especially if this trifecta is unable to grab the mantle of the starting position and run with it. Holmgren is going to take a lot of heat if this doesn't pan out. Bob bailed him out in the regular season for his ill-advised signing of Leighton and now we'll see if Boosh can bail him out again here in the playoffs (bailed him out last year with the shootout win). It's not Bob's fault what has transpired....he's a rookie....Holmgren has gambled with the goalie position for far too long..actually I will add that the Flyers as an organization have done so. Now we have a promising rookie and we can't even develop him properly. Luckily Bobs seems to have the mental fortitude to handle management's crappy way of dealing with the most important position on the team...

Old
04-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Swiper the Fox

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=618&id=70098

remember last year

i much prefer Leighton over Bobs ( at least this year )
but, this is only my opionion

man, you guys should search last year about this time(in this forum) and see what every one said about him "when he was winning games"
quite interestinghow the tides turn

Last edited by Swiper the Fox: 04-18-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:32 PM
mirimon

Isn't it Laviolette's job to decide which goalies he'll use though. I mean, Homer was stupid for trying to go with Leighton and Boosh this season (then lucked out with Bobrovsky coming in and earning a spot), but he can't be blamed for this decision. Or does things work completely differently over on your side of the pond? I mean, it's not Homer who's decided to sit Zherdev for instance, right?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:37 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
man, you guys should search last year about this time(in this forum) and see what every one said about him "when he was winning games"
quite interestinghow the tides turn
Not everyone... A lot of us feared what would happen if we faced a top offensive team and then we played Chicago and well you know.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Isn't it Laviolette's job to decide which goalies he'll use though. I mean, Homer was stupid for trying to go with Leighton and Boosh this season (then lucked out with Bobrovsky coming in and earning a spot), but he can't be blamed for this decision. Or does things work completely differently over on your side of the pond? I mean, it's not Homer who's decided to sit Zherdev for instance, right?
Laviolette has no choice too work with what he's got. He's not Magic man. Homer has a responsibility to put the best product he can on the ice. In the offseason there were many cries to put the priority on getting a goalie. If it wasn't for Bob buying time and depending on what the outcome is in the playoffs we may come up short if somebody in goal doesn't grab the bull by the horns...not sure how much more opportunity you want to prove yourself! Leighton had the finals last year...totally choked. Boosh had the playoffs last year and this year..remains to be seen. Bob is a rookie..the likelihood of him repeating a Roy or Ward type run was always not high. It's annoying how we have to always thrust our highly touted prospects in not ideal conditions...we kind of fast tracked Zubrus and others like Bob and it stunted their development. I don't think Bob will be stunted but it's crappy nonetheless. I don't blame Lavy for this..he named Bob the starter and tried to build him up. Bob crapped one game and he's yanked for Leighton the liar...the responsibility for this soap opera goalie situation is Holmgren's and Holmgren ONLY!

Old
04-18-2011, 04:33 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Laviolette has no choice too work with what he's got. He's not Magic man. Homer has a responsibility to put the best product he can on the ice. In the offseason there were many cries to put the priority on getting a goalie. If it wasn't for Bob buying time and depending on what the outcome is in the playoffs we may come up short if somebody in goal doesn't grab the bull by the horns...not sure how much more opportunity you want to prove yourself! Leighton had the finals last year...totally choked. Boosh had the playoffs last year and this year..remains to be seen. Bob is a rookie..the likelihood of him repeating a Roy or Ward type run was always not high. It's annoying how we have to always thrust our highly touted prospects in not ideal conditions...we kind of fast tracked Zubrus and others like Bob and it stunted their development. I don't think Bob will be stunted but it's crappy nonetheless. I don't blame Lavy for this..he named Bob the starter and tried to build him up. Bob crapped one game and he's yanked for Leighton the liar...the responsibility for this soap opera goalie situation is Holmgren's and Holmgren ONLY!
None of this rant makes sense.

It is LAVY'S decision to dress Leighton over Bob, which is everyone's issue. Holmgren has nothing to do with that.

You'd all be fine if Lavy ran with Bob-Boosh or Boosh-Bob for the playoffs, which is an option he totally has.

Look, I'm not a fan of this decision, nor of Leighton's goaltending in general, but some of the reaction on here is over-the-top hysterics and people are piling on Holmgren yet again, completely unreasonably.

This is Lavy's call. If you want to take issue with the decision, go knock on his door.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
FlyersFan4Life

i don't like any of this....terrible and the reporters in philly are such flip flopers its ridiculous. such praise of him after the first game then after 12 minutes of the second game they all want to hang him

hopefully this doesn't end up hurting bob forever

FlyersFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
still life

still life is offline   Reply With Quote