HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Forum Lounge Thread (Home of All Things OT)

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2011, 12:15 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
The St. Louis/Mizzou Other Sports Thread

So.........WTF!!!!!

Franklin has been terrible since the end of the 2009 season when the Cardinals collapsed late and backed into the postseason only to get swept by the Dodgers. Part of that collapse was Ryan Franklin's inability to keep it together late in that season. He had like 38 saves, but late he broke down and in 2010 he sucked ass and now this year he is sucking ass like a crack *****.

Why does TLR keep him around? He's sucked since the end of the 2009 season!

MOD EDIT:
This thread is the garbage can for ALL BASEBALL discussion. Any other threads on baseball will be summarily deleted.
-2MM

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 05-20-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old
04-18-2011, 12:20 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
So.........WTF!!!!!

He has been terrible since the end of the 2009 season when the Cardinals collapsed late and backed into the postseason only to get swept by the Dodgers. Part of that collapse was Ryan Franklin's inability to keep it together late in that season. He had like 38 saves, but late he broke down and in 2010 he sucked ass and now this year he is sucking ass like a crack *****.

We never seem to have a closer / relief who can make a career out of it. Guys who get hot, but no one who seems to keep the job. It doesn't help that we seem to go down a starter every season and spread the workload on the bullpen, but yeah for a guy who's only playing 3 innings or less you might as well change it up while you can make a difference on the season.

Old
04-18-2011, 12:26 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Franklin is just awful. I try not to be the type to bash guys, but good grief. In baseball if you have a prolonged period of not being able to do your job you should be moved. A slump is one thing, but he has been unreliable for a while now.

Old
04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
If the Card's want someone to go throw BP to the opposing team in the 9th I'll waaay undercut Franklin's price!

Is there any scuttlebutt on one of Boggs or Motte taking over the closer role soon?

Old
04-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Isringhausen 2.0

LaRussa will keep playing him and piss away the playoffs once again.

Old
04-18-2011, 04:17 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

I know it's a small sample size, but I like what I've seen from Eduardo Sanchez thus far. It seems Larussa doesn't necessarily have a resounding love for rookies, but if I'm not mistaken I think Wainwright was a rookie when he closed in '06.

Old
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Franklin doesn't have the closer mentality, he isn't able to blow off a blown save. He's a bit of a jack-of-all trades too; many pitches in his arsenal, but not one stands out.

Old
04-18-2011, 05:12 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
Isringhausen 2.0

This, he has to give Boggs a chance. I like Sanchez for the future but there is no need to rush him, maybe if Boggs doesnt work out

Old
04-18-2011, 05:13 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
I know it's a small sample size, but I like what I've seen from Eduardo Sanchez thus far. It seems Larussa doesn't necessarily have a resounding love for rookies, but if I'm not mistaken I think Wainwright was a rookie when he closed in '06.
Wainwright was a rookie but I believe i heard Bernie say on the radio this morning that he already had 90+ innings pitched before he was given the role, I think Sanchez has a total of 4 or 5 IP

Old
04-18-2011, 06:16 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Wainwright was a rookie but I believe i heard Bernie say on the radio this morning that he already had 90+ innings pitched before he was given the role, I think Sanchez has a total of 4 or 5 IP

Yeah, that is a huge difference. You don't want to completely ruin the kid by prematurely throwing him into that kind of pressure situation.

Old
04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Who cares about IP. If the guy's effective, put him in. If he fails, stick someone else in there. Throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks is better than Franklin's play thus far.

I'll never get the MLB and its terrible management of pitching. Look at Dice-K. He was fantastic in Japan, would throw 200 pitches on game day (or whatever), never iced down after playing, and he comes over here and they change his whole routine, and look at him now. (Nice game last night, but otherwise has been struggling.)

Old
04-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
So.........WTF!!!!!

He has been terrible since the end of the 2009 season when the Cardinals collapsed late and backed into the postseason only to get swept by the Dodgers. Part of that collapse was Ryan Franklin's inability to keep it together late in that season. He had like 38 saves, but late he broke down and in 2010 he sucked ass and now this year he is sucking ass like a crack *****.

His 2010 was solid idk what your talking about. I'm sorry that he didn't put up the strikeout numbers that everyone expects from a closer, but all of 2007 (setup man) 09-10 he was solid and trust worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
We never seem to have a closer / relief who can make a career out of it. Guys who get hot, but no one who seems to keep the job. It doesn't help that we seem to go down a starter every season and spread the workload on the bullpen, but yeah for a guy who's only playing 3 innings or less you might as well change it up while you can make a difference on the season.
Jason Isringhausen says hi. He is hated for no real reason. 7 years in saint louis 217 saves 8.2 strikeouts per 9 average a 2.98 ERA. One bad season (2008) and he is hated and disrespected by most of cardinal nation. I'm sure somebody will bring up 2006 but he was fine until he got hurt and still tried to pitch through it.

So does 293 saves (217 with cardinals) not count as a solid career coming out of the pen?

Old
04-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Isringhausen 2.0

So wrong!

Old
04-18-2011, 08:23 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidline View Post
So wrong!
I dont think he was so much comparing pitchers but saying that LaRussa once again has waited to long to switch it up during each of their meltdowns.

Old
04-18-2011, 08:26 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
His 2010 was solid idk what your talking about. I'm sorry that he didn't put up the strikeout numbers that everyone expects from a closer, but all of 2007 (setup man) 09-10 he was solid and trust worthy.

Jason Isringhausen says hi. He is hated for no real reason. 7 years in saint louis 217 saves 8.2 strikeouts per 9 average a 2.98 ERA. One bad season (2008) and he is hated and disrespected by most of cardinal nation. I'm sure somebody will bring up 2006 but he was fine until he got hurt and still tried to pitch through it.

So does 293 saves (217 with cardinals) not count as a solid career coming out of the pen?
Franklin's stats wound up looking solid in 2010, but I just remember too many mistakes. I don't remember his 2010 being very good. His stats don't tell the story. He had 6 blown saves last year.

He started faltering in late 2009.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 04-18-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old
04-18-2011, 08:32 PM
randysavage

I miss The Eck. Hell I miss Tom Henke these days. But yeah, Isringhausen just liked to scare us. Until his last season here, he was solid. I remember seeing him walk the bases loaded only to finish by striking out the side. It was ridiculous.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Franklin's stats wound up looking solid in 2010, but I just remember too many mistakes. I don't remember his 2010 being very good. His stats don't tell the story. He had 6 blown saves last year.

He started faltering in late 2009.
He had a very impressive 2 blown saves last year not 6. Idk how 27 of 29 saves is not very good. He got the job done for 2 straight years and was great in 2007 as the setup man.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Quote:
So wrong!
see
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I dont think he was so much comparing pitchers but saying that LaRussa once again has waited to long to switch it up during each of their meltdowns.
LaRussa tends to have too much faith in his players. It's good for his relationships with them but just trowing Isringhausen out there to try and get his 300th save cost the team the post season. He needs to try someone other than Franklin for awhile(like the whole season).

Old
04-18-2011, 10:26 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
He had a very impressive 2 blown saves last year not 6. Idk how 27 of 29 saves is not very good. He got the job done for 2 straight years and was great in 2007 as the setup man.
Those stats are accounting for saves and save opportunities in a whacky way.
He had 6 blown saves, not two.

Something smells fishy about how they are accounting for blown saves. There's no way he had only two blown saves.

Oh....and I don't care how Franklin did in 2007.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 04-18-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old
04-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
see

LaRussa tends to have too much faith in his players. It's good for his relationships with them but just trowing Isringhausen out there to try and get his 300th save cost the team the post season. He needs to try someone other than Franklin for awhile(like the whole season).
When someone has as much success with one team as izzy did he deserves patience from the manager. Odviously Franklin hasn't had quiet the success that izzy had.

So this is what I would do if I was TLR.
In an ideal situation the birds grab a big lead and you put Franklin in for the ninth to help get him back on track (hoping that it's not just that he has nothing left in the tank). If he performs well in that situation I would still be very reluctant to throw him out there again in a save situation. I would try to keep puting him in low pressure situations until either he is ready or if the replacements don't get the job done.

If a save situation were to come up in the next game I would use bautista temporarily because he has the most experience of all of the righties in the bullpen except for Franklin.

In the long hall I like Boggs as our closer although I have liked what I have seen from Sanchez, he is just 2 appearances into his major league career he could be the closer in the future but I don't think you can put him ahead of boggs yet.

Old
04-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Those stats are accounting for saves and save opportunities in a whacky way.
He had 6 blown saves, not two.

Something smells fishy about how they are accounting for blown saves. There's no way he had only two blown saves.

Oh....and I don't care how Franklin did in 2007.
Ok so now your making up numbers and saying that the real numbers aren't as reliable as your made up numbers. Hmmm sounds logical

And sure throw out 2007 he was a worthy all-star selection in 2009 and had arguably better numbers (except for era) in 2010.

Old
04-18-2011, 10:46 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Ok so now your making up numbers and saying that the real numbers aren't as reliable as your made up numbers. Hmmm sounds logical

And sure throw out 2007 he was a worthy all-star selection in 2009 and had arguably better numbers (except for era) in 2010.
Yep. I'm making up numbers.

It's all about how statisticians define blown save.

What I remember is more than two blown saves, which makes me curious about how blown save is defined and how it is accounted.

Either way........Franklin has gotta go.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Yep. I'm making up numbers.

It's all about how statisticians define blown save.

What I remember is more than two blown saves, which makes me curious about how blown save is defined and how it is accounted.

Either way........Franklin has gotta go.
A save is a black and white statistic there is no gray area that goes for a blown save as well. I checked CBS sports and yahoo sports and they both have Franklin down for just two blown saves last year (27 of 29). Don't make up stats and then get mad when Your wrong k?

Old
04-18-2011, 11:09 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
A save is a black and white statistic there is no gray area that goes for a blown save as well. I checked CBS sports and yahoo sports and they both have Franklin down for just two blown saves last year (27 of 29). Don't make up stats and then get mad when Your wrong k?
Excuse me *******? You think I'm mad?

I think you need to ratchet it down buddy.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Excuse me *******? You think I'm mad?

I think you need to ratchet it down buddy.
What website did you get 6 from?

Closed Thread