HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

slimer's game two player review

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 06:58 AM
slimer

vCash: 500
slimer's game two player review

Rating in ().

Osgood – (10) Simply outstanding. He stole the game for the Blues.

Walt – (9) Battled the entire game. He was a bull in front of the net. Scored two nice goals. Its looking like he is answering Pleau’s request to raise his game.

Weight – (8.5) Played a solid two way game. He controlled the flow of the game when he was on the ice.

Pronger – (8.5) Outstanding defensive game. He broke up several developing Avs opportunities. He did a good job of making the Avs pay the price when they came to the net. His offensive game is still a little rusty.

Mac – (8) Steady defensively. Moved the puck well. He took a few questionable penalties that could have been costly.

Jackman – (8) What a warrior. Very solid game both offensively and defensively. He did a good job moving the puck and Avs’ forwards in the defensive zone. I get the feeling Forsberg doesn’t like playing against him very much.

Baron – (7.5) Physical defensive presence. Positioned himself well in the defensive zone and used his size to limit the Avs’ options.

Sejna – (7.5) A much better game. It looked like he shook off the butterflies. He made some nifty moves with the puck, and displayed that quick snap shot on a few occasions. Also did a nice job backchecking.

Cajanek – (7.5) Played a good two way game. He made a couple of nice hits. Still need more from his wings to help him create more offense.

Rycroft – (7.5) Again played with a lot of grit. He won several battles along the boards. He seemed to be involved with the play all over the ice. His play with the puck has been much better than I expected.

Demitra – (7) He looked a little apprehensive early in the game, but as the game wore on, his play improved. He made a great saucer pass on the second Blues goal.

Danton – (7) He was a thorn in the side of the Avs all night. He made a real nice open ice hit. He took one retaliation penalty that was ill advised.

Backman – (7) Played sparingly, but looked very solid when he was on the ice. Look confident carrying and moving the puck. He positioned himself well defensively and used his reach to his advantage.

Finley – (6.5) Played like the solid Finley that we say two years ago. You hardly seemed to notice him, which can be a good thing for a defenseman.

Mayers – (6) Again, showed lots of speed and forechecked well. Again, showed hands of stone.

Heerema – (6) Displayed his quickness and speed. Forechecked adequately but just isn’t strong enough to be a Mayer’s type of forechecker. If he just had a little bit of offensive creativity, he could be a real asset.

R. Johnson – (6) Flew all over the ice. Not as strong as Meyer’s, but display a little better hands. Playing with Low doesn’t help his offensive game.

Nickluas – (5.5) Worked hard, played solid defensively, but didn’t provide much help in the offensive zone.

Low – (4) He still looked slow, but a least he positioned himself a little better so that he could keep up with the flow. He also made a few hits. His role as an enforcer wasn’t required last night.

Osgood really stole this game for the Blues. The Blues took too many penalties even though I thought several were questionable. However, the Blues played Q’s defensive system to the T. This was a great game to watch. Beating an extremely talented Avs team on their ice was a big win.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Frenzy1

I don't agree with all of your ratings, but everyone has something to say.

1. Rycroft looks to be the best of the rookies so far. He offers some O, but plays a much simpler game then does Senja. Great on the forecheck and started the 2nd goal, w/ a pass interception in his own end.

2. Hereema looks lost on the PP. Take him off the 1st unit. Didn't move well on the man advantage. Wasn't very impressed w/ him in the O zone, but played D well.

3. Nickulas didn't look good. 1st one to go, IMO..

4. Low. I like low, he played his own game well. (Keep in mind that the Aves were trying to get one of their top lines out against our 4th and did it a couple times.) Hit well, stayed in pos. well... Not a D liability.

5. Johnson needs more playing time, really buzzes out there.

6. Sejna looked OK, but nothing special. I think it will take him 10-15 games to get going.

7. Backman was solid, moved the puck well, and didn't have any visible brain farts.

IMO, the Blues played their game well, using a counter attack and heavy forecheck. The aves got hit hard and often leading to some crying at the end of the game. Need to let Mayers and Walt take the faceoffs for the 1st two lines and no stupid penalties.

Didn't take chances, were awake on the cross ice pass/transition game of the Aves, and really limited them Offensively. 40 shots, but few rebounds (unless you count Peters 3 from 1 foot out) and opened the shooting lanes for Osgood.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:03 AM
slimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
I don't agree with all of your ratings, but everyone has something to say.

1. Rycroft looks to be the best of the rookies so far. He offers some O, but plays a much simpler game then does Senja. Great on the forecheck and started the 2nd goal, w/ a pass interception in his own end.

2. Hereema looks lost on the PP. Take him off the 1st unit. Didn't move well on the man advantage. Wasn't very impressed w/ him in the O zone, but played D well.

3. Nickulas didn't look good. 1st one to go, IMO..

4. Low. I like low, he played his own game well. (Keep in mind that the Aves were trying to get one of their top lines out against our 4th and did it a couple times.) Hit well, stayed in pos. well... Not a D liability.

5. Johnson needs more playing time, really buzzes out there.

6. Sejna looked OK, but nothing special. I think it will take him 10-15 games to get going.

7. Backman was solid, moved the puck well, and didn't have any visible brain farts.

IMO, the Blues played their game well, using a counter attack and heavy forecheck. The aves got hit hard and often leading to some crying at the end of the game. Need to let Mayers and Walt take the faceoffs for the 1st two lines and no stupid penalties.

Didn't take chances, were awake on the cross ice pass/transition game of the Aves, and really limited them Offensively. 40 shots, but few rebounds (unless you count Peters 3 from 1 foot out) and opened the shooting lanes for Osgood.
Other than Low, your comments sounded pretty similar to mine. If you think my ratings were off, how would you have rated them?

Old
10-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Frenzy1

Well for starters, I would switch Mayers rating w/ Sejnas. (Sejna has more potential, but didn't do anything to stand out. Meyers at least created some opportunities - though didn't come close to finishing).

I would give Low a 6. (I guess I should have asked you how your ratings went - is 5 = average, about what was expected, 7 = stood out, etc...)

Johnson should be rated higher (again not going to score but really helps keep the play at the other end of the ice).

I also would lower Baron's rating to that of Finley. (Hard to tell as he had to play against tougher players).

I would switch Pavs. w/ Weights. (Not because of the last goal, I just thought his line played a lot better then Weights - He also really got back on D, I remember thinking holy smokes, Pav is playing D on more then one occassion.)

Old
10-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Nick Blue

slimer, I think your summaries are pretty much dead on. good job. Nick

Old
10-14-2003, 06:20 PM
slimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
slimer, I think your summaries are pretty much dead on. good job. Nick
Thanks

Old
10-14-2003, 06:21 PM
slimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Well for starters, I would switch Mayers rating w/ Sejnas. (Sejna has more potential, but didn't do anything to stand out. Meyers at least created some opportunities - though didn't come close to finishing).

I would give Low a 6. (I guess I should have asked you how your ratings went - is 5 = average, about what was expected, 7 = stood out, etc...)

Johnson should be rated higher (again not going to score but really helps keep the play at the other end of the ice).

I also would lower Baron's rating to that of Finley. (Hard to tell as he had to play against tougher players).

I would switch Pavs. w/ Weights. (Not because of the last goal, I just thought his line played a lot better then Weights - He also really got back on D, I remember thinking holy smokes, Pav is playing D on more then one occassion.)
Ok, I can see your arguments. I just called it like I saw it. Thanks for the feedback.

Closed Thread