HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In praise of Shane O'Brien.

Old
03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Third man in doesn't apply unless it's a fight. The rulebook doesn't plainly state it that way, but I've had this discussion with someone before. It's reasonable to assume that the wording of the rule for third man in means a fight. There would be plausible exceptions if there isn't a fight, but it's a particularly unruly scrum with multiple partners and a player intentionally creates more havoc for the refs to deal with. Of course it's all a matter of interpretation really...

:Edit: hahaha just glanced at the rulebook again to make sure I was right, and I noticed something that was either recently added or I overlooked it. At the end of the definition of the rule it says that it "generally" applies to "fightys"... yes it actually says fightys. That's awesome haha... Anyway, that was my point. It almost always has to be a fight. Otherwise it will have to be a particularly chaotic situation. Certainly worse than Morrow/SOB/Benn incident.

As far as SOB goes... I would like the guy much less if he were on the second pair. He's playing limited minutes, but I just can't help but think he'll be a liability in the play offs. Especially on the penalty kill... I hope I'm wrong of course.

And yeah I give him credit for drawing a penalty on Morrow. The bad penalties are what get me, but utm also makes some good points. I don't know. I guess every fan needs that one player to dislike. Mine is SOB

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:46 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Just a little revival of this thread. I hope we keep SOB next year. I know we have lots of talent but man I love his intensity. He does have a few stupid penalties but man is he fun to watch out there.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:47 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Just a little revival of this thread. I hope we keep SOB next year. I know we have lots of talent but man I love his intensity. He does have a few stupid penalties but man is he fun to watch out there.
That was just game 1 the Ducks are going to come at us hard and heavy and I'm glad SOB is there. Without him then Weber gets beat on and that takes a toll. SOB can take the beating and beat back with the same and even more and in the playoffs when as you have seen that the play around the net is let go. SOB has even showed players like Klein and Franson to bring the fight so to speak.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:47 PM
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
That was just game 1 the Ducks are going to come at us hard and heavy and I'm glad SOB is there. Without him then Weber gets beat on and that takes a toll. SOB can take the beating and beat back with the same and even more and in the playoffs when as you have seen that the play around the net is let go. SOB has even showed players like Klein and Franson to bring the fight so to speak.
He's a valuable agitator for sure, I think he can get in their heads and psyche them out. I love to see him get in a scuffle and he's laughing about it while the opponent goes apesh*t. He'll really need to watch the dumb penalties 'cos he does us no good in the box and the refs don't seem to care for us at all.

mollymcdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:22 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Did he take a "dumb" penalty wednesday? sure he got the one interference penalty after a failed pinch where he was trying to prevent a break away but that wasn't dumb. the pinch was dumb but not the penalty. I'm forgetting what the first one was....

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Honestly, in Jackets-Preds games this year one of my favorite comments about SOB was "It's so good to see boneheadedness you normally despise turning out to your benefit."

The guy's serviceable, and I'm probably picking on him too much (I recognize the pattern), but... I can't help it. He drives me nuts. I won't freak if he's resigned (and no, I won't be rejoicing on behalf of the CBJ either), but I will have to learn a little more tolerance, and a bit more appreciation for his work near the crease.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 07:26 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Well I typed that before his game 2 first period dumb penalty that led to a 5 on 3 against us. However, I still enjoy him very much. But that was a bad, bad time to take a penalty.

Old
04-17-2011, 07:12 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Dumb**** hothead goat****er obrien may have singlehandedly flushed a whole season down the tubes. To repeat what Pred303 said elsewhere, trotz needs to tell him to just pack up his **** and leave.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

His negatives outweigh his positives. It's so frustrating because the guy is talented, but his head isn't on straight.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:47 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

SOB wasn't good tonight, but at least he wasn't infuriating. It's an improvement. He needs to stop pretending to be Bobby Orr. If anyone on that pairing needs to be pinching it's Franson.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Leggy and fisher bailed him out. If we had lost a game we had otherwise dominated so thoroughly I would have bought a ticketto gamefour just to spit at him at warmups

Old
04-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Pred303

i alternate between praising and cussing at him.. closely together it seems.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:33 AM
PaulQ

The guy is a penalty machine.... and got benched the last 5 minutes if im not mistaken...

PaulQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 08:43 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
i alternate between praising and cussing at him.. closely together it seems.
Me too.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 08:59 AM
deanwormer

As frustrating as SOB is, it was he who came over and told Mr. Perry that it wasn't acceptable to be beating on SK after the whistle. THAT was the SOB we need, sticking up for his teammates under control (mostly).

and I think he's trying to, for the most part, give up his Bobby Orr imitation. still doesn't play quite like a stay-at-home guy, but it's been better. His mistakes are less-magnified in a game like this one where Franson stepped up his game a good bit - played more physically, didn't panic with the puck, played good position. It gives SOB a little more freedom to clear the crease and play the more-physical game we need from him - assuming he keeps his head on straight.

At the end of the day, he's a 3rd pair guy - he's played much better than that most of the year. Just time to not be stupid.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

He is an easy guy to get pissed at. He takes bad penalties a la Brendan Witt. However, he has played a 2 solid games in this series.

Three things:

1) While the Franson/O'Brien pairing has been pretty good this year, they are assuming the wrong roles as a duo. Franson is becoming the defensively responsible one, which negates his best asset, his wizadry as an offensive-defenseman. Additionally, his lack of foot-speed kills him when he is trying to get back after a gaffe by the pairing. O'Brien on the other hand has been pinching all-season long at a very high rate. It isn't that his pinches are bad, so much as, they accomplish little. He has the offensive instincts of Jerred Smithson unfortunately. I would like to see this change next year if we bring O'Brien back.

2) I probably would resign O'Brien if we can get him to a similar contract.

3) OB has played two strong games so far. Game 2 was an unmitigated disaster for him, but last night he played exactly as he should. Tough, hard-nosed hockey without going over the edge. The penalty call on him was laughable. It wasn't even a very hard hockey play, and it definitely was not a penalty. The Perry incident is exactly why we need him in the lineup. The officials not tagging Perry is mind-numbingly inexcusable.....

You want to know why the Predators season has been able to overcome such an insane amount of injuries, look to the free acquisitions of O'Brien and SK. Two of Poile's shining moments. He added more grit on the defensive end, something he has never been able to accomplish without sacrificing a first for Witt-less, and nabbed the most dynamic offensive player on this team for pennies on the dollar. Way to go David Poile.

04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
O'Brien Should be benched for the remainder of the series. The Duckies score a goal practically every time he's in the box. If hadn't taken that dumb penalty in 1st period of game 2 who knows what could have happened. we could be up 3-0 instead of just 2-1

why the heck did we trade Sulzer, a good defensive defenceman and keep O'Brien. (not to mention why Laakso still playing in Milwaukee when he seems to be NHL ready).

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:26 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan View Post
O'Brien Should be benched for the remainder of the series. The Duckies score a goal practically every time he's in the box. If hadn't taken that dumb penalty in 1st period of game 2 who knows what could have happened. we could be up 3-0 instead of just 2-1

why the heck did we trade Sulzer, a good defensive defenceman and keep O'Brien. (not to mention why Laakso still playing in Milwaukee when he seems to be NHL ready).
Uh, without SOB I think the Ducks run all over us, physically speaking.

And your mention of Laakso makes me laugh. Yeah, bring in a guy with NO NHL experience for the playoffs.

I thought Sulzer sucked plain and simple.

Old
04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

He's a meathead. A somewhat useful meathead, but nonetheless a meathead.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:11 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Uh, without SOB I think the Ducks run all over us, physically speaking.

And your mention of Laakso makes me laugh. Yeah, bring in a guy with NO NHL experience for the playoffs.

I thought Sulzer sucked plain and simple.
Your exactly right ...When the Duck tried to push Rinne around SOB was right there to answer it and the same with Sk. By the way Perry should have had a penalty for punching SK in the face. In the past the Sharks,Wings and the Hawks pushed us around but we are not being pushed around anymore thanks to SOB. He isn't only one who has cost us a goal with a penalty...think about Erat and Legwand

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:55 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Anyone else wanna defend this ****ing moron?

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 04-21-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: word edit
Old
04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Blue Jackets fan here. I hate him, so he must be doing something right.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:57 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
There is no defending him. The guy is an absolute clown.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:00 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Maybe he just doesn't want to come back next year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:06 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Maybe he just doesn't want to come back next year.
One would hope he'd do that verbally and not by taking dumb penalties.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote