HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colin Wilson?

Old
04-18-2011, 02:38 PM
canucks95

vCash: 500
Colin Wilson?

Hey guys, having watched a good part of your series (Been a great one BTW, very impressed with the way both teams have played), I don't think I have ever seen Colin Wilson on the ice, surprised me as watching him as a youngster and a few times the past few years, he really seems like a guy who would really elevate his game in the postseason, has he really fallen off that much in your depth charts behind guys like Halischuk?

Thanks guys, good luck the rest of the series.

canucks95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

He had a pretty good first half of the season, then it seems like a lot of his creativity just disappeared. He hadn't been making much mistakes but not doing enough all around to keep his spot when players got healthy. I think this will be a wake up call for him, hes only 21 has lots of room to develop and Trotz simply didnt think he was contributing enough to start him when the post season started and players also got healthy. (sullivan and O'reilly).... Its kinda funny he played all 82 games, 1 of 2 preds and now hes a health scratch in the Playoffs

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:46 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks95 View Post
Hey guys, having watched a good part of your series (Been a great one BTW, very impressed with the way both teams have played), I don't think I have ever seen Colin Wilson on the ice, surprised me as watching him as a youngster and a few times the past few years, he really seems like a guy who would really elevate his game in the postseason, has he really fallen off that much in your depth charts behind guys like Halischuk?

Thanks guys, good luck the rest of the series.
Kind of hard to relate the two since Wilson is a skilled guy that has good deking skills while Halischuk is a grinder (albeit a relatively skilled grinder). Halischuk is affective on the 4th line, which is where he is playing in the playoffs, while Wilson is not. Halischuk is light-years ahead of Wilson in terms of defense. Wilson's defense might be the worst on the team in terms of forwards.

Also, in the final 2 weeks of the season, Wilson finished with 1 point (1 goal) and Halischuk 5 points (2 goals). Wilson is supposed to be (and is...) the more skilled player, but the results showed otherwise.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Kind of hard to relate the two since Wilson is a skilled guy that has good deking skills while Halischuk is a grinder (albeit a relatively skilled grinder). Halischuk is affective on the 4th line, which is where he is playing in the playoffs, while Wilson is not. Halischuk is light-years ahead of Wilson in terms of defense. Wilson's defense might be the worst on the team in terms of forwards.

Also, in the final 2 weeks of the season, Wilson finished with 1 point (1 goal) and Halischuk 5 points (2 goals). Wilson is supposed to be (and is...) the more skilled player, but the results showed otherwise.
Sorry, I have to "chime" in here. Defensively, Wilson is +9 on the season. He had one noteable defensive brain fart against St Louis, and a goal was scored.
Funny thing is, Halischuk had the exact same brain lapse in game 1 of this series! Only difference is the other team did not score. (people only harp on these things when a goal is scored).
Wilson averaged 7 - 8 minutes per game in the last 15......hard to rack up any points
Halischuk, definitely not taking away from him, as I like his style of play (completely different from Wilson), got 5 points playing on a line where he average 15 minutes a game. Big difference.
I think Wilson is being sent a message, and Trotz figures he can afford not to play him right now. Not sure why he did not do this during regular season instead of waiting until playoffs?
I know you all think I am a Wilson "homer" but I know his style of play as I have followed him, and other prospects from 2005 - 2010 closely.
Trotz referred into an article as Ryan Suter having a similar situation in his first full year. Anyone remember or have info. on that?
Interestingly, Tyler Seguin seems to be experiencing the same thing in Boston. Ice time went WAY down for last 15 games or so. Healthy scratch during playoff games.
Part of developement for these young guys on certain teams........

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
canucks95

Ah alright, thanks for all of the info guys, hopefully he can be put into the right role and succeed in it, the kid has tons of potential and should be a great player for a long time.

Enjoy the playoffs!

canucks95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:56 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Sorry, I have to "chime" in here. Defensively, Wilson is +9 on the season. He had one noteable defensive brain fart against St Louis, and a goal was scored. .
I think it's a bit delusional to think that Wilson is sitting over one noteable brain fart. He was not contributing in a positive manner - offensively or defensively - for weeks. Sully is back and Trotz chose the veteran presence over the future scorer for our 4th line. Really, it's that simple - unless you can make a case that he should play ahead of Ward, Erat, SK, or Horny there really isn't a spot for him to play right now.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I think it's a bit delusional to think that Wilson is sitting over one noteable brain fart. He was not contributing in a positive manner - offensively or defensively - for weeks. Sully is back and Trotz chose the veteran presence over the future scorer for our 4th line. Really, it's that simple - unless you can make a case that he should play ahead of Ward, Erat, SK, or Horny there really isn't a spot for him to play right now.
Was not saying at all that that was the reason he was sitting. I was referring to a quote about his defensive play. Pointing out that he was a +9, when someone talked about his defense..... I don"t think he would, or has benefited at all playing on the 4th line and getting limited ice. Nor do I think that is the role that Nashville wants him to play. Growing pains happen. Young guys playing in different systems etc.

Old
04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

What are you guys expecting from him next season? In terms of points, play and icetime?

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Suter's first year he played the whole season but they brought Shea up at the end of the year and played him during the playoff instead of Ryan.

Ryan went back to WI and pouted for a couple months until Coach Peterson traveled up there to meet with him. He reassured Ryan that they still thought highly of him and expect big things from him but he'd have to grow up a little because he wasn't as good as he thought....yet.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Was not saying at all that that was the reason he was sitting. I was referring to a quote about his defensive play. Pointing out that he was a +9, when someone talked about his defense..... I don"t think he would, or has benefited at all playing on the 4th line and getting limited ice. Nor do I think that is the role that Nashville wants him to play. Growing pains happen. Young guys playing in different systems etc.
+/- is in no way indicative of defensive play. The defensive stalwart Danny Briere is +20. Nick Lidstrom is a - player. The single most useless stat in the entire NHL.

If it can be prevented, Trotz almost never has Wilson on the ice when the other team has legit offensive threats out for a shift. While not terrible defensively, at this point in his career, Wilson is without a doubt one of the weakest forwards on our team defensively.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Sorry, I have to "chime" in here. Defensively, Wilson is +9 on the season. He had one noteable defensive brain fart against St Louis, and a goal was scored.
+/- is irrelevant do your defensive prowess. You have to use the +/- with other stats to prove the value. For instance, Franson was a +10 on the season...
Quote:
Funny thing is, Halischuk had the exact same brain lapse in game 1 of this series! Only difference is the other team did not score. (people only harp on these things when a goal is scored).
that would be because they are only important if the other team scores (or if they led to a goal via a PowerPlay, etc)...
Quote:
Wilson averaged 7 - 8 minutes per game in the last 15......hard to rack up any points
Halischuk, definitely not taking away from him, as I like his style of play (completely different from Wilson), got 5 points playing on a line where he average 15 minutes a game. Big difference.
False, Wilson averaged 9:11 while Halischuk averaged 12:28.
Quote:
I think Wilson is being sent a message, and Trotz figures he can afford not to play him right now. Not sure why he did not do this during regular season instead of waiting until playoffs?
I know you all think I am a Wilson "homer" but I know his style of play as I have followed him, and other prospects from 2005 - 2010 closely.
It has nothing to do with defensive mishaps. He struggles on break out passes, he turns the puck over in he neutral zone, he has trouble chipping the puck out of the zone to relieve the pressure, despite being smaller Halischuk is better at separating the body from the puck, and Wilson has NOT created any offense. It seems like he rushes EVERY time he gets the puck.

The game has to slow down for him right now and it has not. I cannot tell you HOW many times Wilson has made a blind pass or a pass to no one. You can't have that in the playoffs. And while I think Wilson has TREMENDOUS upside, in my opinion, I'd rather have Sullivan and JP Dumont in the lineup than him. Wilson has all the skills to be an incredible stick-handler and to create goals for himself. But he has to polish his all-around game before he will ever see time on the 2nd or 3rd lines in the NHL.

Btw, the message was not JUST sent to him. In my opinion, it was sent to him a while back when he was moved from his natural center position out to the wing. Why? Defense...

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:08 PM
nine_inch_fang

Trotz never played him at center.

Old
04-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Trotz never played him at center.
I thought he was played at center for awhile when he was first on the team.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Pretty sure he came in last year playing on the wing with Arnott. Has played center a few times, when needed in the middle of a game, but rarely for an entire game.

Old
04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Quote:
Pretty sure he came in last year playing on the wing with Arnott. Has played center a few times, when needed in the middle of a game, but rarely for an entire game.
Maybe random shifts or he might have wound up down low in the d-zone because he was the first forward back...

Old
04-18-2011, 09:26 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Its pretty simple. Wilsons not playing well enough to have a spot on the top lines and he is not defensively responsible enough to play on the bottom lines. So he sits. He will get a shot next year.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Anyone questioning why Wilson is being sat now in the playoffs after playing in all 82 regular season games should realize this...this is the healthiest the team has been since the 7th game of the season when Goc was boarded by Backstrom and went down with an injury to his shoulder.

Wilson is not being sat for any one error. He is sitting though because of the fact that he hasn't been giving it his all on a consistent basis. Far too often has he appeared to be only giving it ~80% on a given shift or throughout the course of a whole game.

There is more to Colin Wilson's game that he has to give on a consistent basis if he wants to become a legitimate NHL scoring line player. Especially in the playoffs where effort and dedication to giving it everything you have every shift of every game is of vital importance.

Personally, there hasn't been a moment yet in this series that I've missed Colin Wilson and that is more of an indictment on Wilson and his play than on Trotz or any one else...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Wilson DID play center for his first month in the league. He started out centering Ward and Jones. He stayed at center until being sent down to Milwaukee.

When he got called back up, that's when the switch to wing occurred.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:54 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Anyone questioning why Wilson is being sat now in the playoffs after playing in all 82 regular season games should realize this...this is the healthiest the team has been since the 7th game of the season when Goc was boarded by Backstrom and went down with an injury to his shoulder.

Wilson is not being sat for any one error. He is sitting though because of the fact that he hasn't been giving it his all on a consistent basis. Far too often has he appeared to be only giving it ~80% on a given shift or throughout the course of a whole game.

There is more to Colin Wilson's game that he has to give on a consistent basis if he wants to become a legitimate NHL scoring line player. Especially in the playoffs where effort and dedication to giving it everything you have every shift of every game is of vital importance.

Personally, there hasn't been a moment yet in this series that I've missed Colin Wilson and that is more of an indictment on Wilson and his play than on Trotz or any one else...
The fourth line hasn't played that much anyways. Sully is only one that has scored on the fourth line and that was a big goal. Has Halichuk played lights out ...no but I think it's more of the point that Sully isn't a great defender either but he's a Trotz guy and experience is the reason he is playing and not Wilson. I like Wilson a lot and think he's going to be a prominent scorer in this league. This one is on Trotz and I'm not arguing with success. But our 4th leading scorer for forwards out of the lineup is questionable

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
The fourth line hasn't played that much anyways. Sully is only one that has scored on the fourth line and that was a big goal. Has Halichuk played lights out ...no but I think it's more of the point that Sully isn't a great defender either but he's a Trotz guy and experience is the reason he is playing and not Wilson. I like Wilson a lot and think he's going to be a prominent scorer in this league. This one is on Trotz and I'm not arguing with success. But our 4th leading scorer for forwards out of the lineup is questionable
Sully used to be a top pk forward. He's not a liability. Wilson is not a speedy energy type guy that you throw out there 5 minutes a game. It's just not a good role for him.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Sully is the vet presence, and was just coming off the groin. I think Trotz believes if he coddles him a little bit in the first series, he could become much more of a factor later in the playoffs.

Also, Fisher has been added to the mix, putting yet another forward in front of Wilson since Sully and O'reilly have came back.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:17 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Sully used to be a top pk forward. He's not a liability. Wilson is not a speedy energy type guy that you throw out there 5 minutes a game. It's just not a good role for him.
For a fourth line guy defensively he is liabilty. His veteran presence is the reason he is in the lineup. The series isn't over yet. It will determined if Sully can maintain his status physically...I hope he does. I like Sully. right now we have depth for the first time in our history. Usually we normally have major injuries this time of year/

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:17 AM
braindead

I'd still like to see him back in at some point. He has a beast mode that pops out in some games and I'd like to see if it is on display in the playoffs. Having said that, I don't mind him sitting. Having said that, Sully hasn't been great.

I think we may see him in Game 5 to give Sully more rest on the short turn around.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:29 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I think we may see him in Game 5 to give Sully more rest on the short turn around.
I agree but only if we're up 3-1. Then another fresh big body who will be motivated to hit will be just the thing to add to the mix.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:07 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I'd still like to see him back in at some point. He has a beast mode that pops out in some games and I'd like to see if it is on display in the playoffs. Having said that, I don't mind him sitting. Having said that, Sully hasn't been great.

The risk you run is, "do we get 'beast mode,' or do we get the Wilson that scored 3 pts, post ASG, and is terrible defensively"

This benching was long, long overdue, and things are working right now. I'd hesitate to mess with it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote