HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brent Burns

Old
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
There is no way I am giving up Smid, Pitlick and 31 for Burns, giving away 3 assets for 1 is not doing a proper rebuild.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:38 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
There is no way I am giving up Smid, Pitlick and 31 for Burns, giving away 3 assets for 1 is not doing a proper rebuild.
I don't understand this logic. First, Minnesota would laugh at that offer. Second, Burns is a top end defenseman who is young and would be here long term.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Moneypuck

Burns is in the same situation that Shea Webber is. Why give up all those assets if you can get him for free a year down the road.

Burns....blah, rubbish. Rather pay more and get the real deal in Weber.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
there is going to be a log jam on the depth charts as it is, given their draft record over the past few years they are going to be even more loaded with assets. Lots of good potential 2nd and 3rd line talent they have already, if you don't want to part with Smid (great bottom pairing D on a good team), Pitlick (projected 3rd, maybe 2nd liner) and the 31st pick for a stud D-man who is exactly what the team desperately needs... I don't know what to say. Minny would laugh at that trade offer first of all, so if they would accept it for some reason you take it and run with it.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
Burns is in the same situation that Shea Webber is. Why give up all those assets if you can get him for free a year down the road.

Burns....blah, rubbish. Rather pay more and get the real deal in Weber.
Except Weber won't be available. Nashville will lock him up long term. We can do the same with Burns if we trade for him. The "get him for free in a year" implies that they only sign him for one year...which they won't.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Minny isn't exactly in wonderful cap shape.

Havlat 4 more years at 5 mill
Bouchard 2 more years at over 4 mill
Cullen 2 more years at over 3 mill
Koivu 7 more years at 6.75
Nystom and Clutterbuck 2 more years at 1.4
Zidlicky 2 more years at 4 mill
Schultz 3 more years at 3.5
Backstrom 2 more years at 6 mill
Burns has one more year left on his deal and will be expecting a raise over 3.55 I would guess.

I wouldn't deal him if I was them but they could probably get max value about now.

Out of those names - I'd be interested in Nystrom.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Almost every other team could best that offer if Burns was available, even if Minnesota was "looking to trade him".
Burns only has 1 year left before he turns UFA and reportedly is asking for 5M (or maybe 5M+, I can't remember). If Minny doesn't want salary coming back that severely limits their options. I don't think they'll get as much as you think. That being said, if they can't re-sign Burns I think they'll do their best not to trade him within the division. He is a fan favorite and they'd probably try to minimize the bad PR by trading him as far away from them as possible.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
I wonder if Minny would look at 10th overall plus Burns for 1st overall(+??) That would make a big splash for them with the draft and quickly silence the fanbase over the loss.
The Oilers could then draft Mark McNeill

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 06:15 PM
IV XIV XCI

He'd never do it. His collection of exotic animals would not approve of the transition to Edmonton

Last edited by misfit: 04-19-2011 at 10:22 PM.
IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Prince Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
I wonder if Minny would have any interest in Gilbert, Minny native and all.

Why wouldn't they want salary back, they aren't close to the cap and sell out every game?

Gilbert, LAK 1st, Pitlick, 31st overall.

Or Hemsky and LAK 1st.
If they are looking to trade burns, it would be most likely for salary cap reasons and if that is true I doubt they would want to take on Gilbert's contract. My two cents.

Prince Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:18 AM
tsnTpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
Is the difference between first overall and 10th overall Brent Burns? With the draft being in Minny this year it might be something for Tambo to look at.
Is this a joke? Tambo is not an idiot.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
He'd never do it. His collection of exotic animals would not approve of the transition to Edmonton

Fixed.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
Pipe dream, look at a team with cap issues if you want a young, #1 defender.
The feeling is that Burns will cost about $5-5.5M for Minny to resign and that they would likely not want pay that much for a guy who has had injury issues. So if that is the case, Minny might act now.

It seems that Leipold has stated that he wants more offense, and that the team needs to become a playoff contender now. This means that they will need to spend their money on forwards. And since they don't have a lot of room, and offense costs more than anything else, something has to give. Burns is the best piece they have to offer to upgrade their forwards.

It also means that waiting until the deadline may not make sense for several reasons. First, if Minny is in playoff contention they will not want to hurt their chances by dealing Burns. If they are out of it, a deal would mean picks and prospects, which does not fit the win now timeline.

I think Burns is exactly the type of palyer the Oilers should be looking to aquire. A deal involving Burns and Hemsky would be fine by me.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
i'd offer the LA pick and Smid. anything more is not worth it since we won't win the trade. its not about getting value with trades, but instead about winning ever single trade we make. Put simply - if we don't win the trade, don't do it. That's how teams like chicago got to the Cup - for example the Sharp trade for basically nothing.

Our team is ok now, we might as well wait for winning trades. Any lateral trade won't get us anywhere. An example of a lateral move is trading Hemsky for Burns (let alone adding in a 1st round pick...). Smid and a 1st might be viewed as an underpayment, but that's what it is, because this team shouldn't be overpaying any time soon.

We'll probably be a bottom 5 team next year as well (I hope not, but it is a possibility), so there's no rush to get guys like Burns this year....but he's an example of a nice piece to add if the other team "needs" to trade him, since they would be cheaper.
Hemsky for Burns is not a lateral move at all, if you can sign Burns that is. You are trading from an area of team strength (top six wingers) to fill a gaping hole (top-pairing defensemen).

If Burns gets dealt from Minny there is an extremely good chance he signs with the club he is traded to. Even if he goes UFA the only way the OIlers get him is to outbid everyone else. So the wait until he turns UFA is basically the same as a pass.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Pros and Cons

Pass.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:53 AM
BlowbyBlow

Its time for the team to develop from within none of this sucking up (Heatley, Nylander) I hope you like us we will treat you like gold let Katz fly his private jet to pick you up.

Desperation is desperation. I think the team has to in the future seriously have character evaluations on players. A Vernon Fidler, Brooks Laich player is fine.

But, proposals of Jason Arnott, or Brent Burns, Or Stastny this team really doesn't know what there getting character wise and if they want to commit to a rebuild.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post

Last I checked the weather in Minny is not that different from Edmonton.

Last edited by misfit: 04-19-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I wonder if Minny would look at 10th overall plus Burns for 1st overall(+??) That would make a big splash for them with the draft and quickly silence the fanbase over the loss.
The Oilers could then draft Mark McNeill
Not that I would do that deal, but I bet draft day would be over the top in Minny this year.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Not that I would do that deal, but I bet draft day would be over the top in Minny this year.
Would make it easier for Edmonton to package the 10th plus LA's 1st to pick up Huberdeau, Strome or maybe even Couturier.
So it would end up 1st overall + LA's 1st for Burns +4,5 or 6th overall.....am I out to lunch here?

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote