HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF #3: Flyers @ Sabres - Monday, Apr. 18, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2011, 11:09 PM
KevinFG

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Nice job by the Flyers tonight. Great road game. I look forward to Game 4.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Snipsnap12

The only true offensive zone time the sabres get is on the powerplay, stay outta the box and dominate 5 on 5. But as I said in my earlier post GREAT job to kill the 5 on 3

Old
04-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Miss Mess

Boucher was great. When Danny scored, I have never heard an arena so quiet.

Kimmo and Coburn were +3

Old
04-18-2011, 11:21 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I feel good about this series boys! Great statement win on the road to retake home ice! The Sabres can not keep up with our depth. Their best forwards are being shut down, and their inexperienced defense can't stop 3 dangerous lines.
-Great to see each line register a tally and great to see Carter get on the board. I think he's taking a lot of unessecary heat these first few games. He wasn't getting many breaks in the offensive zone, but he sure as hell has showed up in his own end and is clearly bringing the effort. He's been more physical that in years past as well.
-Power play is looked much better in the zone, but were still having trouble getting set up and generating prolonged possession in the offensive zone.
-PK was incredible tonight. Killing off that double minor on a dumb move by hartnell gave us a huge boost, and getting rid of that late 5 on 3 was the deciding factor in the game IMO.
-Hope Pronger is back Wednesday so we can shut this series down.

LETS GO FLYERS, CLOSE IT OUT AT HOME ON FRIDAY!!!

Old
04-18-2011, 11:23 PM
FlyersFanatic

Have gotten a ton of texts from butt sore sabre fans. Love it. Hopefully they keep this up and can win this series.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post

Kimmo and Coburn were +3
Coburn was a monster tonight, especially during the 5 on 3. I have to give him credit, come playoff time he shows up

Old
04-18-2011, 11:26 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
The team looked good Giroux and JVR with another strong game and just about everyone put in a good effort. Zherdev did float around a lot and couldn't do anything but shoot the puck which is normal for him. Hopefully Boosh can keep up his play but I don't know. If he has one bad game I could see Leighton coming in and taking over for him. Either way are games will be won in front of the goalies and not because of them. We need a full team effort to get the cup to Philly!

Old
04-18-2011, 11:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1553
Post-game quotes concerning the 3-on-5:

http://www.csnphilly.com/04/18/11/Bi...572&feedID=695

Quote:
Nonetheless, the Flyers’ penalty-killing unit came up big in the third period, and the team managed to fight their way to a 4-2 Game 3 win over the Buffalo Sabres, taking a 2-1 series lead.

“I think it was one of the turning points of the game,” Danny Briere said. “There’s been 5 on 3s every game of this series. We got away with it last game when we gave them one and didn’t score on ours, but tonight it was definitely a big key thing in the third.”

For a Flyers team that’s struggled to hold one-goal leads all season, killing of 1:16 of 5 on 3 when the scoreboard read 3-2 was a daunting task. That they managed to hold the Sabres scoreless – and allow them just one chance on net – most certainly helped them power on to victory.

“It was huge,” Sean O’Donnell said. “I think that if Buffalo had scored then and went on to win the game, that would have been the turning point of the game. The fact that we were able to kill that maybe took a little momentum from them and from the building.”
Quote:
As far as captain Mike Richards was concerned, his team was successful on the big third-period kill simply because they broke it down into basics, and frustrated the Sabres by doing what the textbook calls for.

“It was good,” Richards said. “Our defense blocked a couple shots. There were a couple clears, which take 15 seconds off the clock. And Boosh (Brian Boucher) made a couple big saves when he needed to.”

Old
04-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Snipsnap12

^^^^ so huge, boys should be proud for killing that

Old
04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Prior to the game, Bundy mentioned exhaustion when describing Bobrovsky. Bundy isn't one to toe-the-line. Later, during intermission, the Delco Times writer mentioned the situation and specifically Bob with a similar description. It could be that the team felt it was better Bob was away from everything including fans, and to chill for a game. Very unorthodox. Right now, it looks like the correct decision.
Bob topped out at something like 32 games prior to coming to America. Makes sense. Analogous to JvR last year, perhaps.

He is still a boy in a sport of men. He's being treated the right way.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Snipsnap12

I thought zherdev played very even keel, I caught him floating once, but I noticed him backchecking more often than not. He is very dangerous with the puck and finding open space, and when we need a lead locked down powe steps onto the richie line and it works out nicely.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:41 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
As O’Donnell was quick to mention after the game, it was the Flyers’ play that put them on the kill, and that’s something they’ll have to work on; the calls to Zherdev and Powe were both warranted.
Tim panaccio really thought that zherdev's "slashing" call was warranted....He really makes me wonder if he's actually watching the game sometimes

Old
04-18-2011, 11:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
I thought zherdev played very even keel, I caught him floating once, but I noticed him backchecking more often than not. He is very dangerous with the puck and finding open space, and when we need a lead locked down powe steps onto the richie line and it works out nicely.
It's very difficult to describe his situation. I get very excited to see him play, and for him to get ANOTHER chance...and then when he gets benched again, it's kind of like "well I guess I'm not surprised." More often than not you see him playing hard both ways. But when he slips up, you cringe knowing he could be up in the press box next game

Old
04-18-2011, 11:45 PM
skoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post

Kimmo and Coburn were +3
That save by Boucher on (I think) Stafford was amazing. Bouch's whole body almost went in the net but he kept it out. I really liked the fact that, when Gerbe scored to narrow it to 3-2, Bouch looked truly pissed at himself believing that he should have saved it. Most goalies make the, "woops, not my fault," body motion and it's so annoying.

When Briere scored, I didn't think it went in because the crowd was so quiet and Albert didn't say anything for a second or two. I really though that Briere was celebrating for no reason and that Miller made the crazy save.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:46 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Tim panaccio really thought that zherdev's "slashing" call was warranted....He really makes me wonder if he's actually watching the game sometimes
Pinaccio is a Penguins fan...

Old
04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
skoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
It's very difficult to describe his situation. I get very excited to see him play, and for him to get ANOTHER chance...and then when he gets benched again, it's kind of like "well I guess I'm not surprised." More often than not you see him playing hard both ways. But when he slips up, you cringe knowing he could be up in the press box next game
I think Zherdev gets kind of a raw deal here. Guys like Nodl, Carcillo, and Versteeg have done some real dumb stuff that have hurt the team, but they don't get anywhere near the same amount of criticism. It's about time they unleashed Zherdev. That was a beautiful play from the 'Steeg-Richards-Zherdev line on the GWG.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoods View Post
I think Zherdev gets kind of a raw deal here. Guys like Nodl, Carcillo, and Versteeg have done some real dumb stuff that have hurt the team, but they don't get anywhere near the same amount of criticism. It's about time they unleashed Zherdev. That was a beautiful play from the 'Steeg-Richards-Zherdev line on the GWG.
Very true.... and yes Richie had amazing patience to wait for miller to commit and thread Z a tap in, this was all set up by some slick forecheck on the boards by versteeg

Old
04-18-2011, 11:53 PM
skoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Post-game quotes concerning the 3-on-5:

http://www.csnphilly.com/04/18/11/Bi...572&feedID=695
I had kept positive all game, but I really thought we were in trouble once that 5-on-3 occurred. Truly some spectacular defensive hockey by our boys. If they can win this series and get Pronger back for the second round, I will be very confident no matter who we play.

If Boucher continues to play spectacular in net, they'll have to stick with him. I wonder, though, if they'd even consider Bobrovsky if they face the Penguins. Bob has been very strong against Pittsburgh this season. 3-1-1, 2.17, .926.

Boucher played decent against them too.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:55 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I think at this point, theyre not going to bench zherdev again. The chemistry displayed on that line tonight is not something you give up in the playoffs. Keep Nodl on the bench for a few games, and see where the chemistry goes.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
I had kept positive all game, but I really thought we were in trouble once that 5-on-3 occurred. Truly some spectacular defensive hockey by our boys. If they can win this series and get Pronger back for the second round, I will be very confident no matter who we play.

If Boucher continues to play spectacular in net, they'll have to stick with him. I wonder, though, if they'd even consider Bobrovsky if they face the Penguins. Bob has been very strong against Pittsburgh this season. 3-1-1, 2.17, .926.

Boucher played decent against them too.
Boucher as many of the players, and lavy have said calms the team down, and noone seems to get too frantic in the defensive zone. His effect on the PK is what has pleasantly surprised me the most. The defense is having a much easier time with him stopping dump ins and handling the puck.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Chainsaw

Nice win

Old
04-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I think at this point, theyre not going to bench zherdev again. The chemistry displayed on that line tonight is not something you give up in the playoffs. Keep Nodl on the bench for a few games, and see where the chemistry goes.
Its sort of odd to think about. Zherdev and Richards are total opposites but seem to find each other very well on the ice.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:00 AM
skoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Very true.... and yes Richie had amazing patience to wait for miller to commit and thread Z a tap in, this was all set up by some slick forecheck on the boards by versteeg
I really like the potential of that line when Zherdev is with Versteeg and Richards.

Versteeg and Richards are great two-way forwards who can pick up the slack for what Zherdev lacks on the defensive game. It's at least so much better than what Nodl brings to the table...which has been very little offensively.

IMO, people talk about this team's struggles coinciding with their acquisition of Versteeg, but I think it has more to do with their insistence to scratch Zherdev when they made the trade. They could have scratched Nodl or Carbomb. Sure, Zherdev isn't a "Lavi" player...but he had 16 goals in just about a half a season.

Remember the impact that Gagne's scoring ability brought to the team when he came back against Boston last season. I think that Zherdev can be that type of performer as long as they stick with him. That Richards-Gagne-Carter line was disgusting vs. Montreal and Boston last year.

Ugh, I wish game four started at midnight. I just want more hockey and Coyotes-Red Wings is not doing a good enough job of tiding me over.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
I really like the potential of that line when Zherdev is with Versteeg and Richards.

Versteeg and Richards are great two-way forwards who can pick up the slack for what Zherdev lacks on the defensive game. It's at least so much better than what Nodl brings to the table...which has been very little offensively.

IMO, people talk about this team's struggles coinciding with their acquisition of Versteeg, but I think it has more to do with their insistence to scratch Zherdev when they made the trade. They could have scratched Nodl or Carbomb. Sure, Zherdev isn't a "Lavi" player...but he had 16 goals in just about a half a season.

Remember the impact that Gagne's scoring ability brought to the team when he came back against Boston last season. I think that Zherdev can be that type of performer as long as they stick with him. That Richards-Gagne-Carter line was disgusting vs. Montreal and Boston last year.

Ugh, I wish game four started at midnight. I just want more hockey and Coyotes-Red Wings is not doing a good enough job of tiding me over.
I totally agree with your opinion on this trio, zherdev IMO gives us 3 dangerous lines. Nodl is great defensively but like I said in an earlier post when we needed to lock up the lead powe took zherdev's spot on that line, and it worked out perfectly.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1553
1,000 posts. A new thread (Part 2) has been opened -- http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=905287

Closed Thread