HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie an Oiler until 31?

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 10:46 AM
inmate

vCash:
Comrie an Oiler until 31?

Did anyone hear K-Lowe on Ched last night? His main comment was that they "hold his rights until age 31" period. Obviously they could trade him, but the tone of this comment was that he is an Oiler long term and that Winter and Comrie better get their heads around that. To me this conveys that trade offers are not anywhere near appealing enough, and most importantly money is not the main issue in this dispute. Money may have been a concern at one point, but the recent Havlat signing has pretty much set the bar for the remaining unsigned young free agents. Rumours are out that Gaborik is near signing. I think Comrie will aswell once he realizes that there is no where else to play but in Edmonton. K-Low's comments pretty much spelled this for everyone.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:51 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate
Did anyone hear K-Lowe on Ched last night? His main comment was that they "hold his rights until age 31" period. Obviously they could trade him, but the tone of this comment was that he is an Oiler long term and that Winter and Comrie better get their heads around that. To me this conveys that trade offers are not anywhere near appealing enough, and most importantly money is not the main issue in this dispute. Money may have been a concern at one point, but the recent Havlat signing has pretty much set the bar for the remaining unsigned young free agents. Rumours are out that Gaborik is near signing. I think Comrie will aswell once he realizes that there is no where else to play but in Edmonton. K-Low's comments pretty much spelled this for everyone.

Really? that is good news. I have been hoping that Lowe will put his foot down and say , listen kid, we have your rights, that was spelled out long ago - you have 2 choices: play for edmonton or don't play - It worked in Boston with Bonyton....

Old
10-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Really? that is good news. I have been hoping that Lowe will put his foot down and say , listen kid, we have your rights, that was spelled out long ago - you have 2 choices: play for edmonton or don't play - It worked in Boston with Bonyton....
I don't see how this is good news. I mean, that means that Lowe isn't close to trading him and Comrie still doesn't want to play in Edmonton. Even if he signs, how can the Oilers be sure he'll give his 100%? As far as I'm concern, I'd rather this be a question of $$ instead of MC not wanting to play in Edmonton (although as this been publicly stated?)...

If Comrie doesn't want to play in Edmonton, then trade him. Don't force him to play in Edmonton.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:46 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I don't see how this is good news. I mean, that means that Lowe isn't close to trading him and Comrie still doesn't want to play in Edmonton. Even if he signs, how can the Oilers be sure he'll give his 100%? As far as I'm concern, I'd rather this be a question of $$ instead of MC not wanting to play in Edmonton (although as this been publicly stated?)...

If Comrie doesn't want to play in Edmonton, then trade him. Don't force him to play in Edmonton.

Say what you will about Comrie, the kid has heart - he won't go out there and tank it. That just isn't in his nature. I think Comrie is mostly dis-illusioned right now and seems to think the grass will be greener. Hopefully he will realize that it isn't always and will play here. Honestly before this summer there had been no mention of this not wanting to play here. He always seemed happy on the ice...

I hope they can work it out and he'll play here. We really could use him.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:47 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Say what you will about Comrie, the kid has heart - he won't go out there and tank it. That just isn't in his nature. I think Comrie is mostly dis-illusioned right now and seems to think the grass will be greener. Hopefully he will realize that it isn't always and will play here. Honestly before this summer there had been no mention of this not wanting to play here. He always seemed happy on the ice...

I hope they can work it out and he'll play here. We really could use him.
U know I really can't recall him smiling all that much when he was on the 4th line.

Old
10-14-2003, 12:48 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Even if he signs, how can the Oilers be sure he'll give his 100%?
Three words: one year deal.

?

Old
10-14-2003, 01:02 PM
mrush

imo, if comrie does sign with the oilers and does it because he wont get traded cause klo wont and comrie maybe wont give it his all at first, but after a couple of games im sure the fans will support him again and he will love edmonton again and he'll put everything behind him i hope and play with heart as usual, thats what i hope cause i believe we need comrie on the oilers, our centre position really licks ass imo.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:02 PM
IceDragoon

All KLo is saying is that Comrie's rights belong to the Oilers until he decides otherwise.
- or MC turns 31, which ever comes first

Same is true of every other Oiler under 31. After that, he only has rights till the end of their contracts. It's possible he may decide to trade or give up the rights to any of them, but he has them now.

KLo's just saying it again, "I hold all the cards, Mikey."

Sry, nothing more than that.

Old
10-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Watts02

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
All KLo is saying is that Comrie's rights belong to the Oilers until he decides otherwise.

Same is true of every other Oiler under 31. After that, he only has rights till the end of their contracts. It's possible he may decide to trade or give up the rights to any of them, but he has them now.

Bingo You hit the nail on the head. And to add to that this is about money and nothing else. Comrie had no problem being the center of attention and getting critisism while he was taking almost $4 Mill a year from the oilers. Now that the oil won't pay him anywhere near that ball park, he has a problem with playing in a fish bowl he calls home. Thats a slap in the face to all Oil fans, and Klo needs to dump this cancerous defensive liability.

Old
10-14-2003, 02:14 PM
oildrop

Quote:

I have to agree with you IceDragoon. I think Lowe is just showing that he is the one in control of this situation and he decides how it is eventually going to end. He's just saying if you don't like it here and we can't find a good offer, then you'll sit until you are 31. Imagine that!

Old
10-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Big T

Fuhr??

I am too young to remember this when it happened, but before they raised Fuhr's jersey at Skyreach there was an article in the Sun about Fuhr calling the fans a bunch of jerks when he was 23.

Now I know times have changed, but it seems to me that young kids having growing pains while playing for their hometown team and while having great expectations put on their shoulders (whoa, long sentence!) is nothing new.

Does this line of thinking apply to Mike and if not why? Maybe somebody who remembers the Fuhr situation has a better insight on this.

Old
10-14-2003, 03:20 PM
inmate

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I have to agree with you IceDragoon. I think Lowe is just showing that he is the one in control of this situation and he decides how it is eventually going to end. He's just saying if you don't like it here and we can't find a good offer, then you'll sit until you are 31. Imagine that!
I think everyone is missing the significance of Klo's comment. Obviously we all know that age 31 is the magic UFA number. What he's stating is the new economic reality facing all players in Comrie's age group. No more holding teams hostage. The fact is Havlat signed for 1.6 mil, Gaborik has a new agent, all the leverage comrie has left is length of term. Requesting a trade no longer has any benefit to Comrie. The market is set, he'll play in Edmonton because he won't get anymore anywhere else.

P.S. K-Lo just stated on Team 1260, the recent havlat signing is of major significance in this negotiation.

Old
10-14-2003, 04:15 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate
I think everyone is missing the significance of Klo's comment. Obviously we all know that age 31 is the magic UFA number. What he's stating is the new economic reality facing all players in Comrie's age group. No more holding teams hostage. The fact is Havlat signed for 1.6 mil, Gaborik has a new agent, all the leverage comrie has left is length of term. Requesting a trade no longer has any benefit to Comrie. The market is set, he'll play in Edmonton because he won't get anymore anywhere else.

P.S. K-Lo just stated on Team 1260, the recent havlat signing is of major significance in this negotiation.
Until the new CBA is in place, the 'new economic reality' is still just talk to the players.

KLo's heart (the Oilers) and his future here, depend on the 'new economic reality', so of course he's doing everything in his power to sell it. Kudos to him for fighting this hard and uncertain battle for us.

Havlat signed a 1 year deal worth $1.6 mil + bonuses, that was stated to be the highest ever 1 year contract for a player coming off his rookie contract. (looks like a decent ransome to me)

Gaborik apparently turned down $9 mill + and wants $19 mil + over 3 years, and is now ready to bring that down somewhat. (not new agent, just the other partner)

And, of course, we don't know what Comrie wants.

btw - sry, I forgot to welcome you in my last post. I hope it's better late than never. Welcome inmate.

edit - Welcome to you too Watts02.

Old
10-14-2003, 04:57 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Yep, it's just Lowe telling Comrie that he isn't going to be succesful using the tactics that have been successful for kids in their early 20's in the past. The new CBA will be delt with next year, but the results are already being felt. Phil Esposito said it right when he talked about how it isn't even really a Union. Unions are supposed to try to improve situation by getting benefits and special things like that and creating more jobs - not make sure that the top 30% players of the league can keep their salaries insanely high. I think that the majority of players in the league that don't make multiple millions/year aren't being considered and perhaps that will be something that the NHL can use against the power that be in the PA.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:15 PM
inmate

vCash:
Quote:
Until the new CBA is in place, the 'new economic reality' is still just talk to the players.

KLo's heart (the Oilers) and his future here, depend on the 'new economic reality', so of course he's doing everything in his power to sell it. Kudos to him for fighting this hard and uncertain battle for us.

Havlat signed a 1 year deal worth $1.6 mil + bonuses, that was stated to be the highest ever 1 year contract for a player coming off his rookie contract. (looks like a decent ransome to me)

Gaborik apparently turned down $9 mill + and wants $19 mil + over 3 years, and is now ready to bring that down somewhat. (not new agent, just the other partner)

And, of course, we don't know what Comrie wants.

btw - sry, I forgot to welcome you in my last post. I hope it's better late than never. Welcome inmate.
Thanks Ice Dragoon,

The top players are still going to get the big bucks and thus I don't think 1.6 mil is out of sight. I think what you'll stop seeing is the likes of Jarome Iginla getting 5.5 mil and 7.5 mil. Comrie certainly falls into the top end category even in his short time in the League.

You heard it hear 1st, 4 yr deal:

Yr 1 1.6 Mil
Yr 2 2.4 Mil
Yr 3 2.9 Mil
Yr 4 3.5 Mil

Also some bonus clauses to be included.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:56 PM
mrhockey123

I think KLO was trying to show that the organization was going to play hardball and not give in.

Ive been saying this for a long time but everyone has been ignoring me - then HF conveniently locked me out or something GRRRR

Lowe said Comrie has zero leverage except if hte oilers start having goal problems 0 which is quite evident by the Vancouver game ;(

If the oilers continue to lose games becase they cant score goals, Comrie will gain all the leverage and the oilers will be forced to either deal Comrie for some help 'now' or sign Comrie to whatever deal he wants.

Personaly im starting to WISH for a trade with the NYR because theres no place better suited for a twenty-something kid playing hockey in the city he grew up in, getting paid millions of dollars, who wants more money.

Im lovin the Lundy and a 1st deal right about now!

Closed Thread