HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov to the Flyers

Old
04-18-2011, 11:43 PM
2Claude2Giroux

vCash: 500
Bryzgalov to the Flyers

He's making $4.25 mil this year in the final year of his current deal.

With it looking like Phoenix will drop their series to the Red Wings again, would it be out of the question to say that Bryzgalov could leave? I'm not sure how much he actually likes Phoenix but the Flyers could be a great fit. I'm not sure how much the Flyers would have in terms of cap space but if they lose Boucher, Zherdev, and maybe end up dealing a guy like Versteeg or even end up dropping Leino, then they should have the room for him.

He's only 30 still so he may be looking for his last big contract but it'd be great to have him start in front of Bobrovsky for a year and allow Bob to become more comfortable here.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
This would be ideal, and one of the reasons I want Versteeg gone, but it's the flyers. Come on now. Id love it, and you gotta figure, he'd be such a great mentor to Bob, being Russian and all, but hey, who needs goalies?

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:55 PM
decadentia

Call me cynical, but I sincerely doubt we'll be spending 4+ mil on a goalie. Would I love to trade say...Versteeg + for a 4mil goalie? Absolutely. But i've been a Flyer fan too long to be hoping for things like that.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Slowbro

this team needs a goalie bad enough that i would trade JVR just to get even one year in the playoffs with a solid A+ goaltender..

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Jray42

vCash: 91
One hope is, that Bryzgalov doesn't want to move on to Winnipeg, and decides to walk if that becomes the case. He would probabley still want to go to a contender, and what other contender would need/want him? Us, Tampa, maybe San Jose, Detroit. Dont think theres really anyone else if he wants to win.

But like mentioned above, it is most certainly, and unfortunately not happening. I hope im wrong

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
He hasnt looked very good in this series but I would definitely give it some attention.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
this team needs a goalie bad enough that i would trade JVR just to get even one year in the playoffs with a solid A+ goaltender..
Assuming you're serious, that's a bad idea.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:14 AM
MiD

watching him in first 2 games I think he is injured or worn down after fight to get to playoffs, I didn't watch Game 3, but he was awful in the first two

I don't think he will play for Flyers, he probably will be seeking big paycheck around 5M

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:33 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
Have you seen JVR?

I STILL would not give him up for Price.

Barring injury (god I hope none get severely hurt), Giroux, vanRiemsdyk, Richards, and Carter are going to be our top four in scoring for a LONG time.

You can take that to the bank. I promise you that Giroux and JVR will as well.

That said, giving up JVR for a goalie? Not a chance.

Giving up the ever overrated Versteeg? You betcha.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:38 AM
dookie88

Bryzgalov looks like absolute garbage in this first round series and has looked way below his standards one year ago against detroit.
Yeah, do not want.

I'd rather get Backstrom if he becomes available.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:50 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

This series against the Wings is not indicative of his abilities. Behind our D, he'd be smokin'.

But:

Bryz would be great, but let's be honest; he's probably a top 5 goalie and is going to fetch a lot if he bails on phx. Hell, if the Rangers needed a starter they'd be first in line to throw 7M at him. As I'm sure everyone has noticed, we won't be employing any goalies at such a price.

Oh, and jvr goes nowhere. Ever.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:15 AM
dats81

Flyers are set on almost all positions for next season including goaltending (Bob and Leighton). But if the Flyers don't win the cup this year due to obvious weak goaltending Homer may finally be forced to address it.

Brzygalow at around 4M per sounds reasonable but at the age of 30 he will probably look for a long term contract (4/5 years?), which is a no go in Flyers land.
Maybe there are other options via trade.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:56 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Flyers are cap-strapped as is. We'd have to dump Zherdev, Versteeg, and probably Carle to get Bryz and still ice a full team. Zherdev is not resigning, I'd be fine with dealing Versteeg, and if one of our prospect defensemen is ready to make the jump, I'd be all over dealing Carle too.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Mgkibbles

I can't believe some people would still be interested in trading JVR, other than Giroux, JVR has been the Flyers best forward for the past few weeks, and he's finally playing with a snarl. I think it's obvious at this point that JVR has taken the next step, and why you would trade a PWF with PPG potential is beyond me.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Love to have him, There is no chance we are giving up anything of core value.

Cross JVR, Giroux, Carter, Richards, Mezaros and Coburn off the list.

JVR has been playing like the player we all wanted him to be. What a time to hit form

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:25 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Bob is in his rookie year. Everyone has their rough patches. Bryzgalov is an obvious starter, especially at that price, and I still think Bob has a good amount of potential left. Why would anyone consider another goalie at this point and throw away a young, budding goalie? Cause if we got Bryz, Bob would be the obvious backup.

If the Coyotes organization was smart, they'd keep Bryzgalov and move to Winnipeg. He's been a huge part of the Coyotes success this year. I can't seem him not being re-signed.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:18 AM
PhillyCurt12

so what about nabokov...? *tweet tweet*

wouldn't mind nabby for a year or two to split time w/ bob if the islanders would let him go for fairly cheap.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Bob is in his rookie year. Everyone has their rough patches. Bryzgalov is an obvious starter, especially at that price, and I still think Bob has a good amount of potential left. Why would anyone consider another goalie at this point and throw away a young, budding goalie? Cause if we got Bryz, Bob would be the obvious backup.
I don't see why sharing time with a proven starter and taking pressure off a very young unproven prospect that still needs to adapt to a new environment means throwing away Bob.
We are talking about bringing in a quality goaltender to buy Bob the time to grow into the starter role and take over the reigns when he is ready.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
so what about nabokov...? *tweet tweet*

wouldn't mind nabby for a year or two to split time w/ bob if the islanders would let him go for fairly cheap.
Seriously?
The same Nabokov that made Robert Esche look like B.Parent in his short KHL stint earlier this year, the same Nabokov that would refuse to play for the Islanders, the same Nabokov that more than once proved that the only thing he cares about is the $$$ ?

Old
04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Seriously?
The same Nabokov that made Robert Esche look like B.Parent in his short KHL stint earlier this year, the same Nabokov that would refuse to play for the Islanders, the same Nabokov that more than once proved that the only thing he cares about is the $$$ ?
if all he cared about was the money, why did he sign such a cheap contract w/ the wings? if this thread was made a year ago before he left for the khl, people would disagree with me because he wouldn't sign cheap enough for the flyers. plus, it's a requirement that homer takes a shot on a headcase from the khl once a year

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Jester

Quote:
Seriously?
His lack of interest in playing for the Islanders was perfectly understandable... and if all he cared about was the money, then he would have showed up on Long Island and collected his pay this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
if all he cared about was the money, why did he sign such a cheap contract w/ the wings? if this thread was made a year ago before he left for the khl, people would disagree with me because he wouldn't sign cheap enough for the flyers. plus, it's a requirement that homer takes a shot on a headcase from the khl once a year
...cuz no one else was offering him a contract?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:45 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
no thanks

after seeing the way he's played in the playoffs, i dont want him

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:46 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I don't see why sharing time with a proven starter and taking pressure off a very young unproven prospect that still needs to adapt to a new environment means throwing away Bob.
We are talking about bringing in a quality goaltender to buy Bob the time to grow into the starter role and take over the reigns when he is ready.
Well, for $4 million+ per year and for what Bryzgalov brings, he'll start 65 games minimum per year, barring injury. Which leaves Bob 17 games to play, minimum. I'd rather the Bob/Boosh tandem where each is getting approximately 40 games. More games means more experience for Bob means he grows/develops faster. Boosh has done a solid job of filling in for Bob when needed.

Also, Bryzgalov is not a goalie you sign for a year to let Bob get more comfortable. He's a goalie you sign for 5 or 6 years. And I wouldn't be surprised if Bryzgalov looks for a long term deal (3-4 years minimum).

Edit: I added in the 2nd paragraph and then realized Dookie said everything and beat me to it.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 04-19-2011 at 10:08 AM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:54 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
This series against the Wings is not indicative of his abilities. Behind our D, he'd be smokin'.

But:

Bryz would be great, but let's be honest; he's probably a top 5 goalie and is going to fetch a lot if he bails on phx. Hell, if the Rangers needed a starter they'd be first in line to throw 7M at him. As I'm sure everyone has noticed, we won't be employing any goalies at such a price.

Oh, and jvr goes nowhere. Ever.
The thing is, he was "smokin'" during the regular season behind that D, which isn't really that bad. The Wings are just playing phenomenal.
And the Rangers kinda have a starting goaltender, don't know what the point of yours is here.

Quote:
Bryzgalov won't sign for a short-term contract.
You're looking at a 5-8 year contract, if you want to keep the caphit half-reasonable. So if you sign Bryz, Bob won't be anything more than a back-up for those years, at least on this team.

Edit: For the record, I don't mind where we are contract wise regarding goalies.
Next year we probably go with Leighton/Bob, after that year Leighton's contract runs out and Bob has one more at $0.9mil.
By that time we probably know if Leighton can play a starting or back-up role and we probably have a pretty good knowledge what Bob is all about.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Cartsiephan*

I would trade Jeff Carter for the rights to Bryzgalov and their #1 pick this year and next. Done and done.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote