HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Old
04-19-2011, 06:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Quote:
Gilroy is on the final year of the two-year contract he signed as an undrafted free agent out of Boston University two years ago. He'll become a restricted free agent on July 1, owed a pricey $2.1 million qualifier for the Rangers to retain his rights.

It's expected general manager Glen Sather will offer Gilroy a multi-year deal at an average wage well below that number. If Gilroy declines, he would become unrestricted.

"To be honest, that's the furthest thing from my mind right now," Gilroy said. "This is my first playoffs, and to be a part of it in New York, just to have this experience of playing these games at the Garden, that's what I care about."
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1JxtpDx3m

This is a scenario we have discussed here. The QO would be a 2 way if the Rangers gave Gilroy a QO by June 27(QO's are due by June 25 or the Monday after the draft,whichever is later). $2.1M NHL but peanuts in AHL money. 2 years for Gilroy? $1.25M per? 1 way.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:16 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1JxtpDx3m

This is a scenario we have discussed here. The QO would be a 2 way if the Rangers gave Gilroy a QO by June 27(QO's are due by June 25 or the Monday after the draft,whichever is later). $2.1M NHL but peanuts in AHL money. 2 years for Gilroy? $1.25M per? 1 way.
not really happy about this...

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:24 AM
UAGoalieGuy

1.25 for Gilroy might be cheaper then any 5-6 vet d-man options that would be on the market this summer.
I just don't see another rookie d-man making the team next fall then, unless Gilroy plays terrible and that rook d-man plays lights out.

Do V-tank and Gilroy play the same side?

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Valentenko is a lefty shot. Can he play the right side too?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:53 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
i hope so i'd much rather have him playing D for the Rangers.

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I don't want him back for the minimum. Experiment failed, time to move on.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
People need to remember one thing when it comes to V-Tank.

No matter how many very good plays a D makes, he is never better then the "gap-controll" (I love that word, just learned it recently) he exhibits.

There is a big difference in the game today in this regard compared to say 15-20 years ago. D's used to give forward time and forward used to give D's time. You saw much more clean 1 on 1 battles. Today D's stay at a certain distance from a forward, really only pressures the forward when he shoots the puck. We have seen it hundreds of times with players like JJ or Gabby going up against a D who just skates into their own net almost, but then when they snip the puck, the D's step up and trys to block it. Before the D's stepped up on the forwads much earlier, and could either take him down or get beaten clean 1 on 1. How do you beat a D 1 on 1 that's always 6-9 feets away from you?

In this regard, V-Tank is still unpolished. He is a mobile skater and he is a good hitter and he is a good shot-blocker. But he is a much more tenacious D then Torts likes, or most (all?) other coaches in this league likes nowadays. Sure, nobody minds a hit. But a D must be really good at keeping that distance from the forward, and thightening the space. The D should at all times be so far from the forward that the forward can't accelerate and skate around him, but he should always be so close that he can go down and block a shot effectively.

Forwards in the game today, like the Sedins, like Bäckstörm, like Towes, they are fantastic at taking advantage of ice if they get it. They aren't magic stickhandlers like JJ, Kovalev and co, but give them a bit of open ice, and they will take advantage of it extremely well.

Last edited by Ola: 04-19-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:21 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Does anybody else see the Rangers (presumabely lowball) offer as polite way of saying "there is the door, buddy" and that Gilroy tries his luck at UFA instead?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Does anybody else see the Rangers (presumabely lowball) offer as polite way of saying "there is the door, buddy" and that Gilroy tries his luck at UFA instead?
I hope so but I doubt it. The guy will sign cause no one is going to pay him the ridiculous qualifying offer

in the end I figured it was Eminger or Gilroy as the 7th Dman next yr

I have a feeling they are going to train Gilroy as their 13th F/ 7th D and only spare

he better be under a million a year or I will be pissed

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:37 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Do not want, unless it's for $500K.

04-19-2011, 08:52 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I don't think so. If they didn't want him back, they wouldn't offer him a contract at all. I think Gilroy gets a bad rap on here and it's not entirely deserved. Yeah, he hasn't played up to near the level we hoped for when we signed him, but he's still become a serviceable NHL dman. He's a 6th/7th dman and will be paid accordingly. And he still has some offensive ability. It doesn't hurt us at all to re-sign him for cheap.

If better options become available, he can earn his NHL salary in Hartford or be traded. It's a no-lose proposition for the Rangers.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I don't think so. If they didn't want him back, they wouldn't offer him a contract at all. I think Gilroy gets a bad rap on here and it's not entirely deserved. Yeah, he hasn't played up to near the level we hoped for when we signed him, but he's still become a serviceable NHL dman. He's a 6th/7th dman and will be paid accordingly. And he still has some offensive ability. It doesn't hurt us at all to re-sign him for cheap.

If better options become available, he can earn his NHL salary in Hartford or be traded. It's a no-lose proposition for the Rangers.
A very logical unbiased post I think, and I agree. Waaay better than wasting $$ and cap space on some bogus "enforcer".

Also: Excellent post by Ola

04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I want you guys to look at Washington defense core, and notice that they aren't overstocked with undersized, nonphysical defensemen.

I think I'm a fair critic. Gilroy's strength is embarrassing. 90% of AHL defensemen are stronger in the corners than he is. He was brought in to be an offensive defenseman and he has what? 15 points over 2 years? I'm not buying it.

Why, if he isn't scoring or strong, is he still around? Because his positioning is so damn good? McDonagh has already become 3x the defenseman Gilroy is. His skating is overrated, he can pivot nicely but doesn't have any straightaway speed.

There are many better options out there. One of them; Steve Eminger is an impending UFA.

04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Uh, one question... why?

That is all.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Eh, I don't see the point in bringing him back. I don't think he has a future in the NHL, and while it may be slightly more expensive to bring in a bottom-six guy from free agency, it would probably be worth it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:20 AM
BBKers

my bad --- double post

Last edited by BBKers: 04-19-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Double post - I am in Uruguay with sloowwww wifi
Old
04-19-2011, 09:24 AM
azrok22

I don't mind Gilroy as the 7th d-man so long as he is paid accordingly.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Punxrocknyc19*

I much rather have Jason Strudwick over Matt Gilroy. In NHL11 I somehow got Sheldon Brookbank for Gilroy

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

You make a good point here.

1 Staal - Girardi
2 McD - Sauer
3A The Warrior Valetenko - A reasonable righthanded UFA with a booming shot (Babchuk? or, Wisznewski/probably too expensive tho)
3B MDZ - Bruiser/creaseclearing Righthanded D either via trade or UFA (Is this Big Macs future spot?)

7th D/ 14 FW Gilroy (for cheap)

Is not a totally bad D... And quite reasonable in cost.
Always possible to add some experience at the deadline too. I do also believe that Sather may move one or two of our defensive prospects on the D this offseason - we have too many guys there right now and desperately need scoring. Our D prospects with upsides that seem to be possible future NHLers now include - MDZ, McIlraith, Valetenko, Kundratek, Pashnin (?) and Parlett (?). Other very very dark horses in the NYR:s system include: Niemi, Maggio, Bickel, Nightengale (never), Baldwin, Klassen, Dowzak...
Could this however (hopefully) also mean Sather showing a bit more attention to getting something going up front to get a real 1st line and providing some consistent scoring?
Me like!

Last edited by BBKers: 04-19-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old
04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Uh, one question... why?

That is all.
Depth? We didn't have injuries to Ds as of yet. Will do.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
There are many better options out there. One of them; Steve Eminger is an impending UFA.
Gilroy's got one more goal in the playoffs than Gabby does. And if Eminger was a better option, he'd already be playing ahead of Gilroy, but he isn't.

Like I said, if we find a better option, Gilroy can be sent down or traded. Where's the downside? You worried about the 50 contract limit?

Last edited by GAGLine: 04-19-2011 at 09:33 AM.
GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think Gilroy's come a long way since we signed him. May as well not give up now. I think the hope is he's a solid 6th defenseman that can contribute on the powerplay. He's been really good in this playoff series.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Gilroy gets way too much negative attention around here for a 6th D with a +5 rating and a 2nd year pro. I don't care how old he is. He's obviously still learning and obviously not as far along physically as most guys his age are. This is pretty well documented. He's been decent in his first playoffs as well.

If he gets a fair (Eminger-type numbers) contract for a few years I have no problem with it. He knows the system, has improved defensively, and still has an upside. No reason to throw away two years of work and gift him to some other team so they can take advantage of it. Gilroy is the least of our team's problems.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I skate faster than Jason Strudwick at this point I think. He doesn't fit our system at ALL while Gilroy has all the raw tools to be pretty darn good under Torts

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I don't see why everyone is up in arms about this. If they sign him to 2 million a year, then I'd be up in arms as well, but I don't think that is going to happen. Bottom line is that if they can get him signed for ~1 million he is a fine 6th/7th Dman. If one of our guys from Hartford deserves to be called up, then they will make room for him just like they did for McD.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote