HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Old
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I want you guys to look at Washington defense core, and notice that they aren't overstocked with undersized, nonphysical defensemen.

I think I'm a fair critic. Gilroy's strength is embarrassing. 90% of AHL defensemen are stronger in the corners than he is. He was brought in to be an offensive defenseman and he has what? 15 points over 2 years? I'm not buying it.

Why, if he isn't scoring or strong, is he still around? Because his positioning is so damn good? McDonagh has already become 3x the defenseman Gilroy is. His skating is overrated, he can pivot nicely but doesn't have any straightaway speed.

There are many better options out there. One of them; Steve Eminger is an impending UFA.
Why should Washington's defensive core be the model for success all of a sudden?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Not particularly.

I'm just thinking how much better off Lundqvist would be with someone like a Valentenko or Erskine as his 6th defenseman.

If Gilly isn't going to play physical, score or be a noticeable positional defenseman at age 27, I see no reason why not to move on to a new project. Certainly losing him isn't going to cripple this club.

04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Depth? We didn't have injuries to Ds as of yet. Will do.
Depth, really? He ain't NHL quality and he's soft as cotton.

Waste of money, IMO.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Not particularly.

I'm just thinking how much better off Lundqvist would be with someone like a Valentenko or Erskine as his 6th defenseman.

If Gilly isn't going to play physical, score or be a noticeable positional defenseman at age 27, I see no reason why not to move on to a new project. Certainly losing him isn't going to cripple this club.
I would say even if Gilroy is back next yr Valentenko would win the 6th spot and team up with Del Zotto. Top 4 obviously set.

As I mentioned Gilroy would be the 1 spare on both F and D. I don't like it either but for say 900K a yr for 2 yrs he is a dummy if he does'nt take it to stay in the league.

If he thinks he's worth more see ya and offer that to Eminger

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Orr Nightmare

I am torn on Gilroy, some games I see him as an asset and some games i want to bury him under the ice.

In this playoffs, you see him join the rush and you get excited and then on the next shift, he bounces off a Cap's player and they score.

I would be more in favor of bringing in a Jim Vandermeer type or Gilroy but I wouldn't be totally against Gilroy either...I usually have stance on players but Gilroy confuses me

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
XLJ

Why on earth would Sather offer a multi year deal to a player that has been a healthy scratch for a lot of the regular season?

Valentenko would be a better option on the bottom pair next year. He is a shot blocking machine and will add toughness on the blueline. Or get a real offensive defensemen that could help the powerplay, Gilroy is awful.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I like the way he has been playing in the playoffs. Jumping up in the play and trying to create offense. The guy is still young and has time to improve. I'd give him one more year.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I will be happy with this only if the deal is sub-million.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Leetch3

not a big fan of gilroy but to his credit he's stepped up and played well in the playoffs so far...

this type of deal is the only way i'd take him back, gotta lower that cap hit and if the kids can't beat him out for a spot in camp then they don't deserve to make it...i'd keep him over mccabe at the moment

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Why on earth would Sather offer a multi year deal to a player that has been a healthy scratch for a lot of the regular season?

Valentenko would be a better option on the bottom pair next year. He is a shot blocking machine and will add toughness on the blueline. Or get a real offensive defensemen that could help the powerplay, Gilroy is awful.
And if Valentenko comes to camp next year and proves that, then Gilroy will either be in Hartford or traded. What's the problem? Just because we are looking to re-sign Gilroy doesn't mean he's guaranteed a spot on the team. It doesn't mean we won't still be looking for better options. Gilroy is an asset. You can argue his value, but regardless, he is an asset. He knows the system and Torts has enough trust in him to play him in the playoffs over Eminger.

What's the point of just throwing that away for nothing? If we can re-sign him for cheap, he provides additional depth, even if he ends up playing in Hartford. And if we don't need him, we can much more easily trade him because he'll be making less money.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:16 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Depth, really? He ain't NHL quality and he's soft as cotton.

Waste of money, IMO.
He's borderline at this point. 27 is still young for a D to make the final call. Whoever will bypass him should be pretty good. The question is will there be anyone any time soon.
I'd keep the guy due to lack of other options, he still can be better. Only two years in NHL with real coaching not enough to discard a good skater.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:17 AM
OverTheCap

I'm hoping they are re-signing him for insurance in case Del Zotto needs to start the year in Connecticut or something, or they can't acquire an offensive defenseman.

The Rangers defense as constructed right now contains a glut of stay at home defenseman. If they ever want to be a contender, they need at least one legit offensive defenseman to smooth out their transition game. Matt Gilroy is not going to cut it.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I think a lot of you guys are forgetting how brutal some #6~#7 dmen around the league are. Complete liability's.

You guys whine about Gilroy's lack of strength, but from my recollection, it rarely leads to a GA.

Sign Gilroy (for the right $$$). If someone in our system offers more than him, then trade/waive Gilroy. We're not talking about a lot of money here.

Even if he doesn't improve much from his current play, he's still a decent depth-option. I think he will continue improving though.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post

Do V-tank and Gilroy play the same side?
Gilroy has played both sides and forward this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Uh, one question... why?

That is all.
Versatile depth player who does what Torts tells him to do at a level that the coach finds acceptable. How many reserve players can you say that about? How many would you have to go through just to find out?

Happy to see him back for 50-ish games next year on a Christensen-esque deal.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think Gilroy's come a long way since we signed him. May as well not give up now. I think the hope is he's a solid 6th defenseman that can contribute on the powerplay. He's been really good in this playoff series.
i agree with this. i think a lot of the negative posters are feeding off each others need to frenziedly attack at least one of our own players at all times.

gilroy has made good strides in the playoffs. if we don't sign him he'll get a good offer from other teams. good for him either way.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Gilroy is awful.
You haven't been watching hockey long enough to know what Awful is. Half of the posts here are complete and utter garbage.

If Matt was really that bad, he'd be on the ice for a GAA every other shift. That's hardly the case.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:22 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:

Gilroy has got in to the D in the playoffs ahead of Eminger and Del Zotto on merit. No way Torts picks him for any other reason than merit. If the coaching staff thought he stunk he would have been shown the door by now.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Depth? We didn't have injuries to Ds as of yet. Will do.
Gilroy adds as much depth as a puddle in Death Valley.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:26 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
If they ever want to be a contender, they need at least one legit offensive defenseman to smooth out their transition game. Matt Gilroy is not going to cut it.
Gilroy hasn't lost any of his offensive skills. The defensive part was not and still is not sufficient for this league. He may cut it, though. It will be terrible if he do it with other club. Also, you never have too many Ds.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Versatile depth player who does what Torts tells him to do at a level that the coach finds acceptable. How many reserve players can you say that about? How many would you have to go through just to find out?

Happy to see him back for 50-ish games next year on a Christensen-esque deal.
That's fine. His attitude is great. But wouldn't Eminger be a better option than Gilly?

He needs to pack on some pounds and muscle at least. He gets exposed during physical battles. It wouldn't be the end of the world if he gets retained for under a mill, but I don't care much for him.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:47 AM
xxxZENxxx

Yeah... I read this story off of a blog that re-posted it and the author was talking about signing Gilroy to a $1.1 per contract. I really don't get that at all, because in reality... he isn't worth a penny over (let's say) 600K. I mean what does the guy actually do??? He barely can play D and he rarely showcases any offensive ability. I won't ignore the fact that he has indeed come a long way, but he basically went from being an awful D-man to a barely tolerable one. Given that he was barely making it into a line-up that has wide open gaps at 5th/6th D, I find this story to be quite surprising unless he signing for near the minimum.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Rangers44*

unbelievable, what a joke.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers top 4 D are all over 6-1 and 200 pounds. If the Rangers can re-sign Gilroy @ a decent number,then what is the issue? He is a good teammate. Its hard to find defensemen in this league. The Rangers have invested two years in helping Gilroy make the adjustment to pro hockey.

Speaking of the Caps,John Erskine was waived out of Dallas. He's technically the Caps #7 D but has carved out a decent career. No mobility. Stay at home and keep it simple. Good teammate. Washington kept him @ a decent number.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
pwoz

Gilroy is a fast skater, but he's soft and has a very weak shot. He needs to be a forward, 3rd liner, period.. I'd say 4th for forechecking if he wasn't so soft!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Ail
k.

Okay with this as long as he isn't overpaid.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote