HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 4.0

Old
04-18-2011, 11:11 AM
La Grosse Tendresse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
De la montagne/René Levesque.(south side of rene-levesque)
Won't he get stuck in traffic trying to come out after the game? Anything south of René Lévesque gets pretty jammed with fans coming out of the building and cars coming out of parking lots.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Hi there, I know this should be in another thread, but I need an answer for tomorrow night - so please move this thread once answered.

Simple question really - what's the closest indoor parking that will allow me to leave without too much street traffic (coming from ottawa)?

Thanks!
are you driving a lamborigini? cuz if not well its not indoor but its the best parking place ever...rue Saint-Antoine. Its free, safe (unless you have laptop or/and Ipad 2 out on your back seat) and you hit the 720 west very quickly, you save lots of traffic circulation.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Sec311Row6

coming up from Boston for thursday-saturday.... have the option to stay for free at the W, Sheraton or Westin. Suggestions? I am 25 year old and coming up with the ladyfriend, so we don't mind a bit loud hotel if it's the 'place to be'.

Sec311Row6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:48 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec311Row6 View Post
coming up from Boston for thursday-saturday.... have the option to stay for free at the W, Sheraton or Westin. Suggestions? I am 25 year old and coming up with the ladyfriend, so we don't mind a bit loud hotel if it's the 'place to be'.
Go to the W.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Sec311Row6

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
Go to the W.
it is no longer available looks like Westin or Sheraton now haha, i know sheraton is closer to the rink, but i've heard the Westin is brand new...

Sec311Row6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:04 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Coming to Montreal this Saturday evening for the first time.

Taking the VIA RAIL in from Toronto, staying at a hotel near the Central Station and likely hitting up 737 on Sunday night. Coming back to Toronto on Monday afternoon. We'll likely arrive around midnight (Saturday/Sunday). Is there anything to do in order to salvage a Saturday night?

Also would like to have lunch on Monday afternoon, before our train back to Toronto. Maybe something to kill a hangover. Recommendations?

Coming with a girl. Might meet up with another couple there.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bozak View Post
Coming to Montreal this Saturday evening for the first time.

Taking the VIA RAIL in from Toronto, staying at a hotel near the Central Station and likely hitting up 737 on Sunday night. Coming back to Toronto on Monday afternoon. We'll likely arrive around midnight (Saturday/Sunday). Is there anything to do in order to salvage a Saturday night?

Also would like to have lunch on Monday afternoon, before our train back to Toronto. Maybe something to kill a hangover. Recommendations?

Coming with a girl. Might meet up with another couple there.
Salvage a Saturday night? Why not hit up 737 on Saturday instead of Sunday? Or if you're just looking for a nice night out, I'd suggest Sir Winston Churchill's (Winnies) because it has a great atmosphere and lots of places to sit. Stogies Cigar lounge is also great for the seating and cocktails, but I'd only suggest it if you don't mind other people smoking cigars.

For lunch: depends on what you're in the mood for, but there's tons of places to eat in the area. Personally, I'd probably head to Dagwoods to kill the hangover, but I love their subs. The two closest in the area are both on Ste. Catherine, one near Guy and the other near Jeanne-Mance.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Just packing for Montreal.

I'm pumped to see your city.

Going to a couple clubs, Radio and Music/Musiq (??).

I don't care about making plans when it comes to clubs... I wanna see the city!

:-)

Old
04-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Got back from MTL on Monday evening.

You guys have an amazing city!! Amazing people and environment!

I loved it and I actually understand why you guys are so proud of the city.

Stayed at a really grimey hotel/motel near the La Belle Province downtown... next to all these sex shops between St. Laurent and St. Claire or something like that. Had lunch on Monday at the Eggspectations across from the threatre where they're playing Lion King... with all the construction.

Walked downtown for 4 hours on Sunday afternoon. Loved it.

I actually fell in love with your city.

You have no idea how big of an internal conflict I'm going through right now. Is it possible to be a die-hard Leafs fan and a fan of the Montreal Canadiens? I'm not sure. lol. We were going to go to Tokyo (was recommended for Sunday night), but we ended up going to Radio Lounge both nights. I was with a girl I'm dating, but Montreal girls are the best I've EVER seen. Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Four1 Lead: 04-27-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old
04-28-2011, 09:46 PM
les Habs

Going to Montreal, need some help/advice FAST!!!

Hello fellow Habs supporters in Montreal. I just got a sweet flight deal for Montreal and I'll get in tomorrow night at midnight. I'll have 3 full days and I can't wait. I need help on really short notice though, SO FORUM MANAGERS if you could let this thread slide for a day and then merge I'd be most appreciative.

HOTEL

-I'm looking for a recommendation on a bargain 4 star hotel. I'd take a NICE 3 star if you know of one. $100USD for the 4 star or $75USD for the 3 star.

TRANSPORTATION

-How much is a cab from the airport to downtown?

THIS WEEKEND

-Anything cool going on?

BARS

-I'm not so much into clubs. I'm into bars that play "alternative" music (Wolf Parade, Fleet Foxes, BRMC, Arcade Fire, Band of Horses, etc). Also one with cute girls (mid to late 20s, early 30s).

CONCERTS

-Anything good, small venue, this weekend?

WHAT TO SEE?

-I'm going pretty blind with little time to plan. Any of the main cultural things I should check out?

SHOPPING

-I'm into art stores or not mall type clothing stores.

TRANSPORTATION

-Is the metro nice? Worth it for travel?

FOOD

-I need pizza recommendations. Don't like deep dish and want independent, not chains (unless they're local and amazing).
-Poutine. Can I get it w/o the gravy? Recommendations?

And anything else you can think of. Thanks in advance!!!

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Go Habs Go

If I were you, I'd find a bar and watch the UFC fight. I would assume that it will be one of the biggest things in people's minds Saturday night (GSP fighting). Should be a great atmosphere. If you don't like mma then it would probably be rowdy and fun at bars and pubs.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
Hello fellow Habs supporters in Montreal. I just got a sweet flight deal for Montreal and I'll get in tomorrow night at midnight. I'll have 3 full days and I can't wait. I need help on really short notice though, SO FORUM MANAGERS if you could let this thread slide for a day and then merge I'd be most appreciative.

HOTEL

-I'm looking for a recommendation on a bargain 4 star hotel. I'd take a NICE 3 star if you know of one. $100USD for the 4 star or $75USD for the 3 star.

TRANSPORTATION

-How much is a cab from the airport to downtown?

THIS WEEKEND

-Anything cool going on?

BARS

-I'm not so much into clubs. I'm into bars that play "alternative" music (Wolf Parade, Fleet Foxes, BRMC, Arcade Fire, Band of Horses, etc). Also one with cute girls (mid to late 20s, early 30s).

CONCERTS

-Anything good, small venue, this weekend?

WHAT TO SEE?

-I'm going pretty blind with little time to plan. Any of the main cultural things I should check out?

SHOPPING

-I'm into art stores or not mall type clothing stores.

TRANSPORTATION

-Is the metro nice? Worth it for travel?

FOOD

-I need pizza recommendations. Don't like deep dish and want independent, not chains (unless they're local and amazing).

And anything else you can think of. Thanks in advance!!!
If by some chance you find yourself on the West Island in Pierrefonds. Luna Pizza is a small little place on Gouin. It's been there for decades. Most of their business is delivery but their pizza is absolutely outstanding. I always make a point of going there.

If it's pizza you're looking for, there's none better on the planet.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:58 PM
OpenIceHit

taxi airport-downtown = $38+tip

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:02 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Look this thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=821943

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:02 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Quote:
FOOD

lol, wut?

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:03 PM
habfaninvictoria

Don't know if you'll find hotels in that price range downtown. Roll the dice with Hotwire.com I've had pretty good luck.

Poutine is ALLLL about the gravy. If you don't want gravy buy fries and curds separate. My fav poutine was alway the Montreal Pool Room, but heard something about it moving locations.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Garry Valk

Novotel by the Bell Centre generally has great rates.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:07 PM
WeeBey

Walk up St-Laurent on a Saturday night and you're bound to find a bar you like. I'm partial to Biftek, sounds like that's the kind of place you'd hear your kind of music. I've heard BRMC and Wolf Parade there a lot.

The only show I know of off the top of my head is Surfer Blood with ...Trail of Dead on Sunday.

My favorite Pizza is Woodland Pizza in Verdun but that might be kind of out of your way. Poutine without gravy isn't really poutine, it's just fries and cheese. Buns has a pretty good burger, which you can get across the street from the aformentioned Biftek.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:09 PM
DeceiverOfTheGods
HFBoards Sponsor

Hotel Maritime is a great hotel, decent rates, and close to everything (a block or two from Bell Centre).

If you're looking for a great restaurant and don't mind dropping a bit of coin, check out Modavie in Old Montreal. Place is incredible. Not cheap, but stellar.

For a cheaper but still awesome option, do yourself a favour with either Schwartz's or Dunns for a top shelf, ten bell smoked meat sandwich. Dunn's has stellar cheese cake as well.

DeceiverOfTheGods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Spectaculard
On your knees, Lucy

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Everytime one of these threads pops up, somebody mentions a "great" resto that I've never heard about before. This city really has an endless supply of places to eat.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Garde Mangez is incredible despite what the haters say.

Take the 747 bus from the airport into downtown. The cab isn't worth it, if you are in a group of one or two.

Priceline a hotel. For usually $80-100 on Priceline, I would get the Hyatt Regency. Great hotel, close to St. Laurent.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:33 PM
les Habs

WOW, that was fast! Keep 'em coming guys.

ONE MORE THING THOUGH, I arrive at midnight (at the airport). Can I still get into town w/o a cab?

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:08 PM
NewEraGM

The Meridien on Sherbrooke and St-Mathieu is pretty nice. 10 minute walk to downtown, nice place.

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:09 PM
NewEraGM

Hit up Danny's pizza. Honestly, 1 of the greatest things in the world. Its kinda of like a hole in the wall. Its take out only as the place is SUPER small but, after a long night, I hit that up on the regular.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
NewEraGM

Also, with UFC this weekend, any sports bar/ regular bar will have the fight on, meaning lots of people