HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Part 2) ECQF #3: Flyers @ Sabres - Monday, Apr. 18, 2011

Old
04-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Team still needs to get more consistent and a better overall effort. Also need to figure out the PP, a team with so much talent should not be struggling @11.1% on the PP.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Team still needs to get more consistent and a better overall effort. Also need to figure out the PP, a team with so much talent should not be struggling @11.1% on the PP.
i'm a bit more worried about the PK. they're still letting guys live in the crease. richards and carter stepped up last night. that was much needed.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Flyers2112

Guys, after watching the Sabres for more than a few games through out this season, I think it would be totally awesome to see Paul Gaustad in one of our jerseys. This guy is a beast and would fit in with us like crazy, add some much needed net presence and just bring a world of hurt to pretty much anyone who stands in his way!! I really dig this dude!!

Flyers2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2112 View Post
Guys, after watching the Sabres for more than a few games through out this season, I think it would be totally awesome to see Paul Gaustad in one of our jerseys. This guy is a beast and would fit in with us like crazy, add some much needed net presence and just bring a world of hurt to pretty much anyone who stands in his way!! I really dig this dude!!
Of the group I would prefer Konopka. He also brings a huge faceoff number.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
i'm a bit more worried about the PK. they're still letting guys live in the crease. richards and carter stepped up last night. that was much needed.
I bring this up all the time. I don't quite understand the defensive system that they employ, especially on the PP.

D D

O
Boosh

What's with leaving the offensive player all alone on our goalie's doorstep? Is it to cause less screening, because two guys are worse than one. Or is it to cause more pressure on the puck? Drives me wild to see a Buffalo guy whack away at rebounds before any Flyers arrives to help. Anyone with knowledge of strategy explain this to me?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
I would've liked more sustained offensive pressure in the third period last night. The good news is that everyone seems to be trying again; the bad news is that I get the impression that the lines generally aren't completely on the same page.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Freaking JVR has been an absolute MONSTER this series. If he was a little lucky he could have 3-4 goals so far this series.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I would've liked more sustained offensive pressure in the third period last night. The good news is that everyone seems to be trying again; the bad news is that I get the impression that the lines generally aren't completely on the same page.
And thus why a lot of folks were frustrated with this team "coasting" into the playoffs, teams still need to be prepared going into battle, not pick it up on the fly or flip a switch.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
Freaking JVR has been an absolute MONSTER this series. If he was a little lucky he could have 3-4 goals so far this series.
JvR, Giroux, and Coburn have been the best players on the ice so far. Heck Coburn gets a free meal just for taking out Kaleta and saving Timonen.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
MiD

Quote:
And thus why a lot of folks were frustrated with this team "coasting" into the playoffs, teams still need to be prepared going into battle, not pick it up on the fly or flip a switch.
exactly my thoughts... last season they finished so-so, but for few weeks before they played in playoff mode, this year last 9 weeks of the season was plain awful, they do all the little things wrong and played below .500 for 30 games (OT L and SO L are L for me, especially after sleepless night)

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
JvR, Giroux, and Coburn have been the best players on the ice so far. Heck Coburn gets a free meal just for taking out Kaleta and saving Timonen.
Yeah, JVR has been playing out of his mind. I am loving it.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah, JVR has been playing out of his mind. I am loving it.
Once he gets the chance to take on more minutes it will be interesting to see him on the PK, he has been pretty good, has a long reach and is a counterattack threat. Maybe he and Giroux next season??

Old
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
DUHockey9

I love seeing JVR like this. I was talking trash on him earlier this year because he wasn't showing me "it". I didn't think he had the intensity or meanness to take the next step. Basically he was way too much Carter and not enough Richards. Anyway, he has proven me wrong in the playoffs so far. He's playing as if he's saying "I'm better than you, and if I'm not better than you, at least I'm bigger than you." haha

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I love seeing JVR like this. I was talking trash on him earlier this year because he wasn't showing me "it". I didn't think he had the intensity or meanness to take the next step. Basically he was way too much Carter and not enough Richards. Anyway, he has proven me wrong in the playoffs so far. He's playing as if he's saying "I'm better than you, and if I'm not better than you, at least I'm bigger than you." haha
A lot of people should also look at the coach who was able to find a way to motivate him by benching, and the player for taking the benching as a positive and not a negative. I said this before, JvR is a better player now than Carter(who is a better pure scorer), if he can find his scoring touch and on-ice identity he is going to be a force for years to come and a true power fwd.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Ya know there is a reason why I dont venture to the main boards alot. Sabre fans think JVR is diving alot.
yeah ok, go watch your own team. morons.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:04 PM
LePalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I bring this up all the time. I don't quite understand the defensive system that they employ, especially on the PP.

D D

O
Boosh

What's with leaving the offensive player all alone on our goalie's doorstep? Is it to cause less screening, because two guys are worse than one. Or is it to cause more pressure on the puck? Drives me wild to see a Buffalo guy whack away at rebounds before any Flyers arrives to help. Anyone with knowledge of strategy explain this to me?
That isnt necessarily always how we play, we're usually good at flowing as the puck and circumstances change. There are times where we have 1 d low and a d and f come back to help quickly, while the d that's low goes down to block off the quick pass. It plays well for a team that has good individual penalty killers that can help each other and cycle well. if there's a mistake made, or if the PKers don't move fast enough, there's a glaring hole (such as a guy alone on the doorstep, or a guy taking an open snipe from the slot).

The goal is to not have any shots get through from the point, and not let any passes get through down low. They can go from d to down low, down low to d, d to d...no diagonals and no down low to down low passes.

Their pp goal yesterday was essentially because one defenseman covered the guy in front, one defenseman went down to block the shot (pretty much useless in that position), and Richie served absolutely no purpose. They pretty much worked into a position right in the middle of everyone, where no one knew who to cover. It was also right in the middle of Betts coming off the ice I think, and we never got settled into the PK.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Ya know there is a reason why I dont venture to the main boards alot. Sabre fans think JVR is diving alot.
Really???? He works hard but I never notice him trying to sell a trip to the ice. Now Hartnell.......this kid needed some training skates last night, he was falling all over the place.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Reading their GDTs is pretty hilarious, actually. Everytime a Flyer falls down they complain about a dive.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Reading their GDTs is pretty hilarious, actually. Everytime a Flyer falls down they complain about a dive.
Yes because we all know hartnell was diving when he received about 8 violent crosschecks to the back while he was on the ice, and gets a penalty for standing up. I think they had 8 powerplays last game which included a double minor, and a 5 on 3 for 1:15... they had their oppurtunities.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Yes because we all know hartnell was diving when he received about 8 violent crosschecks to the back while he was on the ice, and gets a penalty for standing up. I think they had 8 powerplays last game which included a double minor, and a 5 on 3 for 1:15... they had their oppurtunities.
they've been *****ing and moaning all series about the flyers "diving." save for the occasional briere/carcillo head jerk, i think its ludicrous to call JVR a diver because he's completely outworking your team. they called him out for diving on what would have been a clear breakaway had he not been tripped. yeah, i know a ton of players that would give up a clear path to the net in a tie game for a two minute powerplay...

that being said, the refs have been atrocious in this series. it was just as bad last year in the QF's too, so hopefully this is just a series thing.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
they've been *****ing and moaning all series about the flyers "diving." save for the occasional briere/carcillo head jerk, i think its ludicrous to call JVR a diver because he's completely outworking your team. they called him out for diving on what would have been a clear breakaway had he not been tripped. yeah, i know a ton of players that would give up a clear path to the net in a tie game for a two minute powerplay...

that being said, the refs have been atrocious in this series. it was just as bad last year in the QF's too, so hopefully this is just a series thing.
The refs have really dropped the ball on this series. Game 2 got away so badly from them, they called one ticky tack penalty and they kept trying to call them all game to give make ups. Even last night sabres had 8 powerplays, I mean its rare to get a single 5 on 3 in a series and there have been quite a few already.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
The reffing tends to get better as the playoffs progress, and the officiating pool shrinks.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:18 PM
kicksave27

JVR has finally figured out he's bigger than most of his opponents and can punish in a series instead of the other way around. He'll never be lindros, but he could be leclair good in the corners and around the net.

Hartnell doesn't dive. He will just fall over without anyone around for no known reason, it's like he has skating tourets or something. It's not intentional, so it's not a dive. Never seen anything like it. It's like his hair makes him have a higher center of gravity or something, i just don't understand.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
JVR has finally figured out he's bigger than most of his opponents and can punish in a series instead of the other way around. He'll never be lindros, but he could be leclair good in the corners and around the net.

Hartnell doesn't dive. He will just fall over without anyone around for no known reason, it's like he has skating tourets or something. It's not intentional, so it's not a dive. Never seen anything like it. It's like his hair makes him have a higher center of gravity or something, i just don't understand.
I can't remember if it was game 2 or game 3, but there was one play Hartnell had the puck behind the net all alone and cycled the puck, which somehow caused him to do a belly flop on the ice. I laughed.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote