HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Old
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Gilroy is a fast skater, but he's soft and has a very weak shot. He needs to be a forward, 3rd liner, period.. I'd say 4th for forechecking if he wasn't so soft!
He needs to play in Switzerland, he will probably be like Bobby Orr there. But he does not belong in NHL.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
He needs to play in Switzerland, he will probably be like Bobby Orr there. But he does not belong in NHL.
I agree.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

As long as this doesn't stand in the way of Valentenko making the team, I don't care. But Gilroy is not a very good player, and he shouldn't be anything more than a 7th defenseman.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:20 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Okay with this as long as he isn't overpaid.
lol problem is many think he's overpaid at any price

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Gilroy is a fast skater, but he's soft and has a very weak shot. He needs to be a forward, 3rd liner, period.. I'd say 4th for forechecking if he wasn't so soft!
So you want a player with a weak shot to play forward?

Or better yet, you want a soft player on our third-line?

Have any of your posts ever made any sense?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
But he does not belong in NHL.
Yes he does. You clearly don't recall the bottom-pairing dmen this organization has had to deal with over the last few decades.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Marc Staal

I wouldn't even bring him back for free.

This guy is a bum and plays like a girl. Get him the hell out of here. The season hasn't even ended yet and Sather is already making his first dumb move.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Yes he does. You clearly don't recall the bottom-pairing dmen this organization has had to deal with over the last few decades.
Just because somebody else was worse, does not mean he belongs in NHL.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Its hard to find defensemen in this league.

Some people simply refuse to accept this fact. There's a damn good reason why Sather has been stockpiling dmen in the past few drafts.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Just because somebody else was worse, does not mean he belongs in NHL.
As usual you don't know what you're talking about. How do you know what you have, if you can't make some type of comparison?

Teams around the league are employing dmen that are inferior to Gilroy. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then I'm just wasting my time here.

If there was numerous options that are superior to Gilroy, teams around the league would be blessed with top-4 dmen playing on their bottom pairing.

You're just a Gilroy hater. You have proven it again and again with your elementary approach to anything Gilroy-related.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:32 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

No thanks.

If you picture us winning the cup within 5 years, do you picture Gilroy on that team?

I sure don't. He's not worth a roster spot...not on a cup contender.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:36 AM
ocarina

I can't believe someone said they'd take ECHL Strudwick over Gilroy.

Not the biggest fan of Gilroy, but some of you guys have really short memories. Struds was terrible during his time here, as good of a teammate he was. Probably the worst full-time d-man the Rangers have had post-lockout.

Gilroy can be frustrating, but he at least isn't constantly out of position and can use his speed at times.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
lol problem is many think he's overpaid at any price
Haha, well, right now he is definitely overpaid, but he will not make this money again on the next contract, so we'll see.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers top 4 D are all over 6-1 and 200 pounds. If the Rangers can re-sign Gilroy @ a decent number,then what is the issue? He is a good teammate. Its hard to find defensemen in this league. The Rangers have invested two years in helping Gilroy make the adjustment to pro hockey.

Speaking of the Caps,John Erskine was waived out of Dallas. He's technically the Caps #7 D but has carved out a decent career. No mobility. Stay at home and keep it simple. Good teammate. Washington kept him @ a decent number.
Exactly. Very good example. Gilroy needs Rangers to complete what they started with him. He should sign with discount.
As for fans, Poti was hated here too, BTW. Didn't make him any worse after all.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Does anybody else see the Rangers (presumabely lowball) offer as polite way of saying "there is the door, buddy" and that Gilroy tries his luck at UFA instead?
Actually no. This happens all the time. Recent players in the same boat were Sjostrom, Christiensen and here in Phoenix Lauri Korpikoski and Petr Prucha.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:39 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If Gilroy is resigned for VERY cheap as a 6th/7th d-man I don't really have a problem with it, even though I do not want him here.

We're going to need all the cap space we can get to get Richards and then add the piece(s) around him necessary to bring us to the Cup.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:40 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I was happy when I woke up until I saw this.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
SomE

Quote:
Let's just look at the facts:
-He is playing just fine
-He is playing in the NHL

I'd say he belongs

Are you just upset that your boy NHL may have ran out of chances?

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

This group of defensemen + Hank helped the Rangers rank #5 in GA/G this season. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. I'd rather keep what we have (except for McCabe maybe) than sign some guy to be our 6/7th instead of Gilroy and have that guy turn out to be like Strudwick, Kalinin, or Christian Backman.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I can't believe someone said they'd take ECHL Strudwick over Gilroy.

Not the biggest fan of Gilroy, but some of you guys have really short memories. Struds was terrible during his time here, as good of a teammate he was. Probably the worst full-time d-man the Rangers have had post-lockout.

Gilroy can be frustrating, but he at least isn't constantly out of position and can use his speed at times.
Struds could barely skate a half-decade ago when he was our #6~7. There's 1 guy here who's living in the past, and is completely oblivious as to how slow he is right now. Struds is an absolute traffic cone, much like most other #7 guys.

Struds has been a + once in his entire 16 year career. Once! +4 in 2001. He was a -16 this season (in 43 games).

Anyone who prefers Struds over Gilroy should never watch hockey again. Ever. Ever ever ever ever ever.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-McDonagh
MDZ(or Valentenko)-UFA vet
Gilroy

I don't want Gilroy near our top 6, really.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
SomE

Quote:
Struds could barely skate a half-decade ago when he was our #6~7. There's 1 guy here who's living in the past, and is completely oblivious as to how slow he is right now. Struds is an absolute traffic cone, much like most other #7 guys.

Struds has been a + once in his entire 16 year career. Once! +4 in 2001. He was a -16 this season (in 43 games).

Anyone who prefers Struds over Gilroy should never watch hockey again. Ever. Ever ever ever ever ever.
I find it hard to believe that anyone saying that has actually watched hockey in the 1st place.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
SomE

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that someone who says that has actually watched hockey to begin with.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
E Nixson