HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov to the Flyers

Old
04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
You would trade Jeff Carter for free agent rights and a mid-1st (in a really weak draft) and a 1st from a team that is young and on the rise?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You would trade Jeff Carter for free agent rights and a mid-1st (in a really weak draft) and a 1st from a team that is young and on the rise?
I would consider Boedker and next years 1st, Phx is going to be bad next year. Yes. And obviously in making the deal a contract would already be in place. A goalie in the prime of his career with this lineup......

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I would trade Jeff Carter for the rights to Bryzgalov and their #1 pick this year and next. Done and done.
Oh my.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Oh my.
Yup, and your point??? Last time the Flyers had a legit #1 goalie?? Most people on this forum were probably just born or at least in elementary school.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
I would consider Boedker and next years 1st, Phx is going to be bad next year. Yes. And obviously in making the deal a contract would already be in place. A goalie in the prime of his career with this lineup......
PHX isn't going to be bad next year... don't know why on earth you would think that.

Here are their UFAs:
Vrbata
Fiddler
Belanger
Ebbet
Hollweg
Jovanovski

Both goalies.

They have multiple young players who will continue to improve.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

He's the man in the detroit series.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
PHX isn't going to be bad next year... don't know why on earth you would think that.

Here are their UFAs:
Vrbata
Fiddler
Belanger
Ebbet
Hollweg
Jovanovski

Both goalies.

They have multiple young players who will continue to improve.

They will be young but it is highly likely that they are getting moved and a change in ownership. There will be a firesale and will most likely try and restock with players they want, which always puts a new ownership in that 3-5 year window.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Yup, and your point??? Last time the Flyers had a legit #1 goalie?? Most people on this forum were probably just born or at least in elementary school.
Which is proof that the organization's approach to goaltending is that goaltending doesn't win championships, so they focus more on offense and defense. So what makes you think they're going to dump the number 2 goalscorer 2 years ago and completely change the mentality they've had for the past 20 years?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
He's the man in the detroit series.
Let's be fair, here...Detroit has dominated that team in every area of the game.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
They will be young but it is highly likely that they are getting moved and a change in ownership. There will be a firesale and will most likely try and restock with players they want, which always puts a new ownership in that 3-5 year window.
Why would new ownership have a firesale of a young team that is on the rise? That literally makes ZERO sense. If I had the money (and could move them to a market I liked) the young talent on that roster is one of the reasons I would be interested in buying them in the first place.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Orange Crush 89

We've had good enough to good goaltending several years only to have the team around them cause the let down.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
this team needs a goalie bad enough that i would trade JVR just to get even one year in the playoffs with a solid A+ goaltender..
I disagree with this completely.....Our goal tending is fine, we just need to stay out of the penalty box more.Trading JVR for a goalie is crazy in my opinion, he has been nails in these playoffs.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I would trade Jeff Carter for the rights to Bryzgalov and their #1 pick this year and next. Done and done.
I hope nobody takes this seriously

edit: too late. They did. And unfortunately, apparently so does Cartsiephan? Really?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
ShotScore*

Yeah I'll take Bryz any day.

Imagine going into the playoffs with no goalie controversy. Makes life so much sweeter to have a guy like that on your team.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Let's be fair, here...Detroit has dominated that team in every area of the game.
Agreed.
But he's let up some really soft goals, IMO

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Agreed.
But he's let up some really soft goals, IMO
Yeah, if anything, watching that series has killed any desire to see Bryz on this team, especially if his contract costs us forwards. I'd rather see if Bob meets his potential.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

We would be lucky to get a bag of pucks for that hack Carter

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:00 PM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We would be lucky to get a bag of pucks for that hack Carter
what can you do??

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Which is proof that the organization's approach to goaltending is that goaltending doesn't win championships, so they focus more on offense and defense. So what makes you think they're going to dump the number 2 goalscorer 2 years ago and completely change the mentality they've had for the past 20 years?
Clarke tried building through the middle with size, they tried putting 6'7" d-men on the defense, they tried going after big UFA's to rebuild. All the while if they had just gotten a goalie who could have carried this organization to the next level it most likely would have resulted in a SC in Philly.

They have center depth, they have a piece which can help them get a goalie and I am a firm believer that even if they lose Carter so long as they are putting that money to another place of need they will be OK. Look at Gagne being moved to accommodate the Meszaros money. Losing Carter and replacing him with Bryzgalov would not be the end of this team, just focus of building a more secure foundation from the net out.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Why would new ownership have a firesale of a young team that is on the rise? That literally makes ZERO sense. If I had the money (and could move them to a market I liked) the young talent on that roster is one of the reasons I would be interested in buying them in the first place.
But if you are buying the young talent, and moving them to another city(Winnipeg), you are going to want to surround them with the players who fit your coaches gameplan(whatever that may be). If the team is bought they most likely go the route of the Penguins, tank a couple years, build with some of the talent already on the roster, and get a #1 draft pick who is going to be a name who you can build around(see Crosby, Kane, etc...)

Old
04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
But if you are buying the young talent, and moving them to another city(Winnipeg), you are going to want to surround them with the players who fit your coaches gameplan(whatever that may be). If the team is bought they most likely go the route of the Penguins, tank a couple years, build with some of the talent already on the roster, and get a #1 draft pick who is going to be a name who you can build around(see Crosby, Kane, etc...)
...the Penguins tanked because they were devoid of any young talent on that roster. Tanking when you already have young talent is *ing stupid.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
...the Penguins tanked because they were devoid of any young talent on that roster. Tanking when you already have young talent is *ing stupid.
Not if you are moving to a new city and want to be able to fill the seats. Building around the young talent you have and then getting a hopeful star quality type player to market is smart business.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Not if you are moving to a new city and want to be able to fill the seats. Building around the young talent you have and then getting a hopeful star quality type player to market is smart business.
So, lemme get this straight.

You think a team coming off of a 107 and 99 point season (in a touch conference) should adopt a business plan of ripping up that team and rebuilding (this involves losing by definition) as opposed to just transplanting a 100 point team to a new market and winning games immediately?

Well played, sir. Well played. I mean, why wouldn't you want to move to a Canadian city with a bunch of recognizable Canadian players?

Old
04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
So, lemme get this straight.

You think a team coming off of a 107 and 99 point season (in a touch conference) should adopt a business plan of ripping up that team and rebuilding (this involves losing by definition) as opposed to just transplanting a 100 point team to a new market and winning games immediately?

Well played, sir. Well played. I mean, why wouldn't you want to move to a Canadian city with a bunch of recognizable Canadian players?
I am not saying this, Bettmans expansion plan has failed, it is likely that this team is going to have to move out of Glendale, Az to survive. Heck, this has been operating as an NHL owned operation over parts of the last two years.

THN: Coyotes move to Winnipeg announced after Cup final/before draft
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/39788-.html

Amid reports the deal to sell the Phoenix Coyotes to Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer is on life support, a source with knowledge of the situation told THN.com a deal is basically done to move the Coyotes to Winnipeg and will be announced sometime between the end of the Stanley Cup final and the June 24 draft.

According to the source, the deal calls for the Coyotes to be sold to True North Sports and Entertainment for $140 million. It’s believed the deal will be announced at something north of $200 million, but that includes more than $60 million in renovations to add 2,500 seats to the MTS Centre in Winnipeg.

The source said the deal has not been signed, but there is a memorandum of agreement in place and that the deal will be signed when the NHL’s deal with Hulsizer officially dies.

And once it does, both the NHL and those on Glendale city council who voted for the $197 million deal with Hulsizer will have a convenient scapegoat to blame for the demise of the pact - the Goldwater Institute. The public watchdog has vowed to file a lawsuit to block the sale of municipal bonds to finance the purchase of the Coyotes. The Goldwater Institute has been steadfast in its insistence the deal between Hulsizer and the city of Glendale, which includes an upfront payment of $100 million to Hulsizer, violates Arizona law with respect to public subsidies.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and those on Glendale council who held their nose and voted to approve the lease at Jobing.com Arena to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix will be off the hook and will simply be able to blame the Goldwater Institute and its incessant meddling as the reason why the deal could not work.

But pointing to Goldwater as the reason for the demise of the Coyotes sale is based on the same flawed logic that blames the salary cap for the downward spiral of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Doing so makes sense to Phil Lieberman, a Glendale councilor who has been vocal in his opposition to the deal and was one of two councilors who voted against it.

“I have talked to the Goldwater Institute and they don’t have a case until the bonds are actually sold,” Lieberman said. “There is no possible way, and I stand behind this publicly, that the 5,500 parking spots at $10 a night can pay the $7 million to $8 million a year that the debt service would require to cover the debt. It just can’t be done.”

The lease was expected to cost the city of Glendale $197 million over a six year period, much of which would be covered by a sale of $116 million worth of municipal bonds. But any shortfall would have to be covered by the city.

Lieberman said when the city set aside $20 million for Hulsizer’s management fees for next year, it had to take $9.5 million out of the city’s contingency fund to balance the budget. In a weak economy with unfinished and crumbling infrastructure, Lieberman finds that unacceptable.

Lieberman said there are several areas where the money would be better used. He pointed out the city currently has 20 openings for police officers it won’t fill in order to meet the budget. He also said construction began on a courthouse in his district and $42 million was earmarked for the project, but after just $12 million was spent, the basement was capped until the additional $30 million can be found; the project has been put off until between 2015 and 2017. Also, a cultural center could not be properly completed 10 years after it opened because there was not enough money to do so.

He also said city employees last year had to take a furlough that resulted in a 10 percent reduction in their pay and will do the same this year to account for a five percent pay cut.

“I want streets, I want sewers, I want gutters and I want cops,” Lieberman said. “Making sure that Hulsizer has a $20 million management fee, how does that provide the services to my 39,900 constituents?”

Old
04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
And the Rangers kinda have a starting goaltender, don't know what the point of yours is here.
Think what he was saying was that if the Rangers needed a goalie they would be the type of team that would throw a huge contract at Bryzgalov. Point being there's gonna be some team that is gonna overpay for him. Which I agree with, in theory. But off the top of my head, I can't think of any team that has a need for a goalie next year and the willingness to spend for one in the FA market. Which might drive Bryz's bargaining power down quite a bit.

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote