HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why wasn't Zherdev in the warm ups Game 1???

Old
04-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
how about recognising that the man has a skillset that maybe 5 players in the league have. How about recognising that while he may be poor on defense, he is a complete offensive dynamo, that forces the opposition to watch him at all times.

When you can have a player like that on the ice, you do it. You can always cover defensive defensive lapesse. Not many people can create offense like he does
No he's not. "Complete offensive dynamos" don't have career highs of 61 pts.

He's a skilled offensive player, who is only occasionally willing to do the work it requires to produce in the NHL.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect the Jewels View Post
Zherdev plays. Game winning goal. Several good offensive zone chances.

I just can't grasp the hate.
Haters??? Seriously people. Zherdev has the talent to be a very good hockey player but you never know what you are going to get and in the playoffs it is much more about a tighter defensive coverage than it is about offensive prowess.

It is not as noticeable in this round because the Flyers are obviously a more talented team, but as you get into each round the competition is more equal and it comes down to one or two MISTAKES that change the games. Goalies not making the timely saves(Leighton), poor line changes(see Bruins Savard last season), all offense and no defense(see Caps)....these things all make for sleepless nights for coaches. Thus why when Nodl is healthy he is the obvious choice.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
Zherdev is a phenom and should be on the ice for the whole game if possible
Love the sig, good to see.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

A well rested Zherdev playing with 2 responsible defensive forwards is a pretty thing to watch. He's not afraid to shoot and he's finishing his checks. I thought Nodl played pretty well in game 1 as well. Teams will have to pay more attention to that line when Z is on it.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Doyle

Zherdev goes from waiver wire to playoff hero

http://nhlhotstove.com/zherdev-goes-...-playoff-hero/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
A well rested Zherdev playing with 2 responsible defensive forwards is a pretty thing to watch. He's not afraid to shoot and he's finishing his checks. I thought Nodl played pretty well in game 1 as well. Teams will have to pay more attention to that line when Z is on it.
Or they will get exposed and Richards and Versteeg will have to cover for Zherdev when he makes a low % pass, is caught in a poor line change, or maybe caught cherry picking and a pass is interecepted for a 2v1 break the opposite way.

Do you prefer Powe gets @15mins a game?

Old
04-19-2011, 10:12 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Or they will get exposed and Richards and Versteeg will have to cover for Zherdev when he makes a low % pass, is caught in a poor line change, or maybe caught cherry picking and a pass is interecepted for a 2v1 break the opposite way.

You're not going to see this often so remember it: I agree with CartsieFan!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:19 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Zherdev, playoff GWG = CLUTCH

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I am not ALL bad, just have my weaknesses for picking on the dynamic duo.

Bottom line, this team has offense and they have players who can score. The focus as games get tighter comes down to one or two mistakes which can determine the outcome of a game or a series.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Zherdev goes from waiver wire to playoff hero
Thanks for the unpaid advertisement.

Quote:
Going on your tombstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
Zherdev, playoff GWG = CLUTCH
Just wait til he reaches his prime.

Quote:

Bottom line, this team has offense and they have players who can score. The focus as games get tighter comes down to one or two mistakes which can determine the outcome of a game or a series.
Welcome back. Hope you had a nice day off from work.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:47 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:

You do make some pretty good points from time to time, usually in conversations not revolving around Carter/Richards.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:58 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No he's not. "Complete offensive dynamos" don't have career highs of 61 pts.

He's a skilled offensive player, who is only occasionally willing to do the work it requires to produce in the NHL.
its obviously the fault of all the coaches Zherdev has had. If he had a good coach, he would be as good as OV

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
You do make some pretty good points from time to time, usually in conversations not revolving around Carter/Richards.
Depends if I take my medication in the morning.

Today I forgot my Zherdev pill.

Over the weekend I was down in Pa and watched game 2 with my borther, I think I may have turned him to the dark side in my hatred for Carter. Easily the worst game I have seen him play as a Flyer.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Thanks for the unpaid advertisement.

Going on your tombstone.

Just wait til he reaches his prime.

Welcome back. Hope you had a nice day off from work.
Murph!!! If that's going on my tombstone I refuse to die and if I do, I'm going to haunt you!!!

Also, regarding waiver wire to hero or whatever the hell Doyle wrote, sorry but no, a hero would have scored that goal through his own hard work and would have busted his ass on the penalty kills. A hero doesn't get his ass stapled to the bench whenever the team needs to shut the other team down.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Murph!!! If that's going on my tombstone I refuse to die and if I do, I'm going to haunt you!!!

Also, regarding waiver wire to hero or whatever the hell Doyle wrote, sorry but no, a hero would have scored that goal through his own hard work and would have busted his ass on the penalty kills. A hero doesn't get his ass stapled to the bench whenever the team needs to shut the other team down.
See we agree.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
At least give him his credit when it is due. I understand everyone hates Zherdev, but the guy scored the game winning goal in Game 3 to put us up 2-1 in the series. He deserves some praise. Until tomorrow's game he is the hero.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
At least give him his credit when it is due. I understand everyone hates Zherdev, but the guy scored the game winning goal in Game 3 to put us up 2-1 in the series. He deserves some praise. Until tomorrow's game he is the hero.
I don't think that's accurate at all. He has a couple of haters, but mostly people just have a really good read on him. He's an offensively talented defensive liability with a tendency to not buy into the system and try to do his own thing.

I think most of us feel he can be useful in these playoffs, but we also justifiably recognize that the guy has very real flaws that are a very real concern. Essentially, he's a poor man's Kovalev.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Cause no one in the line up ever does that right?There's players with offensive upside and poor defensive awareness all over the league. What I've seen from Zherdev since the waiver fiasco has been mostly positive. Life must be tough when your two favorite whipping boys contribute in a win Cartsie.

Old
04-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Cause no one in the line up ever does that right?There's players with offensive upside and poor defensive awareness all over the league. What I've seen from Zherdev since the waiver fiasco has been mostly positive. Life must be tough when your two favorite whipping boys contribute in a win Cartsie.
No, actually I like the wins when they actually show up, because without them having some form of success this team does not have much of a chance over the course of the palyoffs.

In Zherdev we are not talking about a guy who is going to be in the top 6 players on the roster, he is at this point a depth fwd given a chance to play due to a decision on an "upper body injury" to Nodl.

Fact is, defense and the team who makes the least amount of mistakes usually wins the matchups when they get more even with talent. Nodl is the more responsible choice of the two and I am good with that because Zherdev has been given every chance to show he belongs and as time goes on he just eventually finds himself back in the doghouse.

As far as Carter, Show Me the Cup.

Old
04-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Eric Lindros

Quote:
This is what I'm saying. I've never seen Flyers fans less happy to see a guy get a game winning playoff goal. I'm not saying everyone's saying "Curses! Not Zherdev!", but there's very little enthusiasm in the note of "Wow! That's great to see! Good for him!". Instead, it's all "Well, that doesn't outweigh his downsides" or "His linemates will have to make up for his awful passes".

Come on, give the guy his due and only hate on him when he's actually doing something that deserves it.

Eric Lindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Snipsnap12

Wish flyers were playing tonight, cant wait until tommorow

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:01 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Good for him for tapping in a sure goal while his linemates did the work. How's that?

I'm glad he scored and I'll be gladder when he's no longer a Flyer. From the beginning of the season he didn't get it, wouldn't talk to the press, went to Homer to complain about the ice time Lavi gave him, had his ass stapled to the bench for screwing up, spent oodles of time in the press box, couldn't be found in Carolina when Richards got the flu and couldn't play so they had to play Shelley, asked to be waived, got his wish, wasn't picked up by anyone, sat on his ass again, was talked to again and again by Homer and Lavi, would play well one game back and then go back to his old habits, lather, rinse repeat.

You guys who like him make it sound like we don't like him for no good reason but the fact is, the reasons are plentiful. We wanted his stint here to work and it hasn't. I don't like players who are so bad defensively that other players have to pick up their slack. So until I see him busting his ass at both ends of the rink, I won't give him a medal for one of the easiest goals he's scored in his life.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect the Jewels View Post
This is what I'm saying. I've never seen Flyers fans less happy to see a guy get a game winning playoff goal. I'm not saying everyone's saying "Curses! Not Zherdev!", but there's very little enthusiasm in the note of "Wow! That's great to see! Good for him!". Instead, it's all "Well, that doesn't outweigh his downsides" or "His linemates will have to make up for his awful passes".

Come on, give the guy his due and only hate on him when he's actually doing something that deserves it.

Most of these posters predicted Zherdev wouldn't play for us again when he was waived.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Quote:
Good for him for tapping in a sure goal while his linemates did the work. How's that?

I'm glad he scored and I'll be gladder when he's no longer a Flyer. From the beginning of the season he didn't get it, wouldn't talk to the press, went to Homer to complain about the ice time Lavi gave him, had his ass stapled to the bench for screwing up, spent oodles of time in the press box, couldn't be found in Carolina when Richards got the flu and couldn't play so they had to play Shelley, asked to be waived, got his wish, wasn't picked up by anyone, sat on his ass again, was talked to again and again by Homer and Lavi, would play well one game back and then go back to his old habits, lather, rinse repeat.

You guys who like him make it sound like we don't like him for no good reason but the fact is, the reasons are plentiful. We wanted his stint here to work and it hasn't. I don't like players who are so bad defensively that other players have to pick up their slack. So until I see him busting his ass at both ends of the rink, I won't give him a medal for one of the easiest goals he's scored in his life.
God forbid every goal isn't a strong individual effort. Why even count the tip in goals? I've seen players miss from there usually by shooting it low into the goalie. I never said Zherdev's goal was a nice one, but when it comes to the playoffs I really don't care who or how it is scored.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:34 AM
phillyfury

Zherdev's pursuit led to the initial cough-up that was picked off by Versteeg. As for whether that goal was a sitter, I could see Nodl shooting it into a sliding Miller. Probably not the hardest goal to score, but not the easiest as well. Next shift, Zherdev swooped around the net and put a nice feed across for Richards, who fumbled the puck a bit. Had he put that one it, the game would've been decided earlier. Zherdev's 'earned' himself two games of meager minutes. For the haters, his decision to put in the hard work after waivers is something to be commended. As for those who said he wouldn't show up in the important games like the playoffs, he has in his single game, and has as many goals as Carter, and Giroux. Now if he could only get on the power play. Having said that, Zherdev can go from being the best player on the ice, to one of the worst. He was the Flyers' best player against the Rangers and Devils, but was completely lost against the Islanders. That game probably put him back on the bench. If he could just play more or less like he did in this third game against Buffalo, he'd be one of the best in the league.

Last edited by phillyfury: 04-20-2011 at 01:40 AM.
phillyfury is offline   Reply With Quote