HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Old
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Let's just look at the facts:
-He is playing just fine
-He is playing in the NHL

I'd say he belongs

Are you just upset that your boy NHL may have ran out of chances?
Playing just fine? If we didn't have such good goaltending this guy would be exposed, he actually was exposed in the 2nd game he was on ice for all the goals against, he doesn't know how to properly defend, does not have the strength to properly defend, failure offensively, and he is soft. I would take slow, but big and mean Erskene anytime over Gilroy.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:32 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
EDIT: The people expecting Valentenko to come in and play in the NHL next year havn't been watching him play in Hartford.
I think they only saw the grittiness he played with in the pre-season and assumed he would stay the same way with Hartford.

From what I've read, he has actually been like that. However, it still seems his actual defensive game needs work, just like in pre-season. A lot of people don't understand that hitting has little to do with how good a player is defensively.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Playing just fine? If we didn't have such good goaltending this guy would be exposed, he actually was exposed in the 2nd game he was on ice for all the goals against, he doesn't know how to properly defend, does not have the strength to properly defend, failure offensively, and he is soft. I would take slow, but big and mean Erskene anytime over Gilroy.
Would love Erskine and he is cheap to...Rangers need someone like that on the blue line...Vandermeer, O'Brien, Montador, O'Donnell, Ericcson and Harrison are the guys i would look to sign over Gilroy.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
That's fine. His attitude is great. But wouldn't Eminger be a better option than Gilly?
Eminger has the qualities that would be a better fit for the type of game this team plays, but Gilroy has been the better and more consistent player on the season as a whole.

Quote:

Gilroy doesn't kill penalties, so, no, he wasn't on for both of the goals in game 2. It also wasn't his assignment that was blown and lead to the Chimera goal. He had his man and checked him down to the ice behind the net.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Eminger has the qualities that would be a better fit for the type of game this team plays, but Gilroy has been the better and more consistent player on the season as a whole.
I just can't agree with that...Eminger started brutally but then really settled in and played much better than Gilroy did.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I think they only saw the grittiness he played with in the pre-season and assumed he would stay the same way with Hartford.

From what I've read, he has actually been like that. However, it still seems his actual defensive game needs work, just like in pre-season. A lot of people don't understand that hitting has little to do with how good a player is defensively.
Regarding defensive games - he was tied for 1st (together with Grachev) on the Whale/Wolfpack team this year on +/- stats - both with a very respectable +21 for the year. I know many people here disregard this statistic as useless - Many GMs & coaches and myself included DO NOT.

He needs a bit of work on his first stride - getting more explosive to win 1 on 1 battles (great open ice skater) and his defensive coverage too. But he has the toolset as an NHL defender. He can hit, shoot, skate and has pretty hockey good sense on the ice. And apparently good character and a team guy (no Russian Diva). By no means a virituosa - but he is a "warrior on ice" as he has been dubbed. Really what we need - together with a powerful Righthanded shooter on the 3rd pair. Could he be groomed & shift over to the right side and possibly be paired with MDZ on the 3rd pair - if MDZ gets his act together this summer - both on & off the ice? That would be (in theory I admit) great having an all "homegrown" (well - basically) defense next year in:

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
MDZ - Valetenko
Gilroy

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Playing just fine? If we didn't have such good goaltending this guy would be exposed,
Really? MDZ was getting exposed left and right when he was up here. So was Eminger at the start of the season. I don't see that happening to Matt.

Quote:
he actually was exposed in the 2nd game he was on ice for all the goals against, he doesn't know how to properly defend, does not have the strength to properly defend, failure offensively, and he is soft. I would take slow, but big and mean Erskene anytime over Gilroy.
Again, if he doesn't know how to properly defend, 4th liners in this league would expose him shift after shift. He wouldn't be anywhere near the NHL if he didn't understand his position. Erskene is a legitimate liability defensively. You want a dumb, slow, penalty machine this time of the year?

Our top-4 dmen all have good size, and are physical.

I recall you once suggesting we swap Girardi for Jovo, which says a lot about your opinion when it comes down to evaluating that position. You're just another Gilroy hater, imo. Completely oblivious to whatever he does unless it's a mistake.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:

Gilroy doesn't kill penalties, so, no, he wasn't on for both of the goals in game 2. It also wasn't his assignment that was blown and lead to the Chimera goal. He had his man and checked him down to the ice behind the net.
I can't believe somebody is denying facts, maybe if you weren't so lazy you would check your facts first. Maybe Gilroy was more consistent (consistently bad) than Eminger, but he hasn't been better.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Regarding defensive games - he was tied for 1st (together with Grachev) on the Whale/Wolfpack team this year on +/- stats - both with a very respectable +21 for the year. I know many people here disregard this statistic as useless - Many GMs & coaches and myself included DO NOT.

He needs a bit of work on his first stride - getting more explosive to win 1 on 1 battles (great open ice skater) and his defensive coverage too. But he has the toolset as an NHL defender. He can hit, shoot, skate and has pretty hockey good sense on the ice. And apparently good character and a team guy (no Russian Diva). By no means a virituosa - but he is a "warrior on ice" as he has been dubbed. Really what we need - together with a powerful Righthanded shooter on the 3rd pair. Could he be groomed & shift over to the right side and possibly be paired with MDZ on the 3rd pair - if MDZ gets his act together this summer - both on & off the ice? That would be (in theory I admit) great having an all "homegrown" (well - basically) defense next year in:

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
MDZ - Valetenko
Gilroy
Don't forget about Kundatrek...he has been consistent all year.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Really? MDZ was getting exposed left and right when he was up here. So was Eminger at the start of the season. I don't see that happening to Matt.

Again, if he doesn't know how to properly defend, 4th liners in this league would expose him shift after shift. He wouldn't be anywhere near the NHL if he didn't understand his position. Erskene is a legitimate liability defensively. You want a dumb, slow, penalty machine this time of the year?

Our top-4 dmen all have good size, and are physical.

I recall you once suggesting we swap Girardi for Jovo, which says a lot about your opinion when it comes down to evaluating that position. You're just another Gilroy hater, imo. Completely oblivious to whatever he does unless it's a mistake.
I was never swapping Girardi for Jovo, so shove your incorrect/incomplete propaganda.

Eminger was not exposed left and right. He was hitting and blocking shots left and right.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I just can't agree with that...Eminger started brutally but then really settled in and played much better than Gilroy did.
Eminger did not start brutally, only the haters were claiming that he was brutal, but then they finally saw that he was pretty solid.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Really? MDZ was getting exposed left and right when he was up here. So was Eminger at the start of the season.
I don't see that happening to Matt.
O'reilly?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:05 PM
In The Flesh

Good move. I like Gilroy and I still don't think we've seen all of his potential.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:05 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Don't forget about Kundatrek...he has been consistent all year.
Good point. He is a righty too.

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
MDZ/Valetenko/ev UFA - Kundratek/ev UFA/somebody switches over to Right D?

Gilroy/Eminger?

Lots of theoretical options on the bottom pairing... And I am sure we have not seen the end of it yet....

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
I was never swapping Girardi for Jovo, so shove your incorrect/incomplete propaganda.

Eminger was not exposed left and right. He was hitting and blocking shots left and right.
Im pretty sure it was you. Maybe other players were involved, but I recall you suggesting we trade Girardi/Jovo. I recall you saying Staal is overrated too. Just find it amusing

You must have a short memory. Eminger was brutal at the start of the year. Taking himself out of position going for a big hit. Taking stupid boarding penalty's. Yea, he was exposed often at the start of the year.

If Torts started Eminger over Gilroy tomorrow, I wouldn't mind it though. I think Steve's game has come a long way. The coaching staff that you want to see replaced has done a fairly good job improving players like Prust, Boyle, Dubi, Cally, and so on.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Eminger did not start brutally, only the haters were claiming that he was brutal, but then they finally saw that he was pretty solid.
No, he was bad. Going way out of position for the big hit and blowing his defensive coverage. Once he started to simplify his game a little and let the hits come to him instead of the other way around he looked very good.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, he was bad. Going way out of position for the big hit and blowing his defensive coverage. Once he started to simplify his game a little and let the hits come to him instead of the other way around he looked very good.
Guy had trouble staying on his feet through the preseason, and didn't play much. Semenov outplayed him badly. But the NYR knew what they were doing, it seems.

I'd take either of those guys over Gilroy, though.

04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Rangers44, you were swapping Girardi for Jovanovski. Don't lie.

Anyway, ew. No thanks to Gilroy at any deal. His negatives far outweigh his positives as a "depth defenseman". If he was used for AHL depth, I'd be please with that, but I would not be happy seeing him in a Ranger sweater again. He's an offensive defenseman that doesn't score. In other words - useless.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
In December, I would have agreed. I think Eminger's play began to fall off in the 2nd half of the season to a point where he wasn't the "unsung hero" I thought he was back in the fall.

Quote:
I can't believe somebody is denying facts, maybe if you weren't so lazy you would check your facts first. Maybe Gilroy was more consistent (consistently bad) than Eminger, but he hasn't been better.
Pft. Ok. Not sure why I even bothered.....

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Guy had trouble staying on his feet through the preseason, and didn't play much. Semenov outplayed him badly. But the NYR knew what they were doing, it seems.

I'd take either of those guys over Gilroy, though.
Semenov, I bet was brought back to be taught a lesson for leaving prior year. I doubt they had any intension of signing him, and no he did not outplay Eminger at all.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Rangers44, you were swapping Girardi for Jovanovski. Don't lie.

Anyway, ew. No thanks to Gilroy at any deal. His negatives far outweigh his positives as a "depth defenseman". If he was used for AHL depth, I'd be please with that, but I would not be happy seeing him in a Ranger sweater again. He's an offensive defenseman that doesn't score. In other words - useless.
I am a liar now?

Old
04-19-2011, 12:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Gilroy has been VERY good in the Playoffs.

I always like him, i hope he does come back at a cheap rate.

If nothing else, he is a fine 7th defenseman if Eminger doesn't want to come back.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Greg02

My problem with Gilroy is his pinching habits. He goes in deep and doesn't come back out... it's like he thinks he's a forward. Infuriatingly, this habit is exacerbated after he scores.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
In December, I would have agreed. I think Eminger's play began to fall off in the 2nd half of the season to a point where he wasn't the "unsung hero" I thought he was back in the fall.

Pft. Ok. Not sure why I even bothered.....
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030112.HTM

do you see this:

1 2 2:11 EV WSH 25 J.CHIMERA(1) 90 M.JOHANSSON(1) 21 B.LAICH(1) 17, 19, 21, 28, 30, 97 21, 23, 25, 30, 55, 90
2 2 4:08 PP WSH 44 J.ARNOTT(1) 52 M.GREEN(2) 8 A.OVECHKIN(1) 19, 23, 30, 38, 97 8, 18, 28, 30, 44, 52

Old
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Gilroy has been VERY good in the Playoffs.

I always like him, i hope he does come back at a cheap rate.

If nothing else, he is a fine 7th defenseman.
Very good? That's certainly stretching it. He was not impressive in game 2 at all. He was pretty solid in the other games, but far from "very good".

And I always see you saying "dump so and so and Gilroy, etc.". All of a sudden you like him?

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote