HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Old
04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Gilroy has been VERY good in the Playoffs.

I always like him, i hope he does come back at a cheap rate.

If nothing else, he is a fine 7th defenseman if Eminger doesn't want to come back.
again in game 2 he was on ice for all goals against, he also doesn't hit anyone.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Very good? That's certainly stretching it. He was not impressive in game 2 at all. He was pretty solid in the other games, but far from "very good".

And I always see you saying "dump so and so and Gilroy, etc.". All of a sudden you like him?
If he costs too much then I'd dump him.

If Eminger doesn't want to come back and sit for half the season, then why not have Gilroy back in that role?

Can't put a rookie in the 7th role.

It's like ying/yang for me on Gilroy.

I like him. But if we can upgrade im all for that.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
Good move. I like Gilroy and I still don't think we've seen all of his potential.
I agree and he has played well against the Crapitols...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

OK ok....VERY good was stretching it.

He's been good for the most part. He hasn't made many mistakes under pressure. He's been good.

My point still stands, if hes going to be cheap as a 7th Dman, then that's not bad.

I would prefer Eminger based on his physical play. But if Eminger doesn't want to come back, or if he costs more, then Gilroy wouldn't be a bad option.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Semenov, I bet was brought back to be taught a lesson for leaving prior year. I doubt they had any intension of signing him, and no he did not outplay Eminger at all.
Eminger struggled in the preseason, whereas Semenov played very good hockey. Have to disagree with you on that point.

Semenov was in NY most of the summer preparing for this as his last shot. He wasn't 'brought back' to be taught a lesson, he simply wanted to give it one more go.

Now Exelby, on the other hand, was a disaster.

04-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030112.HTM

do you see this:

1 2 2:11 EV WSH 25 J.CHIMERA(1) 90 M.JOHANSSON(1) 21 B.LAICH(1) 17, 19, 21, 28, 30, 97 21, 23, 25, 30, 55, 90
2 2 4:08 PP WSH 44 J.ARNOTT(1) 52 M.GREEN(2) 8 A.OVECHKIN(1) 19, 23, 30, 38, 97 8, 18, 28, 30, 44, 52
Wow. I owe you an apology R44. I don't recall seeing Gilroy on the kill, nor would I advocate him being out there even though I'm doing my best to defend his abilities.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
OK ok....VERY good was stretching it.

He's been good for the most part. He hasn't made many mistakes under pressure. He's been good.

My point still stands, if hes going to be cheap as a 7th Dman, then that's not bad.

I would prefer Eminger based on his physical play. But if Eminger doesn't want to come back, or if he costs more, then Gilroy wouldn't be a bad option.
much better options are available via free agency, trade, and our development system.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Wow. I owe you an apology R44. I don't recall seeing Gilroy on the kill, nor would I advocate him being out there even though I'm doing my best to defend his abilities.
Well, he was out there because I believe both penalties were on PK defenseman, and Gilroy is much better than McCabe in that instance.

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Thanks. The reason he was on the PK is one of our top 4 took a penalty, so naturally we have to play either McCabe or Gilroy ()both defensive liabilities) on the PK. This is why I don't get why he is in the lineup. If one of the top 4 takes a penalty we get killed on the PK, because our 3rd pairing does not have a defensive defenseman that can play defense and block shots like Eminger who can't get into the lineup due to Gilroy's "stellar" offense.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
not a big fan of gilroy but to his credit he's stepped up and played well in the playoffs so far...

this type of deal is the only way i'd take him back, gotta lower that cap hit and if the kids can't beat him out for a spot in camp then they don't deserve to make it...i'd keep him over mccabe at the moment
I'd keep him over McCabe and Eminger. He has the one trait Ranger fans cannot tolerate in a defenseman; lack of physicality. Ask James Patrick and others. However, he is playing very well in this tight physical series and he is saving McCabe's slow ass bacon on shift after shift. For the right price, he should continue to develop and Ranger blue. The hate on him is way over the top and unwarranted. And he's a local kid. Where's the benefit of the doubt for a local kid?

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Well, he was out there because I believe both penalties were on PK defenseman, and Gilroy is much better than McCabe in that instance.
Somehow I doubt though that Gilroy is better than McCabe on the PK.

Old
Riche16
McCready guitar god

This is kinda a non-story isn't it?

Isn't this just Sather "officially" telling Gilroy that he has a chance of playing on NYR but not at a QO of 2.1

I dunno... sounds like he has a spot if he's willing to relaize that he won't be making more than he is now. Maybe less although I'm not sure what the rules are on that.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
As long as this doesn't stand in the way of Valentenko making the team, I don't care. But Gilroy is not a very good player, and he shouldn't be anything more than a 7th defenseman.
right now he's a 5th defenseman on a playoff team that is battling the #1 seed. Temper the hate, open your eyes and recognize the progress he's made.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
As usual you don't know what you're talking about. How do you know what you have, if you can't make some type of comparison?

Teams around the league are employing dmen that are inferior to Gilroy. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then I'm just wasting my time here.

If there was numerous options that are superior to Gilroy, teams around the league would be blessed with top-4 dmen playing on their bottom pairing.

You're just a Gilroy hater. You have proven it again and again with your elementary approach to anything Gilroy-related.
He or she is actually an Eminger lover and therefore a hater of any d-man playing over Super Steve. Who btw, will never lace up for the Rangers again.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

To play devil's advocate (and because I think Eminger is much better than Gilroy)- what has Gilroy done to warrant being in the lineup over Eminger?

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
To play devil's advocate (and because I think Eminger is much better than Gilroy)- what has Gilroy done to warrant being in the lineup over Eminger?
Same thing Christensen did to be in the lineup over Zuccarello.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Does anybody else see the Rangers (presumabely lowball) offer as polite way of saying "there is the door, buddy" and that Gilroy tries his luck at UFA instead?

Not if it's a multi-year offer.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:55 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Gilroy was out there because McD was in the box. Funny, though, how Gilroy gets blamed for letting up the PP goal when there were 4 other players on the ice and McD who took the bad penalty in the first place. Nevermind that we didn't score any goals either.

The bottom line is this. We have played 3 playoff games and Gilroy has been in the lineup over Eminger for every one of them. So whatever people see, or think they see, it isn't the same thing Torts sees, apparently.

Would I like someone better than Gilroy? Of course. But that doesn't make re-signing him a mistake. Just because he signs a contract, it doesn't mean he'll even be on the team. Some people are seriously overreacting.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I can't believe someone said they'd take ECHL Strudwick over Gilroy.

Not the biggest fan of Gilroy, but some of you guys have really short memories. Struds was terrible during his time here, as good of a teammate he was. Probably the worst full-time d-man the Rangers have had post-lockout.

Gilroy can be frustrating, but he at least isn't constantly out of position and can use his speed at times.
jason Strudwick and Dale Purinton are the two worst Ranger D-men of the last 20 year. Getting him back is funny.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:58 PM
SouvenirCity

Want this guy gone. All i remember are those early games with the MDZ - Gilroy pairing. Never seen such poor defensive zone hockey in my life.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
Same thing Christensen did to be in the lineup over Zuccarello.
There's wayyyyyyyy too much Zucc love on these boards. Dude looked lost in Game 1, yet some believe he should be on the second line, and starting over Christensen? Gimme a break. We don't need another guy who with the right breeze gets knocked off the puck.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:03 PM
ocarina

As long as the cap hit isn't over 1 mil, I don't see the harm in bringing him back.

Yes, he can be frustrating at times, but he has some good qualities in him. He is skilled with the puck, and he isn't bad at moving it (something that a d-man needs to be able to do in today's game), and he occasionally does something offensively (even if it isn't enough for a player of his style).

And like what GAGline said, if we find someone better, he can be demoted no problem.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Gilroy was out there because McD was in the box. Funny, though, how Gilroy gets blamed for letting up the PP goal when there were 4 other players on the ice and McD who took the bad penalty in the first place. Nevermind that we didn't score any goals either.

The bottom line is this. We have played 3 playoff games and Gilroy has been in the lineup over Eminger for every one of them. So whatever people see, or think they see, it isn't the same thing Torts sees, apparently.

Would I like someone better than Gilroy? Of course. But that doesn't make re-signing him a mistake. Just because he signs a contract, it doesn't mean he'll even be on the team. Some people are seriously overreacting.
why don't you watch replays of those goals on nhl.com and you will see that Gilroy played major role in those goals.

Nobody is overreacting, we are not going to get anywhere with Gilroy here, I rather overpay for a good all around vet or go after a real PP quarterback. There are only 6 spots for defensemen in the game, can't afford to give one of them on a softie who can't defend or score.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

at 550k, id keep him as a benchwarmer. thats about it. he sucks imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I just can't agree with that...Eminger started brutally but then really settled in and played much better than Gilroy did.
Than why isn't he playing in the most important games of the year against a team with a ton of talent up front? I'll wait.