HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Lidstrom playing hurt?

Old
04-19-2011, 07:54 AM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

vCash: 500
Make him retire after this season. He's obviously not producing up to what we expect, right?

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:32 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

I just don't think Lidstrom is capable of playing more than 25mins, i don't think he will play more than his season average of 23½minutes anytime in this playoffs

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:33 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
He's 41 years old and they had a two goal lead three minutes into the game. That's about it.
He played under 20 minutes in game 1 too though, when the game was close pretty much the whole way.

I think this is like the 07 playoffs for Nick - Babcock realized after the 06 playoffs that Nick had lost a quarter step, and he wouldn't be as effective playing 30 minutes a night. So he pulled him back a bit. Nick responded well. Same deal here. Nick has lost another half step, and Babcock is realizing that no matter how great a player is/was, sometimes 18-20 minutes of play from a 41 year old great player is more effective and efficient than 26 minutes.

Dude's 41 years old. How many 41 year olds do you know that can go bowling and not hurt, much less play playoff hockey?

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
He played under 20 minutes in game 1 too though, when the game was close pretty much the whole way.

I think this is like the 07 playoffs for Nick - Babcock realized after the 06 playoffs that Nick had lost a quarter step, and he wouldn't be as effective playing 30 minutes a night. So he pulled him back a bit. Nick responded well. Same deal here. Nick has lost another half step, and Babcock is realizing that no matter how great a player is/was, sometimes 18-20 minutes of play from a 41 year old great player is more effective and efficient than 26 minutes.

Dude's 41 years old. How many 41 year olds do you know that can go bowling and not hurt, much less play playoff hockey?
But he did see around the 25 min mark plenty of times this regular season and averaged 23. While I do think Babcock is realizing he's not what he has always been, I think 18 mins is a clear case of keeping him fresh. There is no way I can see Rafalski and Ericsson getting more time than him when the whole playoffs are on the line. However, I think it's wise to cut down his PK time, because especially around the crease is an area where he has dropped off the most imo.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:32 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I just don't think Lidstrom is capable of playing more than 25mins, i don't think he will play more than his season average of 23½minutes anytime in this playoffs
I know he is capable and if needs to he'll do it, with a smile.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:54 AM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

everything is fine...
when we have the lead why play him?

I am sure Lids is okay with this... limiting ice time now, to keep him well rested so we can go deep into the playoffs is good for me.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:57 AM
TorontoWingsFan

I suspect he's carrying an injury. All the more reason to try and finish off these yotes on Wednesday.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:00 AM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risotto View Post
i actually thought he looked pretty ordinary out there tonight. In the last minute when Babcock called the timeout, it was Stuart and Kronwall on the ice, not Lidstrom.
Well. I think the reason for it is because we were up by two. And, potentially there are harder opponents down the line.

Besides, it's a good way for the others to learn being on the ice in the final minutes. Playoff experience.

Last edited by SirKillalot: 04-19-2011 at 10:14 AM.
SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Yemack

Now that I think about it maybe I did over think a bit.

But it's just that I was little disappointed to see him turn in one of his somewhat worse performance last night.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
SlavaKozlov

He might be injured. He played the full 82 games averaging over 20 minutes a game as a 40 year old, and he will be 41 in about a week. On the other hand, Lidstrom was taking some shots. The hit from Pyett, the crosscheck from Doan after the whistle, etc... With the Wings up big, I have no problem resting Lidstrom some. If the Wings want a long playoff run, Lidstrom is going to be an important part, so play the younger guys more minutes when the game is seemingly had. If the games were tighter down to the finish, I bet Lidstrom would play more. I don't see this as an issue...

About him being "un-Lidstrom like", well, I think he is outplaying Norris Trophy Candidate Keith Yandle... that dude has been garbage, IMO.

SlavaKozlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
67coach

Babcock is being extremely smart. In this situation he is giving more ice time to the bottom pairing and enabling them to work better together under pressure and in the meantime he is resting the best defenseman in hockey...Genius tactics.

Look, we will play either Nashville or Anaheim in the next round, both these teams dump the puck in and come after your D men, especially Nashville and with the idiot comments by Colin Campbell that rule 48 is not in place to protect defenseman and no suspension handed out to Torres (A many time repeat offender) they are going to go after our top guys and think they can get away with it.

Lidstrom has basically had a mini vacation with a couple of light workouts (Games 1,2 & 3) He will be at his peak for the next round. It's off to the conferance finals for us baby, mark my words!!!

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I don't think Lidstrom has been Lidstrom this series, but I find it funny that when Lidstrom isn't GREAT he's touted by some as having a TERRIBLE game. There's no gray area with him!

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
But he did see around the 25 min mark plenty of times this regular season and averaged 23. While I do think Babcock is realizing he's not what he has always been, I think 18 mins is a clear case of keeping him fresh. There is no way I can see Rafalski and Ericsson getting more time than him when the whole playoffs are on the line. However, I think it's wise to cut down his PK time, because especially around the crease is an area where he has dropped off the most imo.
18 playoff minutes = 23 regular season minutes, roughly.

I think as long as the other 5 D play reasonably good defense, Babs will keep Nick's minutes down. When Rafalski has a game where he's -4 and coughs up 3 breakaways on silver platters, he may readjust. For now, he's sticking with this because even Salei is playing pretty well and he can get away with it.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post
Look, we will play either Nashville or Anaheim in the next round, both these teams dump the puck in and come after your D men, especially Nashville and with the idiot comments by Colin Campbell that rule 48 is not in place to protect defenseman and no suspension handed out to Torres (A many time repeat offender) they are going to go after our top guys and think they can get away with it.
The only way we play Nashville or Anaheim is if L.A. beats San Jose which isn't exactly a sure thing. I'd prepare for San Jose.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
67coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The only way we play Nashville or Anaheim is if L.A. beats San Jose which isn't exactly a sure thing. I'd prepare for San Jose.
Boy Oh Boy...I got carried away with myself there. You are exactly right....My Bad

Although having Lidstrom rested to play San Jose is a pretty bloody good idea as well.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavaKozlov View Post
About him being "un-Lidstrom like", well, I think he is outplaying Norris Trophy Candidate Keith Yandle... that dude has been garbage, IMO.
I think this whole passing of the torch thing was regarding Kronwall not Yandle.

Did Lidstrom outplay Kronwall? No. Is he capable of? that's the question.

I'm as big Lidstrom as anybody .. probably more than any of you. I understand it's touchy subject but it is what it is. Let's not try to make it sound like he was just fine.

He is 41 years old and not able to log tons of minute in every situation while someone else is getting more minutes than him. Do you really think Kronwall would have played more minute if Lidstrom was 30 or even 35 years old?

As for injury, nah I dont think so. I'm just saying he's slowing down and this team might be preparing for his possible departure.

Last edited by Yemack: 04-19-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I don't think Lidstrom has been Lidstrom this series, but I find it funny that when Lidstrom isn't GREAT he's touted by some as having a TERRIBLE game. There's no gray area with him!
I dont think people's negative assessment of Lidstrom last night wasn't any more exaggerated than you think people thought he was terrible with capital letters.

You've admit on occasions that you exaggerate to make some point and you don't really have to do that. If you got something to say to people, just say it.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I thought LA was by far the weakest playoff team with their injuries, but they've been really good. A bounce away from going home up 2-0. I wouldn't hand the series to the Sharks just yet, even if they are the vastly superior team. We of all fanbases know that doesn't mean a team will win a series. I think that one goes 7 games, which is great news.

Vancouver gets 10 or so days off to pick up some rust after waxing Chicago in 4, then the Ducks and Preds continue to beat each other to a pulp, and either LA takes out the Sharks and the Wings play the banged-up winner of the 4-5 series or they get a Sharks team that went to 7 against the Kings.

Assuming the Wings don't cause us to quadruple facepalm and blow this series....

Old
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
I dont think people's negative assessment of Lidstrom last night wasn't any more exaggerated than you think people thought he was terrible with capital letters.

You've admit on occasions that you exaggerate to make some point and you don't really have to do that. If you got something to say to people, just say it.
I'm not exaggerating anything, in the GDT people made comments that Lidstrom was awful last night, when it wasn't the case. Wasn't his best game, but awful?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I'm not exaggerating anything, in the GDT people made comments that Lidstrom was awful last night, when it wasn't the case. Wasn't his best game, but awful?
well in that case I guess i jumped on it a bit. I didnt really read GDT as I was watching on TV and had no notebook.

Still in GDT, people tend to get very emotional after every play. They think the goal just scored is the greatest goal ever and the check just threw was most devastating hit ever. I think that's the reason why I mostly participate in GDT.

Old
04-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Nordic*

I've only seen one of the three games so far (first I think), and I thought he looked really good?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
67coach

Can anyone confirm???

I just received a text from a friend that said that Lidstrom would be a healthy scratch tonight. He said the lines would be:

Raffi - Stuart
Kronner - Kindl
Selei - Ericsson.

I hope this is not so. No need to sit Lids nut limiting his ice time is the right thing to do.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
crashman

Quote:
Can anyone confirm???

I just received a text from a friend that said that Lidstrom would be a healthy scratch tonight. He said the lines would be:

Raffi - Stuart
Kronner - Kindl
Salei - Ericsson.

I hope this is not so. No need to sit Lids nut limiting his ice time is the right thing to do.
If he's scratched then he's hurt. You don't "healthy scratch" your captain unless he's dealing with some kind of ailment, I don't care if he's 50 years old.

but no need to worry about it until we hear it from a more reliable source.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Can anyone confirm???

Raffi - Stuart
Kronner - Kindl
Selei - Ericsson.

I can't see any official confirmation anywhere. But if he is injured or has a slight problem, I'd sit him. Even if he had a broken nail, I'd sit the guy, we have a comfortable lead, we are more than capable of winning tonight if the other defensemen show up and play like they did last game.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Can anyone confirm???

Raffi - Stuart
Kronner - Kindl
Selei - Ericsson.

maybe that's the line they practiced with. I would also wait for the reliable source.

Lidstrom being healthy scratched for for later round, I think that's one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

In fact, if he's scratched, I'm 500% sure he's injured.