HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Three Stars, Playoff Edition - 4/18/11 - Round 1 Game 3

View Poll Results: Who were tonight's three stars?
Howard 32 71.11%
Filppula 26 57.78%
Kronwall 30 66.67%
Franzen 4 8.89%
Ericsson 2 4.44%
Salei 7 15.56%
Helm 25 55.56%
Miller 4 8.89%
Hudler 1 2.22%
Abdelkader 1 2.22%
Lidstrom 1 2.22%
Rafalski 1 2.22%
Stuart 6 13.33%
Datsyuk 4 8.89%
Whitney, I guess 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
crashman

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
People get too caught up with putting points up points in the regular season. If this team was always battling for a playoff spot it would hold more credence, but if guys like Fil and Franzen have rough stretches in the regular season but always turn it on for the playoffs, who cares?
I agree for the most part, but Franzen's goalless streak was pretty discouraging because he scored 5 goals in one game, then went like 20+ games with 1 or 2 goals.

At least Filppula's regular season mediocrity is consistent!

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

vCash: 500
Helm
Kronner
Salei

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:54 AM
TorontoWingsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
The guy puts up 40-50 points
Okay, slow down. He's put up 40pts 1 time. You can't blame people from wanting more from him considering the talent we know he has.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:17 AM
67coach

1) Howard
2) Helm
3) Miller

I had to put Jimmy at #1 (I am sure Capt Bob is dancing) but I truly thought that Darren Helm was the dynamo that started all of the Wings offense last night.

After a, well lets call it, CHEAP penalty call for hitting Special Ed on Saturday, he went out and did the exact same thing two minutes in to the game and (Low and Behold) no penalty and a goal.

I am very impressed with Helm

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post
but I truly thought that Darren Helm was the dynamo that started all of the Wings offense last night.

After a, well lets call it, CHEAP penalty call for hitting Special Ed on Saturday, he went out and did the exact same thing two minutes in to the game and (Low and Behold) no penalty and a goal.

I am very impressed with Helm
Agree 100%. That hit was the same kind of hit. Dump, chase, knock the D-Man into the boards shoulder on shoulder. No call there. And then he gets a great pass out to Salei who puts it away. (Hey that rhymes)

Helm is awesome. Shows you what a fast set of wheels and youthful enthusiasm can do for you even without Datsyuk hands.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:03 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan View Post
Okay, slow down. He's put up 40pts 1 time. You can't blame people from wanting more from him considering the talent we know he has.
He had 35 points in 55 games last season and 39 in 71 games this season. That's a 52 point pace and a 45 point pace, right in the range I mentioned. He just has to stay healthy.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Harnessed in Slums

1. Howie - he's playing at a higher level which is a great sign.
2. Kronwall - another guy who seems to be playing better at the right time.
3. Fil - game winner.

HM: Mule, Pavs, Helm, Abdelkader and Miller. Good team effort thus far. It'd be awesome to knock the Yotes out in four straight.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I wasn't impressed with Filppula's regular season performance or Franzen's cold streak in the second half of the season, but if we do make the playoffs relatively comfortably and these guys step it up in the post season, serious, who does care? Fantasy hockey owners?

Flip and Mule showed up when it matters. Especially last night where Filppula was great in all zones. When we need to clear the zone after sustained pressure from Phoenix (very rare, granted), he was there. He created plays and got the goal. He's good in my books.

Last edited by Heaton: 04-19-2011 at 01:48 PM.
ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:54 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I wasn't impressed with Filppula's regular season performance or Franzen's cold streak in the second half of the season, but if we do make the playoffs relatively comfortably and these guys step it up in the post season, serious, who does care? Fantasy hockey owners?

Flip and Mule showed up when it matters. Especially last night where Filppula was great in all zones. When we need to clear the zone after sustained pressure from Phoenix (very rare, granted), he was there. He created plays and got the goal. He's good in my books.
This and what Heaton said.. If we were doing the dance of death with playoff races every year I'd be more worried, but we're not. We have players that know when it's time to elevate their game and they usually do so. Now if we could get Cleary going aswell.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
This and what Heaton said.. If we were doing the dance of death with playoff races every year I'd be more worried, but we're not. We have players that know when it's time to elevate their game and they usually do so. Now if we could get Cleary going aswell.
I think Cleary has been good so far. He hasnt contributed on score sheet but he did his job very well IMO.

However, it seems like his shooting lost some bite compared to beginning of the season.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I was impressed with Flip in game 3.
I haven't been impressed with Franzen yet.

I've been impressed with Datsyuk and Helm every game.

I don't think either players have been playoff studs you're making them out to be.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post

I don't think either players have been playoff studs you're making them out to be.
Playoff studs? Come on now, where did I say they were playoff studs?

Flip stepped up and looked like our number 2 center. There is no denying that. Datsyuk's line overall had a quiet game relative to the first two games, but Franzen scored a nice goal and contributed somewhat to whatever offensive opportunity his line had.

Flip and Franzen are far from studs though and I never said they were. Datsyuk on the other hand...

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Franzen and Filppula are difference makers in the playoffs. If you're expecting them to play at Zetterberg/Datsyuk levels then you're always going to be disappointed as they're obviously notch(es) below.

All Franzen does is produce, produce, produce, produce and that's what counts. Everything else is nitpicking. He has room for improvement, obviously. I only see him getting better.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:27 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

How about Darren Helm level?
Is too much to ask to show up and play hard in the playoffs now, too?

Datsyuk scored only one goal in game 1. But he was, universally, the first star of the game.
Datsyuk scored no points in game 3 but was focal point and demanded attention at all times,

Point Production is overrated. Production is often a byproduct of other people's work.

What difference has Franzen made this series? When he did get knocked out, Datsyuk went nuts putting up points.

People might look at Phx's powerplay numbers and think they've done well on special teams.
The fact of the matter is, when the special teams had chance to a "difference maker," they choked.
They put the numbers when the game is out of reach

Old
04-21-2011, 06:55 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post

Fillpula 5 points in 4 games.
Franzen 3 points (2G & 1A) in 3 games.
They produce.

But Helm is great, no doubt.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:11 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Fillpula 5 points in 4 games.
Franzen 3 points (2G & 1A) in 3 games.
They produce.

But Helm is great, no doubt.
I voted Flip first star last game.
Let's see if he can play with that kind of energy on a regular basis..

On the other hand, we were down Franzen and didn't miss a beat. I don't think he's been among the 3 best Red Wings yet.