HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christensen...

Old
04-19-2011, 12:10 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Obviously it isn't, but it isn't just the confidence, he also has no work ethic and no grit and is satisfied with mediocrity.

I am really amazed how Tort who likes work ethic in his players keeps this guy around as if he is his illegitimate son.
While it's true that he isn't a very "gritty" player, I don't think there's ever been any indication that he lacks work ethic. I would ascribe most of his errors to mental mistakes, not effort problems.

And come on. "Satisfied with mediocrity?" Now you're just projecting the worst possible things onto him. Makes it seem like you have a vendetta against the guy or something.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:22 AM
trilobyte

Christensen is a puzzle.

He made a similar shot earlier this season, though I think it may have been even more lucky and less of a snipe.
Regardless, this guy has a talent that lots of players could not gain if they stayed an hour over on every practice session for the rest of their careers.

Overall, I cannot love his game. He just doesn't assert himself. I appreciate what he does such as the other night, and if he is kept around because he is a decent value (which I cannot argue when looking at the dollar figure) I will still wish it did not have to happen.

I will still wish that NYR did not have to rely on the spotty play of players like Christensen.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Rangers44*

Even if Christensen's cap hit was 0, I wouldn't want him on the team. He is an addition by subtraction. That spot should go to someone who has grit and can kill penalties. This guy is way too one dimensional, or maybe half dimensional.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:33 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Christensen has AHL skill on an NHL team.

if he was in the AHL he would be an All-Star.
no, he has AHL consistency. And an AHL state of mind, perhaps. He clearly has the NHL skillset. He has a decent set of wheels and really nice hands, and a wicked wrister.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:35 AM
RangerFan10

Christensen's work ethic is fine and when it hasn't been he's been benched.

Sure, he may not be that physical and doesn't play a "jam" style, but he forechecks pretty hard, doesn't usually get caught napping in his own zone (I'm not sure why people don't think he's good in his own end...everything I've seen says otherwise. I guess it's just a reputation thing.) and he's been pretty versatile for us. Despite the Avery incident, it seems like he's pretty well liked as well.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:38 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Problem with E.C. is that he's useless unless you're playing him top 6 minutes and with top 6 players and he doesn't deserve to be playing on the top two lines. That's the main reason why we can't generate offense, because Erik ****ing Christensen is getting top minutes a decent amount of the time.

For the money he's making he's been fine but it's mainly a by product of the time and linemates. You play him on the 3rd or 4th line permanently and his point total will decrease even more.
I don't agree. He's played good games on the 3rd and 4th line. He and Avery, ironically enough, have really good chemistry.

I think too many posters on this board are quick to pin players as "top 6 or bust" players since we had Zherdev.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Christensen has above average to WELL above average hands, speed, vision, and shot. He has a very very low hockey iq though imho, and his passion level, or heart or whatever you want to call it are putrid. every once in a while you see a flash of brilliance because of the skill set, but usually its just...blah blah blah.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Brandon Prusts Heart and with Christensens skill set would be a 30/30/60 player imho.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:14 AM
RangerFan10

IMO I don't think Christensen lacks heart. Last season down the stretch he was playing dinged up (didn't he have a separated shoulder?) and kept us going with points in the games Gaborik was out.

Too often, because high energy guys like Prust and Cally are the face of "heart," if a player doesn't hit everything that moves and fly around the ice with reckless abandon for their body they don't have heart. Nikolai Zherdev didn't have heart. I don't see that with Christensen, I just see a calm player that plays a different style. He's hardly lazy. I don't see him gliding on the ice. I don't see him floating in the defensive zone.

He just doesn't have it all together, and you're right when you say he has a low hockey IQ. Confidence and hockey IQ are the two main things holding him back, to me at least.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
IMO I don't think Christensen lacks heart. Last season down the stretch he was playing dinged up (didn't he have a separated shoulder?) and kept us going with points in the games Gaborik was out.

Too often, because high energy guys like Prust and Cally are the face of "heart," if a player doesn't hit everything that moves and fly around the ice with reckless abandon for their body they don't have heart. Nikolai Zherdev didn't have heart. I don't see that with Christensen, I just see a calm player that plays a different style. He's hardly lazy. I don't see him gliding on the ice. I don't see him floating in the defensive zone.

He just doesn't have it all together, and you're right when you say he has a low hockey IQ. Confidence and hockey IQ are the two main things holding him back, to me at least.
i just don't see him giving that extra bit needed to make him turn the corner in terms of being a fringe nhler, to being an nhl regular.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
certainly no better than Parenteau, we ditched. I wonder why. he wuld have been our top scorer or very nearly.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:20 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i just don't see him giving that extra bit needed to make him turn the corner in terms of being a fringe nhler, to being an nhl regular.
i think that little bit extra would be to get a better grasp of the game and learn to play with confidence all the time though.

He's seemed to try and play with a little more and rise up to the occasion this series so far. He's been (trying to be) more physical by finishing all his checks (if you'd call them that).

Old
04-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
I don't agree. He's played good games on the 3rd and 4th line. He and Avery, ironically enough, have really good chemistry.

I think too many posters on this board are quick to pin players as "top 6 or bust" players since we had Zherdev.
Avery has good chemistry with just about anyone, so don't blow it out of proportion.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:42 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Avery has good chemistry with just about anyone, so don't blow it out of proportion.
a) I don't think that's true, because if it were, Avery wouldn't have found himself as a healthy scratch as many times as he did.
b) I wasn't blowing anything out of proportion, I was simply stating Christensen can be an affective 3rd and 4th line player. Not every bottom 6 player has to be Ryan Callahan or Brandon Prust.

Old
04-19-2011, 03:37 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

consistency and confidence. He has shown how good he can be but this season, thoose stretches are too few and too far between. He had a nice stretch in February going 7 points in 8 games and last season once he made the initial transition-over and got over his confidence issues went 26 points in 41 games where he'd get a burst of points without going pointless too many games. I think it was a major blow to his confidence not being able to start the season where he left off with Prospal and Gaborik and he has struggled ever since to find that confidence he seems to require to play well. He might also need a healthy snake-bite-free Gaborik to play well. If those three can get their line running again, oh the damage we could do!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
a) I don't think that's true, because if it were, Avery wouldn't have found himself as a healthy scratch as many times as he did.
b) I wasn't blowing anything out of proportion, I was simply stating Christensen can be an affective 3rd and 4th line player. Not every bottom 6 player has to be Ryan Callahan or Brandon Prust.
a) thank the stupid coach

b) no he can't, to be an effective 3rd/4th liner you need to be working hard, grinding, backchecking, forechecking, good boardwork, going into the corners, solid defensively, preferably able to kill penalties and block shots, able to crash the net.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
consistency and confidence. He has shown how good he can be but this season, thoose stretches are too few and too far between. He had a nice stretch in February going 7 points in 8 games and last season once he made the initial transition-over and got over his confidence issues went 26 points in 41 games where he'd get a burst of points without going pointless too many games. I think it was a major blow to his confidence not being able to start the season where he left off with Prospal and Gaborik and he has struggled ever since to find that confidence he seems to require to play well. He might also need a healthy snake-bite-free Gaborik to play well. If those three can get their line running again, oh the damage we could do!
He hasn't really shown how good he can be unless you mean the shootouts, which is not the same as actually playing. I rather have Marcel Hossa at least that guy was useful grinder, killed penalties, hit hard.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:59 AM
eco's bones

Relative to salary he's good value. If he were a more consistent scorer--in the 45 point per season range--he'd be a $2 mil dollar player anyway and you can only have so many of them if you already have several big ticket players. In that case he probably would never have been on the waiver wire--never become a Ranger and we'd be talking about some other waiver pickup with inconsistency issues.

Christensen is filler and most every team has players like that. He does make a major difference in an outcome now and again but for the most part he's just taking up some minutes. As long as he's not hurting you much defensively it's not that big of a deal.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

It is all confidence with him. He even said himself that when he gets a point early on, he usually has a much better game because he has that confidence the entire game. Maybe he should get someone to help him with his confidence because he is very, very skilled.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:

I just don't see it. He has top 6 talent but just can't put it together. He's not that great defensively which is important for the bottom 6 players and disappears for long stretches of time. He's alright as a spare forward but on a good team, I don't think he cracks the 12 forwards nor should he.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
beef 4 lunch

he blindly shot the puck at the net and it happened hit the one spot that was open. pure luck. only luck. he does have a good shot though.

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Tw0Shoes

He's one of the reasons the Rangers are actually in the playoffs. They only made it in by 2 points, and he had 3 game deciding goals in the shootout.
It was a damn good shot, might have been a bit lucky, but you've got to be good to be lucky.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
He's one of the reasons the Rangers are actually in the playoffs. They only made it in by 2 points, and he had 3 game deciding goals in the shootout.
It was a damn good shot, might have been a bit lucky, but you've got to be good to be lucky.
wow what fallacy of logic.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
wasn't it you that said the Rangers owed their playoff berth to Zuccarellos shootout ability?

Old
04-19-2011, 01:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Not in the slightest. We're in the playoffs on the strength of our performances in shootouts. He was our best performer in shootouts. If you replace him with an average fourth line player, we potentially drop a few points over the course of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
wasn't it you that said the Rangers owed their playoff berth to Zuccarellos shootout ability?
Probably. Don't look for any consistency when a poster has an agenda.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote