HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Abdelkader

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2011, 09:08 AM
  #1
probertrules24
Registered User
 
probertrules24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
Abdelkader

I was just looking at some stats this morning and found some interesting stuff.

He is second in total team faceoff percentage 26.2 taken. He is 30 of 49 taken for 61.2% for tops on the team for anybody who has taken more then 5 faceoffs.

I think the more surprising stat is he only has 2 hits in 3 games. Rafalski, Hudler and Lidstrom all have more.

I think he has been playing great even with out the hitting I expected. Just curious what everybody else's thoughts on his play has been.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
  #2
Yemack
Registered User
 
Yemack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,176
vCash: 500
I thought he struggled early in the game. He just couldnt manage the puck right way it seemed.

Towards the end of the game, he was better though.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:37 AM
  #3
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
His hitting is low because he is playing second line center and focused more on playing strong defense.

He really does a lot of the little things right, they talked about him on cbc in the intermission. He has really put it together and even if he isnt producing alot of points or laying guys out, he is stll playing great playoff defensive hockey. Hes really shown another side to his game I think and his potential seems to be a bit higher in my opinion now

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:43 AM
  #4
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,350
vCash: 500
Impossible! The hockey experts at HF Boards told us it was a mistake to play him as the 2nd line center. Mike Babcock is clueless as usual, he'd get totally pwned at fantasy hockey.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:45 AM
  #5
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,766
vCash: 500
To me at least, he hasn't looked /out/ of place in his second line role. I like the idea of putting together 3 relatively big and physical forwards on one line. Cleary and Abby can grind, Bert is big and has skill. Cleary and Abby aren't slouches with skill either.

And I think it's amazing that it allows us to put Fil and Huds on a third line.

Do I think Abs is, at this point, a legit 2nd line center? No. But he's playing it well enough to where I don't see a need to move him.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
  #6
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Impossible! The hockey experts at HF Boards told us it was a mistake to play him as the 2nd line center. Mike Babcock is clueless as usual, he'd get totally pwned at fantasy hockey.
Maybe that second line didn't lose the game for us but it sure didn't look good. At all.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
  #7
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
I was just looking at some stats this morning and found some interesting stuff.

He is second in total team faceoff percentage 26.2 taken. He is 30 of 49 taken for 61.2% for tops on the team for anybody who has taken more then 5 faceoffs.

I think the more surprising stat is he only has 2 hits in 3 games. Rafalski, Hudler and Lidstrom all have more.

I think he has been playing great even with out the hitting I expected. Just curious what everybody else's thoughts on his play has been.
I think the Abby line spends too much time in its own end.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:54 AM
  #8
Osgood As It Gets
Tatar Sauce
 
Osgood As It Gets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,088
vCash: 651
I thought that line was decent. They didn't get a lot of chances, but they didn't look out of place either. Bertuzzi has good hands and Cleary and Abdelkader really grind it out in the corners and on the boards.

Osgood As It Gets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
  #9
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Impossible! The hockey experts at HF Boards told us it was a mistake to play him as the 2nd line center. Mike Babcock is clueless as usual, he'd get totally pwned at fantasy hockey.
What in the hell are you laughing about?
Abdelkader 0G OA 0P
Cleary 0G 0A 0P
Bertuzzi 0G 1A 1P
As a line, they have are +1. Given the way this series has gone, I think it's fair to sauy this has been our worst line, quite easily.

On many of the shifts in which the Wings were pinned in their own end yesterday, it was the Abdelkader line out there.
I thought Bert looked really good in game 1. Otherwise, this line has bee about as ineffective as I expected.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
  #10
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
What in the hell are you laughing about?
Abdelkader 0G OA 0P
Cleary 0G 0A 0P
Bertuzzi 0G 1A 1P
As a line, they have are +1. Given the way this series has gone, I think it's fair to sauy this has been our worst line, quite easily.

On many of the shifts in which the Wings were pinned in their own end yesterday, it was the Abdelkader line out there.
I thought Bert looked really good in game 1. Otherwise, this line has bee about as ineffective as I expected.
Of course you look at the stats to say if the line has been playing good.

Look at how ineffective Doan has been at even strength. This line is taking on the Doan line and leaving Datsyuk to have free reign on the yotes.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:48 PM
  #11
Yemack
Registered User
 
Yemack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Of course you look at the stats to say if the line has been playing good.

Look at how ineffective Doan has been at even strength. This line is taking on the Doan line and leaving Datsyuk to have free reign on the yotes.
There is no denying Abby wasn't on his best this game. He made some good decisions but he also didnt manage the puck right way quite a few times.

That's not what you expect out of your 2nd line centre. If I remember correctly, Flip replaced Abby for quite a bit later in games. IMO, the best player on that line last night was Cleary without shadow of doubt.

I'm not saying he's been a total failure though just in case some of you only think in terms of black and white.

Like Babcock mentioned, the game isn't slow enough for him yet it seems. Though he tries hard which I really like.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
  #12
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 15,009
vCash: 500
His line has been our worst this series. His faceoff % may be good but ideally he should be on the wing. I don't mind him playing C due to injuries though.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:04 PM
  #13
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Worst is a relative thing when talking about being up 3-0. Less effective may be a wiser choice of words.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  #14
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 500
I appreciate effort as much as the next guy but Abby does not have the skills (yet) to be a second line player or a center so I don't see how he adds up to second line center.

Hudler and Flip have looked pretty good, how about rewarding them with top 6 assignments? Oh wait Babcock doesn't like either.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
  #15
Adityase
Registered User
 
Adityase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Being the "2nd line center" when the 3rd line is seemingly more skilled and the 4th line is playing better is kinda... eh.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
  #16
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
It seems this experiment of Babcock with Abdelkader centring 2nd line is working just fine, though many of us wondered how it would work.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:03 PM
  #17
fitzcarraldo
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Just a note about Abdelkader's 2 hits in 3 games stat: Hits, I believe, are recorded only when contact separates a player from the puck. So he has been playing physical, just not so much on the forecheck.

fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:10 PM
  #18
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 15,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Worst is a relative thing when talking about being up 3-0. Less effective may be a wiser choice of words.
I meant to put a disclaimer of some sort next to worst, but forgot.
I didn't mean it as them being awful. As you said least effective is probably a better description.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
  #19
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,350
vCash: 500
Phoenix scored the first goal of the series. It was an even-strength goal. They haven't scored a single even-strength goal since when the game hadn't already decided. In fact they only have one other even-strength goal and that was in the 3rd period in Game 1 when the Wings were up 4-1.

So that's two straight games without an even strength goal. Not impressive in fantasy hockey land but important come playoff time. Detroit on the other hand has made Bryzgalov look fairly pedestrian.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:21 PM
  #20
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
I think it's fair to say, though, that his line hasn't been very good.
Every other line has had at least one good game. Last night, Hudler-Flip-Miller was very good at times.
The Datsyuk line dominated game 2 and played well in the other games.
The Helm line set the tone last night has has been, for the most part, keeping the play in the other team's zone.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
  #21
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,766
vCash: 500
imo, if the second line can grind some and play relatively even hockey (which they have so far) and let flip and huds go crazy on the third line (they aren't looking too shabby so far) then I'm okay with that. Once Z comes back, obviously, we have a ton better options for second line center. That's what losing a #1/2 center and top3 franchise player on a team does to you, it forces you to dig deep. I'd say Abby has been playing fine so far, granted, against Phoenix.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:20 AM
  #22
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Just a note about Abdelkader's 2 hits in 3 games stat: Hits, I believe, are recorded only when contact separates a player from the puck. So he has been playing physical, just not so much on the forecheck.
Yeah, well, that would require the 2nd line not spending half the game in the defensive zone....

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:35 AM
  #23
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Of course you look at the stats to say if the line has been playing good.

Look at how ineffective Doan has been at even strength. This line is taking on the Doan line and leaving Datsyuk to have free reign on the yotes.
According to behindthenet, DATSYUK actually spends the most time of all forwards against Doan. And, of course, it helps that Lidstrom and Stuart see the most time against Doan of any defenseman. But don't let the facts get in the way...

That said, I don't think ANYONE should be talking about how "great" the Wings have been defensively in this series. This team's #1 center is Eric Belanger, and they have 1 decent top sixer on the entire squad.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
  #24
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post

That said, I don't think ANYONE should be talking about how "great" the Wings have been defensively in this series. This team's #1 center is Eric Belanger, and they have 1 decent top sixer on the entire squad.
Agreed.
People like to call me a pessimist, and I had the Wings winning this in 6 (and likely an easy 6).
Phoenix just didn't have the horses. They're special teams sucked when they needed them and do well when the game is out of reach. Their forecheck and phsyicality have been erratic. Their defense looks old and busted. And their ace in the hole, Bryzgalov, looks like crap.

It's looking like Detroit vs. SJ in Round II.
How will Detroit's defense stand up to a real attack? The nice thing is, it sure doesn't seem that hard to get one past Niemi.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
  #25
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
According to behindthenet, DATSYUK actually spends the most time of all forwards against Doan. And, of course, it helps that Lidstrom and Stuart see the most time against Doan of any defenseman. But don't let the facts get in the way...

That said, I don't think ANYONE should be talking about how "great" the Wings have been defensively in this series. This team's #1 center is Eric Belanger, and they have 1 decent top sixer on the entire squad.
While we easily and clearly lead the series 3 to 0, one has to say that our defence and PK have not been good. We did not need them, but they can be better.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.