HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Christensen...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
  #51
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
wasn't it you that said the Rangers owed their playoff berth to Zuccarellos shootout ability?
no don't think so.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:41 PM
  #52
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Not in the slightest. We're in the playoffs on the strength of our performances in shootouts. He was our best performer in shootouts. If you replace him with an average fourth line player, we potentially drop a few points over the course of the season.
We would be out of playoffs if Carolina won their last game, primarily because of the shootouts.

If instead of Christensen we had let's say some Fedotenko clone that came to us for a tryout, we would have likely allowed fewer goals, especially on the PK and would have more regular wins.

BTW rookie Zuccarello also had 5 shootout goals.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
  #53
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
He's Gaborik Light... skilled, but lacking mental toughness.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
  #54
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
This is a guy has got good skill and ability to score a goal like he did last game. Id keep him around until there are better options available as a swing man in the line-up.


Last edited by satrabyk: 04-19-2011 at 01:58 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
  #55
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
We would be out of playoffs if Carolina won their last game, primarily because of the shootouts.

If instead of Christensen we had let's say some Fedotenko clone that came to us for a tryout, we would have likely allowed fewer goals, especially on the PK and would have more regular wins.

BTW rookie Zuccarello also had 5 shootout goals.
Now that's fallacy of logic.

And I don't see that PK argument at all. We had enough player capable of killing penalties and it also wasn't a weakness at all. Now if you had said we could've had someone boosting our PP instead you might have a point. You usually don't get these players as tryouts though...

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:06 PM
  #56
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,949
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
We would be out of playoffs if Carolina won their last game, primarily because of the shootouts.

If instead of Christensen we had let's say some Fedotenko clone that came to us for a tryout, we would have likely allowed fewer goals, especially on the PK and would have more regular wins.

BTW rookie Zuccarello also had 5 shootout goals.
Right, and if we had some Evgeny Malkin clone instead of Christensen, we'd have scored way more goals and won more games as a result. If we had Pavel Datsyuk, then Stepan's contributions would look pretty meek, right? You don't ignore a player's contributions because another player on another team could have performed better.

Christensen didn't construct the roster. Sather did, and Glen employs Christensen as a depth forward who excels in shootouts. Christensen did a decent job at what was asked of him. One of his primary responsibilities is to perform in the shootout, and in that respect he was light out.

Rookie Zuccarello, with his shootout success, was also a reason that we made the playoffs. What's your point? We're discussing Christensen here.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
  #57
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Obviously it isn't, but it isn't just the confidence, he also has no work ethic and no grit and is satisfied with mediocrity.

I am really amazed how Tort who likes work ethic in his players keeps this guy around as if he is his illegitimate son.
He keeps him around to try to get Gaborik going. Along with Prospal, he's one of the two guys that has any chemistry with Gabs.

Also, EC doesn't have grit; he's a total perimeter player. But don't mistake that for laziness or apathy. He cares and doesn't glide around. Just don't expect him to lay a big hit in the corners.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:13 PM
  #58
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Now that's fallacy of logic.

And I don't see that PK argument at all. We had enough player capable of killing penalties and it also wasn't a weakness at all. Now if you had said we could've had someone boosting our PP instead you might have a point. You usually don't get these players as tryouts though...
Actually you're right, we would be out because Carolina won the season series against us.

But you are wrong, we did not have enough players to kill penalties due to many injuries. Renney used 3 sets of forwards to kill penalties when our PK was one of the best. Tort mostly uses 2 sets, these forwards get too tired out and worn out to score goals.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:13 PM
  #59
DrAStuart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
We would be out of playoffs if Carolina won their last game, primarily because of the shootouts.

If instead of Christensen we had let's say some Fedotenko clone that came to us for a tryout, we would have likely allowed fewer goals, especially on the PK and would have more regular wins.

BTW rookie Zuccarello also had 5 shootout goals.
Really not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying you would rather not have those shoot-out wins? Of course we would have all like regulation wins, but we didn't and if we hadn't won those shoot-outs then Carolina or no Carolina the team doesn't make the play-offs.

The choice isn't "do we want to win in regulation or win in a shoot-out?" Everyone wants a regulation time win. But by the time you get to a shoot-out, the choice is a different one -- do we want the extra point or are we okay with just one point? If that's the choice, I want the extra point...apparently you don't care if we have the extra point or not. At least that is what it seems.

Not sure what the whole 'Feds clone' thing is supposed to mean. Yeah, if we had different guys we would have a different team. That's kind of a no-brainer. It is not like this mythical Feds-clone showed up, wowed everyone and then was tossed to the curb. No such guy showed up for a tryout. We can all fantasize about the guys we want on the team, but that is all it is. And what if the mythical clone got a mythical concussion? Then where would be -- not killing penalties and losing shoot-outs, that's where.

Two can play that game

Yes, Zucc got 5 SO goals (but it took him more shots to do it). Again, not sure what that is supposed to prove. Is it that Zucc is every bit as good at the shoot-out as EC? Maybe he is, but EC has a track record over the last five years that puts him at about 5th in the league amongst active players in terms of SO% and third over all in terms of game winners. If your point is that we only need one shoot out guy, then the smart choice is EC over Zucc every time...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
  #60
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
He keeps him around to try to get Gaborik going. Along with Prospal, he's one of the two guys that has any chemistry with Gabs.

Also, EC doesn't have grit; he's a total perimeter player. But don't mistake that for laziness or apathy. He cares and doesn't glide around. Just don't expect him to lay a big hit in the corners.
When Gaborik scored his trick(s) I think he was with Avery and Anisimov.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:18 PM
  #61
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Right, and if we had some Evgeny Malkin clone instead of Christensen, we'd have scored way more goals and won more games as a result. If we had Pavel Datsyuk, then Stepan's contributions would look pretty meek, right? You don't ignore a player's contributions because another player on another team could have performed better.

Christensen didn't construct the roster. Sather did, and Glen employs Christensen as a depth forward who excels in shootouts. Christensen did a decent job at what was asked of him. One of his primary responsibilities is to perform in the shootout, and in that respect he was light out.

Rookie Zuccarello, with his shootout success, was also a reason that we made the playoffs. What's your point? We're discussing Christensen here.
You convinced me, Extra Effort award was wrongly given to Prust, Christensen was lights out for us and deserves it.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
  #62
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
Really not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying you would rather not have those shoot-out wins? Of course we would have all like regulation wins, but we didn't and if we hadn't won those shoot-outs then Carolina or no Carolina the team doesn't make the play-offs.

The choice isn't "do we want to win in regulation or win in a shoot-out?" Everyone wants a regulation time win. But by the time you get to a shoot-out, the choice is a different one -- do we want the extra point or are we okay with just one point? If that's the choice, I want the extra point...apparently you don't care if we have the extra point or not. At least that is what it seems.

Not sure what the whole 'Feds clone' thing is supposed to mean. Yeah, if we had different guys we would have a different team. That's kind of a no-brainer. It is not like this mythical Feds-clone showed up, wowed everyone and then was tossed to the curb. No such guy showed up for a tryout. We can all fantasize about the guys we want on the team, but that is all it is. And what if the mythical clone got a mythical concussion? Then where would be -- not killing penalties and losing shoot-outs, that's where.

Two can play that game

Yes, Zucc got 5 SO goals (but it took him more shots to do it). Again, not sure what that is supposed to prove. Is it that Zucc is every bit as good at the shoot-out as EC? Maybe he is, but EC has a track record over the last five years that puts him at about 5th in the league amongst active players in terms of SO% and third over all in terms of game winners. If your point is that we only need one shoot out guy, then the smart choice is EC over Zucc every time...
Yes, but Zuc did not consult with our backup goalie, if he would do that the Extra Effort award would surely be in his little hobbit knapsack.

Regarding Fedotenko what I am saying is there will be plenty good players coming crawling to us looking for a contract this summer as well as our prospects like Grachev, Hagelin, etc. to waste roster spot on Christensen.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
  #63
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
You convinced me, Extra Effort award was wrongly given to Prust, Christensen was lights out for us and deserves it.
Holy overreaction.

Maybe DEPTH PLAYERS shouldn't be expected to perform at top 6 standards by this fan base. Some of you think a second line should perform like a first line, a bottom 6 should be able to put up second like numbers, and frankly it's ridiculous.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
  #64
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,949
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
You convinced me, Extra Effort award was wrongly given to Prust, Christensen was lights out for us and deserves it.
Hahah, yep, that's exactly what I said. Bravo!

I can see we're done here.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:24 PM
  #65
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Actually you're right, we would be out because Carolina won the season series against us.

But you are wrong, we did not have enough players to kill penalties due to many injuries. Renney used 3 sets of forwards to kill penalties when our PK was one of the best. Tort mostly uses 2 sets, these forwards get too tired out and worn out to score goals.
If there were no shootouts we would've ended up with 84 points to Carolina's 86 points. So with no shootouts we would have straight out missed the playoffs. To say they could've been the reason we might have missed them is laughable.

And it doesn't matter how many forwards Renney used, despite the injuries we had a well enough PK that was good for 10th in the league. To me that's more than adequate to make the playoffs and definitely was not a weakness, so adding another penalty killer in Christensen's place would have had a minimal effect. Christensen's shootout goals, on the other hand, had a considerable positive influence on our final point total. In the end his 3 shootout winners gave us those 3 extra points that put us in eigth place.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
  #66
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner
 
That Stepan Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
When Gaborik scored his trick(s) I think he was with Avery and Anisimov.

His four goal game was with Anisimov and Avery. His first hat trick against Edmonton was with Frolov and Christensen, his second against the Islanders was with Avery and Christensen. So he has more of a chance of scoring a hat trick with Avery or Christensen.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:27 PM
  #67
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Holy overreaction.

Maybe DEPTH PLAYERS shouldn't be expected to perform at top 6 standards by this fan base. Some of you think a second line should perform like a first line, a bottom 6 should be able to put up second like numbers, and frankly it's ridiculous.
depth player can't be a half-dimensional shootout specialist.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
  #68
Tw0Shoes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
You convinced me, Extra Effort award was wrongly given to Prust, Christensen was lights out for us and deserves it.
we get it. You don't like him.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:41 PM
  #69
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep21NYR View Post
His four goal game was with Anisimov and Avery. His first hat trick against Edmonton was with Frolov and Christensen, his second against the Islanders was with Avery and Christensen. So he has more of a chance of scoring a hat trick with Avery or Christensen.
I could also argue that Gaborik slowed down pretty much since he was put on Christensen's line on December 31 2009, prior to that Gaborik had 49 points in 37 games, that means he had 37 points in 39 games the rest of the way with the mighty Christensen.

Get Christensen off the team and give Avery the job to set up Gaborik.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.