HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kronwall and team defence

Old
04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Yemack

vCash: 500
Kronwall and team defence

alright it seems like discussions are carrying somewhat negative tone after last game and we are up 3-0 in the series! So let's talk about something that's been absolutely flawless so far.

What did you think about Kronwall and his game? IMO, He's looked pretty confident, calm and very alert.

How about the team defence? I know coyotes has been more or less one trick pony so far but I thought it was great to see people just moving the right ways with good awarness. Also when there was some chance for lone coyotes, Howard was there.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:14 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Kronwall was hands down our best defenseman last night (or this morning for me ). Stuart was solid and Salei had a very good game ("Now you want to talk to me, eh?" )

I think they have neutralized Phoenix at EV. Yes, the Coyotes have had some really close chances and on a bad day would have buried them. Yes, Howard made some unbelievable saves to keep us in the game at times, but compared the regular season, I think the defense is playing really well.

I don't get why the PK is so ineffective against one of the worst PP in the league though. But yeah, I understand that we are really trying to find anything negative when we are coasting through this series.

I'm much more confident that we will not be a trainwreck when Lidstrom leaves and that Kronwall and Stuart are capable of handling top line duties. Ericsson has been great. He plays the most EV IT and is using his body much more. It's a good sign. Rafalski, I like to judge him on his offensive performance. I don't expect too much from him defensively, but he's played well in our zone too.

When Lidstrom is having an off day, he's terrible apparently. That's the downside of being so good. He's a robot, so when he's not doing what he's supposed to do, he's broken

There is still room for improvement. I think we could use more size and aggression on our blueline. That is why a guy like Weber would instantly make this team better, I know it.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
There is still room for improvement. I think we could use more size and aggression on our blueline. That is why a guy like Weber would instantly make this team better, I know it.
Adding one of the best defensemen in the league would make the team better?!

Last edited by Ricelund: 04-19-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
Adding one of the beat defensemen in the league would make the team better?!
Yeah, adding one of the best defensemen in the league is what my argument was. Not the fact that he is an aggressive d-man, good in all zones and a great PP QB.

And being rated the best right now doesn't mean he would be a stud on this team.

Old
04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I thought Kronwall was pretty good but I think Stuart was the heart and soul of the defense last night.
Phoenix finally started hitting (too little too late for the Yotes), and Stuart worked'em over, giving even more than he got.
I think Salei and Ericsson also deserve a ton of credit for they played last night.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Yeah, adding one of the best defensemen in the league is what my argument was. Not the fact that he is an aggressive d-man, good in all zones and a great PP QB.

And being rated the best right now doesn't mean he would be a stud on this team.
It's all the qualities you listed that make him one of the best defensemen in the league.

Man, if this team could add Crosby they'd be instantly better. Not because he's the best player in the league, but because he has such amazing vision and leadership qualities.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:13 PM
DetBigWangs

What if we could add a guy like Henrik Zetterberg in the near future? XD

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:09 PM
chances14

what i have noticed is that the wings are keeping it simple in the defensive zone and not trying to make the perfect pass that and instead just shooting it off the glass and out of the zone when under pressure. it has really cut down on the dzone turnovers

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
By the time he's back, we're playing a real team.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
Just give us the Cup then

Old
04-20-2011, 02:15 AM
TheOtherOne

Phoenix has 0 ES goals since game 1.

We must be doin something right.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:14 AM
detredWINgs

Phoenix is a ****show offensively. It doesn't say much when the scariest offensive threats Phoenix has are Doan and Vrbata up front.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Ericsson is leading the defenders in ES IT per game.

Old
04-20-2011, 09:31 AM
joe89

It's been a pleasant surprise for sure. Versus showed a little highlight of our defensive zone coverage last game and it looked very good. Good communication, awareness, aggressiveness and movement just like you want it to be. Worlds better than anything we saw in the regular season. Kronwall is a big part in it. When he plays well and can log big minutes it boosts the defence as a whole.

I feel like the PK% is just a coincidence(momentum swings and such) and small sample. When the games have been close it has actually been good so I don't see it as something too worrying. Like in Game 1 when they had that lengthy 5on3 and several PP's, our PK kept us in the game, the crowd got involved, and we could turn things around. Despite what we might think it's definitely a difference between a PK when the game is tied and when we are up by two or three goals. That little extra bit of sacrifing your body makes a big difference.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
He impressed me quite a bit so far.

But phoenix will probably come out with their best cards tonight. Wings defence will truly be test.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:31 AM
stallion19
DRW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
He impressed me quite a bit so far.

But phoenix will probably come out with their best cards tonight. Wings defence will truly be test.
Last game was one of the best I've seen Ericsson play all season. I think Babs is building his confidence by giving him more ice time which as a result rests the older dmen for when we really have to depend on them.

stallion19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:55 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
It's been a pleasant surprise for sure. Versus showed a little highlight of our defensive zone coverage last game and it looked very good. Good communication, awareness, aggressiveness and movement just like you want it to be. Worlds better than anything we saw in the regular season. Kronwall is a big part in it. When he plays well and can log big minutes it boosts the defence as a whole.

I feel like the PK% is just a coincidence(momentum swings and such) and small sample. When the games have been close it has actually been good so I don't see it as something too worrying. Like in Game 1 when they had that lengthy 5on3 and several PP's, our PK kept us in the game, the crowd got involved, and we could turn things around. Despite what we might think it's definitely a difference between a PK when the game is tied and when we are up by two or three goals. That little extra bit of sacrifing your body makes a big difference.
I think there might be something. Our PK was good when really needed.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:01 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
I think Ericsson has been really solid. He's going for those effective checks where he takes the opposing player out of the play completely and I can distinctively remember at least two plays where they either led to a goal or a really good scoring opportunity.

That assist on Mule's goal last game wasn't too bad either.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:44 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
By the time he's back, we're playing a real team.
because San Jose has been playing so amazing these playoffs

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:15 PM
theYman

Only thing lacking is a nice Kronwallian hit!

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Roy S

Here's an extremely complimentary piece on Kronwall. Babcock also gave him some high praise:

Quote:
“Obviously Kronner is an elite player,” coach Mike Babcock said. “We play him in the three, or in the fourth or five-six-hole, but I mean really, with his age, he’s probably our best guy in lots of ways.”
http://www.freep.com/article/2011042...yssey=obinsite

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Maybe this playoffs kronwall will take over so to speak and become the no.1 or 2 defenseman (no.2 if lidstrom retires and use most of that money on a elite one)

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:23 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theYman View Post
Only thing lacking is a nice Kronwallian hit!
There was one almost Konwallian hit. I think players are aware of him when on the ice and he can't get them off of guard. But when it gets real intense, this will change.

Overall the team defence was not so good, or maybe our PK was not so good, but the truth is our PK was not good when games were out of reach.

Our forechecking has been almost perfect.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:33 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Kronwall has the chops to be point producer. But I think he lacks the point shot and defensive positioning to be a true elite defenseman.
But his offensive reads and jumps are top notch.

Old
04-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Jussha

For me, when I saw Kronwall score the goal to tie the game, the way he reacted and the look on his face, it really felt like he was saying to everyone "we are winning this phucking game!", it was awesome to see that look on a player of ours after scoring a goal

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote