HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov to the Flyers

Old
04-19-2011, 03:37 PM
mja
Negative Creep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You're using hindsight. At the time, during the offseason, every single one of them was a better option than MFL.

It's also worth noting that those goalies actually spent time as an NHL goaltender, unlike a certain Leighton.
Maybe Holmgren had the foresight to realize that none of them were really any good?

You can't slam Holmgren for not picking up a goalie who then goes on to suck. That doesn't even make sense.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
And it's amazing how well that's worked out for the Rangers, isn't it?
The Rangers are a poorly managed team, Sather is horrible as a GM. Put Lundquist on this team last year and you are talking about Richards getting his hands on the Cup.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon108 View Post
Bryzgalov is a good goalkeeper, but Philadelphia does not need him. Your have a young goalkeeper Bobrovsky, who need to develop further and give him a lot of playing time. And after a while he would be better than Bryzgalov.

In Avangard Omsk now a similar situation. We have a Ramo, but we want to sign Vokoun. But why? Vokoun soon retire, and Ramo is a promising young goalkeeper.
Flyers have a legit two year window with Pronger and Timonen leading thsi group on defense. The time to win is now, considering the starting goalie for the playoffs is now the #3 and the backup goalie is the #1 goalie, and the AHLK goalie is now the #2 goalie, who was actually the #1 goalie to start the season and is the same goalie who gave up a weak shortsided goal to lose the 2010 SCF's I think the goalie situation is the same as it has been over the last 20 years......a riddle, wrapped inside a mystery, inside an enigma

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Maybe Holmgren had the foresight to realize that none of them were really any good?

You can't slam Holmgren for not picking up a goalie who then goes on to suck. That doesn't even make sense.
Neither did signing Leighton to be the starter before Free Agency started.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:55 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I heard Bryzgalov was traded to the Winnipeg Jets.
LOL

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:01 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Neither did signing Leighton to be the starter before Free Agency started.
And with this, we agree.

However, this has turned out to be a relativey minor mistake. There simply wasn't a better option out there, as time has revealed.

The best thing he could have done would have been to seek out a trade with the Isles for Roloson, I guess?

Old
04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
And with this, we agree.

However, this has turned out to be a relativey minor mistake. There simply wasn't a better option out there, as time has revealed.

The best thing he could have done would have been to seek out a trade with the Isles for Roloson, I guess?
And frankly, screw that. We don't really have anything to trade. I don't think we get to pick in a draft until 2061.

Old
04-19-2011, 04:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
You know there's all this talk about who the Flyers should have signed over Leighton, as if it was guaranteed that those goalies would have signed here. The other teams involved could have offered more money. Maybe the goalies had a preference of going to the other teams for whatever reason. I know people are not fans of Leighton, but just because there were other goalies as free agents does not mean that the Flyers would have had the pick of the field. It's possible they could have gotten Ellis or Mason or Turco had they waited for free agency to begin. But it's just as possible that they would not have gotten any of them and possibly even missed out on Leighton.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You know there's all this talk about who the Flyers should have signed over Leighton, as if it was guaranteed that those goalies would have signed here. The other teams involved could have offered more money. Maybe the goalies had a preference of going to the other teams for whatever reason. I know people are not fans of Leighton, but just because there were other goalies as free agents does not mean that the Flyers would have had the pick of the field. It's possible they could have gotten Ellis or Mason or Turco had they waited for free agency to begin. But it's just as possible that they would not have gotten any of them and possibly even missed out on Leighton.
Well, that would have been a disaster, huh?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, that would have been a disaster, huh?
At the time, yeah. Knowing what we know now it wouldn't matter. But if the Flyers went in to camp with Boucher and Bob as the goalies (or really just Boucher and the backup position up for grabs) I cannot imagine people saying, "This is better than having Leighton."

Old
04-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
At the time, yeah. Knowing what we know now it wouldn't matter. But if the Flyers went in to camp with Boucher and Bob as the goalies (or really just Boucher and the backup position up for grabs) I cannot imagine people saying, "This is better than having Leighton."
It seems unlikely that would have happened. It's not like Homer made any attempt at getting any goalie besides Leighton.

Old
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well, for starters, we wouldn't have gone into camp with Boucher and Bob... it's kind of remarkable that you'd assume we wouldn't have been able to land anyone. Hell, we would have been in a position to go after Niemi.

Quote:
It seems unlikely that would have happened. It's not like Homer made any attempt at getting any goalie besides Leighton.
Well, he talked to Turco and Nabokov... just didn't bother to wait to feel things out after July 1st.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:11 PM
ShotScore*

Lisa Hillary just reported on Comcast Sportsnet that we will not be seeing Sergei Bobrovsky for the rest of these playoffs.

Interesting. The guy who got us here is not going to play again until next season.

Meaning Michael f*ing Leighton is now the full time backup.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Lisa Hillary just reported on Comcast Sportsnet that we will not be seeing Sergei Bobrovsky for the rest of these playoffs.

Interesting. The guy who got us here is not going to play again until next season.

Old
04-19-2011, 06:32 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
That really sucks. What are they going to do, god forbid, if something happens to Boosh? If they don't have the confidence in him to be the backup now, what would they do then?

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:32 PM
MountainHawk

I'm calling BS on that until there is a link.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:16 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:

Is there an article/writeup of this anywhere? I need confirmation before I go ballistic.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:

I call shenanigans. Why would that even come up at this current time?

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, for starters, we wouldn't have gone into camp with Boucher and Bob... it's kind of remarkable that you'd assume we wouldn't have been able to land anyone. Hell, we would have been in a position to go after Niemi.
I'm not saying the Flyers wouldn't have signed anyone if they waited on Leighton, I'm just saying that could have been the result. If the Flyers waited until free agency, I'm not sure what their top dollar would have been, and I don't know what other team's top dollars would have been. I doubt the Flyers would have offered Niemi $2 million since that is what they offered Turco. They probably could have matched Mason at $1.85, but would Atlanta have upped their offer? Same thing with Ellis. Maybe they could have gotten Turco too if they waited a little longer, but I'd rather have Leighton than have all of these guys sign and Leighton sign somewhere else.

The point is that everyone acts as if the Flyers could have had any goalie they wanted and they "foolishly" chose Leighton, when the fact of the matter is that they offered money to the two best goalies out there and got turned down. There was no reason to believe that it would be different had they waited until free agency. I know there were reports in the media that it was a thin market or whatever, but as a GM, are you going to take the media's word over the word of the two best goalies out there? It turns out Turco and Nabby were not good indicators of the market, but from a GM standpoint, do you really want to risk having no goalie because there are reports in the media that it is going to be a slow year in the goalie market?

Old
04-19-2011, 08:23 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Is there an article/writeup of this anywhere? I need confirmation before I go ballistic.
She reported this in the afternoon a little after 4 pm. I haven't seen any confirmation of it yet.

I almost had a heart attack when I heard her.

It's interesting though that it was reported yesterday that Bob no longer has a locker.

That seems more than a little strange.

Maybe they don't want to make anything official just yet?

EDIT: Bobrovsky is now practicing with the black aces. Link here..

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2011/...1965891883.txt

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:13 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
She reported this in the afternoon a little after 4 pm. I haven't seen any confirmation of it yet.

I almost had a heart attack when I heard her.

It's interesting though that it was reported yesterday that Bob no longer has a locker.

That seems more than a little strange.

Maybe they don't want to make anything official just yet?

EDIT: Bobrovsky is now practicing with the black aces. Link here..

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2011/...1965891883.txt
Dick move.

I'm also 99% sure that Holmgren is behind this and not Laviolette. He's still burning that Leighton made him look bad. And Lavi's refusal to discuss the matter at all would lead me to believe that he's unhappy about it. As a coach, this isn't how you treat a guy who backstopped your team all year even if he had a bad game.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Dick move.

I'm also 99% sure that Holmgren is behind this and not Laviolette. He's still burning that Leighton made him look bad. And Lavi's refusal to discuss the matter at all would lead me to believe that he's unhappy about it. As a coach, this isn't how you treat a guy who backstopped your team all year even if he had a bad game.
Yeah, definitely more important to spare a guy's feelings than to do what you think is best for the team. Bob played well most of the year and game 1. Not saying he didn't But he played awful in game 2. Maybe it's a little extreme to bench, and I don't necessarily agree with it. But if I'm Laviolette and I think the team will do better with Leighton as the backup, then sorry Bob, grab a beer and watch the game from the pressbox.

It could also be, and this is purely conjecture, that Bob himself has asked Lavy to take him out. He said he was nervous before game 1 (which it didn't look like it from the way he played). Maybe getting smoked in game 2 got in his head and he flat out said "I'm not ready for this." Again purely conjecture, but with everyone being tight-lipped about the situation, this is just as plausible as Homer trying to make himself better and jeopardizing a Stanley Cup.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:25 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Dick move.

You have got to be ****ing kidding me.

Now we're going to just make **** up to slam Holmgren??? Un-****ing-believable.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Teezax

Quote:
It could also be, and this is purely conjecture, that Bob himself has asked Lavy to take him out. He said he was nervous before game 1 (which it didn't look like it from the way he played). Maybe getting smoked in game 2 got in his head and he flat out said "I'm not ready for this." Again purely conjecture, but with everyone being tight-lipped about the situation, this is just as plausible as Homer trying to make himself better and jeopardizing a Stanley Cup.
I could actually buy into this theory, it answers a lot of questions. Any other reasoning to have go from 1 to 3 with Leighton who hadn't played all year take 2 does not make sense to me. That being said, if true, I can't imagine the organization putting much stock into his future. Poor BOB.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:23 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Yeah, definitely more important to spare a guy's feelings than to do what you think is best for the team. Bob played well most of the year and game 1. Not saying he didn't But he played awful in game 2. Maybe it's a little extreme to bench, and I don't necessarily agree with it. But if I'm Laviolette and I think the team will do better with Leighton as the backup, then sorry Bob, grab a beer and watch the game from the pressbox.

Stop trying to be logical. this is the flyers hfboards where everyone should be traded and the Canucks should be cup champions already.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote