HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Old
04-19-2011, 02:54 PM
XLJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
Gilroy has got in to the D in the playoffs ahead of Eminger and Del Zotto on merit. No way Torts picks him for any other reason than merit. If the coaching staff thought he stunk he would have been shown the door by now.
He is playing instead of a player that we got in a trade for Aaron Voros. I dont think that says much. Its still debatable if he's actually better than Eminger.
Gilroy is a 7th defensemen. I dont understand the need for a multi year deal. I doubt another nhl team would offer him more than 1 year.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
He is playing instead of a player that we got in a trade for Aaron Voros. I dont think that says much. Its still debatable if he's actually better than Eminger.
Gilroy is a 7th defensemen. I dont understand the need for a multi year deal. I doubt another nhl team would offer him more than 1 year.
He is also playing instead of Valentenko.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:59 PM
SomE

Rangers44, ****

Gilory did not cost the Rangers game 2

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:19 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Oh, boy... Where did you get V-tank is ready for NHL? Is that because he palyed for Dynamo Moscow? In KHL? So far no one reported him dominating AHL as far as I know. Gillroy has done that.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Oh, boy... Where did you get V-tank is ready for NHL? Is that because he palyed for Dynamo Moscow? In KHL? So far no one reported him dominating AHL as far as I know. Gillroy has done that.

He just likes V-Tank because when people talk about him, the words "hit, crunch, physical, strong, etc." are all brought up. Probably hasn't seen more than 10 mins of him actually playing.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

According to our resident Hartford scouts Valentenko looks good.

I don't know where the Gilroy brigade came from all of a sudden but if he can't beat out V-tank in training camp he doesn't deserve ANY money.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
To play devil's advocate (and because I think Eminger is much better than Gilroy)- what has Gilroy done to warrant being in the lineup over Eminger?
Scored a goal in game one

Quote:
Valentenko isn't an upgrade over Gilroy at this point. He misses the net.... So i guess he would fit in.

E Nixson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:27 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
for the amount of 3rd pair minutes each would get next season, i would rather have vtank throwing his weight around over girl roy throwing his handbag around.

if it wasnt for mdz and his sophomore implosion this season, girl roy wouldnt even be in the mix for a contract next year.

im sorry, matt hasnt shown me much to warrant anything more than a chance to play on the whale first pair next year.

this team absolutely needs what vtank brings to a 3rd pair waaaay more than what ever it is that girl roy might offer.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
I suggested this somewhere & got flamed like a fire ant...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And if Valentenko comes to camp next year and proves that, then Gilroy will either be in Hartford or traded. What's the problem? Just because we are looking to re-sign Gilroy doesn't mean he's guaranteed a spot on the team. It doesn't mean we won't still be looking for better options. Gilroy is an asset. You can argue his value, but regardless, he is an asset. He knows the system and Torts has enough trust in him to play him in the playoffs over Eminger.

What's the point of just throwing that away for nothing? If we can re-sign him for cheap, he provides additional depth, even if he ends up playing in Hartford. And if we don't need him, we can much more easily trade him because he'll be making less money.
Completely agree. If he signs for a low enough number, making him more moveable if that scenario plays, why give up an asset for minimal cost and a contract spot only?

You can't teach speed, and I think his north south speed is better than rated by detractors on this post, and his lateral skating is excellent. His offensive game needs a lot of work, but it's not part of the problem; the Fs aren't scoring, that's the problem!.
The guy does have to hit the weight room this summer, he is a cream puff, but as noted he was supposed to be a rushing offensive D man, and he is without the great shot a more complete player has but until we get that more complete player, he fills that void.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:43 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Not particularly.

I'm just thinking how much better off Lundqvist would be with someone like a Valentenko or Erskine as his 6th defenseman.

If Gilly isn't going to play physical, score or be a noticeable positional defenseman at age 27, I see no reason why not to move on to a new project. Certainly losing him isn't going to cripple this club.
While I agree it won't cripple the club, the rest of our prospects (save MDZ) on defense don't seem to project well in terms of powerplay production.

Perhaps the hope is to groom Gilroy to be MDZ's partner on the PP. Girardi and Staal on the other unit.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:44 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I suggested this somewhere & got flamed like a fire ant...
the problem with Wisneiwski is he's going to get a lot more than he deserves.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Can't possibly be worse than Gilroy.

Old
04-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
the problem with Wisneiwski is he's going to get a lot more than he deserves.
So did Gilroy

Old
04-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
Scored a goal in game one

Valentenko isn't an upgrade over Gilroy at this point. He misses the net.... So i guess he would fit in.
There is more to Gilroy "sucking" than just missing the net.

Old
04-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Completely agree. If he signs for a low enough number, making him more moveable if that scenario plays, why give up an asset for minimal cost and a contract spot only?

You can't teach speed, and I think his north south speed is better than rated by detractors on this post, and his lateral skating is excellent. His offensive game needs a lot of work, but it's not part of the problem; the Fs aren't scoring, that's the problem!.
The guy does have to hit the weight room this summer, he is a cream puff, but as noted he was supposed to be a rushing offensive D man, and he is without the great shot a more complete player has but until we get that more complete player, he fills that void.
Can't teach speed? Tell that to Brian Boyle.

Old
04-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Rangers to offer Gilroy an extension

Drop ****ing dead.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:04 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
There is more to Gilroy "sucking" than just missing the net.
I'm not even a gilroy fan but you're turning me into one just b/c your dislike of him is so grating.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Absolutely ****ing retarded if they give him an offer. $500k or more, doesn't matter.

The kid doesn't belong on this squad. Give me a break management. We've already seen absolutely terrible on ice performance for years and years and we have to continue seeing terrible off ice management as well?

Get a ****ing clue Sather & co. What the hell could you possibly see in Matt ****ing Gilroy to take a defensive spot up? He's softer than Charmin for god sake. You want to establish a team identity, go draft/acquire some ****ing skill instead of grinding all ****ing game long and get a team full of warriors who are physical.

Sorry, but that rant was warranted.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:40 PM
SomE

If Gilroy cost them game 2 then Torts would have sat him.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
If Gilroy cost them game 2 then Torts would have sat him.
Tort has double standards obviously.

Old
04-19-2011, 04:57 PM
ocarina

Quote:
So did Gilroy
Big difference between giving someone 1.75 mil on the short term and giving someone a long term deal worth 4-5 mil per (which is what Wisniewski will likely get).

Like I said, I'm not the biggest fan of Gilroy, but your hate on him is just irrational. If you think Valentenko is better then him, you don't understand how playing defense in ice hockey works.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Big difference between giving someone 1.75 mil on the short term and giving someone a long term deal worth 4-5 mil per (which is what Wisniewski will likely get).

Like I said, I'm not the biggest fan of Gilroy, but your hate on him is just irrational. If you think Valentenko is better then him, you don't understand how playing defense in ice hockey works.
I rather pay the guy that puts up 50 points 5 million than 2 million to the guy that puts up 10-15 points

Old
04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
ocarina

Quote:
I rather pay the guy that puts up 50 points 5 million than 2 million to the guy that puts up 10-15 points
Sather, is that you?

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Sather, is that you?
No, it is me, common sense.