HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chat today

Old
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
we need a center. we havent had a legitamet 1st line center in 5 years. ****ing fill that hole

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Wow, the Leafs are obnoxious.

What would they trade for Nash? Another 3 first round picks?
I think almost every national NHL writer overestimates the Leafs being a team for every decent player. How many top level FAs have gone there recently?

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Pierre LeBrun discussed Rick Nash in an ESPN podcast last week. LeBrun doesn't think Columbus will trade Nash who just re-signed in Columbus. If Nash was placed on the market,LeBrun felt Brian Burke would move anything to land Nash.
Does anyone have the feeling that Burke was born to be the Ranger GM?

Quote:
I think if a star player becomes available you go for it. It is first line players we lack. Who gives Nash and Gaborik the puck? I don't think it really matters. Brendan Morrison did fine between Naslund and Bertuzzi.

I take issue with the adding of the cap space, but that is about it.

The problem with the cap is how many guys can you sign @ $7 million each? In the olden days the Rangers could pay them off and dump them in the East River. Not anymore. Are we going to have a farm team of Reddens with an AHL salary of $75 million? You box yourself in with these free agent salaries. Drury, Gomez, Redden, Gaborik. Not one of them have worked out.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I dunno, Gaborik has given us 64 regular season goals in 2 years. Thats 32 a year which isn't too far off from a 7.5 contract. Admittedly its a little over, he is probably worth around 6 but it isn't an albatross.

04-19-2011, 04:06 PM
asphyXy

If the Rangers acquired Rick Nash, I'd drive straight to Cosby's and have them make me a Nash jersey on the spot.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Does anyone have the feeling that Burke was born to be the Ranger GM?

The problem with the cap is how many guys can you sign @ $7 million each? In the olden days the Rangers could pay them off and dump them in the East River. Not anymore. Are we going to have a farm team of Reddens with an AHL salary of $75 million? You box yourself in with these free agent salaries. Drury, Gomez, Redden, Gaborik. Not one of them have worked out.
Gaborik's 40 goals last year beg to differ.

edit- and before this turns into a Gaborik thread i'm just saying that we shouldn't be afraid of Richards just because we have to sign him as a FA.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 04-19-2011 at 04:15 PM.
BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Gaborik's 40 goals last year beg to differ.
Are you happy with him now?

Old
04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I dunno, Gaborik has given us 64 regular season goals in 2 years. Thats 32 a year which isn't too far off from a 7.5 contract. Admittedly its a little over, he is probably worth around 6 but it isn't an albatross.
The problem is that last year he produced like a player worth ~$8.5m on the free market, and this year he's playing like a player work ~$3.5m.

It might average out to $6m, but the real question is which Gaborik will show up next year.

I don't think him playing like a $6m guy during a season is an option . . . if he plays to his potential and isn't hurt his contract is great, but if he plays like this year, his contract is not good. There isn't really an in between with him.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
No, but last year he was the only forward who did anything for this offensively anemic club.

Using Gaborik as a reason not to sign Brich is dumb, imo.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:47 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

I would do dirty things to get Nash on the Rangers...and I mean the FILTHIEST.

By far and away my favorite non-Ranger NHL player

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
Aquiring Rick Nash or Shea Weber would be godly. I'd take that over Richards any day of the week.
Just food for thought...if the team was offering the same/similar value packages to both NAS and CLB, who would you want?

Nash or Weber?

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
NYGRYK21
HFWF IC Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Just food for thought...if the team was offering the same/similar value packages to both NAS and CLB, who would you want?

Nash or Weber?
Nash. We have a solid D corps already, we don't have legit 1st line guys.

NYGRYK21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
No, but last year he was the only forward who did anything for this offensively anemic club.

Using Gaborik as a reason not to sign Brich is dumb, imo.
I'm not using Gaborik as a reason. In the past 4 years the Rangers have signed four free agents to expensive long term contracts. Three of those have been disasters. One has been mediocre.

If all four were still on the Rangers they would use up almost $30 million of a $55+- million payroll under the cap. Four players making half the team's allotted salary while 2 of the 4 are almost worthless and the other 2 are nothing near what their salary demands. That's a recipe for disaster. Yet what is the solution? Go get another big long term contract to make this big contract (Gaborik) better. Does no one see the folly in this?

The irony of this is that Gomez needed Gaborik & Gaborik needs Gomez. And that was impossible because of the cap.

Old
04-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Janerixon

I will say sometimes Brooks gets good info from sources but other times he pulls stuff out of his butt. Wolski getting bought out? Are you kidding me? He is inconsistent sure but so is Christensen, gaborik, Anisimov, and a handful of other players. Wolski could be waived and if there are no takers he goes to Hartford maybe recalled and taken at half price maybe he doesn't get claimed at all.

I have been saying Boyle will get close to 2 million a year for a multiple year deal to keep him a ranger as he is more important for PK and shutdown center role than as a goal scorer.

Gilroy coming back on the cheap is not shocking either, he doesnt complain and just does his best when given a chance. I'm not a huge fan of his cause his physical play and hockey IQ are pretty nonexistent but guess they see it as otherwise.

If we don't land Richards sather has to trade for a legit top 6 forward it's too easy to shutdown gaborik and we need help up front. This is no surprise. Richards will not sign in LA and they won't give him more money than NY or Toronto unless they trade away same players with contracts as they are fairly tight as well. Richards will be a ranger, star, or very possibly a leaf if Burke offers a crazy contract, but I dont see it.

Oh and no way do we get Rick Nash that is some Brooks nonsense. Not happening.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I'm not ignorant enough to think Nash is coming anywhere near NY, or any other town but Columbus for that matter. But I like him far too much not to speculate.

Nash - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

My mouth, is watering.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Vitto79

I can predict the off season. It should not be too tough barring a Sather trade we are not expecting. Which I say is 50/50

Sign Richards, Sign RFA's ( packline, Sauer, Boyle )

Unfortunately sign Gilroy for under a 1 mil. He becomes spare F and D

let all UFA's go because of cap , Vinny ,Feds, Eminger, McCabe

Buy out Drury
Trade EC for late pick

I still say they keep Wolskii since he has offensive skills. Try and find the right C for him. He has 40 pts or more in 4 seasons

DZ , Vtank, Hagelin are regulars. my prediction

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolski, Anisimov, Callahan
Hagelin , Stepan, Zuccarello
Avery, Boyle, Prust
Gilroy

Staal, Girardi
McDonaugh ,Sauer
Del Zotto, Valentenko

Lundqvist
Biron

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I'm not ignorant enough to think Nash is coming anywhere near NY, or any other town but Columbus for that matter. But I like him far too much not to speculate.

Nash - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

My mouth, is watering.
Then a bottom 6 of:

Avery-Boyle-Prust
Wolski-Christiansen-MZA

Sign me up!

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Rick nash had 40 goals and 79 points in 08-09, only to decline the next few years. So if he has a down year is he gonna get the Gaborik treatment as well? 1 and done?

Im a huge Nash fan but I do think hes a tad over rated. Hes cracked 70 points once in his career. But then again he is a pure goal scorer which is exactly what the Rangers need.

So on second thought, **** it, go for it trade for him.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Rangers haven't had a legit #1 center since Mark Messier I. Messier won the Hart in his first year as a Ranger. That was his last great year. He was still very good but became a lesser player each season due to age. Still produced but wasn't THE dominant physical player.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Janerixon

I agree with a lot of what you see happening. Only differences I really see are these:

Fedotenko is back as he is the definition of a torts guy who really thrives playing under torts and can play in almost any situation. He creates a lot of scoring chances he just can't finish, if he played a full season with players who can finish he may have a lot more points.

EC will be back as he can be a 13th or 14th forward and step in to a top 6 role if someone goes down or he can be serviceable on the 4th line getting some PP time and scoring clutch shootout goals. He isn't expensive, he will be back.

Prospal is the wild card. He was a catalyst for us making the playoffs and if his play continues to impress in the playoffs i don't know how they can't bring him back unless he wants to call it a career.

Zucc is not going to be a regular unless his defensive play improves and he really needs to put up points. His hustle is there and he leaves it all on the ice but for whatever reason torts does not have much faith in him.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I can predict the off season. It should not be too tough barring a Sather trade we are not expecting. Which I say is 50/50

Sign Richards, Sign RFA's ( packline, Sauer, Boyle )

Unfortunately sign Gilroy for under a 1 mil. He becomes spare F and D

let all UFA's go because of cap , Vinny ,Feds, Eminger, McCabe

Buy out Drury
Trade EC for late pick

I still say they keep Wolskii since he has offensive skills. Try and find the right C for him. He has 40 pts or more in 4 seasons

DZ , Vtank, Hagelin are regulars. my prediction

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolski, Anisimov, Callahan
Hagelin , Stepan, Zuccarello
Avery, Boyle, Prust
Gilroy

Staal, Girardi
McDonaugh ,Sauer
Del Zotto, Valentenko

Lundqvist
Biron

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Zil

It's interesting that Brooks notes Chara as making it clear he wanted nothing to do with New York. All the people calling Richards concussion prone or riddled are overstating it. He has had one concussion. We need a top flight center. I'd rather have Richards and prospects than Nash and no prospects.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post

Nash or Weber?
Thats tough. Shea Weber on a line with Staal would be deadly but this team is so offensively inept that I'd rather go for Nash.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
Thats tough. Shea Weber on a line with Staal would be deadly but this team is so offensively inept that I'd rather go for Nash.
If I had to choose I'd go for Weber. He's younger and he'd provide offense too. A deadly shot from the blueline would really help the powerplay.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:41 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Wolski getting bought out? Are you kidding me?
No, he's not. Look at the buyout $. Much less than losing him on reentry waivers.

Wolski's future may depend on what happens with other cap clearing moves. If Slats needs space, he's an option.

I'd love to see him go through a full season with Tortorella but at $3.8MM, that's Callahan-Dubinsky-Staal money. He's got to do much, much more.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Ola

As regards the tripple lefties 5 on 3 question.

Besides that we could have shifted McBacon and Gabby, we had the perfect setup.

A righty at LW. A leftie at LD. A leftie at RD. Impossible to defend against.

The LW and LD moves the puck back and forth between each other. With a 3-man box, you will either have two guys high or two guys low. If they have two guys high, the LW gets a 2, or even 3, on 1 around the net. If they have two guys low, Gabby and McB gets a 2 on 1 at the points.

Now, if the PK box only have 1 guy high, but that guy takes away the passinglane between Gabby and McB, you still get a one-timer option when the LW passes the puck to the LD. Gabby could have one-timed it off a pass from the LW. If you have a righty and a lefty at the blueline, the PKers just shut down the passing lane, and none of them can onetime it.

Our 5 on 3 sucked because Gabby didn't do the right things. The Caps did a good job, they left us with one great option only, Gabby passing to McBacon for a onetimer, but Gabby did not utilize that option and it turned to pancakes. I imagine that Torts were pretty upset with him. We had a classic text-book setup, got a designed result from it, but refused to use the option we had planned.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote