HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL announces 10-year TV deal with NBC & Versus

Old
04-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
NHL announces 10-year TV deal with NBC & Versus

Get ready for another decade of mediocre TV coverage in the US....

Quote:
The National Hockey League has opted to stick with NBC and Versus as its U.S. broadcasters in a 10-year deal reportedly worth about US$2 billion.

Neither commissioner Gary Bettman nor NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol gave financial terms of the contract, but various reports said it would bring in about $200 million per season.
Quote:
Versus currently pays about $75 million per year while NBC pays no rights fees but has a revenue sharing arrangement with the NHL.
Quote:
He added that the Versus name will be changed within three months to one that will include NBC.
Quote:
The deal will see games on Versus jump from 50 to 90 per season. Versus will also exclusively air all conference final games, while for the final, NBC will have five games and Versus will show Games 3 and 4.

NBC will continue to show a game of the week as well as the annual Winter Classic and Hockey Day in America. It will introduce a national game on U.S. Thanksgiving Friday.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362861

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
NBC Sportsnet had better get something else to show in the off-hours.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:36 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Better than what ESPN would have done, which is cut away from NHL games in favor of women's pro poker and hour-long shows about breaking NBA trade rumors.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:41 PM
jfb392

Bad news: They still have that ********* "Versus Game of the Week" and with the amount of games carried by Versus almost doubling, one would think that this will mean that even more games will be blacked out because of this stupid rule.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
buffalosabresgal
Celebrates Festivus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
Better than what ESPN would have done, which is cut away from NHL games in favor of women's pro poker and hour-long shows about breaking NBA trade rumors.
Why is poker even considered a sport?

buffalosabresgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Clock

That's great news for Pens fans!

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:47 PM
sabresfan129103

With the number of VS games going from 50 to 90 I wonder if this means a couple of things for the Sabres:

1. Because the Sabres always draw well does that mean they will have more then their 6 standard games on VS? (I hope not)

2. With VS having the rights to so many games, I wonder if we will run into the situation where VS has the right to the game, but they decide not to send a crew here because they choose to air another game, so the game is completely blacked out to the locals. Like the Anaheim game was this year.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
...or mid-round college basketball mid-American conference playoff games.

04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Bad news: They still have that ********* "Versus Game of the Week" and with the amount of games carried by Versus almost doubling, one would think that this will mean that even more games will be blacked out because of this stupid rule.
I'd be willing to bet that they intend to double up broadcasts on their game of the week format (an East Coast game, followed by a West Coast game) just like HNIC does.

Old
04-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
As well as for Caps and Flyer fans!

Old
04-19-2011, 06:53 PM
buffalosabresgal
Celebrates Festivus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I'd be willing to bet that they intend to double up broadcasts on their game of the week format (an East Coast game, followed by a West Coast game) just like HNIC does.
FOX does this too (for baseball, football). It doesn't help that I can't stand their sportscasters in the first place, but having to watch my team on there once a week makes me pull out the radio.

buffalosabresgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
With the number of VS games going from 50 to 90 I wonder if this means a couple of things for the Sabres:

1. Because the Sabres always draw well does that mean they will have more then their 6 standard games on VS? (I hope not)
It's actually nine, but I don't think details have come out yet regarding the maximum amount of games per team.
Unfortunately, I think that yes, this means that we will see an increase in Sabres games on Versus.

Quote:
2. With VS having the rights to so many games, I wonder if we will run into the situation where VS has the right to the game, but they decide not to send a crew here because they choose to air another game, so the game is completely blacked out to the locals. Like the Anaheim game was this year.
That is not the reason why the Anaheim game was blacked out.
It was blacked out because of the "Game of the Week" thing that I just complained about.
When the "Game of the Week" is on, Versus is the only station (including RSN's) that is allowed to broadcast NHL games in the United States, which is just retarded IMHO.

Old
04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It's actually nine, but I don't think details have come out yet regarding the maximum amount of games per team.
Unfortunately, I think that yes, this means that we will see an increase in Sabres games on Versus.

That is not the reason why the Anaheim game was blacked out.
It was blacked out because of the "Game of the Week" thing that I just complained about.
When the "Game of the Week" is on, Versus is the only station (including RSN's) that is allowed to broadcast NHL games in the United States, which is just retarded IMHO.
So hypothetically lets say there is a total of 10 games starting at 7:00 and VS has the game of the week. Does that mean fans of those other 18 teams are blacked out?

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanAtHeart View Post
FOX does this too (for baseball, football). It doesn't help that I can't stand their sportscasters in the first place, but having to watch my team on there once a week makes me pull out the radio.
They've had 6 years to sort out the announcers - with 10 more years ahead, if they want to be considered professional like CBC or TSN, they have to recruit a small group of announcers that do not have affiliations to an NHL team (such as what Emrick, Beninati, Forslund, Olczyk have). There is no excuse to have the Carolina PxP man (Forslund) call a national game between the Hurricanes and Sabres, as happened this season.

Old
04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
So hypothetically lets say there is a total of 10 games starting at 7:00 and VS has the game of the week. Does that mean fans of those other 18 teams are blacked out?
Yes, except if they are a non-local fan who has Gamecenter Live (they sometimes carry jumbotron feeds and only non-local fans have access) or if their team is playing a Canadian team (in which case it is only broadcast in Canada).

Old
04-19-2011, 07:12 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
...or mid-round college basketball mid-American conference playoff games.
Don't forget showing spring College Football scrimmages....(the latest trend that's...well....rather sad...)

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:19 PM
slip

I'm curious to see what name they come up with for instead of Versus.

VSNBC?

It's still a nice 4 million a year bump in national TV money for each franchise.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Pengo

Good news for us, the cap will probably go up because of this.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:51 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Agreed.

I can't believe I just said that.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Whatever they do, they need to establish the practice of using neutral announcers.

Having the Carolina Hurricanes' play-by-play guy reprise that role in nationally televised games where his team is playing or is directly implicated is grossly unethical.

EDIT: What Sabretip said.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
fing0rz

I like this. NHL is #1 on Versus, which is the way it should be.
On ESPN it would have been about #10.

Aslong as they avoid getting sabres games blacked out (which is dumb as hell), its good for hockey imo.

Would be nice if they had worked in a deal where gamecenter gets to stream every game with no black out issues tho. Id much rather get gamecenter then cable just for sabres :/

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

10 more years of Doc Emrick?

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:42 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
It's not really good news for us, as that means the Sabres will have to spend more money to stay competitive, which means more losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fing0rz View Post
Would be nice if they had worked in a deal where gamecenter gets to stream every game with no black out issues tho. Id much rather get gamecenter then cable just for sabres :/
Why would they work out a deal that would allow customers to ditch TV when NBCUniversal's major interest is TV?

If you're not aware, here are the channels they control:
Quote:
The formation of NBC Universal saw the establishment of NBC Universal Cable, which oversees the distribution, marketing, and advertisement sales for thirteen channels (Bravo, Bravo HD+ (eventually renamed Universal HD), Chiller, CNBC, CNBC World, MSNBC, mun2, Syfy, ShopNBC, Telemundo, Sleuth, USA Network and the Olympic Games on cable). NBC Universal Cable also manages the company's investments in A&E, the History Channel, History Channel International, the Biography Channel, National Geographic International, and TiVo. The cable division also used to operate NBC Weather Plus until 2008.
(source)

If you don't want Gamecenter Live to be blacked out, use something like HotSpot Shield or purchase a personal VPN.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I'm happy about this. It's naive to think ESPN was going to give a better deal.

Versus has improved over the years but still has a very long way to go. However, we're looking at a substantial increase in TV revenue to the league which is, obviously, good for the league and also good for the Sabres as it should effect a cap increase by its lonesome.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote