HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL signs 10 year deal with NBC/Versus

Old
04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
NHL signs 10 year deal with NBC/Versus

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560238

I think this is awful for the NHL, I don't care if it is on NBC, but versus is horrible, and not to have a chance to ever get back on ESPN is just frustrating and sickening for TEN MORE YEARS!!! WOW!!!!!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post

I think this is awful for the NHL, I don't care if it is on NBC, but versus is horrible, and not to have a chance to ever get back on ESPN is just frustrating and sickening for TEN MORE YEARS!!! WOW!!!!!
There's a thread on the main boards already for this.

Not sure how pertinent one for only NYR discussion is but what I will say is not much will probably change for us. Luckily, NBC likes big city teams and tends to show us a lot on national broadcasts (not that ESPN doesn't or wouldn't show us as much) -- it just kind of sucks the NHL couldn't diversify. I'd love to watch SportsCenter in the morning and see more Rangers on there, and see some NHL specials. I doubt that will ever happen now. At least for a decade.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

VS is getting revamped to be a legit sports network, and ESPN wouldn't give the NHL that much coverage, it would be one game a week on ESPN2 and SCF games on ABC.

Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
With Comcast and NBC merging, it's really not a bad deal. There will be a large scale re-branding, with most of the CSN regional carriers taking the NBC Sports label. Versus will be re-branded as well. They're going to aggressively pursue college football and college basketball, widening their appeal and likely earning spots in more cable/dish carrier lineups.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:36 PM
chosen

If hockey had more fans it would be on ESPN. Ratings are in charge of this.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I'd prefer hockey would get good coverage on ESPN than good coverage on VS, but I'd prefer good coverage on VS than bad coverage on ESPN.

That's pretty much what we were faced with here. 10 years is a long contract, though.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Rangers averaged the 6th biggest audience per game on MSG. Regional sports nets.

Quote:
Not surprisingly, the league’s biggest markets posted the biggest local TV audiences. Following Pittsburgh, the largest local TV audiences came in Chicago (96,000 average homes on CSN Chicago), Boston (77,000 on NESN), Detroit (76,000 on FS Detroit), Philadelphia (71,000 on CSN Philadelphia) and New York (59,000 for Rangers games on MSG).
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...N-ratings.aspx

Click on the box. Last box. The hard core Debbies fans stood by their team. Almost a 22% drop in viewers. Front runners.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:20 PM
pwoz

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

I miss the early 90's when ESPN2 showed a game (or two) every single night.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:24 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
VS is getting revamped to be a legit sports network, and ESPN wouldn't give the NHL that much coverage, it would be one game a week on ESPN2 and SCF games on ABC.
The only way VS becomes "legit" is if they manage to lure the NBA or NFL.

ESPN not giving the NHL that much air time is okay: They want to test the waters. If the viewership increases (And it would have), they would have expanded to include more games.

In reality, this is only Bettman having too much of an ego to go back to ESPN.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If hockey had more fans it would be on ESPN. Ratings are in charge of this.
Yes, but I have a feeling the NHL didn't forget how poorly ESPN treated them last time. And the NHL has done pretty well on VS regardless of what we think about it. To be honest the VS broadcast isn't that bad (NBC is worse) and if they really got rid of Benenati from doing pbp then all the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
ESPN not giving the NHL that much air time is okay: They want to test the waters. If the viewership increases (And it would have), they would have expanded to include more games.
To be honest I don't think the league wants to lock themselves into a deal where they have to prove themselves to ESPN and rely on the good faith of ESPN to give them more games, etc etc.

In fact it'd be incredibly stupid and disrespectful to the league and to the fans to do that. As much I'd love to see the NHL on all of these networks, I have no desire to see it treated as a laughing stock by ESPN for no other reason than they think it's a running gag to make fun of the NHL.

Yes I am still bitter at how ESPN treated the NHL, and I'm not a fan of ESPN in general

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:40 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
To be honest I don't think the league wants to lock themselves into a deal where they have to prove themselves to ESPN and rely on the good faith of ESPN to give them more games, etc etc.

In fact it'd be incredibly stupid and disrespectful to the league and to the fans to do that. As much I'd love to see the NHL on all of these networks, I have no desire to see it treated as a laughing stock by ESPN for no other reason than they think it's a running gag to make fun of the NHL.

Yes I am still bitter at how ESPN treated the NHL, and I'm not a fan of ESPN in general
At the end of the day - pre-lockout - the NHL was battling the NBA for the third most watched sport in America. Not a lot of people watched the Euro leagues in soccer and those were on once in a blue moon, and look what ESPN now shows.

Little quips and jabs here and there, so be it, but if there's money to be made - and there is - ESPN will bite.

It's not stupid and disrespectful to the fans, especially when you take into account that fans had been clamoring for a return to ESPN. Why? Today, does everyone now get VS? Yep, great way to make a comeback and make a statement: Revive the sport by broadcasting games on a channel that not everyone has.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:40 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
With Comcast and NBC merging, it's really not a bad deal. There will be a large scale re-branding, with most of the CSN regional carriers taking the NBC Sports label. Versus will be re-branded as well. They're going to aggressively pursue college football and college basketball, widening their appeal and likely earning spots in more cable/dish carrier lineups.
They're renaming Versus "NBC Sports". It's going to be like Fox Sports for the CSNs. Renaming them NBC Sports Pittsburgh (for example), etc. It's going to help keep costs down. Unfortunately, it will likely make any game put on the national NBC Sports channel to be called by the CSN announcers aka homer central.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Nothing's wrong with signing back with NBC/Versus. I don't mind really. The length is a little iffy, but it's not really a big deal when you look at the big picture of re-signing with NBC/Versus.

What is ESPN going to do that Versus can't? Show one game or two games a week on ESPN 2? A nightly TV show on ESPN 2? Instead of two minutes of hockey talk, they'll get a little bit extra on SportsCenter? Versus isn't that hard to find anymore. It's not like the NHL is downgrading with views or exposure. Versus gives us complete coverage of the playoffs. Now, with the NBA playoffs, how many games would ESPN be able to jam in for the NHL?

The need for the NHL to go back to ESPN is a little overrated, in my opinion. I get that people will look at the NHL with a more favor if they went back, but what has Versus slowed down the NHL?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post

In reality, this is only Bettman having too much of an ego to go back to ESPN.

No, it's really not. Take a look at the specifics of the Versus/NBC and ESPN/ABC offers. The Versus/NBC deal looks better in both the short and long term, for many reasons.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post

You must be crazy. Why would you want the NHL to go back to ESPN? The league gets better ratings and better treatment from Versus/NBC.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
No, it's really not. Take a look at the specifics of the Versus/NBC and ESPN/ABC offers. The Versus/NBC deal looks better in both the short and long term, for many reasons.
Wouldn't get this type of exposure from ABC/ESPN.

Quote:
NBC remains the exclusive network home of the NHL and Versus stays as the exclusive cable home of the NHL in the United States. NBC and Versus will both feature exclusive "Game of the Week" time slots during the regular season. Between them, NBC and Versus will telecast 100 exclusive regular-season games, nearly double this just-completed regular season total.
Quote:
Even better news for NHL fans in the U.S.: This deal marks the first-ever national distribution of all Stanley Cup Playoffs games, including, for the first time, exclusive coverage starting with the League conference semifinals. Dick Ebersol, chairman of the NBC Sports Group, told assembled media at NHL offices in New York (plus others on a conference call) that every postseason game will be broadcast in entirety on NBC, Versus or "a major NBC Universal national cable channel."

Old
04-19-2011, 07:58 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Wouldn't get this type of exposure from ABC/ESPN.
I think the merger of Comcast/NBC was the best thing that could have happened for the NHL. So many options now.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
VS coverage has been way better than ESPN ever was so i'm happy to hear this. Hockey is #1 on VS, on ESPN it would be #6, this is good for hockey fans.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:05 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
VS coverage has been way better than ESPN ever was so i'm happy to hear this. Hockey is #1 on VS, on ESPN it would be #6, this is good for hockey fans.
And maybe since VS/NBC will have a 10 year contract maybe they'll invest in some more permanent play-by-play and color analysts.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I think the merger of Comcast/NBC was the best thing that could have happened for the NHL. So many options now.
Simply, it was the best option to do. Like I said before, ESPN isn't going to give anymore exposure than what Versus can and will give, if not more.

NHL Overtime on every weeknight on Versus, right? They need to make a show similar before the 7pm games every weeknight and a classic game here and there. But I guess that's what the NHL Network's for.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I just wish VS. broadcasts weren't confined to specific nights, every week. In the past, weren't games only broadcasted on Monday nights and/or Tuesday nights? Unnerved me that I would be flipping through my guide later in the week, or on the weekend, and see a great match-up, only to check VS. and see that bullriding was getting coverage.

VS. should air 3-4 games a week, IMHO... I don't know if that's practical/feasible, but at least give us 2 games on the weekend and 1 during the week.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:00 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
And maybe since VS/NBC will have a 10 year contract maybe they'll invest in some more permanent play-by-play and color analysts.
Be careful what you wish for. They'll probably invest in Emerick and his thesaurus.

I said this in another thread but I don't know why they can't strike an NBA type deal with ESPN and VS ala ESPN/TNT. There's enough games to go around for everyone. Overall it's hard to complain I guess. I get VS anyway so more games for me under the new deal.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
asphyXy

vCash: 50
Playoff hockey without Gary Thorne and Bill Clement just isn't the same, despite Gary Thorne's inability to pronounce certain names.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:34 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Embersol said to Deb Kaufman during an interview on NHL.com that Versus will be renamed in the next few months to something that includes NBC in the title.

Probably something like "NBC Sports Channel", "NBC Sports Network", "SNBC" - who knows.

Im hoping they will revamp Versus completely and get some better HD cameras in the arenas as well. thats just one of my gripes with Versus as well as it being virtually hidden on the dial of every cable service. If Versus is realy taking a hike and the NHL has a good plan with NBC in place as far as added exposure, the new channel being on a standard sports tiers or basic cable lineups around the nation - then this is a great thing for the NHL. We all think ESPN right away, and sure they have a great reputation and pretty much a monopoly on all the major sports coverage, but at least its not FOX (i cant stand them, and you would be competing directly for space with baseball and football, no chance there) - NBC has a substantial foundation of sports programming, with the Olympics, Sunday night Football, NBA, Golf, Nascar, Horse Racing, etc... Adding hockey coverage exclusively, especially with more rounds of the playoffs will be a good thing imo. As long as MSG holds the rights to certain playoff games and the NHL network still does its thing im cool with this.

Bye Bye Versus/OLN.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 04-19-2011 at 09:44 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote