HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

Old
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
mattski93
Poo Brain

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
A shame he couldn't play in the U-18, I've read some less then flattering things about the state of hockey in Britain.

Do you think Venus has a chance of getting drafted? It's very rare to see someone that young put up decent numbers in a pro league, even if it is comparatively low-level. I'm sure he could have a spot on a major junior team if he wanted to come over.
The excuse was that he "didn't fit into the overall game plan of the U18s", which is laughable. With him in the lineup, they may not get relegated (though I suspect not even his skill can make up for the terrible coaching and discipline). Supposedly the coaching team for the U18s didn't even realise he was playing Elite hockey and only took in the fact that he (rightfully) hasn't even bothered playing junior hockey this year.

I'm not sure. Britain is absolutely a hockey backwater when it comes to infrastructure and governance and so you can see why it doesn't get scouted, but the talent comnig through is improving all the time and kids are becoming more and more ambitious; I can see Ross putting himself in a shop window. He needs to move abroad for his own development's sake this or next summer. You just have to hope Robert Farmer hasn't rubbed off on him and discouraged him from moving to North America, but unlike Farmer Venus seems to be willing to put in the hard work. Is he worth a spot? Absolutely. Do I think he'll get one? 50/50 at best.

mattski93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:00 PM
rmartin65

What about this guy- Lithuanian F Daniel Bogdziul - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=68653

rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
What about this guy- Lithuanian F Daniel Bogdziul - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=68653
Those WJ18D2 stats are severely inflated. Obviously he's talented... Maybe KHL is in the cards for him?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:18 PM
rmartin65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Those WJ18D2 stats are severely inflated. Obviously he's talented... Maybe KHL is in the cards for him?
Thats what I was wondering. I am new to the scouting/prospects game, and am trying to figure out what stats at different levels suggest. He has an NHL frame, and those stats are sick. But how weak is D2 compared to D1 and even the top tier?

Old
04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
Thats what I was wondering. I am new to the scouting/prospects game, and am trying to figure out what stats at different levels suggest. He has an NHL frame, and those stats are sick. But how weak is D2 compared to D1 and even the top tier?
Well I would say that if he was exceptionally talented he wouldn't go to Latvia. This is a case like in Poland where a lot of their talent plays in Germany, but it doesn't say anything more than the fact that they're just too good for their country.

If he was anything exceptional he would be in the Swedish Elite League system or in the MHL/KHL like a lot of small-hockey talents have (the Hari's from Hungary, the Kopitar's from Slovenia, etc.).

About the WJCD2 stats, those are u18. When he's so far ahead of others in his development it's expected especially if he is an exceptional talent for his geographic residence. 21 points is out of context too. Lithuania beat China 19-2... Bodgzul had 4 goals and 5 assists for 9 points...

Old
04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
rmartin65

Quote:
Well I would say that if he was exceptionally talented he wouldn't go to Latvia. This is a case like in Poland where a lot of their talent plays in Germany, but it doesn't say anything more than the fact that they're just too good for their country.

If he was anything exceptional he would be in the Swedish Elite League system or in the MHL/KHL like a lot of small-hockey talents have (the Hari's from Hungary, the Kopitar's from Slovenia, etc.).

About the WJCD2 stats, those are u18. When he's so far ahead of others in his development it's expected especially if he is an exceptional talent for his geographic residence. 21 points is out of context too. Lithuania beat China 19-2... Bodgzul had 4 goals and 5 assists for 9 points...
Aaahhhhh, I am getting a better picture of how it works now. Thanks.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
Aaahhhhh, I am getting a better picture of how it works now. Thanks.
And if you were wondering these are the levels for the U18 tournaments (each tier, U18, U20, WC, has relegation so these change and are not the same for every age group)

Championship (top level)
Group A: USA, Russia, Switzerland, Slovakia, Germany.
Group B: Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Canada, Norway.

Division I
Group A in Riga, Latvia, 11-17 April 2011
Participants: Latvia, Hungary, Japan*, Kazakhstan, Great Britain, Italy.

Group B in Maribor, Slovenia, 10-16 April 2011
Participants: Belarus, Denmark, Poland, France, Korea, Slovenia.

Division II
Group A in Brasov, Romania, 19-25 March 2011
Participants: Austria, Romania, Croatia, Serbia, Estonia, New Zealand.

Group B in Donetsk, Ukraine, 27 March - 2 April 2011
Participants: Lithuania, Ukraine, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, China.

Division III
Group A in Taipei City, Chinese Taipei, 11-17 April 2011
Participants: Australia, Turkey, Chinese Taipei, Bulgaria, Mongolia*.

Group B in Mexico City, Mexico, 13-19 March 2011
Participants: Iceland, Mexico, South Africa, Israel, Ireland.

*Mongolia withdrew from the tournament

Old
04-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Any Polish players worth noting?

Old
04-24-2011, 09:40 PM
babyshamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshamble View Post
I just copied this from another post i made in another thread here.

Markus Søberg is in my opinion the most talented Norwegian hockey-player ever. His skating is mindblowing and he plays very physical hockey. He can score goals and creates offense on his own. Should work on his stickhandling and get some more muscles but that will come with age. He reminds me a lot of Mikael Bødker at the same age.

He will play for Frolunda J20 next year. He will also be playing for Team Norway at the Under 18`s in Germany this year. He could be Norways first 1.rounder ever in 2013.

The 94 and 95 generation in Norway looks like one of the strongest ever. I doubt there will be many NHLers but at least a few of these guys will end up in Sweden in a few years.

Markus Søberg had 3 points in 5 games for Team Norway as a 15 year old at the U-18 WC in Germany now. His brother Steffen who is a goalie born in 93 had the second best sv% in the tournament.

Last edited by babyshamble: 04-24-2011 at 09:46 PM.
babyshamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Eyelanders

I found one interesting prospect who scored great points in Germany´s U16 League, and his name is Dominik Kahun. To be honest, I have never seen him playing, but his stats are good (30gp, 69+137=206 in Regular Season). If anyone has seen him playing, it would be great to hear something about him. Sorry if he´s been already mentioned in this thread.

Dominik Kahun @ Eliteprospects: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71940

Last edited by Eyelanders: 05-03-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Eyelanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Any Polish players worth noting?
Some Polish prospects playing abroad:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=89824
Patryk Kaczmarek, playing in Swedish Arlanda Wings U18 Elitserien and U20 first division

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=70181
Filip Starzynski, playing in North America, was captain of Poland's U18 squad in I division U-18 WC earlier this season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=101312
Marcin Pawelski, was also part of the squad, plays in Slovakia, had nice stats this season.

Not sure how much potential these guys have.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:25 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Some Polish prospects playing abroad:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=89824
Patryk Kaczmarek, playing in Swedish Arlanda Wings U18 Elitserien and U20 first division

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=70181
Filip Starzynski, playing in North America, was captain of Poland's U18 squad in I division U-18 WC earlier this season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=101312
Marcin Pawelski, was also part of the squad, plays in Slovakia, had nice stats this season.

Not sure how much potential these guys have.
He is indeed eligible for Poland and all that stuff, however he has always been playing hockey only in Slovakia (his mother is Slovak, father is Polish, Marcin has Polish citizenship only), so I´m not sure whether he can fall into the category of players from non-traditional hockey countries.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Wedenmark

How is it looking right now with a little less than a month to go untill the draft?

For me all countries other than Canada, Sweden, Russia, USA, Czech, Slovakia and Finland is an odd country.

From what ive heard it looks like Denmark will have two drafties, Meyer and Jensen.
Schweiz will have Hoffman and Bärtschi.

Is that all this year?

Wedenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Maverick41

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedenmark View Post
How is it looking right now with a little less than a month to go untill the draft?

For me all countries other than Canada, Sweden, Russia, USA, Czech, Slovakia and Finland is an odd country.

From what ive heard it looks like Denmark will have two drafties, Meyer and Jensen.

Is that all this year?
For Germany Rieder and Noebels will probably be drafted this year. I would be surprised if anyone else gets picked. But stranger things have happened.

Maverick41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Mikkel

Quote:

Is that all this year?
For Denmark Jensen is a lock, and Meyer is one out of a couple of prospects who could be picked up (others are Thomas Spelling, Patrick Bjorkstrand, Jesper Jensen, although Meyer might have the best chance).

I would think a team would pick up Austrian Konstantin Komarek as well. I liked the little I saw from the SEL playoffs at least. (I'd say the Islanders could be interested, already having Grabner and a few other (Swiss) german speaking players, and having watched Luleå carefully before recently signing their 2009 draft pick goalie Anders Nilsson).

Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Wedenmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
For Denmark Jensen is a lock, and Meyer is one out of a couple of prospects who could be picked up (others are Thomas Spelling, Patrick Bjorkstrand, Jesper Jensen, although Meyer might have the best chance).

I would think a team would pick up Austrian Konstantin Komarek as well. I liked the little I saw from the SEL playoffs at least. (I'd say the Islanders could be interested, already having Grabner and a few other (Swiss) german speaking players, and having watched Luleå carefully before recently signing their 2009 draft pick goalie Anders Nilsson).
Forgot Komarek, he should be a lock imo.

Wedenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:25 PM
babyshamble

Quote:

Is that all this year?

Steffen Søberg from Norway should get drafted.

babyshamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:40 AM
thomast

we will see latvian first rounders soon! this younger Bukarts seems to be stud!

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:16 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
For Germany Rieder and Noebels will probably be drafted this year. I would be surprised if anyone else gets picked. But stranger things have happened.
I think Zerressen at least should be picked in the later rounds.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:10 AM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechexpert View Post
Trstenjak has enough talent to be solid player for example in Slovakian Extraliga in the future.
Are you guess or did you see him play ? I hope your predicition is correct

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I thought there was a player from Hungry that was really good? Kind of like Anze Kopiter syndrome. Not as good, but enough potential to make the NHL.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:56 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I thought there was a player from Hungry that was really good? Kind of like Anze Kopiter syndrome. Not as good, but enough potential to make the NHL.
You're probably thinking of Janos Hari. Played NA hockey this past year but at this point is a long term NHL prospect at best (and not really on the radar by the looks of things at this point), and has apparently signed with Modo in Sweden.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
You're probably thinking of Janos Hari. Played NA hockey this past year but at this point is a long term NHL prospect at best (and not really on the radar by the looks of things at this point), and has apparently signed with Modo in Sweden.
Yes! And thanks for the update!

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

*bump*
Sorry, just stumbled across this thread while searching for something else. Coulnd't help myself, needed to reply :-)
Quote:
Nothing notable... Sorry

Dutch League isn't anything to expect anything out of...
I won't argue against that. There are, however, a few talents worth noting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
Sometimes there are Dutch players in the German Junior Leagues, who are not doing too bad.
At the moment, we have Rick van Haren and Luca Heutmekers (both with (DEG Düsseldorf) still in Germany. There are more young Dutch guys in German junior teams, but these are the most notable.

Elia Urlings is currently playing in the Austrian U20-league.

Diego Hofland has acquired German citizenship in order to get a shot at playing DEL (as a Dutch player, he would count against the import restrictions). He cannot play for the Dutch NT anymore.

Julian van Lijden started the season in the NAHL with the Topeka Roadrunners but went down early in the season with a nasty injury.

And then there are our four diamonds in the NCAA Div. I College hockey: Mike Dalhuisen (Quinnipiac) Mitch Bruijsten (Alaska-Anchorage), Steve Mason (Miami Ohio) and Nardo Nagtzaam (Mercyhurst).

Apparently, Daniel Sprong is creating a lot of buzz in Quebec as well.

Ro Herregraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Zamuz

Don't know if anybody said this, but Anze Kopitars brother:
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32799

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote