HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL signs 10 year deal with NBC/Versus

Old
04-19-2011, 09:44 PM
ogie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
I think this is awful for the NHL, I don't care if it is on NBC, but versus is horrible, and not to have a chance to ever get back on ESPN is just frustrating and sickening for TEN MORE YEARS!!! WOW!!!!!
ESPN is not the best place for the NHL. When the nhl was on espn in the past it was before they had the NFL. If the NHL did get a deal with ESPN it would still play second fiddle to football, nascar, college football and basketball and likely baseball. And ESPN doesn't get the NHL on a major network.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
With Comcast, Versus is right after ESPN in the channel listings. It's visible and fairly well promoted.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
ESPN is not the best place for the NHL. When the nhl was on espn in the past it was before they had the NFL. If the NHL did get a deal with ESPN it would still play second fiddle to football, nascar, college football and basketball and likely baseball. And ESPN doesn't get the NHL on a major network.
ESPN deal would likely have games on ABC.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im wondering now if Bettman was privy to a future (now completed) merger between NBC and Comcast (Versus) when he originally signed on with them (OLN). He pretty much buried the NHL on the dial (at first) to the disgust of a lot of fans, but its taken a proverbial 180 now that NBC will have its name, reputation and production style replacing Versus.

Almost like an "i told you so" by Bettman. ESPN would be great in a perfect world. But the NHL would have compromised coverage. This deal is really the most positive thing for the league judging by all the material ive read today.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:13 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Interesting to see the 2nd round is exclusive to Versus now. Intrigued to see how they're gonna fit all the games in on Versus with conflicts between games and whatnot. I suppose they'll use another NBC network if need be.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:15 PM
3Four3

Wait, I'm also hearing about NBC trying to court other sports to that "new channel" if it were to come to pass. Is there any truth to the matter?

That could be big if ESPN were to lose the NFL or NBA.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:17 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Wait, I'm also hearing about NBC trying to court other sports to that "new channel" if it were to come to pass. Is there any truth to the matter?

That could be big if ESPN were to lose the NFL or NBA.
They wouldn't lose them but they would just jump on with Versus as well. I think Versus was interested in the Thursday night football package from the NFL. That would be huge.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Interesting to see the 2nd round is exclusive to Versus now. Intrigued to see how they're gonna fit all the games in on Versus with conflicts between games and whatnot. I suppose they'll use another NBC network if need be.
Yeah itll prob be like the Olympics sharing time on CNBC, MSNBC etc... Which is good because you may have a few more people watching that normally wouldnt when they tune in to see The Last Word or something and instead they get Kings/Sharks.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:20 PM
3Four3

Quote:
They wouldn't lose them but they would just jump on with Versus as well. I think Versus was interested in the Thursday night football package from the NFL. That would be huge.
There aren't a lot of football games on Thursdays. Even if they were to get a football game, they would show it on the channel that has the most viewership: NBC.

However, there's Monday Night Football which used to be a prime staple for ABC. Maybe NBC gains that and shows it on the new channel.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:24 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
There aren't a lot of football games on Thursdays. Even if they were to get a football game, they would show it on the channel that has the most viewership: NBC.

However, there's Monday Night Football which used to be a prime staple for ABC. Maybe NBC gains that and shows it on the new channel.
NBC already has Sunday night and MNF is on ESPN. The Thursday night game is on NFL Network currently so it's not like going to Versus would be out of the question. More people probably get Versus than NFL Network.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
3Four3

Quote:
NBC already has Sunday night and MNF is on ESPN. The Thursday night game is on NFL Network currently so it's not like going to Versus would be out of the question. More people probably get Versus than NFL Network.
But how many Thursday football games are there in the entire season?

You have the season opener, 3 or 2 games on Thanksgiving, and maybe another 2 sometime later on in the season.

With both Sunday and Monday Night, you have a game from Week 1 all the way to Week 17.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
all in all its probably best for the league, even though it hate versus.

i just hope were not on this 18 times a season now....

in 3 years from now this could be huge with the Olympics leading right into the playoff push on nbc

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:33 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
But how many Thursday football games are there in the entire season?

You have the season opener, 3 or 2 games on Thanksgiving, and maybe another 2 sometime later on in the season.

With both Sunday and Monday Night, you have a game from Week 1 all the way to Week 17.
I wanna say from week 10 or so on. Still big though. With the NFL on Versus, it would draw more interest to the channel and would probably force some providers to take Versus off a premium tier and put it on a basic tier with ESPN.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:35 PM
3Four3

Quote:
I wanna say from week 10 or so on. Still big though. With the NFL on Versus, it would draw more interest to the channel and would probably force some providers to take Versus off a premium tier and put it on a basic tier with ESPN.
All in all, if NBC is serious and they can manage to get some coverage of both the NFL and NBA, that definitely is a big boost.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:39 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
also read somewhere that versus wanted tnt's 6 races for NASCAR when the contract is up...which would also draw interest to the channel because the Daytona night race on July 4th weekend is part of it.

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
My initial thought was we'll get to see Crosby go through puberty

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Versus/NBC Sports will need to get it's HD **** in gear if it wants to get taken seriously.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah itll prob be like the Olympics sharing time on CNBC, MSNBC etc... Which is good because you may have a few more people watching that normally wouldnt when they tune in to see The Last Word or something and instead they get Kings/Sharks.
A few months ago, I've heard USA could be a possibility to show games.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:08 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
this might be a huge move if NBC is able to give Versus a facelift and become a legit competitor to ESPN. NBC Sports or something

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:23 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
Playoff hockey without Gary Thorne and Bill Clement just isn't the same, despite Gary Thorne's inability to pronounce certain names.
Agreed. Jack Edwards as well.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:43 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560238

I think this is awful for the NHL, I don't care if it is on NBC, but versus is horrible, and not to have a chance to ever get back on ESPN is just frustrating and sickening for TEN MORE YEARS!!! WOW!!!!!
Good deal for the NHL and NHL fans. Since the Comcast/NBC deal, the Versus telecasts have improved already. Better announcers, more replays, and so on. It will continue to improve, and there will be more games.. As to remind the NHL of how poorly they were treated, ESPN bid for one game per week on ESPN2 this time. ESPN did a terrible job with the NHL, and once they got the NBA they totally disregarded hockey, The best thing about this deal...........10 more years without Gary Thorne!

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:13 AM
OverTheCap

I'm not sure how I feel about this, it really depends on how the Versus re-branding goes. As other have mentioned, their production values will have to improve if they are trying to sell themselves as a top-tier sports channel. Also, more hockey and college football and less bullfighting, please.

I do like some of the changes that Versus made this year after Comcast took over. They finally realized that Beninati is a horrible announcer and that most hockey fans would rather not look at Engblom's mullet in the studio. NHL Overtime was a vast improvement over The Daily Line or whatever show used to be in that time slot (still doesn't compare to NHL 2Night, though).

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:18 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
*Waits for Bettman flaming*

Good for the NHL, IMO. Versus actually cares about presenting NHL hockey, while ESPN would push it back for basketball. I like Versus' presentation as well. I really don't understand the hate for it.

04-20-2011, 01:25 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
*Waits for Bettman flaming*

Good for the NHL, IMO. Versus actually cares about presenting NHL hockey, while ESPN would push it back for basketball. I like Versus' presentation as well. I really don't understand the hate for it.
It's just annoying that they can't seem to get replays right and they do things like mess up the PP clock.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i guess im in the minority, but i think Versus does a pretty good job actually. NHL is their big anchor, and they treat it pretty well.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote