HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings name Hughes & Clancey Monarchs coaches

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2005, 12:22 PM
King Blazer

vCash: 500
Kings name Hughes & Clancey Monarchs coaches

08/08/05

Monarchs Hire New Coaching Staff

MANCHESTER, NH – The Manchester Monarchs, the primary affiliate of the National Hockey League’s Los Angeles Kings, have hired Jim Hughes as the Monarchs Head Coach and Derek Clancey as the Assistant Coach, Monarchs General Manager Kevin Gilmore announced today.

limk: http://www.monarchshockey.com/fullstory.php?id=1705

The title is a bit misleading as they didn't hire a new staff, they just made the previously "relieved of coaching responsibilities" Assistant Coach the head coach and brought the Reading Coach to Manchester...

Old
08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
jt

No surprise here.

I sure hope Hubie knows what he's doing.

Old
08-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Well KB, you had it pegged all along.

Old
08-08-2005, 03:26 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Opinions?

Old
08-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Opinions?
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Old
08-08-2005, 04:58 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Opinions?
Inside job!

They're trying to spin it on TV right now...The part about "cleaning the slate" and taking a "fresh look" isn't selling this...

It is what it is. Hubie making a change and exercising his right to go with his guy. If they're going to hold Hubie accountable, they've got to let him call some of the shots...

Could be watching the Wizard of Oz for this interview:

Dorothy: Well, I-I think that it, that it wasn't enough just to want to see Jim Hughes and Derek Clancey, and it's that if I ever go looking for a new coach again, I won't look any further than my own backyard because, if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with. Is that right?

Last edited by King Blazer: 08-08-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old
08-08-2005, 05:30 PM
fuzzerson
ˇÁndele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Is that Carolyn Hughes?

Old
08-08-2005, 05:33 PM
mysteryman

Im not privy to stuff at Manchester but why is Hughes so hated?

Old
08-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman
Oh, I don't think he's hated it was just the fact that he, along with the rest of the Monarchs coaching staff, was just fired. The reason cited was the failure of the team to make it out of the first round of the playoffs for the fourth straight year. Hughes was the teams defensive coach and, IMO, it was the defense that failed the team. I don't know but to me you don't clean house only to track some of the same dirt back in. It would have been better if they let Boudreau go and just moved Hughes up in the first place. It's hard to swallow the "After an extensive search, Jim was the best man for the job" line that is being thrown out there.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:03 PM
BINGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKen48
Oh, I don't think he's hated it was just the fact that he, along with the rest of the Monarchs coaching staff, was just fired. The reason cited was the failure of the team to make it out of the first round of the playoffs for the fourth straight year. Hughes was the teams defensive coach and, IMO, it was the defense that failed the team. I don't know but to me you don't clean house only to track some of the same dirt back in. It would have been better if they let Boudreau go and just moved Hughes up in the first place. It's hard to swallow the "After an extensive search, Jim was the best man for the job" line that is being thrown out there.
I also think that coupled with the fact that EVERY team ran and pushed our goalies around with no real protection. It was no secret that Hughes tried to keep the D on a leash. Well maybe except Joe.......although I doubt he listened.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman
Why does it have to be "hated"? I can't speak for anyone else but me, but I don't think the vibe you're picking up is hate. It's derision and disdain and contempt and it's not directed at Jim Hughes. That's not to say that Hughes is the best pick for the job either.

The issue is the Kings' management of the whole debacle of firing the Monarchs staff and then hiring one of them back. It was pretty evident that during the playoffs the Kings were micromanaging the Monarchs bench, and not just this year, either. The Monarchs get eliminated from the playoffs and the Kings fire the Monarchs coaching staff, including Jim Hughes.

Hughes had two big responsibilities: defensive coordinator and the PP. The PP was pretty bad last year (the Monarchs had one of the worst short-handed goals against averages last season), and the defensive corps wasn't much better. Why is he being promoted to head coach?

So, Hughes is fired, the Kings go this whole charade of searching high and low for the best possible candidate to replace Boudreau, and their final choice is the man they fired in the first place whose abilities are certainly suspect.

Other Monarchs fans can chime in with their opinions, but that's my take.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:09 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGO
It was no secret that Hughes tried to keep the D on a leash. Well maybe except Joe.......although I doubt he listened.
Cammalleri, Mike 79-games played ....works for me...

Old
08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Osprey

From another article:

Quote:
Boudreau, Hughes and assistant Dane Jackson were all fired last month after the parent club Los Angeles Kings gave each one-year extensions on their contracts. Monarchs general manager Kevin Gilmore said the firings were the result of the club's failure to advance in the playoffs.
I wish the big club would have the same demand for results.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:46 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKen48
I don't know but to me you don't clean house only to track some of the same dirt back in.
Sooooo, New England!

Old
08-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Sooooo, New England!

Old
08-08-2005, 09:33 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
So, Hughes is fired, the Kings go this whole charade of searching high and low for the best possible candidate to replace Boudreau, and their final choice is the man they fired in the first place whose abilities are certainly suspect.

Other Monarchs fans can chime in with their opinions, but that's my take.

reggie & mr ken, you hit the nail right on the head.

on another board, someone called hughes the right puppet for the puppet masters in LA.

Old
08-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Chartrand

God forbid us Monarchs fans actually get a BAD affiliate...like Colorado, or Tampa Bay or something like that. Then again, it would be appropriate.

Old
08-09-2005, 11:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz
reggie & mr ken, you hit the nail right on the head.

on another board, someone called hughes the right puppet for the puppet masters in LA.
yeah that was me who said that. cant remember if it was here or over on the AHL boards.
I cant say I am suprised by this move. Andy Murray gets the coach(es) he can control even more so now. I agree that this whole situation was handled rather poorly and the motives of how this thing went down should be questioned.

Old
08-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Andy Murray has an NHL team to worry about. He has enough problems putting together a 23 man roster and determining lines and pairings for the Kings than to be controlling another group of 20+ players he doesn't get to see every night.

This shouldn't be some conspiracy theory.

Old
08-10-2005, 06:43 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Andy Murray has an NHL team to worry about. He has enough problems putting together a 23 man roster and determining lines and pairings for the Kings than to be controlling another group of 20+ players he doesn't get to see every night.
Then perhaps he shouldn't be meddling in the day-to-day affairs of the team and micromanaging the bench during the playoffs, hmmm? Good point, Zig.

Old
08-10-2005, 11:11 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
Then perhaps he shouldn't be meddling in the day-to-day affairs of the team and micromanaging the bench during the playoffs, hmmm? Good point, Zig.

exactly im sure that was BB's decision to start Garon every game of the playoffs when he clearly was not the answer. No there wasnt any chance that Andy Murray was telling the Monarchs brass who to start no matter what.
That sure worked out well didnt.

Closed Thread