HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 - Kings vs. Sharks - 04/19/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-20-2011, 03:05 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They had to get past the Detroit Red Wings. That team only lost 13 games all year. They finished with 131pts.

I dont think a mentally handicapped monkey could pull that off.
I assume you are just playing dumb or did you forget the defensive disaster this team was when he coached here previously? Tippett takes a marginally talented team and makes the playoffs two years in a row, while Crow takes a more talented squad and misses twice in the same span.

What am I missing here?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:07 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Like which ones?

the 1st one which was the wide tip in?

the 2nd one which he reacts to the actual pass and sharks get a lucky bounce?

the 3rd one which is a cross ice timer?

the 4th one which i could have scored?

the 5th one which is Pavelski with a clean shot 10 feet out?

or the last 1?

A keeper making any 1 of those 6 saves goes down as straight up robbing the shooter and probably nets you 1 of the saves of the entire playoffs
Ryan Clowe's second goal when everyone was watching Dan Boyle and he dished it off to Clowe for the open net. The Willie Mitchell one was pretty bad too.

The cross ice timer was Murray's fault for putting Johnson and Doughty together at such a crucial time in the game.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:08 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Frolov loafing>>>>>>>>>>Penner loafing.
I have been holding out hope and haven't been as down on Penner as most of you guys, but this is definitely correct. At least Frolov knew how to play defense and would still control the puck on the boards in the offensive zone when he wasn't scoring.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:09 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
I have no thoughts on this disaster. Worst Kings loss since St Louis playoffs.
I said the same thing while walking out: worst loss since the Courtnall Incident.

Only difference is that I was in the building for this one.

Absolutely brutal. No way they come back from this. I don't gamble anymore, but smart money is on SJ the rest of the way.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:10 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

One last thing before I go to bed; I think it's pretty clear that without Kopitar, this team will go as far as Johnson and Doughty go. Other then a few plays, they were unnoticeable.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:11 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Speaking of Tippett, assuming he's not retained or is let go if Phoenix moves back to Winnepeg.

I would love to see him replace Jamie Kompon. Murray's not getting canned anytime soon, he's joined at the hip with DL.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:11 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Ryan Clowe's second goal when everyone was watching Dan Boyle and he dished it off to Clowe for the open net. The Willie Mitchell one was pretty bad too.

The cross ice timer was Murray's fault for putting Johnson and Doughty together at such a crucial time in the game.
are you serious? Dan Boyle was 15 feet out with a clear sight of goal, and you want Quick to be back in his net predicting Clowe to be wide open for a pass? Quick was playing the shot like he was meant to be.

The Willie Mitchell 1 is so far from bad. Its not like he moved to early or anything, Clowe passed it, so Quick moved in reaction to the pass, and an unlucky bounce beat him. Would you prefer that in all situation like that, Quick is 1 second slower moving across the net just to make sure the Dman doesnt deflect it in?

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:15 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I assume you are just playing dumb or did you forget the defensive disaster this team was when he coached here previously? Tippett takes a marginally talented team and makes the playoffs two years in a row, while Crow takes a more talented squad and misses twice in the same span.

What am I missing here?
You are right. Of course. I forgot.

I guess my point would be, I would like to see the Kings play a more aggressive up tempo game. I find Murray's system to be stifling, and frankly quite boring to watch, although this series has been the most exciting in the first round.

Tippet teams are boring teams. I wouldnt want to see that for the Kings. Ya the guy has success, but if the price for that is boring hockey, count me out.

Crawford has a more aggressive offensive style. I like that type of game, and would like to see the Kings move in that direction if and when a change is made, which I think it should be. I mean, ya you have Kopitar out, but this team should have finished much higher in the regular season imo.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:17 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I said the same thing while walking out: worst loss since the Courtnall Incident.

Only difference is that I was in the building for this one.

Absolutely brutal. No way they come back from this. I don't gamble anymore, but smart money is on SJ the rest of the way.
The Sharks are renowned choke artists. I wouldnt be giving them anything yet. The way the Kings are playing, anything is possible. I mean nobody was giving the Kings a chance when this thing started. Win next game and it is all tied up.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Dustin Penner is a fat lazy oaf. That is all I have to add.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Crawford is a joke. Guy has now failed in his last three stops. Probably done as an NHL coach.

Murray is a bit better but I don't see this as a championship caliber system either.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Johnny Utah

In hindsight, Lombardi could've kept Marco Sturm, shut him down for a few weeks, put Harrold on waivers and recalled Moller to play with Kopitar and Brown and Williams with Stoll and Smyth....

We could've kept our 1st rounder and Teubert and eventually Sturm would've come back with speed in the playoffs.

In 18 regular season games with the Caps Sturm had 8 points.

Penner has 6 points in 19 regular season games with LA.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would hire Tippett in a second, but unfortunately this isn't EHM 07 and we won't be so lucky =/ I would give anything for Kopitar to be magically healed by now, we need him bad. I wish Murray had used a timeout or a goaltending change, but it is Murray and you can count those on practically one hand throughout the entire season. Penner was a ghost, and Westgarth was actually skating hard and playing his ass off... Just embarrassing all around.

Easily the most crushing defeat I have experienced with this team since 1993. It was painful walking outside Staples. Like three security guards around the city asked me if we won... There is just no describing it.

We have no choice but to move onto the next game. The momentum is lost, but we can put ourselves back up to the position we were in prior to this game with a strong victory the next game... The series is only 2-1 SJ, all it takes is a couple of wins. Onto the next game...

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:22 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Penner will be better next year since it's a contract year but man does the guy need to play with talent or no pressure.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:24 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
In hindsight, Lombardi could've kept Marco Sturm, shut him down for a few weeks, put Harrold on waivers and recalled Moller to play with Kopitar and Brown and Williams with Stoll and Smyth....

We could've kept our 1st rounder and Teubert and eventually Sturm would've come back with speed in the playoffs.

In 18 regular season games with the Caps Sturm had 8 points.

Penner has 6 points in 19 regular season games with LA.
and a couple of BIG FAT MINUSES to go with his slow @** feet.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:25 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Get your head on straight

Vancouver went into Chicago today and intended to close out the series. They beat the Blackhawks three consecutive games. Tonight was fait accompli. Chicago handed the Canucks their ass 7-2, the same Canucks that looked unbeatable.

Sharks in five. That’s all we heard. We took them to overtime in game one. Could have won it. Didn’t. We fed them their teeth in game two.

Tonight, before we reached the half way mark of the game, we were up 4-0. That was 8 unanswered goals. Felt good? Meant nothing. Hockey is life. Life doesn’t come with magic pills and perpetual pleasure. One day, you’re on top of what you think is the world. Look away for a moment and you have tire tracks on your back and your mother is reading your eulogy.

You want to be angry about tonight’s loss, go ahead and waste your time. Blame Penner for being a useless putz. Castigate Murray for failing to call a timeout. Forget for a moment that our opponents were supposed to walk all over us. Instead, the two games they won have gone down to the wire and the one they lost was a blowout. Weren’t they unbeatable? Wasn’t our offense supposed to stop at two goals per game? Wasn’t San Jose the elite team and us anchored in futility? The game is played on the ice, not on paper nor from the lips of media prognosticators. Every game is a small encapsulation of life and you have a front row seat to it all.

Whether you are with me at Staples Center or not, you have a job to do. Cheer this team to victory. Tonight, you did your part. They failed to do theirs. Thursday, they try again. Thursday, they win again if or when they so choose. Either way, it’s the LA Kings that control their own destiny. Your hockey team and mine is good enough to beat the San Jose Sharks and the Kings will win this series if they want it more. All the Sharks have shown me is that they have a porous defense and suspect goaltending wrapped around some talented forwards. We lose to them and we gave them the series. We beat them and we prove what you feel in your heart – that we are the better team. But even that doesn’t guarantee a damn thing.

Life is for the living. The Stanley Cup is won by the team that wants it more than 29 others. Is that your LA Kings? Is that mine? Set aside your lament and put your head on straight. Your boys need you on Thursday. A win then makes this a three game series and proves something else you already know. The victory you so crave is well within our grasp. GO KINGS!

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:25 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Oh one more thing that really grates me. Here is what a veteran player Scuderi said about the 4th Sharks goal, which could be looked upon as the turning point:

Quote:
"Certainly when they got the fourth one, I thought we definitely had a lot of panic in our game, and it usually goes south from there.”
Now, this was obvious to everyone watching at home and in the stands. So the question remains, why did Terry Murray not use his timeout when it was obvious that the Kings were starting to scramble? They strayed from their structured game, and the defensive collapse was very apparent for anyone with any experience watching and playing the game.

I literally sat and called three goals right before they happened, particularly the goal that White setup and the goal where Clifford lost his balance that resulted in an open point man. It was obvious this team needed a timeout to calm them down, but as usual, Terry Murray stood and watched in stupor.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:27 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Terry is allergic to timeouts.

Quote:
(on the possibility of calling timeout or changing goalies…)
MURRAY: “No, I wasn’t thinking about changing goalies. The goals are far apart. The two at the end of the period are the only ones that are close. They scored on a power play in there. We come right back and make it a 5-3 game. We have plenty of TV timeouts to talk about the stuff I just talked about with you right no, which we were doing. The attention was there but we, for some reason, refused to do what we were supposed to do.”

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:28 AM
I am the Liquor

Zad>Terry Murray.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:28 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Penner will be better next year since it's a contract year but man does the guy need to play with talent or no pressure.
He needs to lose weight and get in real NHL game shape. Watch him when he does hustle and you will see he has very limited stamina. As a guy who has some extra pounds and used to be lots faster, I promise you that when you skate like he does, you need to take off the extra pounds and work hard on increasing your stamina. It can do wonders.

Does anyone doubt that is his problem?

Old
04-20-2011, 03:30 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Oh one more thing that really grates me. Here is what a veteran player Scuderi said about the 4th Sharks goal, which could be looked upon as the turning point:

Now, this was obvious to everyone watching at home and in the stands. So the question remains, why did Terry Murray not use his timeout when it was obvious that the Kings were starting to scramble? They strayed from their structured game, and the defensive collapse was very apparent for anyone with any experience watching and playing the game.

I literally sat and called three goals right before they happened, particularly the goal that White setup and the goal where Clifford lost his balance that resulted in an open point man. It was obvious this team needed a timeout to calm them down, but as usual, Terry Murray stood and watched in stupor.
Hey,

Someone just told me Murray was quoted as saying

"We had time to talk about what was going on during the TV timeouts"

If that is true, he really said that then he again should be relieved of his duties five minutes ago. Everyone knows a TO in hockey is not to talk about strategy or anything like that. It is to calm things down and prevent a collapse like what happened tonight.

How do we get stuck with such awful coaches?

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:32 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

The more I think about it,the second period was a track meet. They were Carl Lewis, and we were Richard Lewis

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:32 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Tippet = Boring hockey.

What about Marc Crawford?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:33 AM
eleventy

Just got back from the game. Went from euphoric to total disaster in a period. The only memory I'd like to carry from this game is Heidi taking a picture with my Kenny G poster.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:35 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Took a pretty awful Dallas team and made them decent.

Won a Stanley cup to boot.

He isnt much of a broadcaster but he is a pretty good coach.

Did you watch Dallas under Tippet or do you like watching Phoenix games now?

Seriously.
Ya seriously.

Crawford was our coach before Terry Murray. We are well aware of his coaching record.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote