HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tommy Pyatt - Quiet Performer

Old
04-17-2011, 01:57 AM
m00ks

vCash: 500
Big ups for Tommy P. Absolutely hell of a game from him. Honest work from him and his linemates. There was a shift where they had Boston pinned in their zone to eat up time late in the third. Great game by him.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 02:45 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Ok I change my mind. Pyatt has played great and as long as he keeps playing that way I will support dressing him over Pouliot.

He didn't play like this during the season. He surprised me tonight.
Sorry, but he DID play like this during the season.

I kept pointing out the club's record with and without him in the lineup and telling the rest of the group that it was no coincidence that sitting him out in favour of mistake-prone or slow players was itself a major mistake.

In my opinion, the difference during the season was not Pyatt. Pyatt pretty much plays the same way every time he steps on the ice. No, the difference in the regular season was the fans. During the season they were distracted by the wish to see goals and fights, and thus were frustrated by Pyatt. I also think that when he was beat up by Gregory Campbell illegally using the hard elbow pad to inflict damage, the fanbase soured on him even more. He became the lightning rod for fans' frustration that the Habs were not physical enough for their liking.

Now that people's over-reaction to the "beatings" has diminished, and now that the games count even more starting with the stretch run after we first became in danger of not making the playoffs in quite a while (not coincidentally while Pyatt often sat out), many of the negative fans have come around and are now in Tommy's corner.

It's gratifying for me as a coach of a team sport to see a guy like this appreciated again. He's a coach's dream.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 02:55 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
i sincerely have to agree, pyatt played like this all the time, its just it gets SERIOUSLY more magnified in the playoffs , and i have to say, FORGET what hes done the last 2 games.....even last year he was a STAND OUT for us!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Mr. Hab

Love how some are now loving Pyatt...about time!!

I never understood why many (not all but many!) Hab fans constantly put Pyatt down. I've been a huuuuuge fan of Pyatt ever since his solid defensive work at last year's playoffs.

Pyatt: cheap for several years ; solid 3rd or 4th liner ; solid for Pk ; 100% reliable for getting the puck out of our zone ; solid for protecting a lead ; one of the rare players that makes me feel VERY relaxed/confident when he has the puck in our zone...he delivers EVERY SINGLE time at getting it out. He's fast and VERY useful (VERY underrated) and doesn't take stupid penalties (in fact I can't remember him ever taking a silly penalty, ever!!).

Go Pyatt Go!!

Pyatt makes me feel pretty good about the Gomez+Pyatt for McDonagh trade. Gotta give to receive and that trade, IMO, is quite fair (Rangers could use Gomez and Pyatt, imo). Too many Hab fans are wasting their time being miserable about that trade...not me. I'm more than ok with it. Hope it's ok to write this 'cause it's 100% true!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
He's a guy we need to be successful. He leads by example.

Get POULIOT off the ice!
Yes, and who do you want to put instead? It's true, Pouliot is invisible out there, mostly. But he hasn't really been a menace either. Besides, I don't see who you can replace him with at this very moment seeing we have 2 injured O and I wouldn't want to put a freshly picked player from Hamilton. Let's hope that the amount of effort put by most of the team rubs on Pouliot too, cause we know that once Pouliot wakes up, he can be clutch. So far the hole team's been playing well except maybe 2-3 players (that's even arguable). Let's keep Pouliot in, he hasn't caused turnovers. And if, he wakes up, we'll all be glad about it, may it be a goal, an assist or even just some physical play.

I'm glad Pyatt's getting some recognition for his hard work as I've always defended him. The kid's still kind of a rookie. He doesn't score much, but at this point, that's the only thing he needs to improve. Rarely does he make any mistakes, and he gets to play against top players too. I clearly remember him stealing pucks from Crosby and Ovechkin. He's not on top lines, so him not scoring isn't a big deal. But it's an asset he can develop.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Aside from Pouliot developing poor skating all of a sudden, what has he done wrong ? He tries, he battles for the puck, he gets back on d and gets off the ice fast.

You don't need to find someone to hate if there's no one to hate. Just wait, if we lose the next two games, everyone will be thinking this entire team sucks.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Aside from Pouliot developing poor skating all of a sudden, what has he done wrong ? He tries, he battles for the puck, he gets back on d and gets off the ice fast.

You don't need to find someone to hate if there's no one to hate. Just wait, if we lose the next two games, everyone will be thinking this entire team sucks.
Agreed. Pouliot isn't lighting it up, but he's not doing anything wrong really. He's playing less than 8min, and if ever we lost a Cammy or Gionta during a game for wtv reason, at least we can always hope for him being able to temporarily step in.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 05:57 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
You don't keep a player in the lineup because he isn't doing anything wrong. He is not adding anything. His constant fumbling of the puck, lack of net presence, killing offensive drives (I am getting tired of him dumping the puck for DD to go and battle for it).

I saw more from Weber last game than Pouliot the last month or so. When Halpern comes back he is out, and we all know that is what Martin will do.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 06:29 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Agreed. Pouliot isn't lighting it up, but he's not doing anything wrong really. He's playing less than 8min, and if ever we lost a Cammy or Gionta during a game for wtv reason, at least we can always hope for him being able to temporarily step in.
That's just it. He's a poor skater and misses chances because he can't handle the puck. Almost like his stick is too long. He's an AHLer.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 06:41 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
That's just it. He's a poor skater and misses chances because he can't handle the puck. Almost like his stick is too long. He's an AHLer.
Pouliot is a poor skater?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Pouliot is a poor skater?
Haven't you noticed how many times he trips or slips without being touched?

Pouliot has the skills, he just needs to pull his head out of his ass.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 07:46 PM
ChoseLa

Pyatt is Pleky stripped from his offensive skillz.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:57 PM
dustyrockon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Pyatt is Pleky stripped from his offensive skillz.
Pyatt is absolutely great defensively, and I`ve always loved him. He might lack some offensive touch, but his speed should honestly forgive that. Not to mention it makes him that much better at backchecking and getting the puck from other players who think they have time or space.

Plek as of late has been ehhh... but Hes still a beast! He needs to get more comfortable with playoffs I think.

dustyrockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:32 AM
HabsNation514

I think Pyatt will develop a scoring touch with time. Even though it's not his role, his work ethic and drive will translate into success.

HabsNation514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:41 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNation514 View Post
I think Pyatt will develop a scoring touch with time. Even though it's not his role, his work ethic and drive will translate into success.
It's true that in every league he played in, he learned to adjust and up his production after a season or two. Last year in Hamilton, he was almost ppg, way ahead of Ryan White for instance.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:57 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
did pyatt even lose a battle tonight?

He was terrific in getting the puck out when it had to come out, and eating time in the offensive zone. He's one of the most reliable guys in making sure the danger is averted. He's not going to cost you and he knows the right play. He's a coach's player.

I've liked him all year, but during playoff time, I start to remember why I love him.
After Price, Pk, Gill, I identified Pyatt as the man. It's all about mathups right now. But let's face it, this is not the line that will win the series. The Habs are a =team

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 07:28 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
*cough* Pouliot *cough*

It's only a matter of time before Pouliot takes a boneheaded penalty that cost us a game, on top of falling everywhere and not scoring goals and not playing on the PK and not providing anything of value to a hockey team.
Called it.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Called it.
Pouliot got the penalty at the end of the 1st period (19:56).
It was already 2-0 and the team played like it was dead, until...maybe Pouliot woe them up a little?

I actually thought Pouliot was really trying to wake everyone up with the attempt at removing Boychuk from the game...was gonna be a solid bodycheck, but gotta admit it was charging (Boychuk came close to really getting it). And then he fought Ference.

1st goal (3:11): Hamrlik was too casual and gave the puck carrier way too much time to make a good pass...leading to the 1st goal.

2nd goal (14:38): Horton at side of net...Price missed it by an inch. I'm a huge Price fan but Price at his best would have made the save (would have covered the angle properly).

Not sure Pouliot deserved to be benched like that.
He was trying his best to wake the team up, no? (something that shouldn't happen in playoffs...falling asleep or being way too casual). It could have been 3-0, anyways...game 4 will be huge.

Old
04-19-2011, 06:40 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Pouliot got the penalty at the end of the 1st period (19:56).
It was already 2-0 and the team played like it was dead, until...maybe Pouliot woe them up a little?

I actually thought Pouliot was really trying to wake everyone up with the attempt at removing Boychuk from the game...was gonna be a solid bodycheck, but gotta admit it was charging (Boychuk came close to really getting it). And then he fought Ference.

1st goal (3:11): Hamrlik was too casual and gave the puck carrier way too much time to make a good pass...leading to the 1st goal.

2nd goal (14:38): Horton at side of net...Price missed it by an inch. I'm a huge Price fan but Price at his best would have made the save (would have covered the angle properly).

Not sure Pouliot deserved to be benched like that.
He was trying his best to wake the team up, no? (something that shouldn't happen in playoffs...falling asleep or being way too casual). It could have been 3-0, anyways...game 4 will be huge.
I thought Benoit was benched when he caused the too many men on the ice penalty after already taking the dumb charging penalty with 3 seconds left in the first period.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
HabsNation514

Pyatt had at least one very good scoring chance last night.

HabsNation514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I thought Benoit was benched when he caused the too many men on the ice penalty after already taking the dumb charging penalty with 3 seconds left in the first period.
I didn't know that...wasn't aware if that was the case.

I agree with the dumb charging part, but...if Pouliot put less mustard on that attempt at throwing a big bodycheck towards Boychuk, it wouldn't have been a dumb penalty. It could have given Mtl some momentum...a bit of a ''guys!! wake the **** up...we're in the playoffs''.

No panic we're leading 2-1, but I really believe our Habs could have gone for a 3-0 lead. They were invisible for the first 30minutes. Not to remove any credit towards the Bruins.

Old
04-20-2011, 06:37 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

I really think Pyatt could become an elite defensive forward, he's already very good (ok he doesn't score... but he forechecks and backchecks so well that opponents doesn't either!). And he gets his chances, he just doesn't have alot of finish, but I sure like him with Eller and White, kid line getting under the skin of the Booins...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote