HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL staying with NBC/Versus in 10-year/$2B exclusive rights deal

Old
04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
So we'll be getting at least a game a night?

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I admit to being ignorant about the financial portion of the NHL so can anyone tell me if this will effect the salary cap at all or is it strictly the NHL and the owners who benefit?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I admit to being ignorant about the financial portion of the NHL so can anyone tell me if this will effect the salary cap at all or is it strictly the NHL and the owners who benefit?
The salary cap will receive a bump, but not this coming year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
healthyscratch

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...-nhl-nbc-call/

Quote:
UPDATE: VERSUS will be re-named within 90 days, according to Dick Ebersol.

Every playoff game from the Conference Semi-finals on will be on NBC and VERSUS.

Every playoff game period will be on either NBC, VERSUS or another NBC/Comcast channel, so every playoff game will air nationally.

VERSUS will air 90 exclusive games next year. They aired 77 total last year, but 25 were bonus games. This will be 90 games airing exclusively in home markets.

The deal is through the 2020-21 season.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Good. I hope they get bonus games on top of those 90. If I ever have to miss another Flyers' playoff game because VS is showing Lacross, I'm going to explode.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:29 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
I agree with this, but I actually don't like any of the NBC clowns.
my favorite national broadcast team has always been Gary Thorne and Bill Clement. Wish NBC would bring those two back together.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
my favorite national broadcast team has always been Gary Thorne and Bill Clement. Wish NBC would bring those two back together.
Thorne was under contract with ESPN for a few years after the NHL deal expired... not sure what his deal would be for hockey, but he also does Orioles games. Obviously Clement seems like he's slid into half-retirement and has a pretty good deal going right now... and NBC is clearly pretty married to Emerick.

Old
04-19-2011, 04:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I hoped they would have picked up some sort of third wheel for broadcasting occasional games (ie: NBA- ESPN/ABC/TNT). Figure its unlikely now.

What they need to do now is to get Versus into the same amount of households that ESPN is in. The NHL deserves similar coverage, just without the tabloid-esque nature that ESPN reports football and basketball now.

They should also set up a solid group of broadcasters, instead of snatching announcers from their teams (Doc/NJ, Beninati/WAS). Kenny Albert was a real stretch last night...

In twitter world, Buccigross and Barnaby seemed really distraught that ESPN didn't land any hockey again. I feel bad for them, ESPN actually has a lot of loyal hockey guys and girls. They don't run that company.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I hoped they would have picked up some sort of third wheel for broadcasting occasional games (ie: NBA- ESPN/ABC/TNT). Figure its unlikely now.

What they need to do now is to get Versus into the same amount of households that ESPN is in. The NHL deserves similar coverage, just without the tabloid-esque nature that ESPN reports football and basketball now.

They should also set up a solid group of broadcasters, instead of snatching announcers from their teams (Doc/NJ, Beninati/WAS). Kenny Albert was a real stretch last night...

In twitter world, Buccigross and Barnaby seemed really distraught that ESPN didn't land any hockey again. I feel bad for them, ESPN actually has a lot of loyal hockey guys and girls. They don't run that company.
I mean... they have a pretty regular stable of broadcasters. Not sure what you think they should do different there. It isn't uncommon for national broadcasts to use local broadcasters... ESPN was doing it on Sunday Night Baseball for the last 20 years.

Old
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Best part of this is it means only 1 round of dealing with Jack Edwards in the playoffs starting next year instead of 2.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Thorne was under contract with ESPN for a few years after the NHL deal expired... not sure what his deal would be for hockey, but he also does Orioles games. Obviously Clement seems like he's slid into half-retirement and has a pretty good deal going right now... and NBC is clearly pretty married to Emerick.
I know Thorne does Orioles games. I thought he was one of the announcer's for the olympics? maybe I'm wrong though.

EDIT: I am wrong. I must be thinking of something else.

Last edited by FlyerSithLord: 04-19-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old
04-19-2011, 08:55 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
I mean... they have a pretty regular stable of broadcasters. Not sure what you think they should do different there. It isn't uncommon for national broadcasts to use local broadcasters... ESPN was doing it on Sunday Night Baseball for the last 20 years.
true, maybe I should have worded it better...increase their stable of broadcasters

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:17 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Doc Emerick is the man. He is not a homer, I don't care what anyone says. He is the absolute best.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Best part of this is it means only 1 round of dealing with Jack Edwards in the playoffs starting next year instead of 2.
Until they peg him to do playoff games anyways. Versus has had him do it in the past.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:28 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Doc Emerick is the man. He is not a homer, I don't care what anyone says. He is the absolute best.
I never liked Emerick... even when I was younger and he did the Flyers, I always couldn't stand him. Don't really know why.

Old
04-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I never liked Emerick... even when I was younger and he did the Flyers, I always couldn't stand him. Don't really know why.
I can't stand his nasally ****ing voice. DRIVE! **** he's annoying as ****.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thorne was doing the frozen 4 tourney as well. Hes better then anyting versus offers up, but I dont blame him for wanting to cut back on his workload

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:23 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Not a game a night, and NBC will not be showing 100 games.
Versus and NBC will combine to show 100 games (Versus will have 90). This season, Versus had 77 (52 exclusive) and NBC had 10. The NHL spin doctors are saying the increase is 38 games (from 62 games to 100), but it is really just 13 games.
The key is in the playoffs, where every playoff game is going to be shown nationally on some NBC channel. And from the conference semifinals on will be national TV only, meaning bigger ratings because games won't also be on CSN, NESN, MSG or any other regional sports net (a double-bonus, as Phillies fans won't have their games relegated to TCN). Higher ratings, over the course of time, will make the NHL even more valuable the next time the TV deal is up.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:52 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

In pro sports, Thorne was always a baseball man first. If VS ever gets baseball, I think you'll see him jump ship then since he wasn't pegged for Sunday Night Baseball. Thorne likes hockey, obviously, but not enough to jump ship.

Old
04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
In pro sports, Thorne was always a baseball man first. If VS ever gets baseball, I think you'll see him jump ship then since he wasn't pegged for Sunday Night Baseball. Thorne likes hockey, obviously, but not enough to jump ship.
Actually, that's not true at all... he gave up his Mets gig to do the Devils essentially.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Actually, that's not true at all... he gave up his Mets gig to do the Devils essentially.
Then he left that to go do more baseball for ESPN. Things change is you're willing to pay, he does have a hockey background (I think he's part owner of a team), but baseball seems to come first, because he could leave ESPN and still be doing Orioles games.

Old
04-20-2011, 02:32 PM
tuckrr

nbc has the olympics too...damn they're blowing up

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Then he left that to go do more baseball for ESPN. Things change is you're willing to pay, he does have a hockey background (I think he's part owner of a team), but baseball seems to come first, because he could leave ESPN and still be doing Orioles games.
Ah, yeah, you're missing the post above. Thorne's hockey contract with ESPN ran through the lockout... which is why he couldn't jump ship, and why he was doing the NCAA frozen four for them. I very much doubt he still has a hockey contract with ESPN at this point like he did before... however, he absolutely left baseball to get into hockey, and he got his start as an announcer... doing hockey.

Additionally, it's hard to do baseball and hockey because the seasons overlap in the spring, which was his problem originally. I would guess that there's a bit more money in baseball announcing unless you're going to crack the Versus crew on top of doing the announcing for a team.

He's got a steady gig doing MLB broadcasts... perfectly understandable why he wouldn't screw with that.