HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Game 3 - Kings vs. Sharks - 04/19/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-20-2011, 02:36 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
The more I think about it,the second period was a track meet. They were Carl Lewis, and we were Richard Lewis
More like Reggie Lewis. Too soon?

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:42 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Tippet teams are boring teams. I wouldnt want to see that for the Kings. Ya the guy has success, but if the price for that is boring hockey, count me out.]
44 seasons without a Cup... I think most here (myself included) would take boring hockey if it meant success.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:59 AM
OK Computer

How the hell are the Coyotes boring? People are just making stuff up now.

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:01 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Vancouver went into Chicago today and intended to close out the series. They beat the Blackhawks three consecutive games. Tonight was fait accompli. Chicago handed the Canucks their ass 7-2, the same Canucks that looked unbeatable.

Sharks in five. Thatís all we heard. We took them to overtime in game one. Could have won it. Didnít. We fed them their teeth in game two.

Tonight, before we reached the half way mark of the game, we were up 4-0. That was 8 unanswered goals. Felt good? Meant nothing. Hockey is life. Life doesnít come with magic pills and perpetual pleasure. One day, youíre on top of what you think is the world. Look away for a moment and you have tire tracks on your back and your mother is reading your eulogy.

You want to be angry about tonightís loss, go ahead and waste your time. Blame Penner for being a useless putz. Castigate Murray for failing to call a timeout. Forget for a moment that our opponents were supposed to walk all over us. Instead, the two games they won have gone down to the wire and the one they lost was a blowout. Werenít they unbeatable? Wasnít our offense supposed to stop at two goals per game? Wasnít San Jose the elite team and us anchored in futility? The game is played on the ice, not on paper nor from the lips of media prognosticators. Every game is a small encapsulation of life and you have a front row seat to it all.

Whether you are with me at Staples Center or not, you have a job to do. Cheer this team to victory. Tonight, you did your part. They failed to do theirs. Thursday, they try again. Thursday, they win again if or when they so choose. Either way, itís the LA Kings that control their own destiny. Your hockey team and mine is good enough to beat the San Jose Sharks and the Kings will win this series if they want it more. All the Sharks have shown me is that they have a porous defense and suspect goaltending wrapped around some talented forwards. We lose to them and we gave them the series. We beat them and we prove what you feel in your heart Ė that we are the better team. But even that doesnít guarantee a damn thing.

Life is for the living. The Stanley Cup is won by the team that wants it more than 29 others. Is that your LA Kings? Is that mine? Set aside your lament and put your head on straight. Your boys need you on Thursday. A win then makes this a three game series and proves something else you already know. The victory you so crave is well within our grasp. GO KINGS!
Thats why your the man dude, see you Thursday night and if I can get there early enough will by you a beer.......GO KINGS GO we can do this

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:05 AM
LadyKing17

*epic mounting soundtrack*

Quote:
Vancouver went into Chicago today and intended to close out the series. They beat the Blackhawks three consecutive games. Tonight was fait accompli. Chicago handed the Canucks their ass 7-2, the same Canucks that looked unbeatable.

Sharks in five. Thatís all we heard. We took them to overtime in game one. Could have won it. Didnít. We fed them their teeth in game two.

Tonight, before we reached the half way mark of the game, we were up 4-0. That was 8 unanswered goals. Felt good? Meant nothing. Hockey is life. Life doesnít come with magic pills and perpetual pleasure. One day, youíre on top of what you think is the world. Look away for a moment and you have tire tracks on your back and your mother is reading your eulogy.

You want to be angry about tonightís loss, go ahead and waste your time. Blame Penner for being a useless putz. Castigate Murray for failing to call a timeout. Forget for a moment that our opponents were supposed to walk all over us. Instead, the two games they won have gone down to the wire and the one they lost was a blowout. Werenít they unbeatable? Wasnít our offense supposed to stop at two goals per game? Wasnít San Jose the elite team and us anchored in futility? The game is played on the ice, not on paper nor from the lips of media prognosticators. Every game is a small encapsulation of life and you have a front row seat to it all.

Whether you are with me at Staples Center or not, you have a job to do. Cheer this team to victory. Tonight, you did your part. They failed to do theirs. Thursday, they try again. Thursday, they win again if or when they so choose. Either way, itís the LA Kings that control their own destiny. Your hockey team and mine is good enough to beat the San Jose Sharks and the Kings will win this series if they want it more. All the Sharks have shown me is that they have a porous defense and suspect goaltending wrapped around some talented forwards. We lose to them and we gave them the series. We beat them and we prove what you feel in your heart Ė that we are the better team. But even that doesnít guarantee a damn thing.

Life is for the living. The Stanley Cup is won by the team that wants it more than 29 others. Is that your LA Kings? Is that mine? Set aside your lament and put your head on straight. Your boys need you on Thursday. A win then makes this a three game series and proves something else you already know. The victory you so crave is well within our grasp. GO KINGS!
*Rocky montage*

LadyKing17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:27 AM
SLang

I recently quit smoking using the nicotine patch.

The patch comes with a little pamphlet, in which it says "should you experience vivid dreams, you can take the patch off while you sleep". So let me tell you about this nightmare I had earlier tonight.....

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They had to get past the Detroit Red Wings. That team only lost 13 games all year. They finished with 131pts.

I dont think a mentally handicapped monkey could pull that off.
Liquor, this is not a normal monkey we are talking about, this chimp had PASSION! Don't you dare sell that monkey short...you don't even KNOW him!

BTW RNH all the way right buddy?!?!?

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:02 AM
KingsKnight
Reclaim the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
You know how the Kings like to replay the Stunner at Staples and the Miracle on Manchester?

Well this is the Sharks' version of that. Prepare to see in highlight films for the rest of your life.
The only way this game will mean nothing to them is if we win this series. We wouldn't be talking about the "Stunner at Staples" or the "Miracle on Manchester" had we gone on to lose either series.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:06 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Either Murray is ignorant of momentum or doesn't believe in it actively. Even high school coaches call a timeout in a situation like this to circle the wagons.

This guy is the most passive coach I've ever seen for this team and it shows when they don't know how to handle comebacks by opponents.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:25 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Turn 4-0 Lead Into Flop On Figueroa In Game 3

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Turn 4-0 Lead Into Flop On Figueroa In Game 3 vs. San Jose

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:28 AM
KingsKnight
Reclaim the Crown

Quote:

Thanks for this. I needed it. I cheered so hard my vocal chords are shot and my towel-waiving arm is sore. But I'll be back Thursday to cheer on my team and drown out any hopes San Jose ever thought they had.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:09 AM
dre2112

Just got back from the game. I'll save the long response for anyone that wants details, but in a nutshell it went like this:

-Kings got 2 early goals, thanks to HORRIBLE goaltending from a horrible goaltender (Niemi).

-Sharks were the better team, they just couldn't get the saves.

-Kings had so much trouble getting into the Sharks zone. Unless it was an odd man rush, only way Kings could get into Sharks zone was dump and chase... which is fine, but you need to win those battles along the boards.

-Sharks had no problems skating into the Kings zone. Kings D and F just backed up enough, gave them too much room.

-Penner is the worst player I've seen in a while. Slow, disinterested, stupid decisions. Thank god for the 1 assist, otherwise there was nothing but bad things to say about him.

-Quick looks LOST when the puck is on or behind the goal line. He also scrambles too much when fighting to see the puck, so much so that he's thrown off his game too easily.

-Kings lacked presence in front of the net.

-Dustin Brown... nothing from him. Barely noticed him.

-The only time I felt good about the puck actually making it into the Sharks zone is when Doughty was carrying the puck, otherwise the rest of the team suck at it. It seemed like their strategy was lob the puck to center and hope that it gets behind one of the Sharks D then dump & chase to get into the zone.

-Sharks were the faster team, passes were better and precise. Kings looked like they were scrambling all the time. No coordination. Players were just everywhere. Sometimes playing man on man, other times playing zone coverage, a lot of the time doing the wrong one at the wrong time.

-Only time they could generate chances were off Sharks mistakes it seemed.

-Kings are just too soft.

-Murray is an idiot.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:59 AM
stonedhenge

I'd rather have Sturm, Teubert, 1st and 3rd than Dustin Penner

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

I lost my feed and my link due to a power outage all at once when the game was still 5/3 and boy did that suck. am just now getting back on line to see a bunch of frustrated King fans and rightly so. O.K. we lost this game after having a 4/0 lead. O.K. our coach could have and should have done more. O.K. we got caught up in a trap and caved in. O.K.

But ask yourselves, did anyone think that this was going to be easy? Did we honestly think that the Sharks were going to lie down and give us this series? How many of us gave us even a remote chance of winning this series prior to the start of it?

To those of us who said this thing is done well alright, its the next day and if you feel this way now then consider it done and go on your way. Next season we should be a ton better and we'll see you back here then.

To the rest of us who don't believe in fail, who don't believe in quit, who don't believe that this Sharks team is any better than we are for a second and that this series is still ours to win, good morning.

It's another beautiful Fing day to be a Kings fan and I can't wait for game four!

IT IS GOING TO BE A BEAUTY!!!

F THIS DOWN WE CAN'T DO IT CRAP!!! WE ALREADY HAVE DONE IT IN THIS SERIES!!!

IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A KING FAN!!!

GO KINGS GO!!!

GREAT POST ZAD!

UP THE KINGS!!!!

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:07 AM
stonedhenge

I'd rather have Sturm, Teubert, 1st and 3rd than Dustin Penner

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
This will get the ball rolling to have Terry Murray fired next year. Problem with that is John Stevens will be his replacement.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:09 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Why in the hell did we not call a time out after the 2nd goal. With the way we were running around....FREAK! Saw this one coming..... Man hockey is a funny game. How close are we to be up 2 games to 1 with 4-0 and maybe a 5-2 win.Nope we are down 2 games to 1 with 2 overtime losses. The cool part is if we can put together 3 solid periods of play we beat this team. On to the next one. Go Kings.

So who would you replace TM with? I hope not Stevens.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Fat Elvis

Pathetic. You just witnessed SJ's Miricle on Manchester or the Stunner at Staples against Detroit. Ra Ra, ya it's still pathetic. Tonight was almost a complete disaster from the 2nd on. I don't care that LA was supposed to be done in 5 and so far they've made it a series. Bottom line is it still can be done in 5. Thursday is so monumental for this team it's not even funny. They better come out and take care of their business or it will be 5. Hope is so dangerous for us Kings fans and we have it in this series. Last night broke my heart and pissed me off. They just let that happen, Here! I still feel like Andy Duphrain at Shawshank with hope eternal, but damn that makes me mad.

Thursday, our Kings better bring their game and shut them down. None of this 5-6 goal crap. Keep it simple and baby step them to death and grind out a 3-1 win and get this going in the right direction again.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

sorry you guys lost but for what it's worth that was one of the most entertaining hockey games in recent memory. I thought the Kings actually played great but it was one of those wide open games that just kind of went bad. Sorry, but the coaching criticism is very much justified, he should have called a TO, pulled the goalie, or went to a 1-3-1 like East teams do with a big lead.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:01 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
sorry you guys lost but for what it's worth that was one of the most entertaining hockey games in recent memory. I thought the Kings actually played great but it was one of those wide open games that just kind of went bad. Sorry, but the coaching criticism is very much justified, he should have called a TO, pulled the goalie, or went to a 1-3-1 like East teams do with a big lead.
Funny thing is, he's an East coast coach. His "clock management" skills bug the crap out of me. I say clock management only because it's the closest thing I can equate to managing timeouts and such.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:27 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
welp, thanks to this game i have a broken index finger and a hole in my drywall.. damnit

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

Quote:

Thanks for the sobering comment.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
welp, thanks to this game i have a broken index finger and a hole in my drywall.. damnit
You've got to learn to punch things you don't have to repair.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:38 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
You've got to learn to punch things you don't have to repair.
haha i know. didnt think id actually punch thru. damn anger and adrenaline

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:42 AM
mbar

The kings looked exhausted from 5 minutes into the second period on. It's like they used all their energy in the initial push and their tank was completely empty the rest of the way.

Crazy disappointing game. I assume one of the team leaders would confront penner in the locker room after that "effort" tonight. Shouldnt his old buddy Greene be able to get in his face and motivate him? Penner just has this glazed look in his eyes like he is goingthrough the motions.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote