HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chat today

Old
04-20-2011, 07:05 AM
In The Flesh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Rick Nash on the Rangers would make me nothing short of ecstatic. Don't know about that price but I would LOVE a Nash-Richards-Gaborik line.
same ol typical NYR BS

top line consisting of two free agents and a traded for star player.

doesn't get old with some fans I guess

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wolski buyout

Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com
2011-12: $466,667
2012-13: $666,667

Players under 26 are bought out at 1/3 instead of 2/3

Rangers save $3.33M next season in cap space.

Maybe then trade Drury for AHL fodder. Drury has a $5M salary next season. Rangers take back another contract(s) matching up the $5M. A team needing leadership. If Drury has a good season,maybe that team flips Drury at the deadline.

Wolski was traded out of Colorado because they didn't think he was worth $4M in arbitration. He signed a 2 year $9.6M contract with Phoenix and they traded him 6 months later. Third team in 10 months. Wolski has been a healthy scratch with the Rangers and barely plays when he does get a uniform.

The Rangers have 6 group II's(including Gilroy)to re-sign,pursue Richards,fill out the roster and leave enough to operate the team next season when there is no bonus cushion.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
same ol typical NYR BS

I think you're gonna have to start facing reality here. There are no homegrown bluechippers/stars on the current roster or in the system. You can hope against hope that there are, but conventional wisdom says there ain't.

So, in other words, what do you suggest the organization does to obtain such players that are necessary to compete for the cup?

So many fans are scared off by the sins of the past regarding free agency and trades. Most of them were dumb decisions to begin with - the Rangers need to keep their checkbook in their pocket from time to time and make the right signings...this is something I have next to no confidence in with Sather so we'll see what happens.

But what would equally hurt the team's future and peg us for mediocrity going forward is operating under blind hope that our mid-first round draft picks and beyond will blossom into star players capable of taking this team to the next level. Not very likely to happen at all.

Sather has done a pretty good job of stockpiling a nice homegrown base - but top end players are going to have to come from somewhere else in all likelihood.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:52 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
If the Rangers acquired Rick Nash, I'd drive straight to Cosby's and have them make me a Nash jersey on the spot.
This.

Wait I'm in Florida.....yeah, still this.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Nash would cost an arm and a leg.

Think Anisimov, Krieder, and Del Zotto for starters. Not to mention we probably couldnt fit a much needed center under the cap.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Am I the only one who doesn't want Wolski bought out or traded?

I know his cap hit is steep at $3.8M, but I think we should at least give the guy a fair chance. The guy has too much talent to simply throw on the scrap heap. Give Torts an offseason to try and figure him out. If he goes through an entire offseason regimen and Torts notorious training camp, and still doesn't hack it, I would feel alot better about moving on from the Wolski experiment.

It's not easy to mold a player overnight, especially in the middle of a season. I remember Torts saying in an interview shortly after Wolski arrived that he was going to let Wolski play his game and not try and change too much. Maybe with an offseason of preparation, he can understand better how he is expected to play and produce if he wants to stay in the lineup. We all wrote Boyle off before this season began. Players can change if they want it bad enough.

This doesn't mean that I think Wolski WILL change, just that he should be given the chance.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think you're gonna have to start facing reality here. There are no homegrown bluechippers/stars on the current roster or in the system. You can hope against hope that there are, but conventional wisdom says there ain't.

So, in other words, what do you suggest the organization does to obtain such players that are necessary to compete for the cup?

So many fans are scared off by the sins of the past regarding free agency and trades. Most of them were dumb decisions to begin with - the Rangers need to keep their checkbook in their pocket from time to time and make the right signings...this is something I have next to no confidence in with Sather so we'll see what happens.

But what would equally hurt the team's future and peg us for mediocrity going forward is operating under blind hope that our mid-first round draft picks and beyond will blossom into star players capable of taking this team to the next level. Not very likely to happen at all.

Sather has done a pretty good job of stockpiling a nice homegrown base - but top end players are going to have to come from somewhere else in all likelihood.
I agree. Based on a gut feeling though, I think one of Kreider/Stepan/Werek/Thomas/Horak/Grachev will surprise us and become a solid first liner. I just think this franchise is due for it. Once again, I'm basing this on a gut feeling and nothing substantive, but I just feel like its going to happen. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, lol.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Ola

Quote:
same ol typical NYR BS

Hehe, you'll see it at all teams' boards at this place for sure.

Its fun to make those lineups, not so fun to read them maybe.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
skroob**

Quote:
same ol typical NYR BS

Without taking, there is no way we are getting true 1st line talent to this team, and tanking is not something that this team will ever do.

We can and do generate great 2nd liners and excellent support players, but in modern hockey, you cant get superstars without picking in the top-4.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
Without taking, there is no way we are getting true 1st line talent to this team, and tanking is not something that this team will ever do.

We can and do generate great 2nd liners and excellent support players, but in modern hockey, you cant get superstars without picking in the top-4.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Of course, there's a better chance for you to get a superstar the higher you pick, but many do come from outside the top 4 picks. The difference is that most of the superstars that come from outside of the very high picks are boom or bust types. Players with massive upside, but with a huge question mark as to whether or not they can improve the major deficiencies in their game to fulfill that potential.

Teams have to be willing to make those high-risk picks in order to land a diamond in the rough. Many teams are more willing to take a projectible 2nd liner with that mid-to-late 1st round pick, than take a risky player who could become a 1st line beast, or a 4th line scrub.

That's why I didn't have as much of a problem with the McIlrath pick as some people on this board did. If he pans out, he could become the type of player that almost never becomes available. We have decent depth in our system. Now is the time that we need to be making these types of picks, as much as it may pain people when they see who is still on the board. Everyone knows we have a lack of elite talent on this team, which is why McIlrath type picks need to be made. All-out upside picks that, if they work out, produce elite players.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:39 AM
xxxZENxxx

A couple things:

*Since not everyone is up on the salary cap, just realize that this team will have just enough room to sign Richards this summer and not much else after locking up the 5 RFAs. It will be tight.

*Gaborik isn't going anywhere and nor should he. The guy made magic last year because Prospal was playing at a high level... which isn't the case this year. He needs a top-flight center-man and doesn't have it. Should he better? Sure, but you can't put it all on him. He carried this team on this back last year.

*Forget about Nash and Brown. We don't have room and they won't be traded. Pipe dream.

*What the Rangers do with Wolski will be hot topic this summer. IMO- I can't see how Sather gives up on his talent so easily unless he stands in the way cap-wise of getting Richards. I would LOVE to see him with Richards and Gaborik. Too much skill on that hypothetical line not to succeed.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
Well done.

There are so many top tier players that weren't drafted in the 1st round.

Hank
Pekka Rinne
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Clowe (not a superstar but a beast, 175th overall)

You have to be good and lucky....

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't want Wolski bought out or traded?

I know his cap hit is steep at $3.8M, but I think we should at least give the guy a fair chance. The guy has too much talent to simply throw on the scrap heap. Give Torts an offseason to try and figure him out. If he goes through an entire offseason regimen and Torts notorious training camp, and still doesn't hack it, I would feel alot better about moving on from the Wolski experiment.

It's not easy to mold a player overnight, especially in the middle of a season. I remember Torts saying in an interview shortly after Wolski arrived that he was going to let Wolski play his game and not try and change too much. Maybe with an offseason of preparation, he can understand better how he is expected to play and produce if he wants to stay in the lineup. We all wrote Boyle off before this season began. Players can change if they want it bad enough.

This doesn't mean that I think Wolski WILL change, just that he should be given the chance.
I agree with you, I think he has shown flashes that he can play. He like many other players on this team is just inconsistent. He could benefit from a hard working offseason and knowing what is expected of him here next year on a nightly basis. I know the cap hit once he is bought out is quite small but I really can't see sather giving up on him this fast. He has never complained and has a ton of skill. I think he has looked pretty good in the playoffs so we will just have to see how it turns out. I would be very surprised if he is bought out, actually extremely surprised. I think there is a better chance anisimov or Boyle would be traded to make room for Richards than wolski being bought out.

Last edited by Janerixon: 04-20-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:23 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Rick Nash on the Rangers would make me nothing short of ecstatic. Don't know about that price but I would LOVE a Nash-Richards-Gaborik line.
Acquiring Nash and his insane 7.8 cap hit would pretty much eliminate acquiring Richards, who is a much better player and fits the team much better.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
No to the first, yes to the second.

Nash is a better player than Brad Richards. He s also 5 years younger, and a better true goal scorer.

Richards does, however, fit our team needs more aptly.

04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Acquiring Nash and his insane 7.8 cap hit would pretty much eliminate acquiring Richards, who is a much better player and fits the team much better.
I do not believe it can be emphasized enough how right that is. Nash is an excellent overpaid player. Personally, I have seen enough of that. To boot, people want to trade assets for him this time, too.

Old
04-20-2011, 12:31 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Well done.

There are so many top tier players that weren't drafted in the 1st round.

Hank
Pekka Rinne
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Clowe (not a superstar but a beast, 175th overall)

You have to be good and lucky....
Goalies are an entire different class. I assumed that was a universal understanding.

And they way scouting has improved overseas, guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg are going to be a lot harder to find.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
No to the first, yes to the second.

Nash is a better player than Brad Richards. He s also 5 years younger, and a better true goal scorer.

Richards does, however, fit our team needs more aptly.
How is Nash better? Richards outscores him nearly every year, is better defensively, and more experienced. I really don't understand the Nash love fest. He's a player who has the abilities to be scoring more than he is, but isn't. You can blame linemates and whatnot, but he takes shifts off constantly, coasts, and is very inconsistent. He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but on a ludicrous contract, and seems to get more love than he actually deserves.

And if everyone calls Kovalchuk a perennial loser, than what is Nash? 0 playoff wins in 8(?) years of the NHL?

Old
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
OverTheCap

Nash is a pipe dream. He is the face of Columbus Blue Jackets. And as RangerBoy alluded to, he probably isn't even available.

Is anyone here ready to part with at least one of Dubinsky, Callahan, or Staal for him? I didn't think so.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:40 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Nash is a pipe dream. He is the face of Columbus Blue Jackets. And as RangerBoy alluded to, he probably isn't even available.

Is anyone here ready to part with at least one of Dubinsky, Callahan, or Staal for him? I didn't think so.
Exactly. It would take way too much to acquire him in the first place. And it certainly wouldn't be worth the price.

Old
04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

This post nails it on the head. We aren't getting Nash, he isn't available and even I he was someone would probably be willing to part w way more than we would to get him.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Goalies are an entire different class. I assumed that was a universal understanding.

And they way scouting has improved overseas, guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg are going to be a lot harder to find.
In that case.

Jeff Carter
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Corey Perry
Duncan Keith
Anze Kopitar
Paul Stastny
Phil Kessel
Claude Giroux(To be determined)
Jeff Skinner
Michael Grabner

Old
04-20-2011, 12:55 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Wolski buyout

Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com
2011-12: $466,667
2012-13: $666,667

Players under 26 are bought out at 1/3 instead of 2/3

Rangers save $3.33M next season in cap space.

Maybe then trade Drury for AHL fodder. Drury has a $5M salary next season. Rangers take back another contract(s) matching up the $5M. A team needing leadership. If Drury has a good season,maybe that team flips Drury at the deadline.

Wolski was traded out of Colorado because they didn't think he was worth $4M in arbitration. He signed a 2 year $9.6M contract with Phoenix and they traded him 6 months later. Third team in 10 months. Wolski has been a healthy scratch with the Rangers and barely plays when he does get a uniform.

The Rangers have 6 group II's(including Gilroy)to re-sign,pursue Richards,fill out the roster and leave enough to operate the team next season when there is no bonus cushion.
Definatly buyout Woldski. Drury has a NMC. The only thing we can do is buy him out or leave him on the team. Drury buyout cap hit per capgeek for 2011-12 is $3,716,777.00 Add the 3.3 million saved on Wolski, we would have enough $$ to go out and get Brad Richards. He is worth 7 million a year now but for how many years.

I would give him 6.5 million a year for 4 years. They can up front him some $$ in the first year to make the contract more palatable to Brad. More than that, I pass.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
This post nails it on the head. We aren't getting Nash, he isn't available and even I he was someone would probably be willing to part w way more than we would to get him.
Also, didn't Columbus just draft Ryan Johansen with the 4th pick in the draft last year? I would presume they got him to center Nash. Why trade Nash away when you just drafted the missing piece to his puzzle? People have said that he could do alot more if he had an actual #1C on his line....