HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL signs 10 year deal with NBC/Versus

Old
04-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i guess im in the minority, but i think Versus does a pretty good job actually. NHL is their big anchor, and they treat it pretty well.
Me too. I'm still kind of upset it won't be on ESPN, though. I don't get why people try using the argument of how if the NFL and NBA has their next season, ESPN won't care about the NHL games (if they would have won the bid). Wouldn't it have been illegal for ESPN to not air the games?

Also, does anyone know if Versus (or whatever they are going to rename the channel) will move their channel on Cablevision? Like instead of being channel 719 they move to somewhere near ESPN?

Last edited by Kane One: 04-20-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
VS is getting revamped to be a legit sports network, and ESPN wouldn't give the NHL that much coverage, it would be one game a week on ESPN2 and SCF games on ABC.
I've got a feeling that an ESPN deal would have meant some NHL games getting pushed to ESPN3.com, which would then compete directly with subscriber based Gamecenter.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:38 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
Playoff hockey without Gary Thorne and Bill Clement just isn't the same, despite Gary Thorne's inability to pronounce certain names.
yep.

I miss ESPN.

I never watch vs. unless the Rangers are playing on it.

I miss Steve Levy calling games too.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Versus/NBC Sports will need to get it's HD **** in gear if it wants to get taken seriously.
I dunno why people ***** about VS' HD. It's always looked fine to me. The Caps station on the other hand kinda blows

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:29 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i guess im in the minority, but i think Versus does a pretty good job actually. NHL is their big anchor, and they treat it pretty well.
They've definitely improved in a lot of ways, but the sticking point for me is needing to have a premium package on DirecTV or Dish to get it. Doesn't effect me, but definitely hurts exposure wise.

Getting it into the "sports lineup" channel placement wise would help too. For example, Time Warner Cable here in the city has SNYHD on 726, MSGHD on 727, ESPNHD 728, ESPN2HD 729. Versus? 481. You have to be looking for it to find it.

One (or both) of the NFL/NBA getting locked out is a huge opportunity for the league but would've been even bigger on ESPN.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:46 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I dunno why people ***** about VS' HD. It's always looked fine to me. The Caps station on the other hand kinda blows
Really? I don't know what you're seeing, but for me, VS' HD often looks worse than an SD feed.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Really? I don't know what you're seeing, but for me, VS' HD often looks worse than an SD feed.
Who knows, different providers perhaps. I have DirecTV and don't live in the NY area

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
This is a fantastic, fantastic deal. NBC Sports is a growing thing and I am glad they are dumping the name Versus for it. The UFC will be putting on more and more shows on NBC Sports and is one of the fastest growing sports in the world.

This was a great deal for the NHL. They need to take advantage of the UFC and everything it brings. Partner up with them, for God's sake!

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:04 AM
WheresBarnaby

I have no problem with either network. I can't stand Pierre talking from inside his a$$ or "edzo" get rid of them and I'm fine. I've even warmed to doc.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
This is a fantastic, fantastic deal. NBC Sports is a growing thing and I am glad they are dumping the name Versus for it. The UFC will be putting on more and more shows on NBC Sports and is one of the fastest growing sports in the world.

This was a great deal for the NHL. They need to take advantage of the UFC and everything it brings. Partner up with them, for God's sake!

I agree with you completely. A partnership with the UFC, a rapidly expanding brand, could potentially do a lot of good for the NHL.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:12 AM
LamoTheKid

If there's no NFL or NBA next year, this could be huge for the league.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I don't think NBC/VS actual coverage is bad, I'm just concerned about the league's exposure.

Obviously everyone who has a TV is able to get NBC, but that isn't so with VS.

I'm not sure how it is with other cable providers, but Dish Network doesn't offer VS as part of their 2 basic packages. I know DirecTv doesn't offer VS as part of its most basic package. ESPN on the other hand is offered as part of every basic cable package.

But the thing is, even if you do have VS, do most people (who aren't NHL fans) even know what the hell VS is? I'm pretty sure everyone knows what ESPN is, and that is why I'd rather have the NHL broadcasts on ESPN.

If you're in the mood to watch sports, the first channel you turn to is ESPN, not VS.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I don't think NBC/VS actual coverage is bad, I'm just concerned about the league's exposure.

Obviously everyone who has a TV is able to get NBC, but that isn't so with VS.

I can understand that concern, but I'd rather be with the network that has shown a concerted willingness to aggressively promote the game in order to attract new viewers. ESPN may be in more homes, but in the past they did a poor job of marketing the game to help reach new fans in those homes.

I expect that the number of homes Versus/NBCsports is in will continue to grow steadily; also, they actually make the NHL a priority for their network, which I'm sure will help to ensure continued growth.

Quote:
But the thing is, even if you do have VS, do most people (who aren't NHL fans) even know what the hell VS is? I'm pretty sure everyone knows what ESPN is, and that is why I'd rather have the NHL broadcasts on ESPN.
There's where the re-branding of Versus as NBCSports will become useful. That name change alone will help alleviate a lot of that problem.

Also, you have to consider the fact that Versus' NHL ratings have been soundly defeating ESPN's NHL ratings from when it had the TV deal. You can't ignore the potency of a good marketing effort; Versus aggressively promotes the game, while ESPN essentially gave on up on hockey even when they had the contract.

Quote:
If you're in the mood to watch sports, the first channel you turn to is ESPN, not VS.
I think that may be a questionable generalization. Aside from that, ESPN network was only willing to show 1 NHL game a week on ESPN2 -- it's not like ESPN(1) was going to be prominently featuring games every night.

I think some people are drastically overestimating ESPN's ability to attract new viewers to the NHL. ESPN was certainly not good at doing it during the early 2000s, that's for sure.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I can understand that concern, but I'd rather be with the network that has shown a concerted willingness to aggressively promote the game in order to attract new viewers. ESPN may be in more homes, but in the past they did a poor job of marketing the game to help reach new fans in those homes.

I expect that the number of homes Versus/NBCsports is in will continue to grow steadily; also, they actually make the NHL a priority for their network, which I'm sure will help to ensure continued growth.

There's where the re-branding of Versus as NBCSports will become useful. That name change alone will help alleviate a lot of that problem.

Also, you have to consider the fact that Versus' NHL ratings have been soundly defeating ESPN's NHL ratings from when it had the TV deal. You can't ignore the potency of a good marketing effort; Versus aggressively promotes the game, while ESPN essentially gave on up on hockey even when they had the contract.

I think that may be a questionable generalization. Aside from that, ESPN network was only willing to show 1 NHL game a week on ESPN2 -- it's not like ESPN(1) was going to be prominently featuring games every night.

I think some people are drastically overestimating ESPN's ability to attract new viewers to the NHL. ESPN was certainly not good at doing it during the early 2000s, that's for sure.
I agree with you for the most part, except:

I think if you poll people with the question "what do you think of first when you hear the word 'sports' and the word 'TV'?" the majority of people will say ESPN.

Maybe someone who is a fan of non-mainstream sports like hunting and fishing would say VS, but hopefully with the changes you mention they will build their reputation.

Last edited by Stugots: 04-20-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
I think this is a good deal for the NHL. Good money, good exposure and versus is really trying with the NHL.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Dantes19

Quote:
I agree with you for the most part, except:

I think if you poll people with the question "what do you think of first when you hear the word 'sports' and the word 'TV'?" the majority of people will say ESPN.

I understand, but that's not what you said before. You said, "when you're in the mood to watch sports, the first channel you turn to is ESPN", which is different and (in my opinion) more questionable than "when you think of 'sports' and 'tv', ESPN is the first network that comes to mind."

I'm not just trying to give you a hard time; I really think that there is an extremely large number of people out there who do not turn to ESPN first when they want to watch sports.

Quote:
Maybe someone who is a fan of non-mainstream sports like hunting and fishing would say VS, but hopefully with the changes you mention they will build their reputation.
I see where you're coming from. I was just trying to state that it doesn't matter how much general name recognition ESPN has if it can't be used to get more people to watch hockey.

I think it's very telling that Versus has managed to soundly top ESPN's hockey ratings, despite ESPN being in more households and having better 'name recognition'.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I agree with you completely. A partnership with the UFC, a rapidly expanding brand, could potentially do a lot of good for the NHL.
Yep. This deal is just so ****ing good for the NHL in every way.

I was formerly entrenched in the GIVE US ESPN OR DEATH camp previously, but once the UFC jumped on Versus/NBC Sports, it became apparent that that would be the way to go for the NHL. Stay the course. NBC Sports will soon grow to an ESPN-like level.

Especially with the association of NBC to Versus. Changing the name will do WONDERS for the station. And showing loyalty like the NHL has will only help them in the future as NBC Sports expands. I would like to think they will show loyalty back to the NHL (you'd have to think they would, since the NHL is one of the main reasons that the channel has even taken off).

This is not only a great deal for today (money wise), but a great deal for the future (channel growing wise).

Anyone critical of this really is out to lunch here. I would understand it if Versus had shown no real rise and wasn't changing over to NBC Sports. But snagging the UFC and all the college sports they are getting into will help truly make this a great sports channel. I would be shocked if there was not a NBC Sports 2 channel in the next 10 years.

Everyone is getting tired of the redundant presentations of ESPN. It's been the same for years now. Versus has brought in fresh programming and a fresh style. Re-branding the channel is the final step to bring it into true competition with ESPN.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:51 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Versus/NBC Sports will need to get it's HD **** in gear if it wants to get taken seriously.
Their HD is fine on FiOS.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:55 AM
94now

I have no problem with Versus covering hockey. Just would like to see more games there so I could drop my Hockey central package.
I wish they continue being an exotic sports channel by adding Olympic discipline competitions ( swimming, Track and Field, water polo, XC Skiing, ski jumps, curling, etc.) instead of getting into mainstream. I also wish they drop fishing time. I don't mind fishermen to compete, but showing people catching fish with noises as if they have sex or massive dump is just such a terrible waste of broadcast time.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:32 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I have no problem with Versus covering hockey. Just would like to see more games there so I could drop my Hockey central package.
I wish they continue being an exotic sports channel by adding Olympic discipline competitions ( swimming, Track and Field, water polo, XC Skiing, ski jumps, curling, etc.) instead of getting into mainstream. I also wish they drop fishing time. I don't mind fishermen to compete, but showing people catching fish with noises as if they have sex or massive dump is just such a terrible waste of broadcast time.
: laugh:

Old
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
The HD is also perfect on Cablevision. Maybe you need to get your TV **** in gear.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote