HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why wasn't Zherdev in the warm ups Game 1???

Old
04-20-2011, 03:50 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Good for him for tapping in a sure goal while his linemates did the work. How's that?

I'm glad he scored and I'll be gladder when he's no longer a Flyer. From the beginning of the season he didn't get it, wouldn't talk to the press, went to Homer to complain about the ice time Lavi gave him, had his ass stapled to the bench for screwing up, spent oodles of time in the press box, couldn't be found in Carolina when Richards got the flu and couldn't play so they had to play Shelley, asked to be waived, got his wish, wasn't picked up by anyone, sat on his ass again, was talked to again and again by Homer and Lavi, would play well one game back and then go back to his old habits, lather, rinse repeat.

You guys who like him make it sound like we don't like him for no good reason but the fact is, the reasons are plentiful. We wanted his stint here to work and it hasn't. I don't like players who are so bad defensively that other players have to pick up their slack. So until I see him busting his ass at both ends of the rink, I won't give him a medal for one of the easiest goals he's scored in his life.
Lol, grow up. You will be singing his praises should he score game winners in all the rest of the games of the play-offs. Oh and you think thats a sure goal? JVR missed one of those about 5 minutes later. Granted it was a little more difficult. I guess we should stop counting those goals though eh? unless they come from Mike Richards, or Claude Giroux. Your Bias is terrible.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
Get the ****ing guy in. He's done nothing to be in the dog house. He'll light it up now that Nodl is out.

I did not see this yesterday, so not sure if this is sarcasm but if not it should be. I have always thought of Flyers fans as being one of the most knowledgeable fanbases in the NHL.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfury View Post
Zherdev's pursuit led to the initial cough-up that was picked off by Versteeg. As for whether that goal was a sitter, I could see Nodl shooting it into a sliding Miller. Probably not the hardest goal to score, but not the easiest as well. Next shift, Zherdev swooped around the net and put a nice feed across for Richards, who fumbled the puck a bit. Had he put that one it, the game would've been decided earlier. Zherdev's 'earned' himself two games of meager minutes. For the haters, his decision to put in the hard work after waivers is something to be commended. As for those who said he wouldn't show up in the important games like the playoffs, he has in his single game, and has as many goals as Carter, and Giroux. Now if he could only get on the power play. Having said that, Zherdev can go from being the best player on the ice, to one of the worst. He was the Flyers' best player against the Rangers and Devils, but was completely lost against the Islanders. That game probably put him back on the bench. If he could just play more or less like he did in this third game against Buffalo, he'd be one of the best in the league.

I'll give him some credit for banging home that bunny, the best goal scorer on the team has had several of those chances and not put the biscuit in the basket. Have to say Zherdev has hands of leather, while Cartsie has manbags made of 100% genuine leather.

Old
04-20-2011, 09:09 AM
qwertysac

"He scored 16 goals this season in only 720 minutes of playing time. Nobody in the NHL this season was more productive in fewer minutes - and only four players in
the last 10 seasons have managed to score that often in such little time."

You can like him or hate him, and you can say what you want about Z. But there's no way anybody can deny he is EXTREMELY skilled. If (and it's a big if) flyers management can get through to him as he matures, and i think they will, he could be an incredible asset to this team in the future.

That still remains to be seen.

For now? I'm just happy he's back in the lineup and scoring goals to help the team win the cup.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:13 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
"He scored 16 goals this season in only 720 minutes of playing time. Nobody in the NHL this season was more productive in fewer minutes - and only four players in

You can like him or hate him, and you can say what you want about Z. But there's no way anybody can deny he is EXTREMELY skilled. If (and it's a big if) flyers management can get through to him as he matures, and i think they will, he could be an incredible asset to this team in the future.

For now? I'm just happy he's back in the lineup and scoring goals to help the team win the cup.
Who's denying his offensive skill? The problem is, it's easy to see goals and assists on a scoresheet, it's more difficult to see the bad defensive plays and goals a player has caused. That's the problem with him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post

It would be mind boggling if Zherdev is with this team after the season is over.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:29 AM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Who's denying his offensive skill? The problem is, it's easy to see goals and assists on a scoresheet, it's more difficult to see the bad defensive plays and goals a player has caused. That's the problem with him.
I agree with all above, my only problem is that people where talking all season about bad defensive plays, but I didn't remember goals caused by that in Z case and I remember many goals caused by guys which weren't sent to press box... I believe in you are as good as your last game approach, not in I remember what you did wrong/good last season

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:31 AM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It would be mind boggling if Zherdev is with this team after the season is over.
in real world - impossible, in Holmgren's world - who knows??

Old
04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
I agree with all above, my only problem is that people where talking all season about bad defensive plays, but I didn't remember goals caused by that in Z case and I remember many goals caused by guys which weren't sent to press box... I believe in you are as good as your last game approach, not in I remember what you did wrong/good last season
The coach saw enough things, as did the GM, to put him through waivers. Is that not enough for people who "do not see" his lack of urgency at times to get back defensively, or hanging onto the puck, making low %, high risk passes, inconsistent effort, and of course my favorite........the cherry pick, home run pass.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Let's see how the rest of the playoffs go, first, and how expensive Leino becomes to re-sign.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...or_Flyers.html

The captain wants him in the lineup, and has taken him under his wing:

"Z has been a guy who has always stepped up and seemed to score big goals," Richards said. "He did it again [Monday] night. Whenever he's in the lineup, he always seems to do so. He's just a skilled player. He knows where to be on the ice. He's very smart with the puck, offensively gifted. When you add a guy like that to the lineup, I think he just adds that other threat that we need."

After he cleared waivers, Homer and Lavy talked to him. Acc. to Homer:

"From there, to his credit, Nikolay has been great. He's done extra work after practice. His attitude has been good. I don't want to say he's an antisocial guy but he doesn't mix, other than with a few guys. He's with Richie a lot, which is probably a good thing.

Next year, who knows, the GM likes him?

"He's making $2 million now," Holmgren said. "Is that a bargain? It's probably lower than he would warrant on the open market. It's hard to say what will happen. He scored 16 goals in the regular season with limited ice time and hardly any power-play time. Somebody's going to look at that this summer and say it might be worth taking a shot. Would it be us? I wouldn't rule it out. I like Nik. He's different, but it's not like he's been a bad guy. He's been a good teammate."

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Jester

It's kind of fascinating that Holmgren thinks $2M is less than he would get on the open market after he offered him up to every team in the league on the cheap to close out the year and they all passed... including some teams that were desperate for some offensive help (Pens).

Old
04-20-2011, 10:48 AM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The coach saw enough things, as did the GM, to put him through waivers. Is that not enough for people who "do not see" his lack of urgency at times to get back defensively, or hanging onto the puck, making low %, high risk passes, inconsistent effort, and of course my favorite........the cherry pick, home run pass.
I was really surprise when Flyers sign him, I watched him last season in KHL, he wasn't even
Atlant best player, I spoke last summer with some Russian, they were surprise either...

I get it that coaches & GM know more than me about Z and hockey in general, I just understand when people are talking about this mythical goals caused by his bad defensive plays and that starts well before his first game...

Old
04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
I was really surprise when Flyers sign him, I watched him last season in KHL, he wasn't even
Atlant best player, I spoke last summer with some Russian, they were surprise either...

I get it that coaches & GM know more than me about Z and hockey in general, I just understand when people are talking about this mythical goals caused by his bad defensive plays and that starts well before his first game...
If he would maintain a consistent compete level, he'd be a solid NHL player probably just below the All-Star level.

That's all that is holding Z back.

That's the **** that drives coaches nuts, too.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Let's see how the rest of the playoffs go, first, and how expensive Leino becomes to re-sign.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...or_Flyers.html

The captain wants him in the lineup, and has taken him under his wing:

"Z has been a guy who has always stepped up and seemed to score big goals," Richards said. "He did it again [Monday] night. Whenever he's in the lineup, he always seems to do so. He's just a skilled player. He knows where to be on the ice. He's very smart with the puck, offensively gifted. When you add a guy like that to the lineup, I think he just adds that other threat that we need."

After he cleared waivers, Homer and Lavy talked to him. Acc. to Homer:

"From there, to his credit, Nikolay has been great. He's done extra work after practice. His attitude has been good. I don't want to say he's an antisocial guy but he doesn't mix, other than with a few guys. He's with Richie a lot, which is probably a good thing.

Next year, who knows, the GM likes him?

"He's making $2 million now," Holmgren said. "Is that a bargain? It's probably lower than he would warrant on the open market. It's hard to say what will happen. He scored 16 goals in the regular season with limited ice time and hardly any power-play time. Somebody's going to look at that this summer and say it might be worth taking a shot. Would it be us? I wouldn't rule it out. I like Nik. He's different, but it's not like he's been a bad guy. He's been a good teammate."

So long as he comes out and just does what the coach asks I am good, but I really find it hard to understand why people do not get the fact that this guy has not changed and hanging with the greatest captain to ever don a Flyers jersey is not going to change that. It is a risky choice considering this team seems to get caught playing loosy-goosy and losing their defensive game. They should be focusing on defense, limiting the quality of the offensive zone chances, and being able to dictate the play, not worrying about trying to keep Zherdev happy.

Zherdev happy to show he's complete playerWednesday, 07.14.2010 / 2:38 PM / 2010 Offseason News By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

"I have skills, good puck control and hockey sense," Zherdev said. "It probably would be good for me, and if coach (Peter Laviolette) makes the decision, to play on the power play. I'm changing my style and trying to play more defensive zone. I think, right now, I'm two-way player. Before, I was probably more forward ... playing more of the attacking zone. The last couple seasons, I've been more defensive zone, too."

Nikolay Zherdev Clears Waivers, Stays With Flyers
by Stephen Whyno on Feb 24, 2011 - 12:10 pm | 0 comments

WELLS FARGO CENTER - Twenty-four hours passed with Nikolay Zherdev on waivers and no NHL team put in a claim. In that time, he escaped the Flyers’ practice facility out a back door and left in a black Lincoln Town Car.

But on Thursday morning, he was with the team for the morning skate and it was like nothing had changed.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:15 AM
MsWoof

If a little bit or Richie's game can rub off on Zherdev, I'm all for it. I also think it says a hell of a lot about Richards as the captain to take Zherdev under his wing.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Richards and Z are around the same age no?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Richards and Z are around the same age no?
Same draft class, as a matter of fact Richie is probably just trying to sabotage Zherdie because he was taken @#5 while Richie was #24.

Old
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Same draft class, as a matter of fact Richie is probably just trying to sabotage Zherdie because he was taken @#5 while Richie was #24.
Yup, agreed, Richie has a tendancy to sabotage his own teammates.

Last edited by MsWoof: 04-20-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old
04-20-2011, 12:44 PM
CptCannon

Quote:
Yup, give Richie's C to Zherdev.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:06 PM
mirimon

I think there's a reverse Cartsiephan going on with regards to Zherdev. Similarly, but the complete opposite, to how Carter suddenly got a lot of praise around these parts when the criticism became too constant and, perhaps, a bit over the top, there's some severe mancrushes on Zherdev who heaps praise on him whenever there is a chance. Then you almost feels the need to point out his weaknesses, even if you agree, as I do, that he should be on the team.

For instance there was some comment in the last gdt, about halfway through I think it was, can't remember who posted it, about how we look more dangerous with Zherdev in the lineup. This after two games where we've controlled the pace of the game and easily outchanced Buffalo, but in that game they had the clear upper hand in chances.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

4 in possibly the best draft class any of us will ever see. Of course it was Doug Maclean.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote