HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Old
04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
So much hate for a guy who is getting less than 7 minutes ice time on average. We lost last night because leaders like Gomez couldn't pot open net goals. Pouliot hasn't brought less than Desharnais or Darche. And spacek and Hammer were just as bad if not worse than Pouliot last night.

I'd look up the specifics if I had the time, but at one point the Eller-Pouliot line carried us offensively for a few games. People were praising pouliot because he had the 2nd best point/min rate on the team (behind pleks, i think). How quickly we forget. 13 goals as a bottom 6'er with no PP time. Lets dump him for scraps!
He isnt playing much cause he is a liability on the ice plain simple. The guy isnt strong enough physically and hasnt enough stamina to play more, increased ice time doesnt mean more production especially in his case, Martin used him properly against other teams' 3th 4th lines and kept him hungry limiting his ice time but its pretty clear that once he has increased responsabilities he struggles to make the most simple things on the ice, such as winning puck battles..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
He isnt playing much cause he is a liability on the ice plain simple. The guy isnt strong enough physically and hasnt enough stamina to play more, increased ice time doesnt mean more production especially in his case, Martin used him properly against other teams' 3th 4th lines and kept him hungry limiting his ice time but its pretty clear that once he has increased responsabilities he struggles to make the most simple things on the ice, such as winning puck battles..
And winning puck battles depends on physical strength. It's plain as day that despite the weight he put on last summer, he's still way too lanky. Once he corrects that he'll have a better chance at battling for pucks and standing up straight.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
And winning puck battles depends on physical strength. It's plain as day that despite the weight he put on last summer, he's still way too lanky. Once he corrects that he'll have a better chance at battling for pucks and standing up straight.
he admitted himself that he had alot of trouble to add meat to his frame.. being stronger sure help to win your puck battles but you still can use your speed, skillls, courage and smart to find a way to keep possession of the puck, I see nothing of this in Pouliot.. A guy like Cammalleri has been **** all year to win puck battles, probably due to his injuries but in playoffs he works like a possessed man and finds a way to be effective, I just wish I could see a bit of this in Pouliot..

Old
04-19-2011, 04:24 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
With the playoffs he is having I think there is no chance he is back unless he has a 2-way contract.. Palushaj will highly probably replace him and make the team next year..
Highly doubt it's 2-way or under 1mil. He still notched 30 pts despite **** play.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:13 PM
TheBuriedHab

I hope his days here are numbered.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
You're underrating DD's defensive work there. He was solid on the 2nd PK. I was surprised by it. And he battles pretty well along the boards until he's double teamed (lol) by 6'3"s and that kinda falls on his teammates for taking a bit to back him up.
DD's defensive work is not what the Habs need from him. Yes, he is doing an ok job because he is intelligent and places hmself in the proper place, but as for what he is supposed to bring, offense... there is no denying, he has yet to be worth his ice time.

I agree, for a guy his size, he is doing ok, but why should anyone care that he is under sized and he is doing pretty well against guys who are bigger. Are we supposed to be his buddy or dad?

I want a thrid line center who does the job with a qualification about his height, weight or whatever. I hope the best for DD. I hope he gets a role as an offensive top 2 center but I doubt it will be with the Habs.

As for Pouliot, he is trying to find his way in the NHL, how he can be an asset to the team. Having him crash and bang is ok with me. In that role, he does the job. His skill is big, but his hockey IQ is low.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:31 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Highly doubt it's 2-way or under 1mil. He still notched 30 pts despite **** play.
I highly doubt a team will be willing to offer him a guarenteed contract over 1 million per year the way he has played this year, I mean its clear that the guy has trouble to compete at a high level when there is less space on the ice, when it becomes tougher and all.. He isnt good enough to play on the top 6 and isnt consistent, strong, effective enough to be an effective bottom line player.. I rather have a skilled guy with more grit like Palushaj or a pure grinder like Conboy in my line-up, someone who will be tougher to play against for the opposition..

Old
04-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post
I'd rather have Engqvist, Palushaj or Conboy play next season.
Yes, because those guys have clearly shown they can play at the NHL level.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:46 PM
googlymoogly

I'm not giving up on Pouliot but we need to win and White brings more to the game so who do you sit when Halpern comes back? You could sit Darche but he competes. Pouliot needs to really think about his future this summer and work on his skating, specifically staying up. Get some lower body strength and come back strong next year.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:40 PM
NewHabsEra*

Everybody seem to think Pouliot has incredible skills but in reality he never really used his hands and reach to make some real plays.. If only it was working once in a while ala Cory Perry but its not.. has scored some nice goals on the outside using his shot, it was strong and accurate but most of the time he had plenty of time to do it.. I never really seen him deke a player and going to the net with authority like a guy like Perry does all the time.. He clearly miss something to say hey this kid has some real potential and is too much flawed to really believe in..

Old
04-19-2011, 10:36 PM
RE-HABS

Guys like Pouliot are a dime a dozen, highly skilled with little heart and work ethic.

Why anyone would be surprised to see the Habs walk away blows my mind. You just have to look at teams giving up on players like Patrick O'Sullivan, Robbie Schremp and even Grabner who is now a rookie of the year candidate.

Some guys can turn it around, but sometimes it takes several opportunities. Best case scenario would be Daniel Cleary.

Cleary was suppose to be one of the "next one's", but failed in Chicago after being drafted 13th overall and then with stints in Edmonton and Phoenix.

Cleary was the top rated prospect heading into his draft for almost two years, then teams got scared because of the same lack of desire and passion he showed that Pouliot has always been said to lack by scouts.

Martin has tried to get that passion from Pouliot, the guy got time on top lines, and I don't really recall any healthy scratches coming from Martin to Pouliot either.

Muller and Martin can't get through to Poolie, maybe he walks away and gets another chance and fails elsewhere. Maybe he becomes the next Cleary?

Who knows?

All I know is that I don't see it all coming together in Montreal for Poolie.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Guys like Pouliot are a dime a dozen, highly skilled with little heart and work ethic.

Why anyone would be surprised to see the Habs walk away blows my mind. You just have to look at teams giving up on players like Patrick O'Sullivan, Robbie Schremp and even Grabner who is now a rookie of the year candidate.

Some guys can turn it around, but sometimes it takes several opportunities. Best case scenario would be Daniel Cleary.

Cleary was suppose to be one of the "next one's", but failed in Chicago after being drafted 13th overall and then with stints in Edmonton and Phoenix.

Cleary was the top rated prospect heading into his draft for almost two years, then teams got scared because of the same lack of desire and passion he showed that Pouliot has always been said to lack by scouts.

Martin has tried to get that passion from Pouliot, the guy got time on top lines, and I don't really recall any healthy scratches coming from Martin to Pouliot either.

Muller and Martin can't get through to Poolie, maybe he walks away and gets another chance and fails elsewhere. Maybe he becomes the next Cleary?

Who knows?

Robbie Schremp is the best shinny player ever.

Patrick O'Sullivan doesn't care. And now he tries, but he sucks.

Pouliot somehow lost the ability to skate and isn't the coach's favourite.

Pouliot was scratched this season and last year in the playoffs. Pouliot gets a shift or two with Gomez and Gionta during the season when Gomez was a blackhole of suck and brought everyone else down to his level of uselessness, then Moen would go there and Pools would be sent to the 4th line with Tom "Tons of heart, but stone hands" Pyatt and whomever else is there.

Pouliot plays mostly bottom 6 minutes and has gotten pretty much no powerplay time this year. Whenever he gets going, he's good, but if his line then struggles for a game, it's broken up and Pouliot is shifted all over the team. He makes a mistake, he's benched. Then he sees Gomez, Spacek, or even Gionta make a mistake and nothing happens. Gomez only got benched after going -4 in the 8-6 loss to Boston I believe it was. This was early in the 3rd too.

Pouliot was benched against Pittsburgh last year because Crosby batted a puck out of the air. This is pretty much his first full season in the NHL and the coaches, or at least Martin isn't trying to instill confidence in him, but he's more so instilling fear into him. You make a mistake, you're benched. That ****er Gomez, he can do pretty much whatever he wants and nothing will happen.

Pouliot has 4 game winning goals out of his 13. Only players who have more are players who have 20+ goals.

He has 30 points averaging 11:32 toi per game. Yeah, for what, a mill. He's very good for the team. He hits too. Tied for 3rd on the team. He's starting to fight a little, as he's starting to understand his role and that he needs to bring energy to the team and provide offensively when he can and he does.

In the playoffs he averages 6:12 per game. Almost 2 minutes less than Ryan White, who's next.

Pouliot gets so little ice time, so he has to try even harder to impress and get on the coaches good side, but just gets unlucky.

Just because the majority of you hate Pouliot doesn't mean he needs to go. He gets the short end of the stick and isn't complaining. That's a team guy.

Martin just needs to talk to him. Tell him to hit, but try to keep his emotion level down. Not just tell him to sit at the end of the bench and do nothing.

Also, since our powerplay sucks so much, Martin should try him on the pp and tell him to go to the front of the net and screen. He's got the skills to tip pucks and the size to be an effective screen. I guess Martin would prefer a bunch of midgets trying to set up a beautiful play every time when it doesn't matter how the puck goes in, as long as it's legal.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:27 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Robbie Schremp is the best shinny player ever.

Patrick O'Sullivan doesn't care. And now he tries, but he sucks.

Pouliot somehow lost the ability to skate and isn't the coach's favourite.

Pouliot was scratched this season and last year in the playoffs. Pouliot gets a shift or two with Gomez and Gionta during the season when Gomez was a blackhole of suck and brought everyone else down to his level of uselessness, then Moen would go there and Pools would be sent to the 4th line with Tom "Tons of heart, but stone hands" Pyatt and whomever else is there.

Pouliot plays mostly bottom 6 minutes and has gotten pretty much no powerplay time this year. Whenever he gets going, he's good, but if his line then struggles for a game, it's broken up and Pouliot is shifted all over the team. He makes a mistake, he's benched. Then he sees Gomez, Spacek, or even Gionta make a mistake and nothing happens. Gomez only got benched after going -4 in the 8-6 loss to Boston I believe it was. This was early in the 3rd too.

Pouliot was benched against Pittsburgh last year because Crosby batted a puck out of the air. This is pretty much his first full season in the NHL and the coaches, or at least Martin isn't trying to instill confidence in him, but he's more so instilling fear into him. You make a mistake, you're benched. That ****er Gomez, he can do pretty much whatever he wants and nothing will happen.

Pouliot has 4 game winning goals out of his 13. Only players who have more are players who have 20+ goals.

He has 30 points averaging 11:32 toi per game. Yeah, for what, a mill. He's very good for the team. He hits too. Tied for 3rd on the team. He's starting to fight a little, as he's starting to understand his role and that he needs to bring energy to the team and provide offensively when he can and he does.

In the playoffs he averages 6:12 per game. Almost 2 minutes less than Ryan White, who's next.

Pouliot gets so little ice time, so he has to try even harder to impress and get on the coaches good side, but just gets unlucky.

Just because the majority of you hate Pouliot doesn't mean he needs to go. He gets the short end of the stick and isn't complaining. That's a team guy.

Martin just needs to talk to him. Tell him to hit, but try to keep his emotion level down. Not just tell him to sit at the end of the bench and do nothing.

Also, since our powerplay sucks so much, Martin should try him on the pp and tell him to go to the front of the net and screen. He's got the skills to tip pucks and the size to be an effective screen. I guess Martin would prefer a bunch of midgets trying to set up a beautiful play every time when it doesn't matter how the puck goes in, as long as it's legal.
How do know Martin and Co. haven't been talking to him?

They tried with Latendresse, they told him how he would have to play to succeed and to play in the NHL, he wouldn't for some reason in Montreal. Sure, he went to Minny and did well, but he played that game that Martin had told him to play. And Latendresse was also playing with a chip on his shoulder, needing to prove Montreal was wrong. Lets see if he has that motivation next year.

I'm sure a great guy like Muller is always telling Poolie on what to do to be successful. Why are guys like White, DD and Eller doing well?

They get it. For some reason everyone thinks we have to handle Pouliot differently.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I really do like all three, but if we're going off what each has brought so far, I actually thought Pouliot's tilt was a good momentum boost for the habs. He didn't have to fight, if he was as soft or selfish as people try to label him, he never would have agreed to go. He even tried to take his helmet off.
I agree. He was what the doctor ordered at that point in the game. That's how we want fourth liners to act.

Pyatt should take notice.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Ho can you show faith in a player who isn't contributing offensively, and is a liability with his stupid penalties?
funny, Gomez seemed to parlay those same attributes into almost 20min/night playing for Martin...

not too mention that pretty much sums up his game 3 contributions.

maybe you can write Martin and ask him the same question about ScottyG

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:56 PM
ChoseLa

He has too much talent, we should be patient with him, bench him, play him as a checker, play him on a third, a fourth or a second line, but keep him with the team.

And yeah get rid of Gomez, he says he's his best friend on the team and they have the same personnality, so get rid of Gomez and tell Pouliot to hang out with Gionta. So yeah get rid of Gomez.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
And Latendresse was also playing with a chip on his shoulder, needing to prove Montreal was wrong. Lets see if he has that motivation next year.
Considering the fact that he came to training camp completely out of shape this season, I'd say that he hasn't changed.

Has he ever come to a training camp in decent shape?

You'd think that a guy who is serious about having a pro hockey career would take care of his body.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
bsl

Quote:
So much hate for a guy who is getting less than 7 minutes ice time on average. We lost last night because leaders like Gomez couldn't pot open net goals. Pouliot hasn't brought less than Desharnais or Darche. And spacek and Hammer were just as bad if not worse than Pouliot last night.

I'd look up the specifics if I had the time, but at one point the Eller-Pouliot line carried us offensively for a few games. People were praising pouliot because he had the 2nd best point/min rate on the team (behind pleks, i think). How quickly we forget. 13 goals as a bottom 6'er with no PP time. Lets dump him for scraps!
Tremblay, Risebrough and Lambert say hello. All 2-3 year guys, making MAJOR contributions to cup wins. At 21-24 years of age.

I like the kid, but this was the year and playoffs he had to perform.

It's over. Good bye. Potential? No. Potential time is over. Pools is 25. Help the team win a cup, or see you around.

Sorry but there it is. He's done.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I'm not giving up on Pouliot but we need to win and White brings more to the game so who do you sit when Halpern comes back? You could sit Darche but he competes. Pouliot needs to really think about his future this summer and work on his skating, specifically staying up. Get some lower body strength and come back strong next year.
Yes. Exactly. We need to win. I'm tired of making excuses for any Habs player. This is the playoffs. Perform, or GTFO.

Look, I like Pools too, he has tremendous skills. He's a good hockey player, and a nice kid. But we need to win, and he does not help us do that, in any role.

A lot of guys on this board are just too soft on players in the playoffs. We only get so many chances at cups.

Fine, like a player. But I'll tell you after watching the Habs for forty years: Every single Habs player has to deliver to win a cup. Every game, every shift. This isn't tryout time, it's the show. There are no rookie excuses.

My forgiveness meter is at zero during the playoffs. End of. And I don't apologize one bit for that. I've seen way too many great 21-25 year old guys step up and help us win cups to cry about how Pools needs a little more time.

Oh. What's that you're saying? And AK? I'll lump in with Pools too until we win a cup with him making contributions for 16 wins. No diff between the two, or any of the other 20 non win the cup yet for the Habs for me.

Win the Cup, and I'll forgive every single one of them, otherwise, show me what you've got.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:04 AM
bsl

Quote:

Who knows?

Yep, It's all coming together, guess he's gonna score 12 goals in next year's playoffs. Not.

So let's have 3 or 4 24-25 year old underachievers on our team every year, with potential, and never win cups, while other teams do, with guys who do perform at that age, and younger.

When are guys on this board gonna wake up? The young guys, especially offensive prospects, need to perform big time by 24, or forget it.

Forget Guys like Dags and SK, big deal. We need kids 21-24 who help win cups. Guess who I think is the first guy in years on the Habs to fit that description? PAX. There's a winner. Oh well.

Pools, sorry, not holding my breath until he scores 25 goals at age 27 and we get eliminated again in the first or second round because he doesn't perform under pressure.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Martin Mcguire just said that Pouliot almost injured Price with a high shot around the neck area.

What a tool!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:15 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I agree. He was what the doctor ordered at that point in the game. That's how we want fourth liners to act.

Pyatt should take notice.
The way those two are playing against the B, think it's the otherway around.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:33 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I guess Benny ran out of appreciation. <sigh> I like the guy because he can pull some nifty, unusual moves. But he does seem to be a headcase. And he reminds me a little of Pacioretty in that he can't stay upright. Pacioretty seemed a whole lot stronger on his skates this year. There's maybe some slim hope yet for Benny.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Forsead

30 pts for a guy with 11:32 of average icetime by game, who only got an average of 0:48 of average PP icetime by game in his first season he played 60+ games in the NHL. That's still good for number 6 in our forward production and he was one of the guy the most hits. He need more strength and he was worn out with the time and with the number of game played because his pace was good before the last few games, so working on endurance cannot hurt either. Also, forget about the age look at guys like Burrows or Leino.

He's also 4th on the team for even strength points.

Last edited by Forsead: 04-20-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
How do know Martin and Co. haven't been talking to him?

They tried with Latendresse, they told him how he would have to play to succeed and to play in the NHL, he wouldn't for some reason in Montreal. Sure, he went to Minny and did well, but he played that game that Martin had told him to play. And Latendresse was also playing with a chip on his shoulder, needing to prove Montreal was wrong. Lets see if he has that motivation next year.

I'm sure a great guy like Muller is always telling Poolie on what to do to be successful. Why are guys like White, DD and Eller doing well?

They get it. For some reason everyone thinks we have to handle Pouliot differently.
For some reasons, most ex-habs that are gone and even the ones who are still in (like Darche for example) have all said that there's not a whole lot of discussions. That you have to know what to do. Mind you, some are professionnals enough so that they can handle being left alone and deal themselves with their own problems. But some can't. And unfortunately, even if you can't, it doesn't mean you're not going to end up a good player after all see Sergei....Grabs....Lats.....

As far as some guys doing well compared to others well it's exactly what I'm saying. Some can, some can't, thing is you can't thrown under the bus everybody who demands more 'cause in the end the effort vs reward might be greater. Also the guys that you're saying are doing better are guys who have the word effort in front of everything else in their playbook. And frankly, White, DD and Eller would work fine with everybody else. 'Cause that's just the type of players they are. There's no real merit in having Ryan White work his butt off every single day. There might be more merit to have a vision and see how guys like SKost and Grabs could be in the future....or have Lats have the work ethic put in front of a whole lot of other things.....

Besides, let's wait before we have DD in the "guys who worked well" under JM.....not sure he's demonstrating it right now. Not sure we can CLEARLY say he's fine after such a short stint. If some people are still analysing ex-habs as far as the number of consecutive years they're doing good before admitting they are actually good players, it goes the same for our actual players...

Having said all of that.....I'm not a Pouliot fan but nobody can see what's the difference between a guy who has plenty of confidence or when he doesn't have any? Can it be more clearer?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote