HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Rangers targeting Mike Green's head?

Old
04-19-2011, 09:13 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You're a real fan of the game, aren't you?

Targeting the head, which is illegal, which could end a man's career, which could ruin his entire life, is a strategy to pursue?
One word.

Absolutely.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I hope they are. Green is a punk of epic proportions.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
OverTheCap

Are they targeting Green's head? I highly doubt the Rangers would endorse such a strategy considering their captain has had multiple concussions in his career.

Are they targeting Green in other ways? For sure. Avery has thrown Green off his game in the past. I'm sure they are trying to rattle him, whether it be through yapping or getting physical with him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:44 AM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnair87 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb5pLJOTshU

When the hit is like that... come back and talk to me.
I don't know what your point it... I see this no more malicious as Staal's hit on Mike Green this past game. Yeah he ended up getting the head. But I don't think it was a 'Oh watch me elbow this dude in the face' type move. Just worked out that way.

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:20 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Are they targeting Green's head? I highly doubt the Rangers would endorse such a strategy considering their captain has had multiple concussions in his career.

Are they targeting Green in other ways? For sure. Avery has thrown Green off his game in the past. I'm sure they are trying to rattle him, whether it be through yapping or getting physical with him.
I concur. That said, it's seems to me every year the NHL will get more dangerous. There are big collisions in every playoff series this season, with a few suspensions already in only the first round.

With the way the game is being taught and played, it should surprise nobody concussions are on the rise. Hard forechecking is the #1 policy of every team in the NHL these days, especially in the playoffs. Get in on the D-men, separate them from the puck or force them to turn it over. If we examine what this entails, it's clear concussions will be even more prevelant. Forecheckers skate harder and faster to reach the D. D-men are taught to sacrifice their bodies to make a play, move the puck or block a shot. The result, bigtime collisions which we are seeing today.

As much as the NHL is trying to crack down on blindside hits, the speed of the game and the way it is taught,... will only guarrantee more such injuries. Green, Seabrook, Lovejoy are only the tip of a continuing trend.

Last edited by ohbaby: 04-20-2011 at 07:32 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Is it a known injury?

Is thsi the Playoffs?

They effing better bet targeting his head.

That's all I have to say about that....

Came to say this. If your opponent has a weakness, you target it. No discussion.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Levitate

except targeting a guys head at this point can get you suspended for multiple games so that's probably something to take into consideration!

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:56 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
except targeting a guys head at this point can get you suspended for multiple games so that's probably something to take into consideration!
If you can end the career of someone who has the potential to do damage to your team for the next 10 years, you have to take the opportunity, even if it costs you a 50 game suspension.

There is no room in hockey for compassion.

Now, you do have to take into account the cost/benefit of your opponent. Mike Green is borderline worth it. But if it was Crosby or Ovechkin, how can you resist?

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:37 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

If the helets are lighter, thinner, and less inner padding then the helmets of the 80's/90's. And the shoulder pads are bigger, stiffer, and have caps on the shoulders.

The why is the NHL playing dumb when it comes to concussions?

It's not the hits, it's not just the types of hits. It's the space aged equipment that the manufacturers are ramming down the league's throat.

The helmets today are no better then the jofa boom helmets of the 70's. There was a reason the NHL went away from those helmets the first time. Does the $$$ bottom line always have to win? do player lives count less then the all mighty dollar? Does our game have to suffer because of the money factor as well? When does it end?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:37 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
One word.

Absolutely.
Then do not ***** if a Ranger gets smashed in the head and sustains a concussion. Don't know if you were around for the end of Beuk's career, but I guess you would have been okay with what happened that night. I wasn't.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
If you can end the career of someone who has the potential to do damage to your team for the next 10 years, you have to take the opportunity, even if it costs you a 50 game suspension.

Now, you do have to take into account the cost/benefit of your opponent. Mike Green is borderline worth it. But if it was Crosby or Ovechkin, how can you resist?
If that is the goal, why not just murder him in his house?

Old
04-20-2011, 10:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Bourdreau claims that Prust left his feet to make a hit? He should look at his own #8.

04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post

The helmets today are no better then the jofa boom helmets of the 70's. There was a reason the NHL went away from those helmets the first time.
You are right about the equipment, especially the elbow and shoulder pads being harder, but I have to respectfully disagree about the helmets being no better than the lightweight joffa helmets they used to wear. That's an exageration.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:00 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Quote:
True. And there is a bonus doing it that way because you avoid the penalties and power play.

Last edited by DoTheBlue: 04-20-2011 at 11:08 AM.
DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
If the helets are lighter, thinner, and less inner padding then the helmets of the 80's/90's. And the shoulder pads are bigger, stiffer, and have caps on the shoulders.

The why is the NHL playing dumb when it comes to concussions?

It's not the hits, it's not just the types of hits. It's the space aged equipment that the manufacturers are ramming down the league's throat.

The helmets today are no better then the jofa boom helmets of the 70's. There was a reason the NHL went away from those helmets the first time. Does the $$$ bottom line always have to win? do player lives count less then the all mighty dollar? Does our game have to suffer because of the money factor as well? When does it end?
That's an outright lie.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post

You should be ashamed of yourself. Mods, delete this garbage!!!

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:07 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Bourdreau claims that Prust left his feet to make a hit? He should look at his own #8.
He was looking at his own number 8. He didn't realize he had smeared some of that blueberry Hagen Daz ice cream he was eating at the bench all over the back of Ovechkin's jersey. So when he saw the blue jersey he just assumed it was Prust.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:12 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
It's not that you're wrong Chosen--I think that there's just a little bit more here when it comes to the Capitals who target our better players as well. I think just about every team in the east has bowled over Lundqvist at least half a dozen times. Ovechkin who is a major marketing tool for the league has had a number of questionable hits in his career--and IMO is a headhunter and a knee destroyer along with being a ****ing excellent hockey player--in some ways a reincarnation of Mark Messier. If he was on the Rangers almost all of us would be going yeah, yeah, yeah--but he's not and he does hurt other players from time to time--so in some respects it's a get them before they get you.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Why would we want to hurt him, hit him with the body and he gives up the puck everytime...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Quote:
Then do not ***** if a Ranger gets smashed in the head and sustains a concussion. Don't know if you were around for the end of Beuk's career, but I guess you would have been okay with what happened that night. I wasn't.
Completely different situation. Beuk's career ended due to a senseless act of goonery, not a clean hit.

Green should keep his head up and watch for incoming hits. Boudreau should eat a snack and stop whining.

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
John Torturella

You can target a player all you want, but if he doesn't put himself in a vulnerable position, he won't get injured. If Green has concussion issues, maybe he should stop lunging and keep his head up in the middle of the ice.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:39 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
You are right about the equipment, especially the elbow and shoulder pads being harder, but I have to respectfully disagree about the helmets being no better than the lightweight joffa helmets they used to wear. That's an exageration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's an outright lie.
It is NOT an out right lie, but was a slight exageration.

I own Artem Anisimovs game worn Wolfpack helmet. Not a retail helmet you get at the store that has to meet USA hockey u-18 specs. A pro helmet, an RBK 8k.

The padding inside is dence and rock hard with a wafer thin layer of soft absorbing material. The plastic is at least half as thin as the old Cooper/CCM helmets. And the total weight is better then half with a visor attached.

The jofa buckets had wafer thin padding that much is true, but what good is the rock hard & dence padding inside the RBK 8k besides to add the appearence of protection? Becasue the Stridex pads they have inside the 8k are a joke and no better the the jofa 70's helmets. The point of the helmet is not to put distance between the head and contact point, it's to absorb the energy of the hit. I dont see how that dence, hard material absorb's the energy of the contact and the thin pads do any justice. The Cooper/CCM helmets of the 80's/90's had 1/2" thick soft foam. 1/2" thick foam is more conducive to absorption of the energy created then the stuff today.

When the concussion rate has skyrocketed since they abandoned the 80's/90's style buckets you cant tell me there is not a dirrect corrilation.

Last edited by x BEUKEBOOM x: 04-20-2011 at 11:47 AM.
x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
Completely different situation. Beuk's career ended due to a senseless act of goonery, not a clean hit.

Green should keep his head up and watch for incoming hits. Boudreau should eat a snack and stop whining.
Not different. Poster was advocating headhunting to injure.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Blazephr

Are the Rangers Head-Hunting Green?

video here:
http://www.skateskateshoot.com/2011/...ing-green.html

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Quote:
Not different. Poster was advocating headhunting to injure.
I know. I'm arguing that you can "target" all you want as long as it's done with a legal hit. Beuk's last concussion was due to a sucker punch to the back of the head. I haven't seen any Ranger's deliberately target Mike Green's noggin in that manner.

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote