HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Quick's Game 3 Performance

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
  #26
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,418
vCash: 50
Quick didn't do anything to prevent their win, but in the end, he was far from the sole reason for any goal, so....

I mean outside of one goal where he was over-aggressive as a result of the Kings defense turning into something with rotten lettuce like consistency, I honestly can't think of anything he did wrong the entire game.

Live in the Now is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 11:35 AM
  #27
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The whole team had a forgettable game.

Niemi's performance was FAR more odorous than Quick's last night.
This. I can't think of a single goal that Quick really misplayed. With the exception of the 2nd goal which was an unfortunate bounce off Mitchell's stick, I think all the SJ goals came off cross ice passes and quick shots where Quick just couldn't go post to post in time.

Too many breakdowns in our own zone last night in the 2nd period.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
  #28
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
This. I can't think of a single goal that Quick really misplayed. With the exception of the 2nd goal which was an unfortunate bounce off Mitchell's stick, I think all the SJ goals came off cross ice passes and quick shots where Quick just couldn't go post to post in time.

Too many breakdowns in our own zone last night in the 2nd period.
When they go over the video of the breakdowns there are going to be some shamed players. Johnson staring at the puck was just atrocious. The guy just doesn't have what it takes to be a plus player, he plays dumb like the game is moving too fast for him when he's on defense.

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 11:53 AM
  #29
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
I'm curious to hear from JT.

JDM is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:01 PM
  #30
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I don't care how you guys want to spin things. Jonathan Quick got spotted a 4 goal lead in the playoffs, and SIV'd up 5 GOALS in one period. FIVE. One. Two. Three. Four. FIVE. Then lost the game in overtime.

Stop babying this guy. The fact is Bernier is and has been better since the all star break and would not allow that to happen.

BUT - Quicks the guy. Why? "Because he just is."

two out of three* is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:08 PM
  #31
LombardiTool
Registered User
 
LombardiTool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fontana, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I don't care how you guys want to spin things. Jonathan Quick got spotted a 4 goal lead in the playoffs, and SIV'd up 5 GOALS in one period. FIVE. One. Two. Three. Four. FIVE. Then lost the game in overtime.

Stop babying this guy. The fact is Bernier is and has been better since the all star break and would not allow that to happen.

BUT - Quicks the guy. Why? "Because he just is."
No spin here... Quick is the guy because people in the NHL with over 25-30 years of experience in the business decided it should be. Not some hack who will ground his kid for a month because he gets a C on his math quiz.

LombardiTool is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:12 PM
  #32
itstheo54
Registered User
 
itstheo54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Let Bernier play and see what happens, the kings aren't winning the cup this year, we have at least 2 games left, lets see what Bernier can do.

itstheo54 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
  #33
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,251
vCash: 500
Quick's play in net matched with the defense in front of him, sloppy. I thought we were seeing Kelly Hrudey in net with all the belly flops and scrambling in the crease. Quick and the defense need to both learn to play under pressure, deal with adversity and most importantly, they have to show some mental toughness.

Last night, we saw no composure, no mental toughness. They were a team that was playing on its heels, and we saw an inept coach who had no clue how to react to it.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
  #34
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh
 
tigermask48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
I knew this and the timeout thread were coming today and had a pretty good idea of how they would go but man somehow they are still both amazing funny to read... So much logic and reasoning just thrown out the window in favor of knee-jerk reactions. It's great.

tigermask48 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
  #35
Martyros
Registered User
 
Martyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Holly Hood
Country: Armenia
Posts: 5,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I don't care how you guys want to spin things. Jonathan Quick got spotted a 4 goal lead in the playoffs, and SIV'd up 5 GOALS in one period. FIVE. One. Two. Three. Four. FIVE. Then lost the game in overtime.

Stop babying this guy. The fact is Bernier is and has been better since the all star break and would not allow that to happen.

BUT - Quicks the guy. Why? "Because he just is."
Why is he the guy? Because he's proven to be the guy. YOURE the one tryin to spin this argument in your favor. What would have vernier done to prevent the shallacking? Form an invisible clone in order to prevent the cross ice passes? Give me a goal that did NOT result from a cross ice pass which SHOULD be tracked by defenders. Are you gonna argue that he "overcommitted" on the shooter? BEcause that would be a pretty dumb claim. He also saved the Douglas Murray attempt, which he committed to just as much as he did to Boyle. Did you want him to cheat on the play and anticipate the pass so Boyle would have half an empty net? You guys are just unbelievable. No, quick didn't "shine" in fact, the only line that showed heart was he 3rd line. Murray didn't use his timeout in SEVERAL occasions, Johnson was lost, penner's busting out big macs from his jock, and you blame QUICK?

Martyros is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:21 PM
  #36
itstheo54
Registered User
 
itstheo54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Why is he the guy? Because he's proven to be the guy. YOURE the one tryin to spin this argument in your favor. What would have vernier done to prevent the shallacking? Form an invisible clone in order to prevent the cross ice passes? Give me a goal that did NOT result from a cross ice pass which SHOULD be tracked by defenders. Are you gonna argue that he "overcommitted" on the shooter? BEcause that would be a pretty dumb claim. He also saved the Douglas Murray attempt, which he committed to just as much as he did to Boyle. Did you want him to cheat on the play and anticipate the pass so Boyle would have half an empty net? You guys are just unbelievable. No, quick didn't "shine" in fact, the only line that showed heart was he 3rd line. Murray didn't use his timeout in SEVERAL occasions, Johnson was lost, penner's busting out big macs from his jock, and you blame QUICK?
Penner had an assist and in the end the bos score reads quick GAA: 6!!!!

itstheo54 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:23 PM
  #37
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Why is he the guy? Because he's proven to be the guy. YOURE the one tryin to spin this argument in your favor. What would have vernier done to prevent the shallacking? Form an invisible clone in order to prevent the cross ice passes? Give me a goal that did NOT result from a cross ice pass which SHOULD be tracked by defenders. Are you gonna argue that he "overcommitted" on the shooter? BEcause that would be a pretty dumb claim. He also saved the Douglas Murray attempt, which he committed to just as much as he did to Boyle. Did you want him to cheat on the play and anticipate the pass so Boyle would have half an empty net? You guys are just unbelievable. No, quick didn't "shine" in fact, the only line that showed heart was he 3rd line. Murray didn't use his timeout in SEVERAL occasions, Johnson was lost, penner's busting out big macs from his jock, and you blame QUICK?
He gave up 6 goals.. Jonathan Quick is the ONLY goalie in this league to give up 6 goals in a playoff game, and still be looked at as some type of HERO. He's NOT the guy. Four goal lead, and you give up 5 goals in a period? THAT'S who you guys think is the guy? Holy ****.

two out of three* is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:23 PM
  #38
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
If you give up 5 goals in ONE period you are NOT the guy. I know everybody likes to slob on him (Quick), but if Bernier starts the game everybody is walking home a happy Kings fan.

But it's okay. "Quicks the guy."

Why?

"Because he is."
"if Bernier starts the game" just means he gives up 5 in the period instead of Quick. The team would have played the same crap game in front of him. Now, if you change the quote to "if Quick is pulled in the 2nd period and Bernier takes over to send a message to the team to wake the **** up", then I'm with you....but that doesn't do much for your "Quick's not the guy" message, does it?

SLang is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:26 PM
  #39
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
"if Bernier starts the game" just means he gives up 5 in the period instead of Quick. The team would have played the same crap game in front of him. Now, if you change the quote to "if Quick is pulled in the 2nd period and Bernier takes over to send a message to the team to wake the **** up", then I'm with you....but that doesn't do much for your "Quick's not the guy" message, does it?
You're delusional. Bernier is a BETTER goaltender so therefore, those FIVE goals in one period don't happen. MAYBE two. MAYBE three. MAYBE four. But FIVE. Not happening if the best goaltender we have (Bernier) starts the game.

two out of three* is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
  #40
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Why is he the guy? Because he's proven to be the guy. YOURE the one tryin to spin this argument in your favor. What would have vernier done to prevent the shallacking? Form an invisible clone in order to prevent the cross ice passes? Give me a goal that did NOT result from a cross ice pass which SHOULD be tracked by defenders. Are you gonna argue that he "overcommitted" on the shooter? BEcause that would be a pretty dumb claim. He also saved the Douglas Murray attempt, which he committed to just as much as he did to Boyle. Did you want him to cheat on the play and anticipate the pass so Boyle would have half an empty net? You guys are just unbelievable. No, quick didn't "shine" in fact, the only line that showed heart was he 3rd line. Murray didn't use his timeout in SEVERAL occasions, Johnson was lost, penner's busting out big macs from his jock, and you blame QUICK?
While I agree Quick isn't entirely to blame (he certainly didn't help, but it's not all his fault either)... the bolded statement is rather silly.

Bernier hasn't exactly had much of a chance to prove he's the guy this year. Quick was anointed the #1 in the beginning, Murray's stuck with it, and he's said that Quick is going to play every game in the playoffs no matter what.

I remember the last time a coach on the Kings named the goalie they liked more the defacto #1 no matter what. That wasn't too pretty, either.

King'sPawn is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:31 PM
  #41
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
You're delusional. Bernier is a BETTER goaltender so therefore, those FIVE goals in one period don't happen. MAYBE two. MAYBE three. MAYBE four. But FIVE. Not happening if the best goaltender we have (Bernier) starts the game.
Maybe two, maybe three, maybe four, but not five?

LOL dude, that's some serious hedging.

If SJ had scored 6 in the second period, you'd be saying maybe three, maybe four, maybe five.

You are reaching so far here I'm shocked your arms are still attached at the shoulder to allow you to type.

JDM is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
  #42
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
why are people even responding to this troll thread.

bobafettish* is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
  #43
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I'm curious to hear from JT.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=579

... That's what I said during the GDT. I don't put anything on Quick. Could he have been better? Sure. Was he GREAT? Not really. Were any of the goals he allowed soft at all? Nope.

For better or worse, this man has been chosen to be the number one goalie. He's going to start game 4, and I think he should. No one should be singled out for the loss, especially Quick.

And just for the record - don't lump me in with the "Bernier is better" crowd. I've been of the mind that the two are equally good. This is why I wanted them both to have equal time in the playoffs.

JT Dutch* is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:35 PM
  #44
kingdoughty
Registered User
 
kingdoughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 724
vCash: 500
Bernier is better put him in the net and let him shine

kingdoughty is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
  #45
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=579

... That's what I said during the GDT. I don't put anything on Quick. Could he have been better? Sure. Was he GREAT? Not really. Were any of the goals he allowed soft at all? Nope.

For better or worse, this man has been chosen to be the number one goalie. He's going to start game 4, and I think he should. No one should be singled out for the loss, especially Quick.
Thanks. Glad to hear you are one of the sane ones today

JDM is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:42 PM
  #46
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
He gave up 6 goals.. Jonathan Quick is the ONLY goalie in this league to give up 6 goals in a playoff game, and still be looked at as some type of HERO. He's NOT the guy. Four goal lead, and you give up 5 goals in a period? THAT'S who you guys think is the guy? Holy ****.
Are you seriously not reading what people write?

Yes, the final score was 6-5.

You tell me which goal you think Bernier would have stopped over Quick..

sjmay* is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:42 PM
  #47
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Maybe two, maybe three, maybe four, but not five?

LOL dude, that's some serious hedging.

If SJ had scored 6 in the second period, you'd be saying maybe three, maybe four, maybe five.

You are reaching so far here I'm shocked your arms are still attached at the shoulder to allow you to type.
Yet, I'm delusional.

SLang is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
  #48
Kingurentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
You're delusional. Bernier is a BETTER goaltender so therefore, those FIVE goals in one period don't happen. MAYBE two. MAYBE three. MAYBE four. But FIVE. Not happening if the best goaltender we have (Bernier) starts the game.


I'm actually a fan of Bernier and his time will come, but Bernier fans are hilarious:

1. Quick has good game -> No comment
2. Quick has bad game -> Bernier is the greatest ever
Note: Neither 1 nor 2 above have anything to do with Bernier's actual performance in the NHL for an extended period.

You guys might as well just c/p these threads to save yourself some time because it's ALWAYS the same.

Kingurentai is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:50 PM
  #49
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
He gave up 6 goals.. Jonathan Quick is the ONLY goalie in this league to give up 6 goals in a playoff game, and still be looked at as some type of HERO. He's NOT the guy. Four goal lead, and you give up 5 goals in a period? THAT'S who you guys think is the guy? Holy ****.
Roberto Luongo gave up 6 last night. He's done the same thing in the previous two playoff years. **** happens. Enough with these trundling, repetitive, uncompromising statements. Its one thing to have an opinion, but this is a becoming mania, a sick obsession. Or a ridiculous misconception that goals = goaltender fault every time without exception.


Last edited by Ollie Weeks: 04-20-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Ollie Weeks is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:58 PM
  #50
Martyros
Registered User
 
Martyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Holly Hood
Country: Armenia
Posts: 5,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
You're delusional. Bernier is a BETTER goaltender so therefore, those FIVE goals in one period don't happen. MAYBE two. MAYBE three. MAYBE four. But FIVE. Not happening if the best goaltender we have (Bernier) starts the game.
Bernier's better? Because he's proven? In a sample size of what, 20 games? Quick was given the chance due to seniority and faired well. The fact that you claim Bernier would have been our savior makes YOU delusional.

Martyros is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.