HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Bruce Boudreau to 105.9, on MSG crowd (Update: Backing down?)

Old
04-20-2011, 02:06 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Caps were 5th in the league in attendance in 1990.
Caps were 8th in the league in attendance in 1991.
Caps were 8th in the league in attendance in 1992.
Caps were 11th in the league in attendance in 1993.

Caps were 21st in the league in attendance in 2001.
Caps were 13th in the league in attendance in 2002.

The Bruins, Blackhawks, Blues etc are all teams who have die-hard fanbases who didnt go to games even with the team playing halfway decent.

I was 100 pct correct. The Caps already had an established loyal fan base. Look at the stands nowadays. It's a mostly over 40 or 50 crowd. I will bet the farm that those same people were going to games in landover in the 80s and 90s.

You cant judge a fan base by going to 5 or 10 games. Ask the people who actually covered the sport and they will tell you the Caps/Rangers games of the 1980s and early 1990s were almost full of Caps fans. I really dont know where you got your information from.
I grew up outside DC.
I see a lot of bandwagoners wearing Ovechkin/Caps shirts and stickers.
I can attest to the fact prior to 2008, I never, ever, in my 19 years in the area saw ONE car and maybe five people wearing Caps gear.
Not even in 1998 when they made finals.

I attended many Caps Rangers games and until 2008, it was always 50/50 (and in fact one game in 1999, the year after the Caps made the finals, they had maybe 12,000 fans at one early season game and it was 75% Rangers fans).

The Caps never drew, they had 10 buck tickets, many giveaways, and inflated attendance because PIT/NYR/PHI/DET and TOR/MON fans would buy blocks of tickets.
They never drew.

In the playoffs when the played the Pens they instituted a policy to block Pens fans out of buying tickets (didn't work).
The next season, they played Tampa in the playoffs, and didn't sell out one game.

I will never forget in 2003, after they lost at home, in front of 14,000 fans for a playoff game with players like Bondra/Jagr/Gonchar/Kolzig....their owner whined and cried to the Washington Post that he was heartbroken and livid over how poorly DC was in supporting the Caps.

That is the DC hockeytown I know and will never forget.
The had good teams in the 80s with Landway and Scott Stevens.
They had solid players like Bondra/Kolzig that many teams aspire to have, and the town ignored them.
This is what DC is, a horrible hockey town that likes to cry poverty and ask for a mulligan for ignoring the sport for 40 years when truth is, only when they have a superstar and "star power" of being a consistent team, then and only then, do they give a ****, and then the have the chuztpah to flaunt themselves as this "passionate" fanbase.

Give me a break.
They still need the scoreboard to instruct fans not only to make noise but also, explain icing and offsides.
DC is a phony bandwagon johnny come lately town.

Proof?
2003 playoffs, game 6, 14,000 fans and their owner blames it on "passover" for a team with Jagr and franchise great Bondra.
That's all you need to know.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:31 AM
BlaqICE

Send a message via ICQ to BlaqICE Send a message via AIM to BlaqICE Send a message via MSN to BlaqICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlands View Post
I grew up outside DC.
I can attest to the fact prior to 2008, I never, ever, in my 19 years in the area saw ONE car and maybe five people wearing Caps gear.

I attended many Caps Rangers games and until 2008, it was always 50/50 (and in fact one game in 1999, the year after the Caps made the finals, they had maybe 12,000 fans at one early season game and it was 75% Rangers fans).

The Caps never drew, they had 10 buck tickets, many giveaways, and inflated attendance because PIT/NYR/PHI/DET and TOR/MON fans would buy blocks of tickets.
They never drew.

In the playoffs when the played the Pens they instituted a policy to block Pens fans out of buying tickets (didn't work).
The next season, they played Tampa in the playoffs, and didn't sell out one game.

I will never forget in 2003, after they lost at home, in front of 14,000 fans for a playoff game with players like Bondra/Jagr/Gonchar/Kolzig....their owner whined and cried to the Washington Post that he was heartbroken and livid over how poorly DC was in supporting the Caps.

They had solid players like Bondra/Kolzig that many teams aspire to have, and the town ignored them.
This is what DC is, a horrible hockey town that likes to cry poverty and ask for a mulligan for ignoring the sport for 40 years when truth is, only when they have a superstar and "star power" of being a consistent team, then and only then, do they give a ****, and then the have the chuztpah to flaunt themselves as this "passionate" fanbase.

Give me a break.
They still need the scoreboard to instruct fans not only to make noise but also, explain icing and offsides.

Proof?
2003 playoffs, game 6, 14,000 fans and their owner blames it on "passover" for a team with Jagr and franchise great Bondra.
If I met you in person, I would shake your hand, good Sir.

BlaqICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

Quote:
I grew up outside DC.

They never drew.

Give me a break.

Proof?

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:46 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I don't about you guys, but after watching 24/7, I liked BB even more. Seems like a genuine, affable guy who speaks his mind. God forbid we have hockey coaches with personality. I mean, those Tom Renney pressers were sooooooooo interesting.

People on here actually calling him "classless" for dropping F-bombs, yet are advocating chants making fun of the guys weight....How funny is it going to be when the 300-pounders at MSG with fitted tucked-in Barry Beck jerseys take time out from their pizza and nachos to chant "We Want Ice Cream" or whatever the hell you guys want to chant.

The same people who complained about his language are the same ones who cheer on when Colton Orr knocked a guy out senseless or when Crosby got injured.

And to the guys who are obsessed with calling Caps fans "bandwagoners" while basing a fan base's passion on how many bumper stickers they see within a 50-mile radius in Suburban DC, that has zero relevance to what Boudreau was saying.

Verizon Center is a loud building that is sold out every night for three years, and will continue to sell out.

Wow...look at all those Rangers jerseys. You could hear a pin drop.

That was Round 1 against the Devils.

I hate the Capitals as much as any team, but I HATE ignorant homer fans no matter the team.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:11 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
I don't about you guys, but after watching 24/7, I liked BB even more. Seems like a genuine, affable guy who speaks his mind. God forbid we have hockey coaches with personality. I mean, those Tom Renney pressers were sooooooooo interesting.

People on here actually calling him "classless" for dropping F-bombs, yet are advocating chants making fun of the guys weight....How funny is it going to be when the 300-pounders at MSG with fitted tucked-in Barry Beck jerseys take time out from their pizza and nachos to chant "We Want Ice Cream" or whatever the hell you guys want to chant.

The same people who complained about his language are the same ones who cheer on when Colton Orr knocked a guy out senseless or when Crosby got injured.

And to the guys who are obsessed with calling Caps fans "bandwagoners" while basing a fan base's passion on how many bumper stickers they see within a 50-mile radius in Suburban DC, that has zero relevance to what Boudreau was saying.

Verizon Center is a loud building that is sold out every night for three years, and will continue to sell out.

I hate the Capitals as much as any team, but I HATE ignorant homer fans no matter the team.
'Hate' is maybe going a little too far. I really don't give two ***** about how someone might categorize a fan or a fanbase. My major concern is how well the Rangers are doing--but then again if the Rangers get knocked out I'll probably stop watching any games until next September--which is basically to say that I'm a Rangers fan period--end of sentence and don't really give a damn about NHL extravaganzas or marketing of particular teams or players. It's either Stanley Cup or bust and wait until next season to try again.

That being said--if the Rangers can use Boudreau's statements over the last few days as motivation--it's all good.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:

I haven't read of anyone calling him classless for dropping f-bombs, it seems to me Rangers fans are angry about him blowing his mouth off about us. If anyone did say that it's been one person, regardless it doesn't apply to th general consensus as you attempt to make it appear that way.

Quote:
Please, as if nobody was concerned when they saw the guy was knocked out? When a guy lands a good punch, the crowd is going cheer, to deomonize the fans for what every other fan base does is just ridiculous.

Quote:

Doesn't the bolded, well I don't know, prove the point? The past three years, you mean, when they actually started making the playoffs. It's easy to show passion when the team you're rooting for is actually good.

And no, it has not totally sold out the past three years, only the past two, when they have been the one seed. Even the season that they were the two seed they did not sell every game out, and the season before that their average attendance was 82.9% (27th in the league. So, the relevance is passion of the fans. Rangers fans have suffered for a majority of the time, and most of us here have stuck through it. To point out that they have a bandwagon is a fair point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwagon_fan

Last edited by Section 409: 04-20-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:49 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
I haven't read of anyone calling him classless for dropping f-bombs, it seems to me Rangers fans are angry about him blowing his mouth off about us. If anyone did say that it's been one person, regardless it doesn't apply to th general consensus as you attempt to make it appear that way.

Please, as if nobody was concerned when they saw the guy was knocked out? When a guy lands a good punch, the crowd is going cheer, to deomonize the fans for what every other fan base does is just ridiculous.

Doesn't the bolded, well I don't know, prove the point? The past three years, you mean, when they actually started making the playoffs. It's easy to show passion when the team you're rooting for is actually good.

And no, it has not totally sold out the past three years, only the past two, when they have been the one seed. Even the season that they were the two seed they did not sell every game out, and the season before that their average attendance was 82.9% (27th in the league. So, the relevance is passion of the fans. Rangers fans have suffered for a majority of the time, and most of us here have stuck through it. To point out that they have a bandwagon is a fair point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwagon_fan

I agree, but sports fans of older teams have this "Holier than Thou" attitude about other teams.

I never said that the Caps dont have a bandwagon. I was disputing somebody's claim that the Caps didnt have a passionate fan base, even one prior to Ovechkin.

And we New Yorkers shouldnt get too upset about coach's saying our arenas/stadiums are quiet.

Giants stadium is a library sometimes. The new Yankee Stadium is a joke. Citifield is half empty. The Garden was dead for 10 years when the Isiah Knicks played. And in the Rangers' 7 playoff less seasons, the only time the building got loud after the first month of the season was when they were booing Poti and Driver and Nedved.

Attendence isnt a good gauge of a fan base's passion, knowledge and dedication. I used to go to Red Sox games in the early 1990s and the stadium would be half full against the Blue Jays and Oakland if the games were during the week. Yet Sox fans are considered one of the most loyal and passionate in all of baseball,.

I have been to Yankees games in 1994 and 1996 where they would draw 35,000 and the team was in 1st place.

Bottom line: I dont doubt the Caps fan base has grown over the last few seasons, but taking shots at the fan base because their head coach made a stupid comment is ignorant, and I already proved that the Caps did once have a very passionate fan base who were turned off after horrible management decisons.

Seriously, the Blackhawks used to sell out the Old Barn every night and when they moved to the United Center, people stopped going. On top of that, the team sucked and it got to the point where their games werent televised.

So, is their fan base bandwagoners too because they started winning?

And in the link you provided, it says that Fair-weather fans are fans who only follow the team when they are winning.

Sounds to me like you can still "follow" a team without going to the games.

Last edited by GWOW: 04-20-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old
04-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
I agree, but sports fans of older teams have this "Holier than Thou" attitude about other teams.

I never said that the Caps dont have a bandwagon. I was disputing somebody's claim that the Caps didnt have a passionate fan base, even one prior to Ovechkin.

And we New Yorkers shouldnt get too upset about coach's saying our arenas/stadiums are quiet.

Giants stadium is a library sometimes. The new Yankee Stadium is a joke. Citifield is half empty. The Garden was dead for 10 years when the Isiah Knicks played. And in the Rangers' 7 playoff less seasons, the only time the building got loud after the first month of the season was when they were booing Poti and Driver and Nedved.

Attendence isnt a good gauge of a fan base's passion, knowledge and dedication. I used to go to Red Sox games in the early 1990s and the stadium would be half full against the Blue Jays and Oakland if the games were during the week. Yet Sox fans are considered one of the most loyal and passionate in all of baseball,.

I have been to Yankees games in 1994 and 1996 where they would draw 35,000 and the team was in 1st place.

Bottom line: I dont doubt the Caps fan base has grown over the last few seasons, but taking shots at the fan base because their head coach made a stupid comment is ignorant, and I already proved that the Caps did once have a very passionate fan base who were turned off after horrible management decisons.

Seriously, the Blackhawks used to sell out the Old Barn every night and when they moved to the United Center, people stopped going. On top of that, the team sucked and it got to the point where their games werent televised.

So, is their fan base bandwagoners too because they started winning?
In baseball that might be the case, since the stadiums are generally double the capacity, and there are nearly double the amount of games. However, when attendance figures rise sharply as soon as the local team becomes a playoff team, yeah it's a good way to judge. Especially when they do not have to play the premium we Rangers fans have to pay.

I think the point here is Bruce seems to insinuate Capitals fans are more passionate. Either way, he opened his fat trap about us, and he was a majority group of bandwagoners.

No, it makes them fair weather. When people stop following their teams when they begin to do poorly I can't call them real fans.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Let's stay on topic here guys, Boudreau would eat his own mother if you covered her with enough chocolate and whip cream.

04-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Let's stay on topic here guys, Boudreau would eat his own mother if you covered her with enough chocolate and whip cream.
You win, sir. I'm laughing so hard right now.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
I was at the game and the atmosphere was electric and quite frankly fantastic.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:22 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Ripped from a soccer song....

"Can you hear DC sing? NOOO.... NOOO.... Can you hear DC sing? Nooo......Noooo...... Can you hear DC sing? I can't hear a f@cken thing! NOO... Noo.. Noo....."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot3_Icp_gzA

"You're not singing anymore"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNVS4_dRK7M

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
I grew up outside DC.

They never drew.

Give me a break.

Proof?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:39 AM
mucker*

Quote:

Yes, sold out the last two seasons. Prior to that, the Caps could not draw for Jagr or Ovechkin in his first 2.5 seasons? WHy? Because the Caps were not the "in" cool thing, and DC will not support a sports team unless it's hip.
Game 6 of the 2003 playoffs.
Jagr. Bondra. Kolzig.
And the Caps draw 14,000 fans.
That is the epitomy of the Caps fanbase, they never cared until now when it became hip.

Hmmm, well I am not as multi-media savy as you so I don't have the videos to counter.
I just have the memories.
The 1991 playoffs when the Rangers invaded DC, the 1994 playoffs when we did the same.
The 1991, 1994,1995,1996 playoffs when the Penguins invaded DC, and then when Ted bought the team, in 2000 and 2001 when he was the first owner ever in sports to restrict ticket sales based on geographic location because he was sick of Penguins and Rangers and Flyers fans making it their second home.

I recall as well the 1998 Finals, try and find that video.
It was 50% Red Wing fans there and the next season, 1999, when the Caps won the division they were back to having 12,000 during Redskin season.

I hate the Caps organization and I hate their fans. They have no understanding or respect for the game, and BB is the perfect symbol of their fanbase.
Fat. Loudmouth. And clueless/classless.

Why is it I can see the Rangers in Boston and get a little friendly ribbing but otherwise be ignored and treated to a good game, when I go to a game in DC I get a 10 year old kid stalking me, some 30 year old woman saying "Rangers ****" and some fat*** 40 year old redneck from Manassas yelling to me that we buy the refs because they called the play dead when Lundqvist covered the puck for 5 seconds?

Yea, you don't live in the area. You didn't see how all of the sudden in 2009 people started wearing red shirts and jerseys and claiming to rock the red.
I remember in Alex Ovehckins first seasons nobody knew or care about him and it was kind of sad a player of his talent was so underappreciated.
Then they came on board.

Sorry but DC is completely low-information, johnny come lately. They do not respect the game because they don't know it.
The Verizon Center is loud but when did being loud indicate a strong, passionate, knowledgeable fanbase?
I'm sorry that we Ranger fans don't complain everytime we get called for an icing, or an offsides.
Sorry but we know WHAT to cheer for and WHEN to cheer and WHEN to watch.
I mean, if being loud is all that matters, put 18,000 babies crying in an arena then, that'll make noise.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Yea, you don't live in the area.

That is really the key, I moved down here in 2000 so I have witnessed the recent transition that you have mentioned and you are spot on. Unless you live in the middle of all this BS I really don't think you can appreciate the red tidalwave of crap spewed by these fans.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:26 PM
savebyrichter35

This video was uploaded in December of 2007. Boy, look at all those Caps fans!

EDIT: I'm a technotard, so if someone can edit this and make the video show up it would be greatly appreciated lol

Last edited by Melrose_Jr.: 04-20-2011 at 01:12 PM.
savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I too live in the middle of it.

During game one, I received texts from three different friends talking ****. None of these three had ever previously expressed even a passing interest in the game. It's nauseating.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rangers fans better not disappoint tonight. Everyone in the NY sports world and otherwise is expecting the Garden to be LOUD tonight. Hell even Mike Francesser is talking about it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post

EDIT: I'm a technotard, so if someone can edit this and make the video show up it would be greatly appreciated lol
There you are, sir.

Old
04-20-2011, 12:56 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
There you are, sir.
lol, not even going to tell him how to do it??

I'll add..when linking to a YT video you don't put the whole link in, just the section after the =
For example:

you had http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oDIw8Kl2bs

between the [yt] tags, next time just use:

3oDIw8Kl2bs and it should work fine.

hope that helps.

btw, good find, that is exactly what some of us are talking about.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
lol, not even going to tell him how to do it??

I'll add..when linking to a YT video you don't put the whole link in, just the section after the =
For example:

you had http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oDIw8Kl2bs

between the [yt] tags, next time just use:

3oDIw8Kl2bs and it should work fine.

hope that helps.

btw, good find, that is exactly what some of us are talking about.
I originally moved the YT in my post, the deleted and consequently deleted the explanation

Old
04-20-2011, 01:20 PM
truebluegoalie

Didn't see this posted yet and was going to post this in the GDT but it is probably more appropriate here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ckey-questions

Bruce Boudreau not answering any MSG 'non-hockey' questions

"You know what, you guys are asking this question and it's a non-hockey question," Boudreau said Wednesday morning. "We've got two teams that are battling their rear ends off every night, hitting and everything, and we come in with these non-important [questions]. So I'm not going to talk about it anymore, because you just blow it way out of proportion."

Lmao.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post

Again, you're basing the passion and support of a team's entire fan base off of one home game in the middle of winter after a season in which they were one of the worst teams in the league. Sure, there arent fans at that particular game, but did you know that Caps local TV ratings jumped 75 percent in 2007-08 from the previous year (Rangers only a 33 pct jump)

Quote:
Last season Capitals ratings climbed significantly, driven by the arrival of head coach Bruce Boudreau. For the entire 2007 to 2008 regular season, Capitals ratings increased 75 percent from the prior year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...1/daily78.html
Again, i find it completely ridiculous to say the fan base are "bandwagoners" because of attendance figures.

If that's the case, so are Mets fans and Jets fans, who avoided their respective stadiums like the plague during the Bonilla/Kotite years but then magically reappeared in droves once 1998 rolled around (for both teams)

http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/c...s/sheet019.htm

What Boudreau said has absolutely nothing to do with 2007 or 1990 or 1967. It has to do with the present, and sadly, you cant deny that the Caps current fan base is rapid and passionate. When they decided to become that way is completely irrelevant.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I have no problem with Boudreau as a coach or a person, and 24/7 was hilarious and I hate that all people find funny is calling him a fat pig.

That being said, when you call out the fanbase of a team that is KNOWN for having a die-hard fanbase you just spit in the wind.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Again, you're basing the passion and support of a team's entire fan base off of one home game in the middle of winter after a season in which they were one of the worst teams in the league. Sure, there arent fans at that particular game, but did you know that Caps local TV ratings jumped 75 percent in 2007-08 from the previous year (Rangers only a 33 pct jump)

Again, i find it completely ridiculous to say the fan base are "bandwagoners" because of attendance figures.

If that's the case, so are Mets fans and Jets fans, who avoided their respective stadiums like the plague during the Bonilla/Kotite years but then magically reappeared in droves once 1998 rolled around (for both teams)

http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/c...s/sheet019.htm

What Boudreau said has absolutely nothing to do with 2007 or 1990 or 1967. It has to do with the present, and sadly, you cant deny that the Caps current fan base is rapid and passionate. When they decided to become that way is completely irrelevant.
So, their ratings jumped when they started winning? That's not bandwagon?