HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Eagles Scheduled 1/1/12 Home Game Means No Winter Classic

Old
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
JABEE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Good point raised... WC would be New Years Eve 12/31/11 so there is no conflict with the NFL games on Sunday 1/1/12... Interesting; it allows Philly and CBP -- Linc would be out due to field set up for football -- also avoids Mummers Parade conflict.
WC has always been on January 1 and even if it wasn't there is no way the Eagles would let them hold an event with a hockey rink on their grass the day before a home game.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:26 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
very curious to see how this plays out. Like Sawdalite said, I think they'll try and move the game to the 31st. They'd get killed head to head against the NFL and they couldn't hold it primetime because of NBC's 'Sunday Night Football'.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
WC has always been on January 1 and even if it wasn't there is no way the Eagles would let them hold an event with a hockey rink on their grass the day before a home game.
That's what I said... or at least tried to say... That opens up Citizens Bank Park (CBP) and eliminates the Linc because of the field set up for football the next day.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Gert B Frobe

Eagles probably did it on purpose as they see the success of the other teams in this town as competition.

Eagles are going to suuuuuck anyways. I used to like them but they just don't care about their fans - and screw them at every opportunity. And Reid is such an arrogant turd in his press conferences - gets all snippy like a diva. "you can't ask me that I'm Andy Reid!!!" I didn't think mormons were supposed to be arrogant and deal drugs.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:52 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Replacement players are unimportant anyway.

04-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Won't happen. NHL wants this in football stadiums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flin Flon Bomber View Post
Capacities:
Linc - 68,532
CBP - 43,647
Fenway - 37,402
Well, they keep talking about baseball stadiums for this thing... so clearly they're not that against the idea of baseball stadiums.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
The WC isn't going to be on Jan 1st this year... foregone conclusion there.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:24 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The WC isn't going to be on Jan 1st this year... foregone conclusion there.
Good, never liked the idea of it going up against major collegiate bowl games.

And again, it shouldn't be on the Linc if Philly "hosts." CBP or take it out to Happy Valley. Eagles will find a way to screw the whole thing up or raise a big stink.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

So ... where will they play on Jan. 2?

WINTER CLASSIC MARKETS
NFL schedule
Philly (Eagles home Jan. 1)
New York (Giants home Jan. 1)
Pittsburgh (Steelers home Dec. 24, already hosted)
Boston (Pats home Jan. 1, already been to Fenway)
Buffalo (Bills home Dec. 24, already hosted)
Washington (Redskins home Dec. 24)
Detroit (doesn't matter, but Lions home Dec. 24)
Nashville (Titans home Dec. 24, no MLB option)
St. Louis (doesn't matter, but Rams home Jan. 1)
Denver (Broncos home Jan. 1)
Minnesota (doesn't matter, but Vikes home Jan. 1)
Columbus (no NFL team, and not hosting the WC)
Chicago (Bears on road for last two games, but already hosted)

PLACES WITH VIABLE COLLEGE FOOTBALL STADIUM OPTIONS
Philly (Happy Valley?)
Detroit (Ann Arbor?)
Denver (Boulder?)
Minnesota (no, TFC unusable after Dec. 1)
Columbus (Ohio State, but no chance of being in the game)

Is the winner Chicago? Again? It's the only place empty after Dec. 18. There are plenty of baseball venues. But, and here's the key, NFL teams could swap home dates with a divisional rival, as all of the games in Week 17 are against a division rival. In Philly's case, they'd get a four-game homestand (with a bye in there) over five weeks midseason.
But Philly is in the same boat as every other WC market except Chicago. It's a baseball stadium or nothing, unless they go to a college town.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Well, they keep talking about baseball stadiums for this thing... so clearly they're not that against the idea of baseball stadiums.
I recall Dan Craig stating a ways back that after Wrigley and Fenway, they got the 2 baseball stadiums they really wanted to do, and that the goal was now to keep it in football stadiums. If they had to I'm sure they would, but he made it sound like that if your football stadium is in use, you're pretty much at the back of the line.

This also reinforces 98%-sure position that the Eagles would never, ever let this happen. They know that the league was gunning for Philadelphia.

If I were to lay money down today, I'd bet on a return matchup of Blackhawks/Red Wings in Ann Arbor.

And one year they're going to sell out to Jerry Jones

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I recall Dan Craig stating a ways back that after Wrigley and Fenway, they got the 2 baseball stadiums they really wanted to do, and that the goal was now to keep it in football stadiums. If they had to I'm sure they would, but he made it sound like that if your football stadium is in use, you're pretty much at the back of the line.

This also reinforces 98%-sure position that the Eagles would never, ever let this happen. They know that the league was gunning for Philadelphia.

If I were to lay money down today, I'd bet on a return matchup of Blackhawks/Red Wings in Ann Arbor.

And one year they're going to sell out to Jerry Jones
Well, Yankee stadium is absolutely on their radar... and we've heard about Citi field, too.

Moreover, the stadium is actually less important for the event than the TV draw... NBC doesn't get any of the gate receipt I'm assuming, and they just put $200M into the NHL's pocket.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

NBC has an NFL TV contract as well as the NHL deal. The WC will be played where NBC wants it to be played, with the teams approved by NBC. With Yankee Stadium unavailable, it looks like the only way to get a NY team (Rags) into the game is at Citi Field or on the road. The NHL would likely rather go to CBP than CitiField (Isles territory), but I wouldn't be surprised to see an NFL venue experience a schedule change and be available for Jan. 2.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Well, Yankee stadium is absolutely on their radar... and we've heard about Citi field, too.

Moreover, the stadium is actually less important for the event than the TV draw... NBC doesn't get any of the gate receipt I'm assuming, and they just put $200M into the NHL's pocket.
Citi Field though was because baseball stadiums is the only way they'll get into New York. I could see that happening. They would have done Old Yankee Stadium, but the league didn't want to foot the bill to keep everything running. Citi Field is also really big, I don't know if New York has a natural fit since the Meadowlands holds two NFL teams, and would be a major logistical issue. They might not be able to get in until they abandon that stupid bowl game, or change the date.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

While New Yankee Stadium would certainly be a dream come true for NBC as well as the NHL, it is booked until at least 2013 between Christmas Eve and New Years Day for the New Era Pinstripe Bowl game... with NYD/NYE most likely the game-day... so hey pretty much are eliminated for the time being. If the bowl proves to be a success they most likely would love to keep it going past 2013.

The Meadowlands new stadium has shared occupancy with Giants and Jets I believe, so an open date there is all but impossible unless there is no NFL season -- but with that being an uncertainty it is not a factor.

That leaves Citi Field as he only NYC Area venue I believe... I haven't heard of any desire to play here though.

Flyers vs Rangers has always been a good rating draw... as good as it could be considering it is hockey... and the largest regular season game during NBC's last contract was between them, IIRC. A Philly based game could be in effect a shared home game with both STHs having ticket access and NY fans would have an easy trip South, and the southern Rags fans would have an even easier trip... Both cities are in the top TV Markets and have deep and very supportive fan bases.

Citi Field could host a City WC with Rags and Isles... but that would eliminate a second major TV market as well as replace a great traveling fan base with a dying and non-caring one as host.

From people I have personally heard speak of it... including Luukko... the Flyers are finalists and the front-runner... I also heard that while football stadiums have better sight-lines, baseball fields are better liked by many for their atmosphere. I personally much rather go with football stadiums after missing so much of the last WC in Fenway's left field bleachers... That said, everything else about Fenway was perfect, bu please keep in mind I didn't have to drive there and park, nor even use public transportation since I was on a group bus with excellent drop off/pick up.

With the Linc gone I'm fine with a Super New Years weekend with a Saturday WC a CBP and a Sunday final NFL game at the Linc and the Mummers free to march down Broad Street without Winter Classic competition.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

After going to a night start because of weather this season, a NYE game just won't happen. In fact, outside of here, I haven't even heard that as an option.
If they schedule for Saturday and can't play, Sunday is out because of the NFL. Also, if they schedule for Saturday and weather delays them until the evening, a lot of the key demographic will be on their way out the door to go party. About the last thing they will do is watch a hockey game until 11 p.m.
The game will be Monday, Jan. 2, or another weekend entirely (unlikely). On Monday, the game goes against the same college bowl games it faces when they play on Jan. 1 every other year.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:28 PM
MrHockey1982

Sooooooooooooo there IS going to be a football season this year?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Sooooooooooooo there IS going to be a football season this year?
The NHL has to plan that way.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
After going to a night start because of weather this season, a NYE game just won't happen. In fact, outside of here, I haven't even heard that as an option.
If they schedule for Saturday and can't play, Sunday is out because of the NFL. Also, if they schedule for Saturday and weather delays them until the evening, a lot of the key demographic will be on their way out the door to go party. About the last thing they will do is watch a hockey game until 11 p.m.
The game will be Monday, Jan. 2, or another weekend entirely (unlikely). On Monday, the game goes against the same college bowl games it faces when they play on Jan. 1 every other year.
Many people who would be attending the WC IMO would love to party after the event if possible... How is that so different than the thousands who were away the NYE to attend in another city?

But even if that would be a problem and 1/2/12 is selected... there is no problem as it is a holiday also and basically the same, except that it doesn't fall on 1/1.

In a big business situation such as this, I'd assume that hey had to have planned that a long-term proposition such as this would have conflicts with weekends and the NFL a couple times each seven or so years (depending on leap years)... NBC knows about he NFL... there had to be an alternate plan for such conflicts that we just don't know about... And come to think about it, I imagine only Sundays are problems here. I bet we hear what NBC has in mind shortly; I believe they have scheduled the announcement the teams for May or so IIRC.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
The NHL has to plan that way.
With so much money to lose by so many people I think they will have a season... one way or another.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Many people who would be attending the WC IMO would love to party after the event if possible... How is that so different than the thousands who were away the NYE to attend in another city?

But even if that would be a problem and 1/2/12 is selected... there is no problem as it is a holiday also and basically the same, except that it doesn't fall on 1/1.

In a big business situation such as this, I'd assume that hey had to have planned that a long-term proposition such as this would have conflicts with weekends and the NFL a couple times each seven or so years (depending on leap years)... NBC knows about he NFL... there had to be an alternate plan for such conflicts that we just don't know about... And come to think about it, I imagine only Sundays are problems here. I bet we hear what NBC has in mind shortly; I believe they have scheduled the announcement the teams for May or so IIRC.
I think you misunderstood where I was going with my post. I think we all had a great NYE in Boston before heading over to Fenway the following day. And we all could have gone to Fenway on NYE and watched if they played then.
I was talking about the potential to lose a TV audience, which is what the game is all about. The NHL fully expects to sell every ticket to the WC. That wouldn't be a problem, regardless of date and time. But very few people will skip their NYE party plans to sit at home and watch the WC if it is again pushed into the evening. And that's what the NHL and NBC need -- people sitting in their own homes tuning in. That makes higher ratings. And if they couldn't play on Dec. 31, the game would be rescheduled for Jan. 2. That would be a media nightmare on many fronts.

Old
04-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
I think you misunderstood where I was going with my post. I think we all had a great NYE in Boston before heading over to Fenway the following day. And we all could have gone to Fenway on NYE and watched if they played then.
I was talking about the potential to lose a TV audience, which is what the game is all about. The NHL fully expects to sell every ticket to the WC. That wouldn't be a problem, regardless of date and time. But very few people will skip their NYE party plans to sit at home and watch the WC if it is again pushed into the evening. And that's what the NHL and NBC need -- people sitting in their own homes tuning in. That makes higher ratings. And if they couldn't play on Dec. 31, the game would be rescheduled for Jan. 2. That would be a media nightmare on many fronts.
Murph, yes I did interpret that incorrectly... and your point is valid and well taken... Again I point to Monday January 2, 2012 as being a work holiday and would serve well as a place to temporarily reschedule the New Years Days new tradition and shield it from losing an audience to the NFL and screwing with NBC's own NFL game presentation... So I fully agree that NYE should be avoided and that Monday holiday off would be a perfect fit.

Sorry for that earlier brain fart while reading your post.

Old
04-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Murph, yes I did interpret that incorrectly... and your point is valid and well taken... Again I point to Monday January 2, 2012 as being a work holiday and would serve well as a place to temporarily reschedule the New Years Days new tradition and shield it from losing an audience to the NFL and screwing with NBC's own NFL game presentation... So I fully agree that NYE should be avoided and that Monday holiday off would be a perfect fit.

Sorry for that earlier brain fart while reading your post.
No problem. The best part for all of us with a Jan. 2 game is the 3-4 days of celebrating NYE. You can get ripped, sober up, get ripped again, sober up and get ripped again before puck drop.