HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruce Boudreau to 105.9, on MSG crowd (Update: Backing down?)

Old
04-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlands View Post
I grew up outside DC.
I see a lot of bandwagoners wearing Ovechkin/Caps shirts and stickers.
I can attest to the fact prior to 2008, I never, ever, in my 19 years in the area saw ONE car and maybe five people wearing Caps gear.
Not even in 1998 when they made finals.

I attended many Caps Rangers games and until 2008, it was always 50/50 (and in fact one game in 1999, the year after the Caps made the finals, they had maybe 12,000 fans at one early season game and it was 75% Rangers fans).

The Caps never drew, they had 10 buck tickets, many giveaways, and inflated attendance because PIT/NYR/PHI/DET and TOR/MON fans would buy blocks of tickets.
They never drew.

In the playoffs when the played the Pens they instituted a policy to block Pens fans out of buying tickets (didn't work).
The next season, they played Tampa in the playoffs, and didn't sell out one game.

I will never forget in 2003, after they lost at home, in front of 14,000 fans for a playoff game with players like Bondra/Jagr/Gonchar/Kolzig....their owner whined and cried to the Washington Post that he was heartbroken and livid over how poorly DC was in supporting the Caps.

That is the DC hockeytown I know and will never forget.
The had good teams in the 80s with Landway and Scott Stevens.
They had solid players like Bondra/Kolzig that many teams aspire to have, and the town ignored them.
This is what DC is, a horrible hockey town that likes to cry poverty and ask for a mulligan for ignoring the sport for 40 years when truth is, only when they have a superstar and "star power" of being a consistent team, then and only then, do they give a ****, and then the have the chuztpah to flaunt themselves as this "passionate" fanbase.

Give me a break.
They still need the scoreboard to instruct fans not only to make noise but also, explain icing and offsides.
DC is a phony bandwagon johnny come lately town.

Proof?
2003 playoffs, game 6, 14,000 fans and their owner blames it on "passover" for a team with Jagr and franchise great Bondra.
That's all you need to know.
Awesome.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:41 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Again, you're basing the passion and support of a team's entire fan base off of one home game in the middle of winter after a season in which they were one of the worst teams in the league. Sure, there arent fans at that particular game, but did you know that Caps local TV ratings jumped 75 percent in 2007-08 from the previous year (Rangers only a 33 pct jump)

Again, i find it completely ridiculous to say the fan base are "bandwagoners" because of attendance figures.

If that's the case, so are Mets fans and Jets fans, who avoided their respective stadiums like the plague during the Bonilla/Kotite years but then magically reappeared in droves once 1998 rolled around (for both teams)

http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/c...s/sheet019.htm

What Boudreau said has absolutely nothing to do with 2007 or 1990 or 1967. It has to do with the present, and sadly, you cant deny that the Caps current fan base is rapid and passionate. When they decided to become that way is completely irrelevant.
Really? They couldn't draw flies back when they sucked, now the team is winning, and they fill the place everynight...that's not bandwagon jumping?

And yes..Mets and Jets fans who all the sudden appeared in 98 ARE band wagon fans, and this is COMING from a die hard Mets fan. Yankee fans were no where to be found in until 1996, and then everyone was wearing a backwards Yankees hat. BAND WAGON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
So, their ratings jumped when they started winning? That's not bandwagon?
Case in point.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:58 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
HUNS!!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
If that's the case, so are Mets fans and Jets fans, who avoided their respective stadiums like the plague during the Bonilla/Kotite years but then magically reappeared in droves once 1998 rolled around (for both teams)

http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/c...s/sheet019.htm
So many Jets fans are bandwagon fans it's not even funny. I remember when I was a kid, the Jets were terrible. I started watching the Jets in the Bruce Coslet era (so 1990ish). I remember being the only person I knew who was a Jets fan or at least outwardly a Jets fan. People used to make fun of me so much for my Jets sucking. I would hate going to school on Mondays (after the Jets lost on Sunday).

Everyone else was a Giants fan, Dolphins, Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, etc. I was the only Jets fan that I knew. Come 1998, suddenly people coming out of the woodwork claiming they were Jets fans all along, yeah, ok.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:04 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
So many Jets fans are bandwagon fans it's not even funny. I remember when I was a kid, the Jets were terrible. I started watching the Jets in the Bruce Coslet era (so 1990ish). I remember being the only person I knew who was a Jets fan or at least outwardly a Jets fan. People used to make fun of me so much for my Jets sucking. I would hate going to school on Mondays (after the Jets lost on Sunday).

Everyone else was a Giants fan, Dolphins, Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, etc. I was the only Jets fan that I knew. Come 1998, suddenly people coming out of the woodwork claiming they were Jets fans all along, yeah, ok.
Let's be honest, New York fans in general are as bandwagon as it gets. The Giants and the Rangers are really the only ones in this area that have a large hard core fan base that sticks with them, winning or losing.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Let's be honest, New York fans in general are as bandwagon as it gets. The Giants and the Rangers are really the only ones in this area that have a large hard core fan base that sticks with them, winning or losing.
I wouldn't say that- some people say New Yorkers bandwagon by switching teams which isn't true. However, there's been a new surge of Jets bandwagoners who were casual football fans, when the Giants won 42 it was the same, and the Yankees have a large bandwagon fanbase.

The Rangers, Mets and Islanders are the only team I don't think anyone bandwagons.

That being said, all NY teams have a very hardcore fanbase too.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
So, their ratings jumped when they started winning? That's not bandwagon?
Ours jumped as well, just like they dropped from 1997 to 2001

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:11 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post

Exactly my point. If that's the case, it's wrong to target a fan base when our fan base does the same thing.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Exactly my point. If that's the case, it's wrong to target a fan base when our fan base does the same thing.
Our hockey fan base doesn't, though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:16 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I wouldn't say that- some people say New Yorkers bandwagon by switching teams which isn't true. However, there's been a new surge of Jets bandwagoners who were casual football fans, when the Giants won 42 it was the same, and the Yankees have a large bandwagon fanbase.

The Rangers, Mets and Islanders are the only team I don't think anyone bandwagons.

The Mets had a massive bandwagon after the 1984 season (Cub-busters video, etc)

In fact, it was mostly women who were obsessed with Darling, Dykstra and Elster. That caused a trickle down to little kids.

A lot of Yankees fans crossed over in the mid-80s. Shea in 1983 was a ghost town. By the end of 1984, Dwight Gooden was painted on the side of buildings on 6th Ave and was in Bruce Springsteen videos.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:

Quote:
I get what both of you are saying, but I think that ANY fanbase when a team wins is going to get it's bandwagoners. Rangers in 94, Red Sox in 04..a lot of Cubs fans came out of the wood work in '03 thinking that was gonna be the year. I can guarantee you if the Rangers get out of this round and some how make it to the Cup finals, you'll get a bunch of supposed Rangers fans coming out of the wood work. But what separates us and some of the teams from other fan bases is that after the hype is over, and once the team slides into a bad stretch of years, there is a large hardcore fan base, that will still fill the building. And most of it has to do with the team being around for 85 plus years. I am surprised that the Yankees, with them being around over 100 years, don't have a bigger hardcore fanbase, that would allow that stadium to be empty like it was during the late 80's early 90's.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:26 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Our hockey fan base doesn't, though.
I have seen this organization attract two generations of bandwagons -- 1994 and 2006.

It's my contention that the Caps fans you see at the Verizon Center are over half the die-hards from the 1980s and 90s. The rest are the casual fans.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Well, MSL, what you contend is simply untrue. I know because I live here. Drive on down to DC if you'd like to see for yourself. I have an extra room.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

There are plenty of bandwagon Rangers fans. You never hear a word about the Rangers until they're in the playoffs or are contenders. In 94, everyone and their mother was suddenly Rangers fans.

Every team has bandwagon fans. The true test is how many real fans there are. The Rangers have enough diehards to fill the arena even when they miss the playoffs 7 years straight and still get decent tv ratings. Other teams have one or two bad years and the arena is empty and TV ratings are pathetic.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Growing up I was a Jets, Rangers, Yankees, and a Knicks fan. If someone ever called me a bandwagoner I would be pissed. The only team that had success and that I was a fan of is the Yankees, everyone else has been terrible-mediocre until the Jets reached the Rex Ryan era.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
There are plenty of bandwagon Rangers fans. You never hear a word about the Rangers until they're in the playoffs or are contenders. In 94, everyone and their mother was suddenly Rangers fans.

Every team has bandwagon fans. The true test is how many real fans there are. The Rangers have enough diehards to fill the arena even when they miss the playoffs 7 years straight and still get decent tv ratings. Other teams have one or two bad years and the arena is empty and TV ratings are pathetic.
Winner right there, sir

Old
04-20-2011, 04:36 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
"I was waiting for it," Boudreau said Tuesday when the first question about his comments from the day before was asked. "You know, you guys mustn't have a lot of work to do, because they're making improvements to the arena. Are they not? Are they not making $800 million worth of improvements to the arena? It's a fabulous place to play, the atmosphere is great -- it's the world's most famous arena. All I said was that the conditions in the dressing room were not up to par."

Boudreau is a dumb ass. He is now going back on his words? The bolded part is exactly opposite of what he said the other day...does he think we are idiots? I hope the crowd really gives it to this clown tonight...

04-20-2011, 04:38 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
"I was waiting for it," Boudreau said Tuesday when the first question about his comments from the day before was asked. "You know, you guys mustn't have a lot of work to do, because they're making improvements to the arena. Are they not? Are they not making $800 million worth of improvements to the arena? It's a fabulous place to play, the atmosphere is great -- it's the world's most famous arena. All I said was that the conditions in the dressing room were not up to par."

Boudreau is a dumb ass. He is now going back on his words? The bolded part is exactly opposite of what he said the other day...does he think we are idiots? I hope the crowd really gives it to this clown tonight...
Yeah, exactly. I saw that, and did a double take! Roast Fatty McFatterson tonight!!

Old
04-20-2011, 04:42 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
I have seen this organization attract two generations of bandwagons -- 1994 and 2006.

It's my contention that the Caps fans you see at the Verizon Center are over half the die-hards from the 1980s and 90s. The rest are the casual fans.
we got bandwagon fans from the 2006 season?

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
I know what hes saying, basically saying that Jagr, Nylander ,Straka, and the goal scoring threat Prucha (not to forget a rookie Lundqvist, and all the people [in my area anyway] comparing Lundqvists rookie season to Richters and how we were gonna win the cup that year) brought in all the new fans.

or maybe I missed it completely, who knows.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:58 PM
owedoyle

Quote:
We absolutely did. I think that was our first year back into the playoffs, and Jagr had that ridiculous season. Everyone and their uncle was on facebook with a LGR. Just like all the Giants Fans suddenly appeared when they made it to the superbowl.

We've got em fursure
Case in point:
1:45 mark, "Who?"
3:05 mark, "Screamin' ovah the nat'l anthem's rood, innit?"

Actually, nevermind, this is probably the Dolan Suite

owedoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:01 PM
EEDAWGZ

I don't know, but from my experience with New yorkers and Hockey is that there aren't any band wagoners, you either love hockey or you hate it , not counting females ,I have yet to meet anyone who was a fake fan of this team

Old
04-20-2011, 05:06 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Growing up I was a Jets, Rangers, Yankees, and a Knicks fan. If someone ever called me a bandwagoner I would be pissed. The only team that had success and that I was a fan of is the Yankees, everyone else has been terrible-mediocre until the Jets reached the Rex Ryan era.
Yeah same here. I've been called a bandwagoning fan for being a Jets fan. If they only knew how frustrating it is being a fan of that team and sticking with them through thick and thin. I am slightly bandwagony when it comes to the Knicks though. I used to be a fan when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's but I lost interest in basketball when I started watching hockey. I haven't missed one game post lockout. I even drove home from work because my Tivo wasn't letting me remotely program it and I was flipping out that I was going to miss a game. It's an hour back home lol.

bettercallstaal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:07 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by owedoyle View Post
We absolutely did. I think that was our first year back into the playoffs, and Jagr had that ridiculous season. Everyone and their uncle was on facebook with a LGR. Just like all the Giants Fans suddenly appeared when they made it to the superbowl.

We've got em fursure
Case in point:
1:45 mark, "Who?"
3:05 mark, "Screamin' ovah the nat'l anthem's rood, innit?"

Actually, nevermind, this is probably the Dolan Suite
You got a good point there, was 06 our first year back in the P O's? could sworn it was a seven year drought, duh forgot about the lockout

Last edited by EEDAWGZ: 04-20-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old
04-20-2011, 05:07 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

Quote:
I don't know, but from my experience with New yorkers and Hockey is that there aren't any band wagoners, you either love hockey or you hate it , not counting females ,I have yet to meet anyone who was a fake fan of this team
I've met a couple and all of them have been Devils "fans"

bettercallstaal is online now   Reply With Quote